Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Some drivers are too kind...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-10, 11:19 AM
corkscrew

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So I was in a hurry, and rode the short path on surface streets to work today. (Normally take a longer MUP route).

At one point I have to cross an overpass. The bike lane goes away over this thing, but there is enough room for me to ride to the right of the white line, and not be on the sidewalk.

I'm about halfway across when I hear a car idling behind me. Check my shoulder and sure enough a lady in minivan is about 20 feet behind me, driving at about my speed. Behind her are several other cars with angry looking drivers.

She didn't pass me until the bike lane resumed.

I'm glad shes looking out for me (and assuming other cyclists as well), but I don't think this was needed. I feel like its actually a bad thing because it annoyed several other drivers who may want to target cyclists because of it.

Thoughts?
Old 05-21-10, 11:32 AM
GoLoaf

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7 / 105 / Double

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder if the drivers could even tell why the lady was going slow. So they're annoyed by the lady. And by the time they realize she was pacing you, and that they find out you would have been easy to pass, they're still annoyed at the lady.

My rant: Drivers being too nice at 4 way stops are the worst.
Old 05-21-10, 11:40 AM
JeremyZ

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Searcher GS, 2007 Dahon Curve D3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you're right. They're mad at the lady AND at you. They can't retaliate at the lady, as she is also in a cage. But you are an easy target.

I think it boils down to the lady now knowing for sure where the edge of her car was, so she decided to wait it out. My wife doesn't know where the right edge of her car is either and may have done the same thing.

Men usually take the risk and pass, but then they sometimes also clip us with mirrors. I would just give her a wave and not worry about it. It sure beats her clipping you because she doesn't know where her car is.
Old 05-21-10, 12:03 PM
Minstrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When driving a car I'd rather err on the side of caution than allow any desire to pass in a spot that might be too narrow to do so safely result in injury. If I can't see enough road ahead to know I won't be encroaching on unknown oncoming traffic, or if I'm going to turn just ahead, or if the road is too narrow, I'll just wait rather than trying to squeeze by. Yesterday I paced a guy riding pretty slowly for about 3 blocks because of the signal timing, varying lane widths and a need to turn right at the end of the 3rd block. Don't feel self conscious and be happy when a person is more thoughtful or cautious than is strictly necessary. It's certainly preferable to the alternative!
Old 05-21-10, 12:16 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
Sounds to me like she doesn't know how to drive a car, and she shouldn't be doing it.

I had something similar happen to me last weekend; I actually had to stop and glare at the lady to get her to pass me.
Old 05-21-10, 12:20 PM
sm1960

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate the drivers that slow for me on questionable sections where they could pass but choose to wait an extra 10 seconds to be sure.
Old 05-21-10, 12:30 PM
corkscrew

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I should have waved her past I suppose. This really is why I prefer the MUP.

My favorite drivers are the ones that take the right of way when its theirs, pass me with 3 feet of clearance, and basically just treat me like another member of traffic. The jerks are out there sure, but the special treatment like this makes me feel like we're the "special-ed" members of traffic - with our helmets and all.
Old 05-21-10, 07:10 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I were in that situation, I think I would pull over and let em all by.
Old 05-21-10, 07:18 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I'd rather a driver be overly safe than do something dangerous.
Old 05-21-10, 09:29 PM
cyclokitty 
Not safe for work

Bikes: KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I appreciate it when drivers try not to squeeze past me on the narrow stretches on the roads. I've had similiar experiences of a driver waiting it out until the road widens (typically a half block away) rather than drive so close to me I can feel the car against my leg. It's even worse if the intersection is narrow and a car insists on sharing the lane and comes close to driving over my foot -- usually a taxi.
Old 05-21-10, 09:33 PM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nope, sorry, I'm not going to advocate giving bikes room and then complain about the ones that are nice. doesn't seem right.
Old 05-21-10, 09:38 PM
heff56

Bikes: 2010 Motobecane Track Bike, 2007 Trek 7.4 Hybrid, 1995 Ross Adventurer Fixie Conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a guy keep pace with me for about 30 seconds. I did not really think to much of it, then he rolled down his window and said FYI you are riding 18MPH right now. That was nice because now I have an idea what MPH I am at that cadence.

Maybe he was a cyclist or maybe he was just a physics nerd.
Old 05-22-10, 09:11 PM
damnable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You didn't give enough information for me to tell if it was safe for her to pass you or not.

When driving I err on the side of caution, even if it means stalking you for a while. I don't care (within reasons) if motorists get stuck behind me when I'm cycling, and I have the same attitude when I am waiting behind a cyclist when a motorist.
Old 05-23-10, 08:30 AM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not so sure she was watching out for you as much as she is a crappy driver.

Sorry for the stereotype ladies of the forum but the car riding my butt WAY to close is almost always a minivan with a female driver.

Some drivers (and it seems to be much more prevalent with women, especially in Minvans and SUV's) I think fixate on the lines on the road. They are incapable of guiding the vehicle down the road without the lines to guide them. When something is between those lines they are stuck there unable to over come without a LOT of anxiety.
Old 05-23-10, 10:10 AM
bmt074

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just be happy when drivers are nice to you . Most posts regarding drivers in these forums are about how they are big jerks. I wouldn't complain when they are being cautious around you - even if you feel they are being overly cautious.

When drivers feel uncomfortable passing me I just up the pace to 20+ mph until I can get to a spot where I can get out of their way.
Old 05-24-10, 10:33 AM
corkscrew

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am happy the lady was being nice, but I don't think it is a good thing for cyclists in general. One nice lady created 3 angry drivers.

That being said, it was safe for her to pass me, just like the many other cars that pass me on that overpass throughout the year. I was even to the right of the white line, so the lady should have been able to see the "guide" lines.
Old 05-24-10, 10:58 AM
johnce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Come on!
I've heard all this stuff before, seems to me we're talking about a tough crowd to please.

How many times do you hear all the stories about the bad driver this or that? then we have someone who was obviously lookin' out for your well-being and we're going to get our undies in a knot over that?

Man if thats the worst thing you have to deal with thank your lucky stars!

I for one would've givin' her a thumbs up. might wanna try finding something else to worry about.
Old 05-24-10, 11:12 AM
corkscrew

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trust me, I've ran into bad drivers, and they've ruined my day to the point where I don't want to think about it anymore, let alone rant about it online!

I just thought this was an interesting situation, and thought it warranted discussion. Driver is nice to cyclist, but generates more driver angst in the process.
Old 05-24-10, 02:58 PM
jaebberwock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get the impression that motorists just can't win with this crowd.
Old 05-24-10, 03:47 PM
ichitz
Nü-Fred

Bikes: Torelli Tipo Uno (stolen), Peugeot Nice, Mercier Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^
it's true.

Last week I was on the way to work on a bike path (on left of the street) with 4 car lanes to the right of me. In nyc most streets are single direction. So at the next intersection a car was about to make a left about 40 feet ahead. But since he have to cross the bike lane to make a left, he stopped the car and signal for me to pass while 3 cars behind him honked.
Old 05-24-10, 04:18 PM
Derreck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will take too nice over dangerous any day, but sometimes a driver being nice makes a fine situation dangerous. I agree that 4 way stops can be bad news.
Old 05-24-10, 04:47 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by corkscrew
I'm glad shes looking out for me (and assuming other cyclists as well), but I don't think this was needed. I feel like its actually a bad thing because it annoyed several other drivers who may want to target cyclists because of it.

Thoughts?
I think she just found you cute, and wanted a look at your butt. Were you wearing spandex?