Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn World Voyageur Questions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-10, 12:04 PM
TwoHeadsBrewing
Wildflower Century

Bikes: Trek Soho, Fisher Aquila

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have the possibility of buying a Voyageur, all original except for tires and tubes, for about $200. I've read a few other threads here and elsewhere, and this seems like a decent price and the bike itself is a great older model. From what the seller says, the bike is from the early 1970s and was hung up in the garage for almost that entire time until last year, when they bought it. The seller says it is beautiful and in great condition. Apparently, it has bar-end shifters, and chrome underneath the paint.

So, I got a few questions:

1. Is $200 a good deal?
2. Would this be a good all around commuting/touring bike? I plan to put fenders on it and a rack if it doesn't have one already.
3. Anything to watch out for? I'm going to take a look at the bike tonight.

Thanks!
Old 08-13-10, 12:14 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 638 Posts
Need to post in valuation forum.
Old 08-13-10, 12:16 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
World Voyageurs are very cool bikes in my book. Classic looks; love the chrome head lugs.

$200 is a fine price, especially if you can do the overhaul yourself. Having sat for as long as it has, all the bearing systems need to be cleaned and fresh grease applied. If it were me I'd completely disassemble it, clean and lube all the components, clean and wax the frame and reassemble with new cables, housing, brake pads and bar wrap. I believe Brooks Professional saddles were OEM equipment. Hopefully that's what is on it and it is in good shape.

It's a great candidate for fenders and the Weinmann centerpulls will allow plenty of room. Many had early DuraAce/Crane equipment. I've always loved the Gran Compe stems too.

Report back tomorrow on your new-to-you World Voyageur!
Old 08-13-10, 12:20 PM
TwoHeadsBrewing
Wildflower Century

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm hoping that it's in as good shape as the seller indicates. I'll be sure to take pics and report back. Thanks for the input!

@ wrk101: I posted in the Classic and Vintage Inquiry forum at your request. Should I delete this one?
Old 08-13-10, 12:20 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Is there a difference between the Voyageur and the World Voyageur? (Aside from the obvious addition of 5 letters)
Old 08-13-10, 12:26 PM
TwoHeadsBrewing
Wildflower Century

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From what I've read, the Voyageur was made in the early 80's while the World Voyageur was made in ~1973. It was one of the first bikes built for Schwinn in Japan by Panasonic. That's all I've been able to glean so far from various sites I've googled.
Old 08-13-10, 12:32 PM
atmdad
Oh Snap, not again...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it is a Voyager from the early '80's check if it has the Positron FFS geartrain. You might want to avoid that, others here might have different opions, but personally I would turn around and not look back at it if it has that system at the $200 price range.
Old 08-13-10, 12:49 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 59 Posts
Terrific value for $200.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 08-13-10, 01:00 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Agreed, I rode a Passage for a long time, and it's a notch or two above the Passage, and was very happy.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 08-13-10, 01:04 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Originally Posted by atmdad
If it is a Voyager from the early '80's check if it has the Positron FFS geartrain. You might want to avoid that, others here might have different opions, but personally I would turn around and not look back at it if it has that system at the $200 price range.
The World Voyageur is slightly different from the Voyageur/Voyageur 11.8/Voyageur SP models of the 80s. As the OP mentioned, it was a Panasonic built bike. They're great machines.

I think you're confusing the World Voyageur with the 80s World Tourist model which was available with the FFS.

@ Zaphod: The early 70s World Voyageur is a little different from the 80s models that followed. The early 80s models featured 4130 main tubes as the WV did, later models had Tange or Columbus tubing. The WV came with Suntour barcons, randonneur bend bars and centerpull brakes. The 80s models all had DT shifters and sidepull brakes until about 1983 when they seemed to transition to more serious touring bikes (triple chainrings and canti brakes).

I own two '81 11.8s and an '88 Voyageur which is in "slow-go project mode". I'd like to own a Kool-Lemon World Voyageur, unfortunately I don't think they were produced in the 25" size.

I'm not sure, but I think the WV was only produced for a few years. Schwinn revived the name and idea in 1980 and for the next decade it existed in different incarnations.

