Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Eating before a commute

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Eating before a commute

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-10, 07:30 PM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
20 miles is a long commute. I would suggest you also have at least a couple of shorter rides that you can drive to and leave your car. There are many reasons for this including getting a late start, having to get home quicker for appointments etc etc etc.

Bimodal commuting will go a long way in keeping you motivated.

You will work out the eating thing as you progress. I would start with toast or cereal at first and maybe eat a good breakfast at your morning break.
Old 09-05-10, 05:51 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by old's'cool
If you're in good shape, you shouldn't need to eat much of anything before your ride.
That's a huge generalization to make. I'm in good shape, and I find my body performs better with food (given sufficient time to digest). That being said, I get up and ride 17 miles almost every morning before I come home and eat breakfast. So I don't really "need" it, but my body works better with it.
Old 09-08-10, 07:27 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by chandltp
That's a huge generalization to make. I'm in good shape, and I find my body performs better with food (given sufficient time to digest)...
Ah, there's the rub. Time is of the essence. For me it wouldn't be worth it to get up earlier, eat & digest food, ride to work at a faster pace, and get there at the same time than just sleeping in and ride to work without eating. My pace is about 20mph, so I doubt there's much to be gained there anyway. I'd much rather have the sleep.

Last edited by old's'cool; 09-09-10 at 06:28 PM. Reason: speling/typo/formatting
Old 09-09-10, 04:14 AM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by capejohn
20 miles is a long commute. I would suggest you also have at least a couple of shorter rides that you can drive to and leave your car. There are many reasons for this including getting a late start, having to get home quicker for appointments etc etc etc.

Bimodal commuting will go a long way in keeping you motivated.

You will work out the eating thing as you progress. I would start with toast or cereal at first and maybe eat a good breakfast at your morning break.
I do the multi-modal commute thing often. It works well.
Old 09-09-10, 04:16 AM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by old's'cool
Ah, there's the rub. Time is of the essence. For me it wouldn't be worth it to get up earlier, eat & [/i]digest[/b] food, ride to work at a faster pace, and get there at the same time than just sleeping in and ride to work without eating. My pace is about 20mph, so I doubt there's much to be gained there anyway. I'd much rather have the sleep.
Get up earlier (I wake at 5:30 now), ride 17 miles and THEN ride to work. You gotta be kidding!
Old 09-09-10, 04:24 AM
FreddyV

Bikes: Giant OCR

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used to eat before riding, but have been making a change in that for the past few weeks.

Before I leave I eat a banana. I hop onto the bike and ride in to work, where I unscrew the lid of my thermal bottle and drink my (still warm) oatmeal. Works great as for recovery as well. My ride is about 16 miles one way, which is slightly less than an hour.
Old 09-09-10, 05:58 AM
mgurtzweiler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
High fiber oatmeal with a tablespoon of ground up flax seed, some coffee, and a banana or some other piece of fruit every morning before my 20 mile commute. No problems even on days when I do intervals.
Old 09-10-10, 11:47 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
some train without nutrition - sounds nuts to me - but each his own. I liked ot eat before I train 1 - 2 hours then have a simple carb right beforehand. Today about 1.5 hrs before my GYM session I had 2 fozen blueberry waffles and a small chicken cutlet. I skipped the raisins right beforehand.
Old 09-10-10, 12:13 PM
jeffpoulin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I wake up at 5:30 and eat a big breakfast (for me). I hate eating at that hour, but if I don't eat, I'll be famished before 9:00 and won't have another opportunity to eat until lunch. I don't eat before my ride home, however.
Old 09-10-10, 05:55 PM
BA Commuter
Comfortably Numb!

Bikes: Jamis Commuter 3.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I get up much earlier now that I'm a little older, so I always have time to eat a light breakfast. Cereal, fruit or a P&J sammie w/coffee and I'm ready to roll.

I don't feel right heading out on an empty stomach, especially with coffee sloshing around...
Old 09-10-10, 06:20 PM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
A pint of tomato juice before you go then pack a banana and some sandwiches with Vegemite for crib when I get to work.
Old 09-11-10, 11:16 AM
ZmanKC

Bikes: 1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2015 Giant Anyroad 1

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bowl of cereal. Sometimes an apple or something else when I get to work.
Old 09-11-10, 11:29 AM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Typically one doesn't need to eat immediately after they wake up, your body keeps blood sugar at a certain level for a while after rising. You can exercise this way for a short time and it may be more comfortable than riding on a full stomach.

If you don't have time to sit and eat the meal, cook your breakfast the night before, toss it in and ride to work.

Try to keep breakfast sugars low and to avoid a sugar spike at work after, eat mostly things like eggs, oatmeal, milk. No fruit juices, eat the fruit instead - the fruit's fiber buffers the sugar absorption.

Oatmeal is the breakfast of champions.
Old 09-11-10, 01:15 PM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Bowl of shredded wheat typically. Some honey for flavor.
I ride 9.7 miles to work and it takes 30 minutes, I'm hauling as fast as I can to make it a workout.
I decided once this week I'd do it before eating anything. I went out and felt the same as if I'd eaten.
The endorphine buzz kept me from feeling hungry though and I forgot to eat my breakfast once I got to work. Had it with lunch (cottage cheese and yogurt with shredded wheat) and drank a bunch of water through the day.
That day i decided to go the long way home to stop at the LBS so it was a 22 mile evening ride. I only had water with me, didn't eat a snack before leaving work. I started to feel a little weaker on the last 6 miles. I think it could have happened anyway, but I thought the main thing I did was change my eating routine.

I have a fairly strong stomach though so I can eat up and then hit the road within 5 min and feel relatively fine.