Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Sciatica

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-10, 07:44 PM
Bill

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sciatica

I started with lower back pain about three weeks ago. It happened after a stretch that I did after I had been riding. The pain was a bit stubborn. It has morphed into sciatica, not causing sharp pain down my legs, but some discomfort. Today the pain traveled to my left hip flexors. This is better than the previous developments, but still not great. I have soreness in the upper part of my butt. I've laid off the bike down for 9 days, irritating me to no end. But I think I will stay off for a little while longer. When I got back on the bike two 10 days ago the back pain returned. Anyone have sciatica or the symptoms I am describing? I am sensing that maybe I suffer from piriformis syndrome. All I know is that I want it to go away. Tomorrow I'll get a swim in and maybe try to do some speed walking. But I really want to ride, although I must admit that the 50 mile per hour winds are not really intriguing me.
Old 09-07-10, 08:10 PM
deep_sky

Bikes: 2012 Scott CR1 Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do they not have doctors where you live?
Old 09-07-10, 08:12 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 627 Posts
Bill it is passed time to get medical help.

Old 09-07-10, 09:17 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
1. Visit a Dr.

2. Do you ride a gel saddle? And is your saddle very flat?
Old 09-07-10, 10:12 PM
ciocc_cat
"Chooch"

Bikes: Late 1990s Ciocc Titan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Been there and suffered greatly. See your doctor ASAP. Physical therapy worked wonders for me!
Old 09-08-10, 12:56 AM
Specialized2k10
Pedal Warrior

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Allez with SRAM Force gruppo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My dad had this. He thought it was usual back pain. Got to a point where he could barely walk. Get checked out. I saw him in terrible pain a few times and I felt helpless cause I couldn't do anything for him.
Old 09-08-10, 04:08 AM
Bill

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by deep_sky
Do they not have doctors where you live?
No, we don't! Actually, I have had this before--3 years ago. Went to PT. Was helpful. I know the routine, in many ways. My good friend is an orth. surgeon. He has given me some strong anti-inflammatories. They help. I do stretches. They help. I am just trying to figure out the exercising. To what degree the exercise hinders or helps. In the past when I had this I continued to ride. This time I stopped, and that seems to help.
Old 09-08-10, 04:53 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
i had it for a few years and periodically i went to see my doc who just told me to rest. it lasted for about 4 years. it got worse then better then worse but never went away. finally i went to see a chiropractor that my friend recommended and 2 half hour sessions of pushing and shoving my back, i was cured. i've never had the problem come back.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 09-08-10, 07:46 AM
professorbob

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
There used to be a workout tape called "Abs of Steel". Get it if you can find it. It's all about core strength which will help your muscles pull your back into alignment. I had chronic problems with a bulging disc which caused horrible sciatica-all the way down to my ankle. Walking is good for it, as is swimming. But the ab crunches are what will cure it.
Old 09-08-10, 07:51 AM
BigSean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had this issue many times over the years. I see a chiropractor every 4-6 weeks to keep it in check. Once you are feeling better it will be important to keep the core strong.
Old 09-08-10, 07:59 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I just had spinal surgery after suffering from sciatica since March/April. Go to the doctor...ask about an MRI...if they say you don't need one ask again...I literally had to fight for mine and then when the doctor saw the images they were shocked I was walking.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ight=Herniated
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...surgery-thread
Old 09-08-10, 08:02 AM
petalpower

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went through the same years ago when I was sitting for much of the day.

Stretching, and an inversion table has eliminated 100% of any back pain that I had.
Old 09-08-10, 08:05 AM
spessx

Bikes: Carbon Fuji, Cannondale Caad 8, Schwinn Homegrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a 2 year story with sciatica and lumbar spine problems. I'll spare you the long story and give you a place to start:

1. Ice, Ibuprofen, Hot baths and time off the bike are a great place for immediate relief.
2. See a doc. Get X rays and MRI's. Properly diagnosing a lumbar spine problem can be near impossible even WITH an MRI. Don't let your doc try to do it without.
3. Work with a physical therapist. In my experience, Chiro's do very little. PT's do the same things but also seek to strengthen muscles to correct the problem.

Likely, PT is going to be your best bet to get back on the bike and avoid future issues.

Good luck!

-s
Old 09-08-10, 08:07 AM
Kylerk

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 1 (2011), Santa Cruz Superlight (2000), Jamis Coda Comp (2009)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should go to see a doctor - preferably an orthopedic doctor who specializes in spines or an osteopath if you know of a good one locally. It may not be the typical bulging disc caused sciatica, but instead it could be sacroiliac dysfunction or even piriformis syndrome, which can both mimic the symptoms of sciatica, but are treated in much different ways.
Old 09-08-10, 08:29 AM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
I just had spinal surgery after suffering from sciatica since March/April. Go to the doctor...ask about an MRI...if they say you don't need one ask again...I literally had to fight for mine and then when the doctor saw the images they were shocked I was walking.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ight=Herniated
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...surgery-thread
This is great news, and a good example of the importance of being persistent! Congrats!
Old 09-08-10, 08:37 AM
BigSean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spessx
I've got a 2 year story with sciatica and lumbar spine problems. I'll spare you the long story and give you a place to start:

1. Ice, Ibuprofen, Hot baths and time off the bike are a great place for immediate relief.
2. See a doc. Get X rays and MRI's. Properly diagnosing a lumbar spine problem can be near impossible even WITH an MRI. Don't let your doc try to do it without.
3. Work with a physical therapist. In my experience, Chiro's do very little. PT's do the same things but also seek to strengthen muscles to correct the problem.

