Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fuji Roubaix 1.0 vs caad9-4

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-10, 04:23 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm more less committed to buy a 2010 caad9-4 but I've still been looking around. Today I saw the Fuji Roubaix. It's a few hundred cheaper than the caad and with the 15% coupon they have it's more like $400 less. Both have rival but the caad has a force crank. I don't know anything about the wheels. The Fuji is around 3lbs heavier. Is the lighter weight and the force crank worth the extra $400? They don't have my size so I haven't ridden it yet but I was just wondering what others thought about the Fuji vs the caad as I don't have experience with them. Thanks.
Old 11-16-10, 04:38 PM
sixate

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I had an 09 Fuji Roubaix. I rode it for over a year, and replaced the frame with a 2010 CAAD 9. The CAAD 9 is a waaaaay better frame. I could care less what the differences in components are because as far as I'm concerned the frame is worth $400 over the Fuji. The CAAD 9 is stiffer and lighter. The BB area on my Roubaix always creaked when sprinting and when I would stand while climbing. There was a lot of flex in the headtube area, too. My CAAD 9 doesn't make a single creak, and is way more rigid with a smoother ride. I've spent plenty of time on each frame with the exact same components, and the CAAD 9 is a superior frame in every way. Don't waste your time thinking about the Fuji.

Pics below are of my CAAD 9 now, and of the Fuji before I bought the new frame.

Old 11-16-10, 04:50 PM
Menel

Bikes: Helix, HonkyTonk, NailTrail

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That CAAD9 looks wonky as hell, huge head tube, tiny tires, 650's or something?

I have an '08 Fuji Roubaix, been a great bike. Many 1,000's of miles. Rides good and fast and comfortable on many 60, 80, 100+ mile rides. Climbs mountains good, and descends up to 50mph with stable and sure handling. No regrets.

But that CAAD9 should have all that... and seems to have a HUGE FOLLOWING. Based on the following, if I had it to do over again, I'd probably go CAAD9.
Old 11-16-10, 05:39 PM
MrClyde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a 2010 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, got it for like $900 out the door with one of their sales. I put on a Force crank and a set of PSIMET wheels, I've been happy with it so far. I have not had creaking, and I don't feel a ton of flex. The red Fuji above is the version with the carbon seat stays, mine is all alum. with carbon fork and SRAM Rival.

The bike is not holding me back any.
Old 11-16-10, 05:52 PM
cooleric1234

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm guessing the CAAD9 is the largest frame size available (64 cm). I have a 61 cm and it's starting to look a little odd. That's just the way it is with larger bikes.

DSC01685 (Medium)..JPG
Old 11-16-10, 05:58 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sixate
I had an 09 Fuji Roubaix. I rode it for over a year, and replaced the frame with a 2010 CAAD 9. The CAAD 9 is a waaaaay better frame. I could care less what the differences in components are because as far as I'm concerned the frame is worth $400 over the Fuji.
That is pretty much what I was wondering. My own research suggests the caad9 frame is one of the best alu frames. Didn't know if the fuji stacked up well against it or not. I'm hoping to pick up the caad this weekend and don't think they would have a fuji in time for me to ride so I was just trying to see if it might be worth holding off to save a few hundred. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-16-10, 06:00 PM
M_FactorX19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrClyde
I got a 2010 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, got it for like $900 out the door with one of their sales. I put on a Force crank and a set of PSIMET wheels, I've been happy with it so far. I have not had creaking, and I don't feel a ton of flex. The red Fuji above is the version with the carbon seat stays, mine is all alum. with carbon fork and SRAM Rival.

