Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Race Report Thread 2009-2012

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Race Report Thread 2009-2012

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-10, 04:40 PM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 races this weekend.

road race on saturday. brutal hot, hilly, P12 race. i worked for a team mate, after dragging him to a split we both missed on the 2nd to last lap, i got popped. found a working group, got into the race follow caravan of cars and worked through it to get back on. I was tapped and on the edge of craamping so i attacked before the last big climb hoping i could slip slide it, but about 100M from the top my legs locked up. i was convulsing like i got tazered. race was shattered, team mate finished somewhere around top 10, i finished, not sure where. i fell over after the finish line since i was cramping from my chin down.

today, M35+ age graded championship crit. great course, quasi technical, lots of hot wind. my team's sprinter was fresh since he didnt do the race above, i was not. 1st 10 laps or so were super hard, probably shed half the field. then things got harder with attack after attack. i opened up and was able to respond, unfortunately I had to chase down a former team mate who's still a regular training partner of mine, but he was a threat and when I jumped to bridge I had many cling ons so ended up being a welder. things came together with 3 to go so I pulled my sprinter into position, got on and drove. I was losing steam so he attacked from about 400 out with 2 tight turns, he got caught by a former olympian about 10 M from the line and took 2nd. I hung on for 8th or 9th.

good racing this weekend, i felt that i didnt make any efforts that didnt have a specific purpose, be it individual or for the betterment of a team mate. although the results for me fell short, I'll sleep well tonight.
Old 07-18-10, 05:11 PM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
MDCatV - Rock and roll!!!! Super!!!

Last edited by bostongarden; 07-18-10 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-18-10, 05:41 PM
substructure
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I decided to write a little report from Saturday's race.
Cat 3.

One guy went on a solo attack early and stayed away for quite a while. But for the most part the 60 of us all stayed together until the first major climb about mile 22. Then it went to about 10 of us. From that point we couldn't organize a good rotation to stay away. It was a long downhill through twists and turns. So once we got to the climb to the finish there were probably 20-30 of us. I got the the top half of the group and slowly made my way up the climb - passing and getting passed. But made may way through most to get 8th overall.

I was extremely happy since I really didn't prepare for it much.
Old 07-18-10, 05:47 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by substructure
I was extremely happy since I really didn't prepare for it much.
But watch out for the next race. You might be riding your bike a lot for a while.
Old 07-18-10, 05:53 PM
substructure
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk
But watch out for the next race. You might be riding your bike a lot for a while.
True. Recovery pace.
Old 07-18-10, 06:10 PM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
Pouring water all over you is just about the most effective thing you can do short of an ice vest. Hydration is important, but it doesn't cool you down.

It can be pretty hard to predict when you'll have problems from the heat and when you won't. I remember one long, hot day on the bike a few years ago, on the return leg of a weekend camping trip. I drank so much water that I filled my stomach, but I was still dizzy, light-headed and exhausted, even hours after getting home. I only realized later (upon checking the symptoms) that I was suffering from heat illness; at the time I thought that it was impossible, since I was hydrating well. Wrong, wrong, wrong. That was a scary realization.

Anyway, good call on recognizing the signs and stopping.
pouring water over your head helps, but not a heck of a lot when the humidity is in the 90% range. if it's not evaporating, you're not cooling.
Old 07-18-10, 07:14 PM
errodr

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Cannondale CAAD9

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spring City Race Weekend - Cat 5

Crit Finish: 6th, won a prime
RR Finish: 14th, lots of cramping
Old 07-18-10, 07:19 PM
Tinton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drove 3.5 hours to race.
Race canceled.
Old 07-18-10, 07:21 PM
Nate552

Bikes: Orbea Orca Trek 5500 Trek Equinox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did a 20K ITT, and then after a 10 min rest did a 20K 2-man team TT on Saturday. Lead up to it was less than ideal. Friday evening I drove 7.5 hours to get home from a work commitment, packed, slept 3.5 hours, woke up, drove 3 hours, raced in 100 degree temps. Power was down 10%, bonked, overheated etc. 14th for the ITT, yesh. TTT? Who cares.