This chart is useful in comparing the 80s models.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 08-13-10 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-13-10, 01:09 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Yeah I couldn't help but notice from the pages Scooper posted that they only appear to have made the WV in 21" and 23"

Schwinn had the best 70's colors. That Orange, and the Baby Blue, and of course Kool Lemon...Some of the Greens are great too.
Old 08-13-10, 01:25 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

My LBS has a World Voyageur in Kool-Lemon. Anytime someone shows interest in it the price jumps about $50 the next day. I think it's up to about $850. It's in the owner's size.
Old 08-13-10, 01:28 PM
TwoHeadsBrewing
Wildflower Century

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone have geometry specs for the WV? I currently ride a 54cm, and the seller indicated this was a 56cm. From the brochures, it looks like it was only made in 21"/23" frame size. Assuming a 21" frame, would this be too big for me? I have to drive about 40 minutes to see the bike, so I'd rather not waste 1.5 hours if the bike is going to be too big. Thanks!
Old 08-13-10, 01:43 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
Does anyone have geometry specs for the WV? I currently ride a 54cm, and the seller indicated this was a 56cm. From the brochures, it looks like it was only made in 21"/23" frame size. Assuming a 21" frame, would this be too big for me? I have to drive about 40 minutes to see the bike, so I'd rather not waste 1.5 hours if the bike is going to be too big. Thanks!
Schwinn measured frame size from the center of the crank to the top of the seat tube, while many European builders measured from the center of the crank to the center of the top tube/seat tube intersection (c-t-c). You need to take that into account when considering frame size.

The Schwinn 21" frame would be 53.3 cm from the crank center to the top of the seat tube. The 23" frame would be 58.4 cm from the crank center to the top of the seat tube.

If the seller indicated it's a 56cm frame, he may be measuring a 23" frame c-t-c.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 08-13-10, 01:43 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Most people prefer a slightly taller frame in their touring bikes.

Originally Posted by Scooper
If the seller indicated it's a 56cm frame, he may be measuring it c-t-c.
Scooper makes a good point. Ask the seller to clarify.
Old 08-13-10, 02:40 PM
jtgotsjets

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm sure you've gleaned this much already, but if you're looking for a touring bike, a 1970s Voyageur may not be what you're looking for. Don't expect canti brakes, lowrider rack mounts or most of the eyelets that many people consider "standard" for touring bikes nowadays. Most of the traits people associate with a touring bike came to be in the early/mid-eighties. It will likely have eyelets and clearance for fenders, but you may have to kludge something to get multiple racks to fit (even if the kludge is as simple as getting longer screws so the rack can share the fender eyelets).

I just mention this because you specifically mention touring and reading a few threads about how highly regarded "Voyageurs" (not World Voyageurs) are—these threads are likely referring to the mid-eighties Voyageur model, which was nearly on par with the classic tourers—Miyata 1000s and Specialized Expeditions.

That isn't to say it's not a nice bike—$200 seems fair to me, though not a screaming deal by any means—just that it might not be what you were looking for.
Old 08-13-10, 09:05 PM
TwoHeadsBrewing
Wildflower Century

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions! Unfortunately, I talked with the seller and it has a standover of 32" and change. 31" is pushing it for me, so I had to walk away. I'm pretty bummed, because it does look like a great bike in great condition. But hopefully it will go to a good home, and not get butchered by some fixie conversion.

https://chico.craigslist.org/bik/1897651990.html
Old 08-13-10, 10:31 PM
illwafer
)) <> ((

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
that is a handsome bike. bummer.
Old 08-14-10, 10:17 AM
TwoHeadsBrewing
Wildflower Century

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Total bummer. I almost just bought it and dealt with the high standover...I don't see good bikes like that in nice condition hardly at all up in Chico. Sacramento is a different story, but those are usually more expensive down there.
Old 08-14-10, 11:13 AM
bikerosity57

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
It's a really nice all around bicycle. You can't really go wrong. And, 200 bucks isn't a bad deal. I rode one for many years, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. Mine cost $222 in 1974, so $200 today is like paying about $50 for it in 1974 dollars.
Old 08-14-10, 12:55 PM
illwafer
)) <> ((

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
you know, you can convert to 700c and this will lower the standover height slightly.
Old 08-14-10, 06:51 PM
jtgotsjets

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
Total bummer. I almost just bought it and dealt with the high standover...I don't see good bikes like that in nice condition hardly at all up in Chico. Sacramento is a different story, but those are usually more expensive down there.
Can't hurt to go take it for a test ride. Standover isn't really a big deal when it comes to fit—how often are you just standing there over your bike? If it fits otherwise, go for it.