Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Second Annual 50+ Forum Ride Weekend (Official Thread)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Second Annual 50+ Forum Ride Weekend (Official Thread)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-10, 07:19 PM
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great reports everyone! I am now back home following rides along the Erie Canal.

I learned some things from reading these reports. I obviously should have spent Saturday night at the dining hall rather than the campsite. I heard a lot of cheers but I thought it was just the hula hoop competition. Much more happening than I thought, including Jim's martinis.

Speaking of Jim from Boston, he looked terrible when he walked into the dining hall. His helmet looked like it was glued on and he appeared to have been in battle. I felt terrible following my 33-mile ride in that humid weather, and I can't imaging how anyone 50+ could do 82, including those horrible hills. Forum member Ed (I already forget his forum name) also did 85+.

The best part was meeting everyone. They were all wonderful!
Old 06-15-10, 07:56 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
I wanted to make a separate post for Beverly.

What can I say about the pleasure of hanging around and riding with with Beverly that hasn't already been said by everyone? To me she is sometimes a sister, sometimes a mother, sometimes a co-worker, sometimes a fellow soldier in a foxhole, but mostly she is a friend.

Beverly bought a new car, equipped it with a first class 4 bike rack and drove three of us (****ers all), plus our gear and our bikes to Finger Lakes and back taking a full blast of our teasing and other shenanigans without uttering one bad word. The lady is a saint. Thanks Beverly, from the bottom of my heart.
Thanks, Louis. I enjoyed every minute of the trip and I'm glad I finally had to chance to meet your wife....she's a real sweetheart.

I do quite a bit of riding with those other two ****ers so I'm used to the teasing. Neither of their wives ride so they send them off with me to get them out of their hair for a few days. Their wives sometimes join us on our bike trips and SAG for us.

We talked about coming back to Norton later this year and taking you up on the ride on the towpath. We were thinking October might be a good time to ride the trail. We'll be in touch.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-16-10, 10:02 AM
groth
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Folks -

Here is a photo album (not 50+ specific) of the recent GFLBT.

It was good to meet a few of you and have faces to go with avatars and screen names!

- Ed
Old 06-16-10, 03:47 PM
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken Brown
Forum member Ed (I already forget his forum name) also did 85+.
Ed Groth! Sorry I forgot your name. That was an awesome ride you (and Jim from Boston) did.
Old 06-16-10, 04:17 PM
groth
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Ed Groth! Sorry I forgot your name. That was an awesome ride you (and Jim from Boston) did.
Ken -

No problem!

Next time we're on the same ride be sure and stop by for a beer - we always have a full cooler!

(Hmmm.... I suppose according to 50+ forum conventions, I should have offered pie - but that's a lot harder to keep fresh!)

- Ed
Old 06-16-10, 05:43 PM
Louis

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Ed! Yes...now I remember, you're the guy who came over to our table back in the corner and introduced himself. My memory is slipping.

Good to see you on this forum. Stick around.
Old 06-16-10, 06:19 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by groth
Folks -

Here is a photo album (not 50+ specific) of the recent GFLBT.

It was good to meet a few of you and have faces to go with avatars and screen names!

- Ed
Ah! So you're the guy with the Greenspeed delta tandem. I've admired that bike at GFLBT for years.

We spoke briefly on Friday while you were looking for a stoker. Sadly, I'm too tall.

Any chance of splicing in a couple of inches before next year?
Old 06-16-10, 06:31 PM
rtool

Bikes: 2014 ICE Spring FSX

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Louis, I enjoyed meeting your and your lovely wife (Mattie – sp?). As Beverly said, we are all looking forward to riding the towpath this fall. Had a great time meeting many of the 50+ members, and thoroughly enjoyed the great food and ride. Hope our cycling paths cross many more times. Finally, remember if Beverly parks her car – get out fast – before she locks you in. But it was fun setting off her car alarm. Again, it was great meeting all of you.
Old 06-16-10, 07:38 PM
Louis

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rtool
Louis, I enjoyed meeting your and your lovely wife (Mattie – sp?). As Beverly said, we are all looking forward to riding the towpath this fall. Had a great time meeting many of the 50+ members, and thoroughly enjoyed the great food and ride. Hope our cycling paths cross many more times. Finally, remember if Beverly parks her car – get out fast – before she locks you in. But it was fun setting off her car alarm. Again, it was great meeting all of you.
Hey Dick, welcome to Bike Forums 50+.