Last edited by Nate552; 07-19-10 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-18-10, 07:37 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Nate552
Did a 20K ITT, and then after a 10 min rest did a 20K 2-man team TT on Saturday. Lead up to it was less than ideal. Friday evening I drove 7.5 hours to get home from a work commitment, packed, slept 3.5 hours, woke up, drove 3 hours, raced in 100 degree temps. Power was down 10%, bonked, overheated etc. 15th for the ITT, yesh. TTT? Who cares.
Weren't you guys in the top 3?

The heat coming of the newly sealed pavement was atrocious.
Old 07-18-10, 07:54 PM
Nate552

Bikes: Orbea Orca Trek 5500 Trek Equinox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Weren't you guys in the top 3?

The heat coming of the newly sealed pavement was atrocious.
Oh yeah, top 3 baby. That black pavement was like riding on a viking grill. By the time the TTT started my cleats were sticking to it.
Old 07-18-10, 08:22 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 161 Posts
Good job everyone!
Old 07-18-10, 08:28 PM
asmallsol
Cat3.*....Cat2

Bikes: A lot.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tour de Burg Cat 3 race:

I did rather poor in the race the day before, mainly due to crappy position/sketchy riders so today I wanted revenge. Right from the gun, I attacked. Within a lap one other rider joined me and we stayed off for 2 more. We got caught.

I jumped back into the field and recovered. A prime was announced, and 3 people went off the front to claim it in the final corners. I bridge the gap right after the line and yell at them to "lets work, lets go". We worked together for like 3 laps, although half the guys were pretty gassed. We get cought.

A lap later, another prime was announced. In the last few corners, a guy attacks OTF. I bridge the gap, (again right after the line) and I yell at him to go. He was completely shot. For the next 6 or so laps, I do most of the pulling. It was freaking hot, and I found myself in the pain cave. The cold chills set in. A prime was announced. Coming to the line, I plead to the other guy not to be a dick and a let me have it and the sportsman that he was, does. Eventually I start getting gassed and our lead shrinks to nil with 5 laps to go.

As we get caught, one rider solos off the front, and the field never reacts. I sit in the field to recover. Last lap, I move towards the front. Coming out of the last corner, I jump on some guy who looked strong and tried to hold their wheel, pull around him, and finished 3rd in the field sprint, 4th overall. Overall, I was happy with my performance
Old 07-18-10, 09:47 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by asmallsol
Tour de Burg Cat 3 race:

I did rather poor in the race the day before, mainly due to crappy position/sketchy riders so today I wanted revenge. Right from the gun, I attacked. Within a lap one other rider joined me and we stayed off for 2 more. We got caught.

I jumped back into the field and recovered. A prime was announced, and 3 people went off the front to claim it in the final corners. I bridge the gap right after the line and yell at them to "lets work, lets go". We worked together for like 3 laps, although half the guys were pretty gassed. We get cought.

A lap later, another prime was announced. In the last few corners, a guy attacks OTF. I bridge the gap, (again right after the line) and I yell at him to go. He was completely shot. For the next 6 or so laps, I do most of the pulling. It was freaking hot, and I found myself in the pain cave. The cold chills set in. A prime was announced. Coming to the line, I plead to the other guy not to be a dick and a let me have it and the sportsman that he was, does. Eventually I start getting gassed and our lead shrinks to nil with 5 laps to go.

As we get caught, one rider solos off the front, and the field never reacts. I sit in the field to recover. Last lap, I move towards the front. Coming out of the last corner, I jump on some guy who looked strong and tried to hold their wheel, pull around him, and finished 3rd in the field sprint, 4th overall. Overall, I was happy with my performance
Sounds like one helluva animated race to me - I like the attack-after-prime approach.

Nice work.

my race videos
Old 07-19-10, 08:25 AM
cmyke
Look KG386i

Bikes: 2004 Look KG386i

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asmallsol
Tour de Burg Cat 3 race:

Dear lordie. Glutton for punishment, eh?
Old 07-19-10, 04:20 PM
Aerodee80

Bikes: Tarmac SL3, Cinneli Xperience

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was at Ontario GP yesterday and did two races.
It was hot all day, Ive never experience racing in this temperature.

