Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

An Open Letter to the Fred Commuter on Mass. Ave.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

An Open Letter to the Fred Commuter on Mass. Ave.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-10, 12:52 PM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2su
ha ha! i live a sheltered and/or oblivious life.
Me too, I guess that is what happens when you're the only one along your route/time. I say that because I rarely see cyclists of any type along my route/time frame. Not counting the Trek Across Maine folk, I think I have seen maybe a dozen cyclists (of any flavor,i.e. roadie, recreational, commuter,ect.)while out riding this year
Old 06-28-10, 01:18 PM
resipsa
The Thing Itself

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thdave
The only beef I see here is that he blocked your way when you wanted to go left. It could be that your signal was not clear or he didn't see it, both of which are understandable.
My beef is with the hypocrisy, the blocking being only a minor part of it. Maybe he saw me, maybe he didn't. I'm guessing, as his speed decreased markedly each time he went past me, that he did see me. I certainly can't discount the alternative possibility, though.

Originally Posted by travelmama
Not worth getting bent over. Next time confront the guy rather than hoping he will read a thread. You will feel much better afterwards.
If only I were willing to run reds. As I'm not, and as we don't hang out in the same circles, I doubt I'll have the opportunity unless we manage to run across one another on a ride outside of town (i.e. on a road with few signals).

Originally Posted by tjspiel
I wonder if mister hairless legs has any remorse over his actions or if he has just written his own open letter on another forum.
I've wondered the same thing, though not enough to poke around for it.

Originally Posted by xtrajack
Me too, I guess that is what happens when you're the only one along your route/time. I say that because I rarely see cyclists of any type along my route/time frame. Not counting the Trek Across Maine folk, I think I have seen maybe a dozen cyclists (of any flavor,i.e. roadie, recreational, commuter,ect.)while out riding this year
That sounds both wonderful and terrible all at once. I really like seeing and talking with other cyclists, but sometimes it does get a bit much, especially when school first starts up along a route passing by two major universities and at least three colleges.
Old 06-28-10, 01:38 PM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by resipsa
That sounds both wonderful and terrible all at once. I really like seeing and talking with other cyclists, but sometimes it does get a bit much, especially when school first starts up along a route passing by two major universities and at least three colleges.
It is. I would like to be somewhere where I am just an other guy on a bike, as opposed to being "That crazy guy on the bicycle."

What is the difference between a university and a college? I don't know. Around here we use the terms pretty much interchangeably.

Last edited by xtrajack; 06-28-10 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-28-10, 01:44 PM
resipsa
The Thing Itself

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xtrajack
What is the difference between a university and a college? I don't know.
I think (and please, somebody correct me if I'm wrong), that universities (A) have more than one college within them, e.g. Arts & Sciences, Engineering, and Business, with an accompanying larger number of degrees available, while colleges have just one (usually Arts & Sciences only, I believe) and (B) universities have a research/publishing requirement for professors, while colleges don't.
Old 06-28-10, 02:42 PM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
bike etiquette is too difficult to maintain:
My pinkies get tired of staying raised when on the hoods.
Utensils are too hard to work with safely at speed when you need an energy snack.
My napkin always blows away when I place it on my knee.
"Pardon me good sir, but I will be overtaking you on your left hand side" is too hard to get out when breathless.
Old 06-28-10, 03:02 PM
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Another piece of bike etiquette that I try to follow: don't be a busy-body know it all unless it threatens your own personal safety. It sounds like the guy on the Trek doesn't follow that rule. Even if someone does something annoying (though I'm not saying that the OP did), I certainly wouldn't get in a snit about it.
Old 06-28-10, 03:53 PM
MarkN

Bikes: Rebuilt Litespeed Vortex, Vintage racing bike fixed gear conversion, Dawes 601 Hybrid (2001)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thenomad
Utensils are too hard to work with safely at speed when you need an energy snack.
"Pardon me good sir, but I will be overtaking you on your left hand side" is too hard to get out when breathless.
Heheheh, very good.

And, of course, the sine qua non of bike etiquette, the formal presentation the coat of arms in which the rider's pedigree and heritage are compared, the proper order established, and improper overtaking by unworthies prevented.

That said, it does get me when I'm stopped at lights and another cylist comes and plonks themselves in my way; the ones who do it are never fast enough to not get in the way. The properly quick ones tend to place themselves with more awareness.

I'd also write a really long rant at this point, however I have decided to telepathically transfer it to you instead. It's about daydreaming cyclists who weave all over the road, them scream in angry fright when politely invited to wake up, transit vans, taxis in general, and dozy weekend drivers. Got it? Yeah, thought so.
Old 06-28-10, 05:37 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,791 Times in 2,582 Posts
since the forum search doesn't work, you'll never find it, but I'm positive I have seen the equal and opposite thread to this one on this forum sometime during the last year.
Old 07-05-10, 07:57 AM
davidmcowan
Live Deliberately.

Bikes: CETMA Cargo, Surly Big Dummy, Surly Straggler, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am I the only one here that thinks the OP shouldn't pass on the right? No matter what?
Old 07-05-10, 08:07 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thenomad
Old 07-05-10, 12:27 PM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
It is better to remain quiet and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt....I wouldn't even acknowledge their presence.

Last edited by Booger1; 07-05-10 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-05-10, 12:39 PM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Am I the only one wondering why the OP is staring at his shaved legs?
Old 07-05-10, 01:05 PM
Kojak

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex - 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 - 2004 Redline Conquest Pro - Specialized S-Works Festina Team Model - 93 Cannondale M 800 Beast of the East

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, so much to worry about? I would have just had a good laugh at someone trying so hard to impress without the ability to actually do so (lots of them out there).

