Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Man fired for wearing LiveStrong Braclet

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-05, 03:12 PM
Cerberusgl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This was in the news today. https://www.thekcrachannel.com/news/4480849/detail.html Do you think it is fair? Dress codes are important but some go to far. I don't eat at Claim Jumpers anyways but I thought some of you might have some good feedback on this one.
Old 05-12-05, 03:19 PM
Smaug
Drug Company Pawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm skeptical. in my experience, situations like this are rarely as simple as this. I'd be willing to bet that this guy had more than a few other issues that led to his termination.
Old 05-12-05, 03:21 PM
ckleps

Bikes: 2002 Bianchi Veloce 2005 Gary Fisher Marlin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its a private company so obviously its within their legal rights. I think the question that is important is how did the man react when he was asked to remove the braclet, whether you agree or not with his right to wear it in the workplace shouldn't matter. If the man became threatening or beligerent when asked to remove it he deserved to be fired, regardless of whether or not we agree with the bracelet. What if it was a dirty undershirt instead of a bracelet and he threatened to punch the manager when asked to change. There is no way we can have any real opinion on this matter because we have no real knowledge of what occured. Its only a news story because it was the livestrong band and not some other dress code violation.

I agree with the previous poster, my job involves looking at situations where people think they were fired for their race or age or gender, or whatever, often as he mentioned multiple issues are in play
Old 05-12-05, 03:22 PM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Legal? Yes.

Ethical? Maybe not. Especially if they allow other workers to wear any type of jewelry. The bracelet does not have any level of distaste. Unless of course, it ends up in someones dinner.

If no one else is allowed to wear any kind of jewelry, then asking him to remove it for safety and cleanliness reasons, it is entirely acceptible.
Old 05-12-05, 03:22 PM
lilHinault

Bikes: .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like he's ready to pick up another job, and I can kinda see a rule against jewelry etc for bartenders, if there's a pattern of jewelry catching on bottles etc and causing more accidents and breakage.

Hopefully this leads to a better job for the guy, he may get offered one due to the publicity.
Old 05-12-05, 03:31 PM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess my question would be "what did he gain by sticking to his guns?". I realize he had lost members of his family to cancer (so have I) but refusing to conform to the dress code did little to remedy that situation. And his small donation to the foundation would not have been reduced had he taken it off for work.

A company has a right to enforce a dress code up to certain limits and has to anticipate the market's reaction to those decisions. This could be bad for business for claim jumper but I don't think they were out of line for letting him go; ignorant of the critical mass of yellow band wearers, perhaps.

Having spent years in restaurant jobs, I am pretty sure this situation falls into one of two categories:
1. The guy was a problem employee and this was the straw that broke the camel's back or an excuse to do what should have been done long ago (most managers would ignore such things).
2. He was the victim of an insecure or inexperienced manager who did not know how to pick his/her battles and told him to take it off one day, the employee refused, and the manager felt like he could not back down and lose face.

I think most of us are for the foundation and against cancer, but one should consider prioritizing the ability to earn income along with those ideals.
Old 05-12-05, 03:50 PM
gattm99
Rouleur

Bikes: ROAD MOUNTAIN

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
This is just another example of EVIL corporate america thinking they can control our lives like slaves. Well I'm glad he told them to shove it.
Old 05-12-05, 03:55 PM
oldskoolboarder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a side note, have any of you eaten at Claim Jumpers? I went to the one in Phoenix and the patrons had to be some of the BIGGEST people I've EVER seen. Granted I'm jaded, coming from vain Silicon Valley, but man 'o man most of the customers were overweight. Not hard to fathom, consider that the food portions are enormous. I'd guess none of them were cyclists...

I agree, we're missing part of the story. Also, if he can't wear the bracelet, I'd assume all employees weren't allowed similar jewelry. That kind of dress code is up to the company's discretion.
Old 05-12-05, 03:56 PM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder
As a side note, have any of you eaten at Claim Jumpers? I went to the one in Phoenix and the patrons had to be some of the BIGGEST people I've EVER seen. Granted I'm jaded, coming from vain Silicon Valley, but man 'o man most of the customers were overweight. Not hard to fathom, consider that the food portions are enormous. I'd guess none of them were cyclists...

I agree, we're missing part of the story. Also, if he can't wear the bracelet, I'd assume all employees weren't allowed similar jewelry. That kind of dress code is up to the company's discretion.
I have also eaten at the one in phoenix (the biggest meal I have ever ordered). We still laugh about how full we got while blowing that bonus check. I loved the food.
Old 05-12-05, 03:59 PM
Smaug
Drug Company Pawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gattm99
This is just another example of EVIL corporate america thinking they can control our lives like slaves. Well I'm glad he told them to shove it.
You've GOT to be kidding me...

Why do you assume the employee is the one in the right? The article is somewhat thin on details and it's entirely possible that this guy was a bad employee who deserved to be fired. In fact, considering that most would see terminating a person for this to be an overreaction, it seems reasonable that there's more to this guys history than is contained in this article.

BTW, Corporations are not evil. Hitler, Hussein, Pol Pot... that's evil. All corporations do is provide jobs and drive the economy. Geesh...
Old 05-12-05, 04:04 PM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
gattm99,

If owned a small pub, and had trouble with cleanliness and saftey issues, would I then be considered EVIL corporate America, because I as a small business owner wanted my workers to be clean and safe, thus providing better service to my customers?

I used to work in the food service industry for years, so yes it is entirely acceptible, and just plain common sense to require workers to remove ALL jewelry when working.
Old 05-12-05, 04:41 PM
Bolo Grubb

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720 with a Nexus hub, 2016 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaug
I'm skeptical. in my experience, situations like this are rarely as simple as this. I'd be willing to bet that this guy had more than a few other issues that led to his termination.