CAT IV/V 30+
https://connect.garmin.com/activity/40967335
I placed 4th at Cat IV/V 30+ and my partner placed 3rd.

CAT IV/V
https://connect.garmin.com/activity/40967331
I dropped out of the last lap due to safety concerns. Guys were getting more nervous. I felt that its not worth the risk, plus the heat finally got me.
Old 07-19-10, 04:40 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by kensuf
pouring water over your head helps, but not a heck of a lot when the humidity is in the 90% range. if it's not evaporating, you're not cooling.
Agreed, humidity is a major challenge. I'm just saying that dumping water is way more effective than drinking it. The evidence that hydration actually reduces core temp is shaky at best. An examination of cases of heat exhaustion and heat stroke indicates that most victims were in fact drinking plenty of water. My experience, FWIW, bears that out. The lesson is, if you are experiencing symptoms of heat exhaustion, stop racing! Drinking more water is unlikely to help. Do what cmyke did: find a shady spot and cool down.
Old 07-19-10, 06:00 PM
cmyke
Look KG386i

Bikes: 2004 Look KG386i

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
Agreed, humidity is a major challenge. I'm just saying that dumping water is way more effective than drinking it. The evidence that hydration actually reduces core temp is shaky at best. An examination of cases of heat exhaustion and heat stroke indicates that most victims were in fact drinking plenty of water. My experience, FWIW, bears that out. The lesson is, if you are experiencing symptoms of heat exhaustion, stop racing! Drinking more water is unlikely to help. Do what cmyke did: find a shady spot and cool down.
Yep. The trick to cooling your body is evaporation, which doesn't happen when it's super hot and humid outside. Unless the ice in your bottles hasn't melted yet, it's impossible to cool down via drinking water/dumping warm water on one's head.

Still, it sucks to stop pedaling even when your legs want to continue
Old 07-21-10, 05:19 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by cmyke
Yep. The trick to cooling your body is evaporation, which doesn't happen when it's super hot and humid outside. Unless the ice in your bottles hasn't melted yet, it's impossible to cool down via drinking water/dumping warm water on one's head.

Still, it sucks to stop pedaling even when your legs want to continue
The key is the "ice hasn't melted yet" bit.

If you have ice water or even colder-water-than-your-body's-temperature, it's a transfer of heat energy (from you to the colder water) that helps cool you off. It's kind of like using a CO2 cartridge to cool off your fingers. The CO2 absorbs heat energy to turn into a gas, sucking it up from its surroundings. If you're holding said cartridge in your fingers as it empties out, you can injure them due to the semi-freezing they get. Air conditioners work the same way too (pressurize a gas into a liquid, then let it turn back into a gas - the second part sucks the heat energy out of the surroundings).

Dumping ice water on your head/neck really helps cool you down. If you start a one hour crit with 2 frozen bottles, you'll have relatively cool water available even after 3/4 of the race. If they're insulated bottles, you'll do even better (but I don't know by how much).

Alexi Grewal, in the 1984 Olympic RR, said that he was stalled in his efforts to bridge to Steve Bauer. He was overheated, tired, and wasn't able to make the final effort to bridge. Then, randomly, some woman threw a bucket of very cold water on him (and if you've ever seen the race on tape, you'll know there were very few spectators on the course - it was like watching a glorified, super long Tuesday evening crit in a development). He immediately felt better, drilled it, bridged to Bauer. Rest was history.

Race report:
Naugatuck Crit, Cat 3-4s. Teammate/friend seemed better suited for the course than me, and in some sprints we did the prior week, he beat me pretty good. I also coached him a bit on his sprint, using video to reinforce what I told him out on the road. I decided to work for him. Chased, pulled, bridged, and finally, at 1 to go, started pulling hard to try and keep things stretched out for teammate. I wanted to lead him out but couldn't find him. He didn't have great positioning but used what I taught him (reviewing his sprints) and got 13th.

