Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Why SS Cross bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-10, 03:05 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 532 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3281 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,487 Posts
Originally Posted by jfmckenna
I'd still wager a bet that the winners of the race were on a geared bike. SS is fun no doubt but to answer the OP's question in regards to a mixed field especially the Pro/1/2 field where everyone is a strong and or talented rider then the geared bike will have a greater advantage. I see people on SS bikes do well in the lower cats but that is just because they are a Pro/1 rider working through the ranks.
Yeah, I believe this. Ryan Trebon has come out to a few of our local races and stomped everybody in the A race with a singlespeed, but I suspect that's because he's Ryan Trebon and they aren't.
Old 12-17-10, 11:55 PM
erichkopp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the simplicity of it is a big draw for people who are otherwise daunted by the complexity of everything involved to race on the road. For whatever reason, I just enjoy it more.
Old 12-21-10, 03:02 PM
captnfantastic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did quite a few races this year. Most races I did both a geared and a SS race. I just took a 3 inch piece of derailleur cable and put it in backwards and chose a gear for the SS races. Since my SS races were usually first and twenty minutes later was my geared race after a while I just kept the SS setup for the geared race instead of changing it up in between. I saw the course on the SS race and adjusted my gear accordingly. I noticed with the SS setup I didn't miss the gears after a few races. Secondly, the SS racers were usually a more relaxed crowd. Field sizes were smaller and they were all around more fun.

That being said I was not in contention in either races and usually finished in the middle somewhere.

Super muddy races like santa cross this year saw a bunch of popped derailleurs and the true SS setups had an advantage as the deep mud never allowed for the speeds to get very high.
Old 12-21-10, 04:34 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Ftw:

OK, so it's not singlespeed. It was. Or at least the frame was built for it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Iro2.jpg (97.8 KB, 704 views)
Iro1.jpg (96.8 KB, 430 views)
Iro4.jpg (101.4 KB, 427 views)
Old 12-21-10, 07:21 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bike. Not much of a racer though...
Old 12-23-10, 04:00 PM
holychipotle

Bikes: Ridley X-fire (Chris King tubies/Rival), Specialized Tarmac (Zipps/Dura-ace)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Louisville UCI Race

Separate Single Speed Race. It is awesome, I would do it if I had one.
Old 12-27-10, 04:05 PM
Lithuania
Oh The Huge Manatee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i race both SS and geared and for me I find the SS bike to be much better for getting into shape and learning how to really drive your bike. Since one of the worst features of riding single is having to get back up to speed after losing speed or coming to a stop you end up doing whatever you can to not lose speed which in turn made me a much better bike handler. I also find when you are having a bad race and you are on the single its easier to finish strongly because you dont really have a choice where as on the geared bike you can just shift down to relieve the pain.

With all that said when I am serious about a race or in top form i almost always take the geared bike