Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Possible Super Sport buy

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Possible Super Sport buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-10, 04:46 PM
elguicho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Possible Super Sport buy

I'm going to see a Super Sport today and was wondering if you can help me spot the marks of a fillet-brazed one. I think they were fillet-brazed only until 1973 so the Serial's second digit could only be as high as a J. Also, the bike doesn't fit me, it is too small. The price seems very reasonable $100, is it worth getting it to fix and re-sell?

One last thing, I was reading Sheldon's article on those bikes and he mentions bullet stays? What do they look like? Does anyone have a picture of such stays? Thanks
Old 07-26-10, 04:52 PM
4Rings6Stars
Seņor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
On a bike like that, condition is everything. If all it needs is to be cleaned up, bar tape and cables..you will come out on top (but not by much). If it needs major work or has cosmetic issues...I would stay away. I usually try to maintain at least $100 margin on flips so I would probably pass on that Schwinn.

If I remember correctly the 73, though a very nice riding bike, is a bit heavy and has the ashtabula crank and no integrated derailleur hanger. Not very attractive features for the average buyer.
Old 07-26-10, 04:59 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Small Super Sports are all over the Chicago CL. Nobody wants a 22" hand brazed SS/ST frame, I've had a few for a long time....
Old 07-26-10, 05:00 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by elguicho
I'm going to see a Super Sport today and was wondering if you can help me spot the marks of a fillet-brazed one. I think they were fillet-brazed only until 1973 so the Serial's second digit could only be as high as a J. Also, the bike doesn't fit me, it is too small. The price seems very reasonable $100, is it worth getting it to fix and re-sell?

One last thing, I was reading Sheldon's article on those bikes and he mentions bullet stays? What do they look like? Does anyone have a picture of such stays? Thanks
If you do not see lugs, it is a fillet brazed frame. There were stopped being made after the mid 70s for a while.

(Valuation questions should go to the right place, but I am not sure that you will be getting much of a profit at that price point + material unless a. it is spotless, b. restored to original condition and c. you locate a Schwinn collector to get it off your hands)
Old 07-26-10, 05:46 PM
elguicho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
(Valuation questions should go to the right place, but I am not sure that you will be getting much of a profit at that price point + material unless a. it is spotless, b. restored to original condition and c. you locate a Schwinn collector to get it off your hands)
I wasn't looking for an actual price estimate but more of an opinion. Would you work on it if you could only make like $50? I know the bike at its best would only go for about $250.
Old 07-26-10, 06:10 PM
elguicho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just got an email from the seller, bike was sold. I'm stuck at work until 8.
Old 07-26-10, 08:38 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by elguicho
I wasn't looking for an actual price estimate but more of an opinion. Would you work on it if you could only make like $50? I know the bike at its best would only go for about $250.
These bikes around here sell max at $150. Max. There is a nice lime green around my local CL (with a Brooks saddle mind you) that has been sitting at $80ish for about 2 weeks. Give it another week and I might pick it up for the saddle.