Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Got creamed by a car today.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Got creamed by a car today.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-10, 08:48 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by akohekohe
This raises an interesting issue that I am not sure what the right answer is and consequently am not sure what I should do if I'm in an accident where someone else is at fault (or what to advise others to do). I was in an accident with my bicycle where I hit a pothole. When I went to the ER they asked me a whole bunch of times if I was hit and I kept having to insist that no, I wasn't. They seemed real disappointed at this and at first I couldn't figure out why they cared if they got paid by a driver's insurance or by my health insurance company. The best I can figure is that my health insurance company has a negotiated rate with them that is considerably less than what they can charge the driver's insurance company or me personally for that matter. So what happens if you tell the hospital you were hit by a car but it is subsequently determined that you were at fault or for some other reason the driver's insurance company won't pay (or maybe it was an uninsured driver). Can you be stuck with the bill in that case? I'm guessing the answer is yes and if so then aren't you way better off telling the ER people you simply crashed and let them bill your health insurance, at least until you know the driver's insurance will be good for it? I'm asking this because I don't know the answer but it would be good to know before hand just in case. It sounds like making the wrong decision at the ER could potentially be very costly.
Hawaii no fault, means driver's insurance pays full price for pedestrian or cyclist medical cost regardless of who was at fault for the collision.

At fault person gets to pay for property damages.
Old 12-15-10, 08:53 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by That Linux Guy
After resting for a day, I am noticing things wrong that I didn't feel yesterday. Right shoulder, left hip... Hopefully nothing else will come up. I just wish the swelling in my face would go down. I'll be calling the lawyer soon and making a couple more Dr's appts. Yay! Thank you all for your warm wishes.
Get good pictures of that face NOW.
Old 12-15-10, 08:59 PM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
May you heal well, and soon.
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
Old 12-15-10, 09:13 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1640 Post(s)
Liked 2,746 Times in 1,275 Posts
Any good claims adjuster will pay all documented bills (Bike/Medical) and probably toss another 5-10k in lost wage/time/pain. Don't sign off until you feel all the medical is resolved. Heal well brother.
Old 12-15-10, 09:23 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Get good pictures of that face NOW.
Yup; you might even want to go find a place that does passport photos so there's less chance anyone will claim they were altered, and get one done every week until things are back to normal.
Old 12-15-10, 10:08 PM
aley
Goathead Magnet

Bikes: Surly LHT, Cannondale Caffeine F3

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 1 Post
As for my accident, I was in the cross-walk.
Riding on the street, positioned in the left tire track of the rightmost lane from which it's legal to go straight, makes you less vulnerable to a right hook at an intersection like this. It isn't absolute proof against boneheads like the Infiniti driver who hit you, but it helps. If he'd seen you, he almost certainly wouldn't have hit you - the trick is to be where drivers are going to be looking for traffic.

Heal fast, and get back on your bike! You're doing all the right things to get whole again.
Old 12-16-10, 08:58 PM
That Linux Guy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The lawyer I'm working with was thrilled that I had taken a good close shot of my face just two days before my accident. (I had shaved for the first time in a good while and was showing a friend what I look like minus the scruff). She had a nice pointNshoot with an aftermarket lens for taking additional pics of my face, thumb, bruises and scrapes, as well as the bike itself.

Someone at work today mentioned this and I've been thinking about it ever since: They pointed out to me that I'm usually in the lane or a bike lane, in much riskier situations but the time I get hit by a car is when I'm ideally at my safest. They're kinda right too. I accept the risk of riding in the road and haven't had much of a problem with other cars since we cyclists know to drive like we're invisible and assume everyone's out to hit us. However, in the cross walk with the right away is when you'd think you'd be the safest and let your guard down a little. In this case, I didn't see him coming so I'd still have been hit, guard up or not, but it still weighs on my mind. I'm definitely planning on lighting my bike up a bit more and wearing more reflective clothing.

Thank you all again for the get-wells. I need them but I'm not doing too bad really. I'm hoping to be back on the road in a couple weeks. Until then, I've got a good friend to carpool with.
Old 12-16-10, 10:49 PM
rex_kramer
Acts 2:38

Bikes: '10 Marin Lucas Valley, '13 Scott Speedster 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man oh man...

So sorry to read about your accident. Get well and heal up. God bless and good luck with all of the legal hooey.
Old 12-17-10, 12:36 AM
funrover 

Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hope you heal fast!
Old 12-17-10, 02:18 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Nothing wrong with being more visible That Linux Guy. Just remember it was an accident that may or may not have been preventable. From your description it sounds like the other guy was at fault and should take responsibility.

