Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

LOOK 5.1 Pedals

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

LOOK 5.1 Pedals

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-05, 01:21 PM
Nashville Man

Bikes: Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOOK 5.1 Pedals

I've seen a lot of posts about pedals but relatively few mentions of using this pedal. Are there any of you that use them? I use them currently and they are my first clipless pedal so I don't have anything to relate them to. I really like the wide platform they offer but I'm curious why it seems there are so few users? Thoughts?
Old 04-26-05, 01:33 PM
john5211

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perhaps us 5.1 users are a very quite bunch .

They are also the only clipless pedal I've ever used so I can't relate them to other pedals, but I've been very happy with them. It took me about an hour of going up and down the street clipping in and out to figure out how to do it proficiently; I haven't had any problems with it since. I like the adjustable float ... no float and I get a little knee pain, 3 degrees and everything is okay. I suppose this means my cleats could be better lined up, but whatever.

I think you can get a lot of the SPD type pedals for less, so maybe that's one reason that you don't hear about as many 5.1 users?

John
Old 04-26-05, 01:35 PM
Steelrider

Bikes: Albert Eisentraut custom w/DA, Kestrel RT 700 w/Ultegra, Jamis Tangier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used Looks pretty much my entire cycling life and there are tons of users out there. Perhaps not on this forum/among those who choose to comment. Part of the issue is that Look is a clipless pioneer, has been around so long, and has so many different models out there - current models, as well as past models - that it's hard to keep up. I had their first racing model, then upgraded to PP396's and recently got a second set of the same for my other bike on clearance - they were the top of the line a couple of years back. You can search different sites and probably come up with 7-10 different models out there that you could buy, and there are probably more. Especially when you factor in things like color, signature models (TdF, Jalabert, etc.). They aren't the newest, sexiest, or most trendy, but are rock-solid reliable and proven products used by everyone from racers to recreational riders and everything in between. Point being that just because you don't see specific postings on your model, doesn't mean there aren't a ton out there.
Old 04-26-05, 01:37 PM
Nashville Man

Bikes: Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe.....I agree on the float issue. I love them.

Not many hills in Urbana to test out the climbs in them! Lots of good, straight, county roads though!
Old 04-26-05, 01:58 PM
john5211

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nashville Man
Not many hills in Urbana to test out the climbs in them! Lots of good, straight, county roads though!
Aint that the truth ... I simulate hills by going back and forth over the highway overpasses a bunch .

Seriously, though ... I love those country roads ... and while we don't have any hills out here we do get plenty of wind this time of year. Really I think I'd trade that 25 mph headwind for a couple of steep hills most days.
Old 04-26-05, 03:25 PM
TrekDen
Double Naught Spy

Bikes: 2010 Scott CR1 Comp, 2013 Scott Scale 960 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heck, I use everything mentioned above. The Look A5.1's are great pedals to take on my country roads, with wind, and hills all mixed into one. I think Shimano has a lot of pull with most LBS's, and that's why you tend to see more of that style pedal over brands like Look. Most shops are only large enough to carry, and display a limited variety of components.
Old 04-26-05, 03:35 PM
ProParadox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by john5211
Aint that the truth ... I simulate hills by going back and forth over the highway overpasses a bunch .

Seriously, though ... I love those country roads ... and while we don't have any hills out here we do get plenty of wind this time of year. Really I think I'd trade that 25 mph headwind for a couple of steep hills most days.
Agreed. I too find the winds of central illinois to be a bit much.

You guys on IBRC?
Old 04-26-05, 03:47 PM
astrocub

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
read through some of the other threads on pedals to see the pros and cons
of pedal-types discussed in detail. my opinion is that Look pedals (w/ the
exception of the new Keo pedal) are not so great. first, there is the famous
look-squeek that develops. folks will claim that the new teflon-coated cleats
correct this issue, but that is not true for all. i have a pair of A5.1s and a
teammate of mine has a pair and both squeek still. while the adjustable
float is nice, Look's tend to have huge stack heights and are heavy. i could
go on and on.

bottom line: if you can get the A5.1 pedals at a good price, then they are
a good first pedal. otherwise, i'd look into the shimano, campy, and time
pedals.
Old 04-26-05, 05:55 PM
Steelrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by astrocub
read through some of the other threads on pedals to see the pros and cons
of pedal-types discussed in detail. my opinion is that Look pedals (w/ the
exception of the new Keo pedal) are not so great. first, there is the famous
look-squeek that develops. folks will claim that the new teflon-coated cleats
correct this issue, but that is not true for all. i have a pair of A5.1s and a
teammate of mine has a pair and both squeek still. while the adjustable
float is nice, Look's tend to have huge stack heights and are heavy. i could
go on and on.

bottom line: if you can get the A5.1 pedals at a good price, then they are
a good first pedal. otherwise, i'd look into the shimano, campy, and time
pedals.
If you really examine the weight issue, I think you'll find the differences to be pretty negligible - especially for the average non-racer. I have nothing against Speedplay and will probably try a pair in the future, but it won't be primarily for weight reasons (look at the combined weight of cleats and pedals on the mid-low end...). Check out some of the actual weights at someplace like weightweenies or do some research and you might be less impressed. Never really had a problem with creaking, although I know it happens. The cost/performance factor for the average rider makes them a pretty good value.
Old 04-26-05, 06:38 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
The red arc cleats has pretty much eliminated the creaking.
Old 04-26-05, 07:17 PM
astrocub