The bike is not holding me back any.
you have the Roubaix not the Roubaix ACR then right?
OP is the Fuji Roubaix you are looking at a Roubaix ACR or just the Roubaix? the ACRs (all conditions race) were new for 10' and they have the carbon seat stays. i have the ACR 3.0 and for the money that bike is hard to beat in my opinion. no creaking, no flex, handles very well and is responsive and lively. if its $400 cheaper i say go for it and you have some left over for shoes pedals or whatever else you need. if you dont need anything then you either have money for upgrades or some extra cash. Both are nice bikes and are very similar so i would go with the one that feels the best and if thats a toss up then go for the cheaper one.
here is a pic of my ACR soon after i got it. its a good all around entry level bike. I think the 3.0s have the best paint so thats why i got it and am upgrading what components i dont like. plus i got a killer deal so i couldnt say no

Last edited by M_FactorX19; 11-16-10 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-16-10, 06:13 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by M_FactorX19
you have the Roubaix not the Roubaix ACR then right?
OP is the Fuji Roubaix you are looking at a Roubaix ACR or just the Roubaix?
The one I looked at was just the Roubaix. They had the ACR but it was a little more than the caad and came with 105. With the 15% off it would be a bit less than the caad but with the, in my mind, lessor 105 group. I'm buying a complete bike and not planning to upgrade anything (maybe wheels when I have money) real soon so getting the components I want up front is preferable.
Old 11-16-10, 06:13 PM
sixate

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Menel
That CAAD9 looks wonky as hell, huge head tube, tiny tires, 650's or something?
I'm 6'8", and the frame is a 63cm. I guess it looks weird because of the size, but at my size it needs to be that big. It rides great, and that's all that matters.
Old 11-16-10, 06:19 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sixate
I'm 6'8", and the frame is a 63cm. I guess it looks weird because of the size, but at my size it needs to be that big. It rides great, and that's all that matters.
I was just perusing your caad photos and saw that it weighs 17,10. Mine weights about a half pound more and is a 58. I'm assuming it's probably wheel weight as mine has stock. What wheels did you get?
Old 11-16-10, 06:37 PM
sixate

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerjp
I was just perusing your caad photos and saw that it weighs 17,10. Mine weights about a half pound more and is a 58. I'm assuming it's probably wheel weight as mine has stock. What wheels did you get?
I have a set of Easton Circuit's on it. They weighed 1630 grams when I bought them. I took all the stickers off, and dropped another 44 grams. At my size I don't feel comfortable going any lighter than that.
Old 11-16-10, 06:43 PM
Menel

Bikes: Helix, HonkyTonk, NailTrail

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The one I looked at was just the Roubaix. They had the ACR but it was a little more than the caad and came with 105. With the 15% off it would be a bit less than the caad but with the, in my mind, lessor 105 group. I'm buying a complete bike and not planning to upgrade anything (maybe wheels when I have money) real soon so getting the components I want up front is preferable.
In 2008/2009:
The Fuji Roubaix was the Road/Race Alu frame that got their best Al tubing paired with carbon Fork&Seatstays.

In 2010:
The Fuji Roubaix got downgraded, was given lesser components, lost the rear carbon seatstay, full Al at this point. Might have even used lower quality tubes, and been more of a sport geometry, but not sure.

Fuji Roubaix ACR became the premiere road/race frame for this year. Using their best tubes, carbon fork/seatstays. Also upgraded to BB30.

Now for 2011:
Fuji Roubaix is the only option left, ACR off the table, it's full aluminum only. I have no clue about the specs of tubes or geometry.
Old 11-16-10, 07:15 PM
M_FactorX19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok in that case I would just the caad then I think the above post is right about the geometry no bb30 and no carbon etc.
I agree the force is better than 105, even though 105 is still good stuff, although u can always upgrade components but not the frame (well u can but then its a new bike) the ACR 1.0 has SRAM however. I got the 3.0 because I liked the frame more and plan to get a new group later. If u could get the Roubaix ACR for $400 cheaper especially the 1.0 w/SRAM like I thought u were saying to me that would be a no brainer. Since its just the Roubaix get the CAAD or get the ACR 2.0 w/105 and sell the group and buy a Force group.