Just keep documentation and pictures, and hopefully things go smoothly. Heal up quickly.
Old 12-17-10, 02:39 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
However, I've illustrated my point that I don't feel the relatively small amount of pain I've experienced is worth a butt-load of money.
Don't worry; you won't be getting a butt-load of money. Hopefully you'll get enough to cover your bike, medical bills, lost wages, and such, after paying the IRS and your lawyer.

You should think about asking a moderator to remove this thread. Medical care is expensive, insurance companies don't really like paying claims out, and people keep speculate about insurance agents scouring the web looking for something to take out of context to cast doubt on a bad situation.
Old 12-19-10, 01:55 PM
VeloBusDriver

Bikes: Brompton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
like that dumbass who spilled hot coffee on herself and got a fat settlement...
You mean the 76 year old woman who received 3rd degree burns over 16% of her body, including her genitals, because McDonalds heated their coffee to 183 degrees to slow down consumption of coffee and thus require fewer refills? That dumbass? (For the record, she only wanted $20,000 to pay for her medical bills. McDonalds refused to settle.)

Now I'm lost on what to do. Do I call a lawyer?
Yes, call a lawyer. Because, unfortunately, society assumes that because you were riding a bicycle you aren't worth protecting and probably did something to cause the crash anyway.
Old 12-21-10, 08:39 AM
andrelam

Bikes: Gerry Fisher Nirvana, LeMond Buenos Aires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I suspect andrelam's mistaken about this, I have no proof of NY insurance specifics but I do know how insurance works in general. Your health insurance company will almost certainly cover the cost initially, and then if they think they can recover from someone else like an at-fault driver's insurance they'll go after them. They'll also attach a claim to any personal injury lawsuit you file so if your insurance company pays your hospital bill and you sue the driver, your insurance company will collect from your settlement before you get your cash. I can't imagine a scenario where your health insurance would deny you emergency room coverage because the accident wasn't your fault.
When I was in my accident I was extremely luck that the insurance agent for the driver that hit me was enlightened and realized that nit was better to help me get through this quickly and fairly than to drag things out. He sent me a one page note from NY State that clearly showed what I was and was not entitled to. Since I had no serious long term injuries everything was very clear cut. The agent is the one that warned me that my health insurance would not cover me. I had gone to the ER and given my regular insurance. The problem is not the intitial billing, but the after affect. Once the health insurance company figures out there was an accident they will refuse to pay. With one of my friends he needed to get a lawyer to send a letter to the hopsital informing them that they WOULD get paid eventually, but that the legal responsibilities need to be figured out fully before they would receive payments. In that case it was multi car accident and took nearly a year to figure out. What made my life so much better it that the agent gave me the case number and billing information so that I could call the hospital BEFORE the bills were sent out and get everything billed directly to his insurance. That way I never had to get the bills, and then send them in... lots of paperwork.

In the case of the PO in this situation, teeth and a nose were broken... in NY state that puts you outside of the restrictions, the main difference is that you can actually get reimbursements for pain and suffering, with minor injuries you can not get that (right fully so... that is why that restriction is on minor injuries where there are no broken bones and no long term injuries).

It helps to know what your right are in your state and these things can vary greatly from state to state.

Best of luck with your healing,
André
Old 12-21-10, 09:24 AM
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VeloBusDriver
You mean the 76 year old woman who received 3rd degree burns over 16% of her body, including her genitals, because McDonalds heated their coffee to 183 degrees to slow down consumption of coffee and thus require fewer refills? That dumbass? (For the record, she only wanted $20,000 to pay for her medical bills. McDonalds refused to settle.)
I stand corrected on the McDonalds Hot Coffee issue. Honestly, I was regurgitating the info I've heard, much like we often do.
The OP is just repeating a common misinterpretation of the case. You didn't read the thread. I'd say you're equal.

Anyway, the OP is nowhere near in the same situation as the McDonalds case, which involved a multi-billion dollar corporation callously deciding that the miniscule payouts from the +700 personal injury cases cost less than the price of the refills of coffee served at lower temps (anyone else see echoes of Fight Club?).

The motorist was found at fault, has insurance, and the OP has a lawyer. He'll be fine. Heal up quick, Linux Guy, and don't feel too bad about the (relative to the insurance provider's yearly profits) miniscule payout that you'll receive for "pain and suffering".
Old 12-21-10, 10:12 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
thanks for sharing. document your injuries and have them itemized by a medical provider
Old 12-21-10, 10:44 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1640 Post(s)
Liked 2,746 Times in 1,275 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Don't worry; you won't be getting a butt-load of money. Hopefully you'll get enough to cover your bike, medical bills, lost wages, and such, after paying the IRS and your lawyer.

You should think about asking a moderator to remove this thread. Medical care is expensive, insurance companies don't really like paying claims out, and people keep speculate about insurance agents scouring the web looking for something to take out of context to cast doubt on a bad situation.
Why would you pay the IRS?