Maddy was very glad to meet the three of you as well, and will be anxious to come up with some culinary delights when we ride the towpath from here in October.

We're going to have to figure out how to disable the door locking feature on Beverly's car before it gets to be dangerous for all of us.
Old 06-16-10, 07:40 PM
miss kenton

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rtool
rtool,
Glad to see you joined the forum!
Old 06-17-10, 06:24 AM
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome Dick! I won't ask what "rtool" means because it is likely naughty. I presume you are the one who gets locked in cars, as opposed to your twin who gets locked in bathrooms.
Old 06-17-10, 08:17 AM
rtool

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome Dick! I won't ask what "rtool" means because it is likely naughty. I presume you are the one who gets locked in cars, as opposed to your twin who gets locked in bathrooms.
rtool = Richard Tool, my name. My friends call me Dick, which is a nickname for Richard. See it wasn't naughty afterall, but it could have been knowing me. Yes, I'm the one Beverly locked in her car, and I must say I'm better looking than John, the one who gets locked in bathrooms. It was great meeting you, hope our cycling paths cross many more times.
Old 06-17-10, 09:13 AM
bikerjohn
a fat old bus driver

Location: Spencerport, NY; on the Erie canal, a great towpath for biking!

Bikes: Specialized '05"Globe"; Royce Union "Express"; Dahon "Cadenza"; Bianchi "Castro Valley commuter"; Cruzbike "Sofrider" FWD recumbent;

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome "Tooley"! I live next door to an R.Toole -a retired tech math teacher and Basketball coach; Around here Dick is known as "Tooley". As in, "Tooley? Ahh you know Tooley, He's alright!" Tooley walks 5-6 miles around the block everyday. He and Marylou have been fixtures in the neighborhood for decades. Tooley is sort of like a self <S>righteous</S> appointed Mayor of Hinkleyville!

His son Richard is a great guy! You can always see him jogging and walking the towpath.
Old 06-17-10, 10:14 AM
groth
astro

Originally Posted by tsl
Ah! So you're the guy with the Greenspeed delta tandem. I've admired that bike at GFLBT for years.

We spoke briefly on Friday while you were looking for a stoker. Sadly, I'm too tall.

Any chance of splicing in a couple of inches before next year?
tsl - it might be easier to cut a couple of inches out of your legs!

The seats are fixed relative to the frame and adjustment is made by moving the bottom brackets which requires adjusting the lengths of one (stoker) or two (captain) chains. The upper limit on the stoker's height is when the pedals run into the back of the captain's seat.

Since I often have different stokers, I made a chain tensioner for the timing chain, so I don't need to add or remove links.

Anyway, I have a web page which gives details on the trike and its assembly.

- Ed
Old 06-17-10, 06:26 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Originally Posted by groth
tsl - it might be easier to cut a couple of inches out of your legs!
Old 06-22-10, 02:43 PM
miss kenton

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Yep, we have to actually deal with (and sometimes touch and occasionally clean up after) the bums and assorted crazy people that the cops just drive past.

I forgot to ask, do you read the online library comic Unshelved?
We have "Unshelved " comics plastered all over the Reference department staff areas! I also love this:
https://libetiquette.blogspot.com/
Old 06-22-10, 05:24 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Yep, we have to actually deal with (and sometimes touch and occasionally clean up after) the bums and assorted crazy people that the cops just drive past.

I forgot to ask, do you read the online library comic Unshelved?
Originally Posted by miss kenton
We have "Unshelved " comics plastered all over the Reference department staff areas! I also love this:
https://libetiquette.blogspot.com/
OK you two, since you've strayed off topic to talk shop...Though I'm not a librarian, I know someone who plays one on the radio. Did'ja ever hear of Ruth Harrison, Reference Librarian on NPR's Prairie Home Companion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEq7ADBGW-8
Old 06-23-10, 07:15 AM
miss kenton

