Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Which mountain bike for general trail and singletrack?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-10, 05:37 PM
zalion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking for some seasoned riders to give me their opinion on which of these bikes are best for me and my girl who are just getting started in mountain biking. The trails by my house are rated as easy and moderate with some singletracks (not sure if any of that matters)

Anyway thanks again

https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...7_20000_400308

https://bikebarn.com/product/speciali...ka-57545-1.htm

https://bikebarn.com/product/trek-skye-57852-1.htm
Old 07-22-10, 06:19 PM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Out of those, I'd go for the Myka. The Trek doesn't really look like much of a mountain bike. Step through frames aren't usually as strong as regular frames, and it also only has 63mm travel up front. And the Myka is a lot nicer than the Fuji. However, I wouldn't limit myself to looking at just one bike, nor would I limit myself to only looking at women's bikes. All my mountain bikes are men's bikes, and it wasn't because I didn't test ride any women's bikes.
Old 07-22-10, 06:39 PM
BurnNotice
WNCrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are dead set on those three the Specialized Myka has the best mix of components. But for that price have you been to your lbs to see what they have??? It is one thing to buy from a online retailer if know what size and frame geometry you need but for beginners there is no substitute for the expertise of your lbs for free drivetrain adjustments and initial fitting and setup for a bike you will keep on riding over and over and over.

For a ladies bike maybe look to a KHS dealer . I bought my wife a KHS Alite 500 from my lbs with disc brakes and she loves her bike and says it fits very well and enjoys riding it. There is alot to say for that.

Good luck.
Old 07-23-10, 07:18 AM
4evrplan

Bikes: cheapie Schwinn - ride what you got.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A note about that SR Suntour M2000 fork on the Fuji: Maybe you won't abuse it like I did, but I destroyed that model fork in short order when I started riding trails. Though, to be honest, I'm a better rider now, so it might have fared better with a rider who wasn't such a hack.
Old 07-23-10, 12:52 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I like the looks of the Fuji, it matches your hair.....that of course is a joke.

You choose three good names and decent starter bikes. Specialized is the best techno choice.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.