Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Replacing chewed up inserts on Langster dropouts

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-10, 11:57 AM
losmark
relax. it's only me.

Bikes: Specialized Langster, Cannondale Major Taylor, Cannondale Caffeine 29er, Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've recently got my hands on a 2008 Langster (my second) in great shape except for the track ends. They're protected by a set of steel inserts that looked to be screwed on and possibly bonded in some way. The previous owner used the stock wheelset which had pretty crappy track nuts that don't seem to have done a good job spreading the load. There are a series of deep gouges in the inserts that may be nothing more than a cosmetic problem - I'd prefer to replace those inserts if I can do it reasonably.

I've spoken with a few of the larger Specialized dealers in the area and have found that those inserts are not a part they can order. Specialized support (online and by phone) have told me that those parts may only be available through warranty (if at all). I have a dealer contacting the warranty rep. but haven't had any response. I doubt this is a high priority for them since I haven't dropped the frame off attempting to make a warranty claim.

Has anyone had any luck, or even been turned down outright, trying to get replacement inserts from Specialized? Does anyone know of another source for something like this? I've also considered using something like the Surly Tuggnut to prevent further damage to inserts and help spread the load of the track nuts. Has anyone used the Tuggnut that way?

Thanks for any help with this.

Mark.
Old 09-13-10, 12:12 PM
rustybrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These might work if Specialized fails on their customer service. It may be considered a wear item under the warranty.
Old 09-13-10, 01:05 PM
losmark
relax. it's only me.

Bikes: Specialized Langster, Cannondale Major Taylor, Cannondale Caffeine 29er, Raleigh Super Course

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the link. I email Bikeisland for dimensions and got a response in minutes. Those are slightly smaller than mine and use three screw holes (two in the Langster)

When you say Specialized may consider these a "wear item" - do you mean just that they would expect the user to pay for their replacement? As the third owner of this frame I doubt they'd offer the lifetime warranty the original owner had in any case. I'd be happy to pay (reasonably) for the replacements if available.

Thanks, Mark.
Old 09-13-10, 06:24 PM
dansjustchillin
Retrograde Customs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 24 Posts
Funny when I call my rep I get those sent right out.
Old 09-13-10, 06:29 PM
Capocaccia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by losmark
Thanks for the link. I email Bikeisland for dimensions and got a response in minutes. Those are slightly smaller than mine and use three screw holes (two in the Langster)

When you say Specialized may consider these a "wear item" - do you mean just that they would expect the user to pay for their replacement? As the third owner of this frame I doubt they'd offer the lifetime warranty the original owner had in any case. I'd be happy to pay (reasonably) for the replacements if available.

Thanks, Mark.
Specialized Warranties apply to original owners only. But I dont see why you couldnt get them to ship you these parts. Im almost 100% sure you could get them to do it. When I spoke with them about my langster the first words I got were "Everybody that works at specialized owns a langster you chose a really fun bike."
Old 09-13-10, 06:38 PM
vw addict

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, Cannondale R700, Specialized Langster, Iron Horse Hollowpoint Team, Schwinn Homegrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Capocaccia
"Everybody that works at specialized owns a langster you chose a really fun bike."
that's it, I'm sending mine back.
Old 09-13-10, 08:38 PM
losmark
relax. it's only me.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dansjustchillin
Funny when I call my rep I get those sent right out.
If you want to pass on the part number or your rep's phone number, I'd find either one useful.
Old 09-13-10, 09:20 PM
xkillemallx16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my dropouts were fine. however, besides needing cash for the soma, the only big gripe i have with the langster was the low bb. the steel inserts were great on mine.
Old 09-13-10, 09:42 PM
jtgotsjets

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Why not just bolt your wheel on where the marks are? Bam, problem solved.
Old 09-14-10, 10:01 AM
Capocaccia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because the wheel and or axel caused this inthe first place. That's putting a bandaid on the issue and will only make it worse. Do it right do it once.
Old 09-14-10, 10:05 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 105 Posts
Can you flip them over and use the unscratched side?
Old 09-14-10, 10:53 AM
rustybrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, wear item like a chain or tires. But since you're the third owner, the best course of action may be to pester the Specialized dealer into calling the rep then and there, or contact the company yourself. The horse's mouth may produce a quicker result.
Old 09-14-10, 11:49 AM
fuji86

Bikes: 1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 2015 Bianchi Kuma 27.2 24 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cynikal
This would've been my first thought, then there's always trying the L & R side for interchangeability ? That's if there is no difference in them and they aren't a L or R handed part ?