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
OK you two, since you've strayed off topic to talk shop...Though I'm not a librarian, I know someone who plays one on the radio. Did'ja ever hear of Ruth Harrison, Reference Librarian on NPR's Prairie Home Companion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEq7ADBGW-8
Someone introduced me to the Ruth Harrison character several months ago. I must concede, there is something very familiar about her.
Old 06-28-10, 02:37 PM
rtool

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
That is so funny since Dick and John often call me "Mom" and I refer to them as "the boys". I'm sure Dick will forgive you for calling him Bob much sooner than he's going to forgive me for my little "OOPS".
I have been called a lot of things worse than "Bob," which is not a problem. But I will probably never forgive "Mom" for locking me in her car, well, maybe some day if she buys enough beer.
Enjoyed meeting everyone, so sorry we got rained out Sunday, was really looking forward to more riding. I can't believe seenoevil found a better bike for $20 than the one he was riding. I never have that kind of luck. Looking forward to the next time we can ride together.
Old 08-22-10, 08:03 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I've finally sat down and read some of this, and it's clear a very good time was had by all! I'm very sorry I've missed out on this 50+ ride, but very glad that I have met one of us -- LOUIS! He was on the tour I did take this summer, the Shoreline Michigan Upper Peninsula tour run by League of Michigan Bicyclists. He even rode teh same green LeMonde. We had a few good conversations in Sault Sainte Marie.

I left that tour early, to get started on preparations for my new job - I got the offer while on the Tour.
Old 08-23-10, 04:34 AM
Jim from Boston

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I've finally sat down and read some of this, and it's clear a very good time was had by all! I'm very sorry I've missed out on this 50+ ride, but very glad that I have met one of us -- LOUIS!
FYA, see these two recent threads on the Fifty+ Forum:

3rd Annual 50+ Ride? Anyone?
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...50-Ride-Anyone

A priori - purpose (if any) of 50+ "annual ride"
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...nual-ride-quot

Just now I read the latter thread and noted that you have already posted to it. Oh well, I'll still post this note for general reference.
Old 09-13-10, 04:14 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Jim, thanks for those links. I've contributed to both threads on and off.

Right now I want to catch up on the discussion process toward the 3rd event to come this summer - who's thinking what, et cetera.

Also, I might be available for the towpath ride in October.

And I am planning to ride the Blue Water Ramble, a multi-distance ride (30ish routes up to 100ish routes) that starts in Eastern Michigan, crosses into Canada, and returns to Michigan. No-drop, especially we don't leave anyone in Canada! Unless they want to stay ...

So that is perhaps a near-term invitation, if registration is still open. It's typically in early/mid October. This year, it's October 3.

Last edited by Road Fan; 09-13-10 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-11-12, 02:13 PM
apaulo1958

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will there be a Third Annual (50+) Crystal River to New Smyrna Bch. FL Trek?

I missed the Second Annual Disorganized Fifty-Plus (50+) Ride Across Florida Trek (128nm). Will there be another? Also need to hear from riders who did the Second Annual Ride Across Florida on 11-13-2011. I cycle at minimum 50nm per day (57.5 statute miles). Riders inquiring about the Third Annual 50+ Ride, please reply to thread.
Old 01-11-12, 06:44 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

I think you may have confused two different ride series.

This particular one has never been to Florida, and here, 50+ means age not miles. Last year 3rd Annual was in Ann Arbor Michigan. This year will be the 4th Annual and is just outside Nashville, as I recall.

Not sure where to direct you for your ride across Florida.
Old 01-11-12, 07:32 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by apaulo1958
I missed the Second Annual Disorganized Fifty-Plus (50+) Ride Across Florida Trek (128nm). Will there be another? Also need to hear from riders who did the Second Annual Ride Across Florida on 11-13-2011. I cycle at minimum 50nm per day (57.5 statute miles). Riders inquiring about the Third Annual 50+ Ride, please reply to thread.
Originally Posted by tsl
I think you may have confused two different ride series.

This particular one has never been to Florida, and here, 50+ means age not miles. Last year 3rd Annual was in Ann Arbor Michigan. This year will be the 4th Annual and is just outside Nashville, as I recall.

Not sure where to direct you for your ride across Florida.
The disorganized ride across florida is being organized by Kurt Erlenbach - a judge in Florida, and a member of the 50+ forum. I believe it is something like 125 miles.

You might PM him - if you have over 50 posts.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-11-12 at 07:35 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.