Likely, PT is going to be your best bet to get back on the bike and avoid future issues.

Good luck!

-s
Of course this is not always the case. I was in PT when I had my problem, the forced stretching made the problem worse. The injury was not ready to be strengthened. PT's do not do the same thing as Chiro's, and to say one is better then the other is wrong. It really depends on the injury and the state of that injury. However ice in perhaps the best therapy in most case's. The key with Ciro is finding a good one. Ive seen far too many of the keep ya coming back variety.
Old 09-08-10, 09:28 AM
JazNine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, see a doctor but this sounds like the sort of thing you may need to manage yourself over time. The best three things I have found to help manage a chronically cranky back:
1) crunches each morning. Build slowly, watch technique so you don't stress the back, and a stronger core is a huge benefit. My back problems are now much less often and recovery is much quicker (two days versus two weeks).
2) regular walking. Cycling exclusively can lead to flexibility problems that are only partially addressed by stretching;
3) stretch daily but gently.
Old 09-08-10, 09:41 AM
kbtommy
Danger to Himself

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2008 Trek 4300, 2006 Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You definitely need to see a doctor to ask for advice about your exercise regimen. Also, could your bike fit be exacerbating the issue?

I've got two bulging and one slightly torn disc, but they're not bad enough to warrant surgery... yet. So it's all about pain management, being careful and exercising. Interestingly, I found that regular cycling has actually made my back pain decrease substantially - which is why I asked the question about bike fit.

Since I took up riding, my back pain isn't nearly as bad as it once was. It's a wonderful thing.
Old 09-08-10, 09:49 AM
naiku

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back pain stinks, I have also experienced this and get slight pains around hips/legs as well. I find that for me any type of exercise helps enormously, especially running. The times I experience it the most are when sitting for extended periods of time, and I am sure my crappy commute (3 hours+ a day in the car) do not help this at all.

Last edited by naiku; 09-08-10 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-08-10, 10:09 AM
truckstop

Bikes: '10 Felt ZW6, '06 Bianchi San Jose, '04 Giant Yukon

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have herniated and degenerating discs L4/5 and L5/S1 which cause sciatica, at its worst, all the way down to my foot.

Stretching and Pilates helped me. Chiro helped initial acute pain, but then became kind of useless.

Doing a lot of crunches, and only working one group of muscles made it worse. If you're going to do crunches, do other core exercises to keep a balance.

Swimming makes my back hurt - if I try doing a lot of freestyle laps. Back extensions (arching back, instead of bending forward) makes things worse.

Running made it worse - too much impact.

Getting a bike that fit me properly helped a lot to ride pain free.
Old 09-08-10, 12:53 PM
Bill

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machka
1. Visit a Dr.

2. Do you ride a gel saddle? And is your saddle very flat?
No, i don't ride a gel saddle. Saddle is flat (stock cut-out saddle that came with my Specialized Roubaix). I am feeling better. The swimming and fast walking seemed to help today. I'm not sure when I'll get back on my bike.
Old 09-08-10, 01:05 PM
kbtommy
Danger to Himself

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2008 Trek 4300, 2006 Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill
No, i don't ride a gel saddle. Saddle is flat (stock cut-out saddle that came with my Specialized Roubaix). I am feeling better. The swimming and fast walking seemed to help today. I'm not sure when I'll get back on my bike.
Well, you've got the right bike for it (I bought a Roubaix and that was one of the many reasons I liked it so much). If it's the same saddle that I got when I bought my 08 Roubaix (Avatar Gel), then that might also be part of the problem... I hated that saddle.

Also, seriously, if you haven't yet, get fitted.
Old 09-08-10, 02:03 PM
Stickney
Longing for a Tail Wind

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
There are many good suggestions listed above -- but just remember, every case is a bit different. I have tried most of the alternatives suggested and some have worked while others haven't.

Personally, what helped me was doing core exercises (that can be yoga, or stretching, or crunches). But you may have to wait for your back to heal a bit before you go hard at it. I have found that back immobilization doesn't help, and that continuing to move (particularly walks and swimming) when my back starts to ache seem to help. But that is me. You may have to figure out what works for you. And that may take time.

There are a lot of cyclists on this board that have had back pain and continue to manage it. Some have had surgery, some are in PT, others work out -- my opinion is just keep trying things until you find something that works, have patience, and be prepared to manage your back for the rest of your life.

Good Luck! Being off the bike is frustrating, so be patient, you will be riding again.
Old 09-08-10, 03:42 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill
You may want to give another saddle a try.

I can't ride flat saddles because of the lower back pain I get when I try to ride them. And I had one fairly soft saddle for a long time that was all right ... and then all of a sudden one day, I developed sciatic pain every time I rode. Switched saddles, and all was well again.
Old 09-08-10, 04:23 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 447 Posts
Everyone's problem is a bit different. There are several areas where the nerves can be pinched. Riding a bike ha never bothered me, but I can't sit for very long without a special pad or leaning forward to place the weight onto my thighs. I went to a spinal surgeon and he would not prescribe an MRI until I completed 6 weeks of physical therapy. I've been doing core exercises, like hanging knee raises for years, but that's no cure for me. I've been in therapy for only a couple of weeks and I'm feeling better, but I was feeling better just before the problem suddenly became worse. My therapist hooks me up to some sort of electrical device that makes my lower back and butt tingle. It actually seems to help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.