Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Is Team RadioShack done?

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Is Team RadioShack done?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-10, 12:15 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony N.
I'm new to this as well but it seems to me that there is no one in the RS team that can ride with Lance in any of the stages so far. So far with only a few exceptions, he is riding all alone, meaning no RS team members are even close to him except for one or two and then only for a short while (Levi and the guy that rode with him after 3 crash involvments yesterday).
It seemed to me Horner was holding back for Lance yesterday.

I saw the look on his face early last week as he hooked onto AC's wheel like a magnet. The look on AC's face as they climbed said it all. He could not shake him. Lance had the look of confidence and AC the look of shock.
:facepalm:

Things happen in racing that are often out of anyones control like L flatting with no team member in sight or even close (all were behind him by over 2 minutes) and crashes that break concentration. If this had happened earlier in his career would the nay sayers say he was a flash in the pan. If he were 25 and had the same thing happen as have occurred this tdf, the results would most likely be the same. All I'm saying is none of the riders that were involved or stopped by the same crashes as he was are anywhere near in contention. Just sayin................
Oh great ghu. End it with the excuses already. He won 7 in his prime, he is no longer in his prime and he just got toasted. Accept it and move on.

Believe it or not, there are other riders in the world who are capable of beating Lance and it is a natural order of the sporting world. These excuses sound really, really pathetic and whatever you may think of Lance, he isnt the type of guy who needs his supporters to make excuses for him.

V.
Old 07-12-10, 12:35 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1471 Post(s)
Liked 755 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by gpsblake
As far as the team, 99.9 percent chance it will be defunct with no chance Radio Shack sponsors another team, especially with all it's corporate problems.

This was a one year deal with Radio Shack. Always has been.
What corporate problems?

Radio Shack made $328 million in the last year on revenue of a little over $4billion. They have little long term debt, and a current ratio of 3.71

Sales and earnings are both up for the last 12 months, and their Margins are above average for their sector.

Without Armstrong, they may well choose not to re-up, but it won't be because they can't afford to.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-12-10, 12:48 PM
Mr_Christopher
insert witty comment here

Bikes: 2016 Specialized AWOL, 2011 Electra Bike Ticino, '09 Trek 7.2 FX, Peugeot UE 18

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
What corporate problems?

Radio Shack made $328 million in the last year on revenue of a little over $4billion. They have little long term debt, and a current ratio of 3.71

Sales and earnings are both up for the last 12 months, and their Margins are above average for their sector.

Without Armstrong, they may well choose not to re-up, but it won't be because they can't afford to.
When all else fails you resort to the old tried and true fallacy of facts argument. That's like practically cheating on a forum you know.
Old 07-12-10, 02:24 PM
gr23932
Si se Puede!!!....Ahuevo!

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr_Christopher
When all else fails you resort to the old tried and true fallacy of facts argument. That's like practically cheating on a forum you know.
lol
Old 07-12-10, 02:46 PM
Fynn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
radio shack isn't a box store.

So Barnes and Noble is but Radio Shack isn't?
Old 07-14-10, 10:15 AM
Mr_Christopher
insert witty comment here

Bikes: 2016 Specialized AWOL, 2011 Electra Bike Ticino, '09 Trek 7.2 FX, Peugeot UE 18

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like Sergio just put the Rat back in the Rat Shack.
Old 07-14-10, 12:59 PM
szehui

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fynn

So Barnes and Noble is but Radio Shack isn't?
The difference is square footage in each location. B&N locations are tens of thousands of square feet...I have never seen an RS store larger than about 1500.
Old 07-14-10, 01:14 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 1,125 Times in 656 Posts
Originally Posted by szehui
The difference is square footage in each location. B&N locations are tens of thousands of square feet...I have never seen an RS store larger than about 1500.
Don't confuse box store (a gazillion locations) with a big-box store (a gazilliion large locations). I think the previous poster used "box" to distinguish it from companies that sell primarily on the internet.

Congrats to Paulinho for salvaging something from this year's Tour for Team Radio Shack.
Old 07-14-10, 01:22 PM
Keith99

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Don't confuse box store (a gazillion locations) with a big-box store (a gazilliion large locations). I think the previous poster used "box" to distinguish it from companies that sell primarily on the internet.

Congrats to Paulinho for salvaging something from this year's Tour for Team Radio Shack.
As of yesterday it looked to me like Levi still has a decent chance to Podium. Almost zero chance for first or second, but third would be as good as anyone except a Lance fanboy could have hoped for from RS anyway.
Old 07-14-10, 01:29 PM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hezz
you are forgetting that Lance was baby sat by Contador up all the big mountains...
What a silly comment! Did you even watch last year? When they were together in the mountains, Lance led, not Alberto.

- Will Rogers
Old 07-14-10, 03:28 PM
rzombie1988

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith99
As of yesterday it looked to me like Levi still has a decent chance to Podium. Almost zero chance for first or second, but third would be as good as anyone except a Lance fanboy could have hoped for from RS anyway.
In the interview they showed with Levi today, he pretty much said he has no chance at first or second, but might be able to make the podium.
Old 07-14-10, 03:41 PM
TechKnowGN

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2011 Trek 3900 Disc MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gpsblake
As far as the team, 99.9 percent chance it will be defunct with no chance Radio Shack sponsors another team, especially with all it's corporate problems.

This was a one year deal with Radio Shack. Always has been.
This is 100% not true. Radio Shack has already committed to sponsoring the team beyond this year, and further, they're planning on putting together a triathlon "team" built around armstrong and good young tri folks plus a few vets.
Old 07-25-10, 01:38 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 132 Posts
Well .... it looks like the "old men" did just fine after all.

The young guys may have the quicker recovery, but the old guys got the endurance.
Old 07-25-10, 03:16 PM
fatslowbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think they were the only team actually fighting for "team gc". if saxo or astana wanted this, they most certainly could have won it. trs-80 needed something to win and to put their name in the media
Old 07-25-10, 03:35 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 1,125 Times in 656 Posts
Originally Posted by fatslowbiker
i think they were the only team actually fighting for "team gc". if saxo or astana wanted this, they most certainly could have won it. trs-80 needed something to win and to put their name in the media
Caisse d'Epargne was making a concerted run for it, so it isn't like they were uncontested. That said, there were a few teams that likely would have beaten them out if that had been their focus.
Old 07-25-10, 04:04 PM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Caisse d'Epargne was definitely fighting for it. I think they were in the same boat as TRS though. Them not really challenging a podium spot and not having a big time sprinter left them in the same boat as TRS. Its sort of a consolation prize, but its better than nothing.