As for Surly's tugnut(s), those are relatively expensive in comparison to the Origin 8's, but both are quality items and work. The Origin 8's come as a pair for the left and right side, I'm not certain if the Surly tugnut is sold separately ? Others have gotten by with using a Surly tugnut on the chain side.

Last edited by fuji86; 09-14-10 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-14-10, 12:57 PM
Hirohsima

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cynikal
Good suggestion Chris, but the holes are counter sunk to allow the fixing screws to not protrude.

I am following this thread because my plates are getting worn to the point where the clamping section where I place my wheel has a noticable indent and will want to replace my own plates soon.
Old 09-14-10, 01:11 PM
Wil
Brake chatter on CX forks

Bikes: '04 Kona Jake, '05 Kona Stuff, '07 Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've also been looking into getting replacement inserts for my Langster, as well. But I've had, mixed results. I emailed Specialized and got a part number for it, because the when I asked a Specialized shop (the one where I bought my Langster, they told me that they couldn' get the part) I asked another after I got the part number, but they never got back to me.

I'm hoping three times lucky: I'm going to ask another shop.

In any event this is the part number, for the replacement inserts, that Specialized emailed me. "W2070371"

Hopefully y'all dont' have ****ty Specialized shops, where you are.
Old 09-14-10, 01:20 PM
fuji86

Bikes: 1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 2015 Bianchi Kuma 27.2 24 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd throw on a pair of Origin 8 chain tensioners as they will fit on the outer side anyway and provide a clean/new surface for the track nuts to tighten down on.

https://www.origin-8.com/product_deta...ter&cl1=CHAINS
Old 09-14-10, 03:39 PM
jtgotsjets

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Capocaccia
Because the wheel and or axel caused this inthe first place. That's putting a bandaid on the issue and will only make it worse. Do it right do it once.
I still don't understand why it's a problem. Cover it up with the nut and you can't see it, plus your wheel grips the dropouts better because it's got something a little rough to bite into. So aesthetically, it looks the same and functionally, it works better.

If your bike doesn't have scratches, you're not riding it enough.
Old 09-14-10, 03:49 PM
Capocaccia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jtgotsjets
I still don't understand why it's a problem. Cover it up with the nut and you can't see it, plus your wheel grips the dropouts better because it's got something a little rough to bite into. So aesthetically, it looks the same and functionally, it works better.

I mean in theory it might work. But also we are to believe that excessive wear due to regular use caused these messed up track ends in the first place. I dont know about you but it makes good sense to me to replace wear and tear parts as needed. But back to the original premise, do it right do it once.
Old 09-15-10, 01:15 AM
losmark
relax. it's only me.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jtgotsjets

These may be just a cosmetic issue at this point but the inserts strike me as a sacrificial part. They're there to take the brunt of whatever abuse is dished out without causing damage to an integral part of the frame. I'm not against scratches or even the occasional dent that doesn't threaten the structure of the frame. If I can reasonably replace these, before there's an irreparable harm, I'll do it.

As it stands there are a series of chewed up indentations along either sides of the inserts on both track ends. It seems apparent that the previous owners used different ratios and had their respective wheels in different areas of the dropouts. No chance of merely covering them when my own wheel is in place.

I still haven't given up on Specialized and appreciate the responses here and especially the part number from Wil. I'll report back on how that works out.

Thanks, Mark.
Old 10-12-10, 01:23 PM
losmark
relax. it's only me.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Victory bump!

I picked up my new replacement inserts today from Cynergy cycles in Santa Monica. They had trouble getting just one set, but say they may keep them in stock if they get enough requests. They'll go on the bike tomorrow and I'll finish building it up over the weekend. Pics to follow.

Mark.
Old 10-12-10, 01:46 PM
Wil
Brake chatter on CX forks

Bikes: '04 Kona Jake, '05 Kona Stuff, '07 Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm happy that you were able to get the inserts! There may be hope for my Langster and the ****ty Specialized Shops (that I've been to) here in Toronto, yet!
Old 10-12-10, 02:35 PM
Hirohsima

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Victory bump!

I picked up my new replacement inserts today from Cynergy cycles in Santa Monica. They had trouble getting just one set, but say they may keep them in stock if they get enough requests. They'll go on the bike tomorrow and I'll finish building it up over the weekend. Pics to follow.

Mark.
Thx for the pointer, Just sent them a note..... hopefully they ship.