Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Idiot Drivers...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Idiot Drivers...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-10, 05:22 PM
swak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Idiot Drivers...

Today i was riding to work, about a 15min commute, straight through downtown.
Im in lane 1, car in lane 2... Car moves into lane 1, i have nowhere to go (and not that i really could, even if i had a way out, he changed lanes so abruptly - i was f-'d either way). Thus, car slams into me, i put significant damage to his side door and mirror, and he f-'s up my bike.

Words get exchanged, all that i really heard was "sorry, i didn't see you".... NO KIDDING!

Damages to bike were just ripped bar tape, and a screwed cable, so i left it at that, and he has a mirror to replace.

How would you have dealt with this? It doesn't happen often, so i didnt really know what to do... Call the cops? Would they do anything?
Exchange info?

All i did was pretty well tell him to go f- himself and left it at that.
Old 05-26-10, 05:49 PM
hedied4u1313

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was just recently hit and I had to learn this the hard way. Always call the police. It makes everything easier. Its also very possible that the police will cite the driver. Calling the police makes it easier to decide blame when working with the insurance company. If you call the police, they come out and in my city, there is a "non-emergency" number. It should be called "the runaround number." it took me almost 2 weeks to finish a police report.

always call the police.

-Hedied4u1313
Old 05-26-10, 05:52 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yelling and fighting with the driver is the worst thing you can do. The one who stays calm usually gets away better off. A driver who knows they might have done something wrong will usually be intimidated by a victim who is calm, collected and confident. Most drivers don't know the laws very well or at all. So don't argue, don't yell, don't curse this will always work against you if cops or insurance are involved.

In your case: a car mirror can be a couple of hundred bucks. He wouldn't let you go if he knew it wasn't his fault. He knew well what he's done. That's why he let it go and was happy you did what you did.

If the damage to your bike is not substantial (for me would be under $100) and you're not hurt badly I'd let it go. I have no time for dealing with legal mess and insurance. For me it just wouldn't be worth it. I would just calmly explain to the driver that I'm doing him a huge freaking favor, because I just don't have the time to deal with this.

Otherwise, I'm not really sure what I'd do. I guess I'd call 911, get a police report, make sure the cops don't screw up the report and get everything down as it was, get the driver insurance info. Stay calm and be cool with the cops. Cops, like most other people, get annoyed by people cursing and screaming. They're more likely to show more understanding and respect towards you this way. Don't be a jerk on a bike.

Also, my employer provides legal benefits where I can get a lawyer for free, so I'd probably do that immediately if this was serious. Plus, if you have a med insurance they would go after the driver's insurance to get their money back if it was his fault so he'd be in lots of legal trouble.

So, yeah, I know it's easier said than done, but being calm and collected in the face of an accident is the best way to deal with it.
Old 05-26-10, 06:52 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Any damage to property or self, call the cops.

"I didn't see you" is not an excuse, it's an admission that the driver is not qualified to drive a motor vehicle on public roads. He's REQUIRED to see you and drive safely around all legitimate road users.
Old 05-26-10, 07:16 PM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In CA, any accident that involve in greater than $750 (I think that's what it is at the moment) has to be reported. If the car door was damage, it can get costly to repaint given the cost of labor and overhead here in the Golden State. Personally, I would have reported the accident even if it was less than what the rules are set here. I personally like to leave the scene if there are some form of damage. Too easy for the driver to make up some story and claim it later on as a hit and run in your part if there was not a cop taking a report.
Old 05-26-10, 07:56 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Lately, our local motorists will turn into Mr./Ms. Hyde when it rains, just yesterday I had three near misses, and a deliberate right hook. Today has sunshine and everybody reverts back to Mr./Ms. Jekyll.
Old 05-27-10, 09:54 AM
fredgarvin7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should have checked for more traffic, carefully rolled off the bike onto the street and clutched your spine intoning: "My back. My back. Oh my God, my back."
Old 05-27-10, 10:51 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
sounds like you did fine. you might reconsider the event to protect yourself in the future if possible. too bad you got hit - I've come close but been lucky so far. tempers flare and that's hard to avoid but try next time. I do
Old 05-28-10, 09:08 AM
Keithmj
Bus Driver

Bikes: Trek 1.2 Trek 7.2FX Troker single speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Always call the police no matter how minor, if nothing else just to cover your arse..I was just wondering where you are positioned in the lane when you are riding? Most who get hit or squeezed off the road are to far right. And for those who have questions about this go to https://www.dot.state.fl.us/safety/pe.../pdf/index.htm and look at "Where to ride on the road" I know this is for Florida but it should apply to most states..You can ride where you want but your safety comes first..If there is not enough room for a bicycle and a vehicle side by side I take the whole lane and control it making them go around me, sure it ticks some drivers off but I haven't been run off the road or hit yet, knock on wood..Cheers.
Old 05-29-10, 09:33 AM
swak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^This was downtown, i was in the far left lane (1 way street), and closer to the RH side of that lane, as there were parked cars on the side up ahead.

Car in lane right beside me, decides he wants to be in the lane im in, in the exact same spot apparently, and BAM!
Old 05-29-10, 10:13 AM
Jtgyk

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like he didn't see you because he didn't check his blind-spot.
Probably would have hit another car or truck as well if one had been in your place.
Had he overtaken you? Or was he driving along beside you at a slower (downtown traffic) speed?
In any case, whether distracted or oblivious, the driver is a Dick for not checking before a lane change.

My nice new Nashbar Touring Build AKA "The Flying Avocadooooooooo!"
1998(?) Trek 700 Multitrack
1995 Trek 1220 AKA "Jimi"
Older Non-suspension Specialized Hardrock
Old 05-29-10, 10:17 AM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by fredgarvin7
You should have checked for more traffic, carefully rolled off the bike onto the street and clutched your spine intoning: "My back. My back. Oh my God, my back."
this
Old 05-29-10, 11:00 PM
Keithmj
Bus Driver

Bikes: Trek 1.2 Trek 7.2FX Troker single speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by swak
^This was downtown, i was in the far left lane (1 way street), and closer to the RH side of that lane, as there were parked cars on the side up ahead.

Car in lane right beside me, decides he wants to be in the lane im in, in the exact same spot apparently, and BAM!

Sounds like you were doing what I would of. Call Morgan and Morgan or your local lawyer. Did you notice if he was talking on a cell phone or reading "War and Peace"? I see nuts doing this all the time. Just glad that you weren't hurt but try and call the police next time as this would be the same as hitting a pedestrian. And try to stay out of the blind spot but knowing drivers he probably was in a hurry and just didn't care..Stay safe out there..Cheers.
Old 05-29-10, 11:38 PM
frpax
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
+ a bazillion on calling the cops.
Old 05-30-10, 12:12 AM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1602 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by fredgarvin7
Like this guy (the passenger)....