Tues Night Worlds (Cat 1-2-3-4). Same teammate and I did this race. He wanted to work on his newly learned sprint skills. I was pretty tired and felt it a triumph that I even got on the bike. Also I wasn't feeling too good - I ate 9/16 of a large pizza about 3 hours before the race and still felt nauseous from that. Chased, pulled, bridged, etc. At what I thought was 2 to go I went up to teammate and yelled at him to let me pull (it looked like he was ready to make an effort). Started pulling, inadvertently starting a leadout. It was 2.5 laps to go when I started. Made it to 1 lap to go, the small field was apparently strung out pretty well. Teammate slotted in second wheel after I pulled off. He jumped from a long way out, led out sprint, used his newly learned sprinting technique and mental perseverance to win the sprint by a foot or so. His prior sprinting technique probably would have lost him the sprint by 10-20 feet (based on our guesstimates).

It sucks that the race calender is getting sparse. We're discussing driving 3-4 hours each way to do a crit in a few weeks.

cdr
Old 07-21-10, 06:45 PM
tallmantim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
It sucks that the race calender is getting sparse. We're discussing driving 3-4 hours each way to do a crit in a few weeks.

cdr
Man - that sucks. Happy we have a good amount of year round racing to choose from here in Melbourne.

Thanks for all the effort you put into the race reports and videos - I have certainly used the info from your reports to make sure I am on the right side of the pack with cross winds etc to ensure I get as much cover as possible, and working on positioning.
Old 07-21-10, 06:57 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

cdr
There are some fun road races coming up
Old 07-21-10, 07:33 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by mike868y
There are some fun road races coming up
Fun for who?

I may do Tokeneke as a tribute to a visitor. Probably Masters. I'll lead out our fearless leader to the bottom of the first climb, then do a 60 mile training ride with marshals at the turns. Or just ride home.
Old 07-21-10, 07:33 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by tallmantim
Man - that sucks. Happy we have a good amount of year round racing to choose from here in Melbourne.

Thanks for all the effort you put into the race reports and videos - I have certainly used the info from your reports to make sure I am on the right side of the pack with cross winds etc to ensure I get as much cover as possible, and working on positioning.
Glad someone is using that info
Old 07-21-10, 07:39 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fun for who?

I may do Tokeneke as a tribute to a visitor. Probably Masters. I'll lead out our fearless leader to the bottom of the first climb, then do a 60 mile training ride with marshals at the turns. Or just ride home.
I'm doing Hilltowns on Saturday and then Tokeneke and that is it for my season more or less. Unless I find something fun in MD, but I'm not sure how motivated I'll be to train/race during the first few weeks of school.
Old 07-21-10, 08:37 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Did the Nashvillecyclist.com Wednesday crit. My first race in over a month, and only my third time on a bike in that time, not counting commuting (which is less than two miles each way). With that and a brand new fit - saddle lower and further back, stem flipped up - the plan was to sit in and see how I felt. But of course it was me, so when I found myself near the front and feeling better than I expected when a strong-looking attack went, I went ahead and bridged up. Yes, I'm an idiot.

It was a really good, strong move with four guys, well-coordinated and no slackers. By the time I snagged on, after about half a lap of chasing, we had a good ten seconds. Everyone was taking good, strong pulls, but the pack turned on the gas and dragged us back in a couple of laps. Way too early. Too bad that was the only really coordinated, dangerous move of the race!

As for me, I found myself on the back pretty soon after being caught. Between lack of fitness and getting stuck on a terrible wheel, I was never really able to recover. After chasing for a handful of laps, I blew for good and packed it in next time around at the S/F. I didn't care, I'm just so happy to be racing again. I'm also very happy with the new position. I feels like I will be much more powerful once I'm adapted and fit. And maybe it's just post-race euphoria, but I'm feeling optimistic about managing my knee. Ibuprofen doesn't do jack, but post-ride/race icing works wonders. We'll see how it goes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.