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes, the weight penalty with Look pedals is not so bad when comparing lower-
to mid-range pedals like the A5.1s. and yes, weight should not be a huge factor
for most of the folks on this forum.

but as for the creaking/squeeking, it is for real. if you read any number of
reviews, you will find plenty of folks that claim to have no problem with
Look cleats and squeeks and also claim to have the perfect solution for elimintating
the annoying noise. but for every one of those reviews there is a review
by someone that cannot seem to remove the squeek no matter what they try.
i know folks that fall into the latter category and they are not all dolts or
overly abusive to their equipment.
Old 04-26-05, 09:49 PM
SF Biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The cleats for the Look pedals wear out really fast. Heck if you walked in them for 50 yards I think that they would be toast. They have the cleat covers but what a pain in the arse.

I think you would be way better off with the Shimano. I saw the Ultegra for a buck-nineteen and that was at the LBS
Old 04-26-05, 09:56 PM
Chops83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the LOOK A3.1 and I love them compared to my old richeys which were a PITA
Old 04-27-05, 06:37 AM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got the A5.1 pedals when they were at a huge discount last Fall. I'm very pleased with them (I believe they're my third set of Looks in the last 8-9 years or so). Plus the TDF Centennial edition set is dead-sexy.

Edit: yes they squeak sometimes, but not much and it doesn't really bug me when they do. Plus, cleat covers are not a PITA, they're great for walking around (and saving your cleats from wear!).
Old 04-27-05, 08:21 AM
audiojan
Roadie/Duathlete

Bikes: Colnago ExP, Look 595, Look 496, plus a few more...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Using A5.1 TdF edition and loving them! Maybe not the lighest, but definately very comfortable (and durable!).
Old 04-27-05, 12:54 PM
Papa Legba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They do wear out pretty fast. I have had a pair of the red plastic cleats since March. I probably have only ridden 200+ miles, but the cleats are getting really chewed up.
Old 04-27-05, 01:06 PM
Steelrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Legba
They do wear out pretty fast. I have had a pair of the red plastic cleats since March. I probably have only ridden 200+ miles, but the cleats are getting really chewed up.
More info needed here, as the number of miles you rode has nothing to do with the wear on the cleat. The cleat will last indefinitely if you don't walk in 'em. My perspective is a little skewed here because the only walking I do is out of the garage to hop on the bike, then back in again when I get back - so about the only thing that matters is how many steps you're taking in your shoes off the bike. I ride thousands of miles/year and have had cleats that lasted more than 6 years - the only reason I changed 'em was I wanted to see if the minimal wear made any entry/exit difference (it didn't).
Old 04-27-05, 01:55 PM
Papa Legba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't walk on 'em much more than you do. I basically shuck on my shoes before I get on the bike, and then I only walk on them if we stop for a break or when we are done. They just seemed to get chewed up pretty easily. They still work OK.

My point was that I hadn't had them very long.

PL
Old 04-27-05, 02:09 PM
wdbike.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I loved my Look's for years, then I got a set of the new Time RXS Carbon's. There is simply no comparison between the two. The Times are superior in every respect, lower stack height (*much*), lighter weight, better cleats for walking, no creaking.

I would never go back to a high stack pedal, pedaling dynamics are much better and more comfortable when close to the pedal spindle.
Old 04-27-05, 06:22 PM
Steelrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Legba

...and then I only walk on them if we stop for a break or when we are done...My point was that I hadn't had them very long.

PL
Know whatcha mean, but the difference may be here - I almost never get off the bike for any ride under 60 mi., which given family demands for me these days, they almost all are (except some rare weekends when there's nothing else on the calendar). It gets better over the summer with more daylight and fewer scheduled activities. Although I haven't tried 'em yet, others have said and I've heard that the teflon-added cleats wear a little better - If these aren't the ones you already have, they are the ones with the white strip on the rear wider cleat edge
Old 04-27-05, 06:23 PM
Steelrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wdbike.com
I loved my Look's for years, then I got a set of the new Time RXS Carbon's. There is simply no comparison between the two. The Times are superior in every respect, lower stack height (*much*), lighter weight, better cleats for walking, no creaking.

I would never go back to a high stack pedal, pedaling dynamics are much better and more comfortable when close to the pedal spindle.
Just out of curiousity, did you end up adjusting your seat height to account for the lower stack height? Thanks in advance...
Old 04-27-05, 09:17 PM
pjbaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a set of 5.1's, which got relegated to the trainer bike this past winter. I bought a set of CX-6 Ti pedals for $140 brand new out the door from a shop that was going out of business. They originally mismarked them and then I got 40% off.

I like both sets but can definitely feel the difference in weight with the CX-6 Ti's.

Yes, the cleats get chewed up but so what? They're about $15 and if you need to replace them once a year it's not really alot of money considering our chosen hobby/sport.

PJ