As an alternative (since you were apparently more fit than this individual) rather than an open letter, next time ride up next to the guy and chat him up while he's wheezing. It's just a way to say "you're not so fast" without actually saying it.

Also, a lot of people get hacked about wheel suckers. I don't like them either, but you have two choices:

1) Back off just a little, and they'll come around. Then you can let them go, or return the favor.

2) Drop 'em (my favorite). I'm not as fit now as when I raced, so it's not quite as easy as it used to be, but it sure is satisfying.
Old 07-05-10, 01:21 PM
MacCruiskeen
Junior Mint

Bikes: Trek 830

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think (and please, somebody correct me if I'm wrong), that universities (A) have more than one college within them, e.g. Arts & Sciences, Engineering, and Business, with an accompanying larger number of degrees available, while colleges have just one (usually Arts & Sciences only, I believe) and (B) universities have a research/publishing requirement for professors, while colleges don't.
Also, a "college" is generally an undergraduate-degree granting institution, whereas "university" would mean a school with both undergraduate and graduate programs (hence the greater emphasis on research and publication).
Old 07-05-10, 01:26 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
When I get around cyclists that the OP encountered, my only hope is that there are numerous stop lights for them to run, that way they get so far a head that I cannot possibly encounter them again on that same day.
Old 07-05-10, 01:50 PM
jet-flashman
oldie

Bikes: '12 Surly Disc Trucker, '14 Surly Ogre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kojak
Wow, so much to worry about? I would have just had a good laugh at someone trying so hard to impress without the ability to actually do so (lots of them out there).

As an alternative (since you were apparently more fit than this individual) rather than an open letter, next time ride up next to the guy and chat him up while he's wheezing. It's just a way to say "you're not so fast" without actually saying it.

Also, a lot of people get hacked about wheel suckers. I don't like them either, but you have two choices:

1) Back off just a little, and they'll come around. Then you can let them go, or return the favor.

2) Drop 'em (my favorite). I'm not as fit now as when I raced, so it's not quite as easy as it used to be, but it sure is satisfying.
3) Eat a large burrito pre-ride.....works for me.
Old 07-05-10, 01:54 PM
Kojak

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex - 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 - 2004 Redline Conquest Pro - Specialized S-Works Festina Team Model - 93 Cannondale M 800 Beast of the East

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jet-flashman
3) Eat a large burrito pre-ride.....works for me.
Oh the humanity!!!!
Old 07-05-10, 05:41 PM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It is better to remain quiet and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Fixed that for you.
Old 07-05-10, 05:55 PM
fredgarvin7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only point of bike etiquette I am interested in is this: When I eat someone's lunch, should I have red or white wine?
Old 07-05-10, 08:32 PM
desuism

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.itsnotarace.org/
Old 07-05-10, 09:32 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OP, you're nicer than I am; when that rider said, "watch your etiquette, buddy", my automatic reaction would have been, "Watch your f***in' mouth".

Woodway, I'd have either:

a.) ignored him totally, while speeding up out of his capability; or
b.) brake-checked him.
Old 07-05-10, 09:41 PM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Next time consider a stream of shrill, senseless profanity.

I dunno, works for me.
Old 07-05-10, 10:06 PM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dear Guy on the Cantilever Brake- and Road Shifter-Equipped Trek,

I see by your shaved legs and somewhat high cadence that you too enjoy riding quickly. I commend you for it. I would note, however, that a love of speed means neither that you are the final arbiter of others' actions nor that you are particularly fast.

Telling me to watch my "etiquette" in beating you off the line after we had stopped for crossing traffic is rather silly, given that I gave you some six feet of room in doing so, and especially given that in the Boston area, there is no bicycling etiquette followed by anybody. Were there actually any rules of the road on point, I would surely have followed them; there were none, however, and I did not. I simply noted that you were accelerating slowly and that there was a lot of room on the right. Moreover, you certainly did not follow any code of conduct when you decided to sprint to catch up with and pace me later - a mere 2 feet to my left - when I had already indicated that I was trying to merge into the lane to my left. Hypocrisy does not sit well with me, nor should it with anyone.

Such hypocrisy was regrettably only further illustrated when you blew past me while I was stopped at a red light one quarter mile up the road. I can find no justification for chiding me for breaking unwritten rules, while flaunting those duly enacted by the General Court of the Commonwealth.

Lack of justification notwithstanding, I do understand why you felt the need to do so. It can't be easy to go through the pains of shaving your legs regularly, and by your breathing rate and perspiration when I first came upon you, it's certain that you were giving it your all. To then have someone like me pass you with ease between signals must be frustrating. If I too had what can only be an inferiority complex, the thought of gaining an "advantage" in the "race" would have been an obvious move, though still one lacking in sense.

I therefore implore you to think about the disconnect between your words and your actions and to work on getting that cadence up. Road cycling, after all, is more an endurance event than a sprint.

Yours Truly,

The Guy on the 14 year-old Cannondale

How many times DID you come upon him?

NTTIAWWT!!

Low Hanging Fruit
Old 07-06-10, 10:06 AM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Boring life huh?Hope you didn't lose any sleep......

Last edited by Booger1; 07-06-10 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-06-10, 11:08 AM
Kotts
Recreational Commuter

Bikes: One brand-less build-up, and a Connondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc. A nicer bike than I need, but it was a good deal, so... ;-)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
This what gets your panties all bunched up? Sheesh, you need some teenagers in your life!
Truth...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.