There are alot of details of this story I am sure we are not getting. It is rare that anyone gets fired without going through several steps of documenting breach of policy & behavior.
Old 05-12-05, 05:00 PM
jakemoffatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jeez its just a bracelet... take it off at work and put it on when you leave you numbskull.

If it was a medical bracelet or something necessary that would be different.

We all make choices that preclude us from certain opportunities. What if some guy tatooed his forehead with Pepsi and then applied for a job at Coke? Should he be able to sue for discrimination? Nuhuh.

It just doesn't make sense that everyone should be able to wear whatever they want and if thats not the case its discrimination. There is a time for a Lance bracelet and a time for no Lance bracelet.

Previously mentioned but the guy probably had other issues on top of this. I mean... if hes throwing a fit about something as trivial as a bracelet how is his attitude in other areas of work?
Old 05-12-05, 05:26 PM
mrballistic
Boo-ya!

Bikes: Handbuilt steel with Ultegra10/FSA parts; a fully customized Bianchi Pista with phil hubs, carbon fork, king headset, etc. it's tough.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well... anyone expecting a bartender to be totally a 'by the book' sort of individual is just kidding themselves. if he wanted to be a corporate ******, he'd get a job with a suit. making your bar staff abide by specific draconian rules really just gets you people without personalities.
Old 05-12-05, 05:33 PM
jim-bob
hateful little monkey

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrballistic
well... anyone expecting a bartender to be totally a 'by the book' sort of individual is just kidding themselves. if he wanted to be a corporate ******, he'd get a job with a suit. making your bar staff abide by specific draconian rules really just gets you people without personalities.
This is a TGI Friday's kind of place we're talking about, not the local dive. They're all about 'by the book' sort of stuff, with just enough enforced wackiness to make it feel fun to the average corporate overeater/drinker.
Old 05-12-05, 05:36 PM
mrballistic
Boo-ya!

Bikes: Handbuilt steel with Ultegra10/FSA parts; a fully customized Bianchi Pista with phil hubs, carbon fork, king headset, etc. it's tough.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jim-bob
This is a TGI Friday's kind of place we're talking about, not the local dive. They're all about 'by the book' sort of stuff, with just enough enforced wackiness to make it feel fun to the average corporate overeater/drinker.

hrm... i guess that he couldn't chalk up his 'band as 'flair', then?
Old 05-12-05, 05:38 PM
squeegy200

Bikes: Colnago Altain, Klein Pulse II, Stumpjumper FSR, GT Zaskar LE, Pedalforce RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This story was dying for the "Flare" punchline.
Oh, you beat me to it!
Old 05-12-05, 05:40 PM
Smaug
Drug Company Pawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squeegy200
Oh, you beat me to it!
You DO want to express yourself, don't you?

Old 05-12-05, 05:45 PM
Avalanche325

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze / GT Avalanche

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In case you didn't know, Claim Jumper is a restaraunt, not a wild Ft. Lauderdale spring break night club. Restaraunt bars are not usually looking for their bartenders to be Tom Cruise in Cocktail.

If this guy was any sort of a value to the company, he would not be fired for something that seems so trivial. If wearing a braclet is a safety or health code issue, then the employer has to take a "no exception" stance on the rule.

I don't think his publicity will be getting him any other job offers. Most bosses don't go near a verified trouble maker.

Here is what his real rights are. He has the right to abide by the dress code that his employers specify, or he has the right to get a different job. It sounds like he chose the second option.
Old 05-12-05, 06:58 PM
Wheel Doctor
Ride it, don't fondle it!

Bikes: Raleigh M80, Bacchetta AERO, Bacchetta GIRO, BikeE, 83' TREK 970, Catrike Speed, IRO Fixie/SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaug
I agree, so often there is soooo much more to the story than is reported. Leaving stuff out to slant the story is quite common today in urinalism, opps! Journalism
Old 05-12-05, 07:14 PM
cascade168
Klaatu barada nikto

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by squeegy200
Oh, you beat me to it!
Yeh, that place had better not be taking away any red staplers from unpaid workers
Old 05-12-05, 07:17 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Patriot
gattm99,

If owned a small pub, and had trouble with cleanliness and saftey issues, would I then be considered EVIL corporate America, because I as a small business owner wanted my workers to be clean and safe, thus providing better service to my customers?

I used to work in the food service industry for years, so yes it is entirely acceptible, and just plain common sense to require workers to remove ALL jewelry when working.
It could also be that the bracelet is soft plastic, which health codes might not allow wearing because they don't have a hard surface that doesn't hold germs.
Old 05-12-05, 07:20 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Bolo Grubb
There are alot of details of this story I am sure we are not getting. It is rare that anyone gets fired without going through several steps of documenting breach of policy & behavior.
Yeah couldn't agree more. Reminds me of another story where a kid was arrested as a terrorist for writting a fictional story about attack on a school. The local news painted him as an innocent kid who didn't know any better. After I dug further what little information was available pointed out that the news report wasn't even close to the truth. Although the athorities might have overeacted and made a kid in to a terrorist, the kid wasn't exacly squeky clean himself.
Old 05-12-05, 07:22 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
What does the actual rule that he violated say?
What is the reasoning behind the rule?
How consistently has the rule been enforced?

I like Lance Armstrong bracelets, but I wouldn't want to find one in my hamburger.
Old 05-12-05, 08:00 PM
ZackJones
On Your Right

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He probably wasn't wearing the minimum number of pieces.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.