Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Economic Race-Capable Road Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-10, 12:14 PM
Commodus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi guys, strange question...at least for me.

I've been a mountain biker forever and a commuter/car-free/utility cyclist for while now, but I want to get into some racing. Due to a career-reboot recently, money is very tight.

I don't know much about cheap road bike stuff, as I've always been able to afford pretty well whatever I wanted when it came to bicycles - though my wants have been modest.

When I think about cheap sporty bikes, I think aluminum and 105. But now I'm wondering...can I race on Tiagra? It's not like I'm going to win anything, I just want to get out there and have some fun. What's the cheapest race-capable group? Force maybe?

Also, a while ago I picked up an old steel race bike with DT shifters. I like them, but I've never done any racing - how ridiculous would it be to show up with DTs at a race? Is it a matter of people pointing and laughing, or is it like showing up with a twin-shock bike at a modern motocross track: you're going to lose really badly, probably break something and maybe get hurt?

Anyways, some direction please. I tried searching a little, but the search function on these boards frustrates me.
Old 09-18-10, 12:20 PM
Sapience

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
SRAM Apex just came out and I honestly feel like tiagra would do you good in Cat 5 if it's a relatively new/well maintained set.

Best option is hop on ebay. I got an Ultegra 6500 complete group I have been using for over a year now with just $250.

As far as showing up to a race with DTs, I wouldn't for safety issues. You simply can't react quick enough to the pace of the field, or something might happen in front of you when you have your hand off the bars going for the shifter.
Old 09-18-10, 12:36 PM
jr59

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
That depends on how well you ride.

How quick you are to shift the DT's and not miss a beat.

IMO; IF you are racing just for fun; Ride whatever you want.
What difference does it make? Fun is just that, fun.

People are going to scream that you need this and that, but the truth of it is,
you need to pay your $$, pump your tires up, pin your #, and pedal. Oh yea, a sleeved shirt, and a helmet.

Thats it!

Three more things, a big heart, big set of lungs, and strong legs.

Most pro's can beat most cat 4-5 racers on a MTB with knobies.
Old 09-18-10, 07:47 PM
Keep SA Lame
Retro Dork

Bikes: Cherry '81 Schwinn Le Tour, '07 Gary Fisher MTB and a bianchi road something or other

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Budget racer??

I'd go with Used CAAD 9 with 105 stuff from ebay. (or even possible CAAD 7 or 8)
Old 09-18-10, 08:00 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked 937 Times in 620 Posts
It's nice to have a nice bike, but for racing, we all know that any road bike will work, assuming it's in good condition. (OK, I would turn down the 30 lb Walmart bike and keep looking)

As for downtubes, nobody will care. It's how you ride that matters (fitness, handling ...). DT are fine if you're a competent rider. Modern shifters are better, but that doesn't stop DT from working.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 09-18-10 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-18-10, 08:04 PM
ptle

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I know people who race on Sora/Tiagra and do fine.

As long as you've got something that can shift your gears fine, you'll be good.

I recommend getting Tiagra because of the paddle shifters.

You could get something used with decent, but older components.
Old 09-18-10, 10:37 PM
MaxCycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Tiagra 9 speed STI's on my cross bike with a Tiagra FD and 105 RD. They function well. Fit and finish isn't quite up to par with the higher level groups but I like the feel. I run older Ultegra on my road bike. I don't race on the road, just ride a lot. I know from experience that if you are in shape, it really doesn't matter what group you're running. Between my two bikes, the groups really don't change my performance. I've spent a lot of time with DT shifters not long ago and I like the precise shifting, but for racing I can imagine it being both a safety hazard and annoying. Bar end shifters could be a cheaper option.
Old 09-18-10, 10:49 PM
Pb_Okole
Who is Austin Dunbar?

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Lynskey Sportive, Lynskey GR 270,

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sapience
As far as showing up to a race with DTs, I wouldn't for safety issues. You simply can't react quick enough to the pace of the field, or something might happen in front of you when you have your hand off the bars going for the shifter.
This is pure pig pucky. I have been racing since 1980 and there weren't any more crashes back then. If fact, we didn't even have indexed shifting and somehow managed to muddle through finding the right gear without running into a ditch or another rider. Downtube shifters may be a disadvantage in some situations such as sprinting or having to shift out of corners in a crit but I don't consider them a safety hazard for a rider competent enough to be racing in the first place.
Old 09-18-10, 10:56 PM
redvespablur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized Allez is a great budget racing bike. Good resale if you change your mind. Lots of price point with different drivetrains. Lots available used.

I have a nice 1986 one but the new stuff works fine.
Old 09-18-10, 11:05 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 412 Posts
Tiagra is good enough for what you want IMO.
Old 09-18-10, 11:18 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The most important thing is that it is functional and reliable. Pretty much anything in good working order fits that bill.
Old 09-18-10, 11:37 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Plenty of people are racing on 9-speed, whether it's older DA or newer Tiagra. Find a bike that fits with equipment that works. That's all you need.
Old 09-19-10, 12:21 AM
agarose2000

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Go to your LBS and just buy an intro-level road bike with drop bars. You will be able to race with the best riders with no problem if you're strong enough.

I own a Giant Defy3 ($695 at LBS in early 2009) with Sora/2200 parts, and it's my main ride for hammerfest roadie group rides.

My pricey Cervelo sits on my trainer now, it's that good.
Old 09-19-10, 10:56 AM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks so much guys!

Looks like I'll get into the game with my DT bike, and watch the local CL/Ebay real close. Knowing that Tiagra and even Sora bikes are out there being campaigned successfully really opens up my options.

Now to make some cycling-specific changes to my off-season gym routine