Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

newbie..... with a super cute bianchi. :)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

newbie..... with a super cute bianchi. :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-11, 11:26 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 1,709 Posts
I don't know why, but I'm really liking that all-purple look. When I first saw this thread, I was thinking black bar tape, black saddle, skinwall tires and black brake cables. But now, I'm not so sure. Looks great the way it is.

By the way, from the looks of it, your helmet is a Giro Pneumo - they cost about $140 new back in the day, so free is definitely good.

Don't forget to post a pic of you with your Bianchi on the "Who Exactly Are Bike Forums Members?" thread!

DD
Old 01-26-11, 11:34 PM
jecksida

Bikes: 89 Bianchi Sport SX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok, cool..... i will keep an eye out for shimano 105 levers. thanks! i know the ones i posted didn't have hoods.... i just didn't really see a set that i want yet. still looking....

yeah, my ex gave me that helmet a while back, since he didn't use it.... he said it was a good one so, that's why i'm keeping it.

the all-purple is kind of growing on me, in it's own way...... but i know i will change it eventually. i just put a vintage selle san marco seat on it..... i picked one up for $30 a while back.... teal suede.... and i have a feeling it's going to be more comfortable than the velo seat.... so i'm going to try it out since i already have it anyway.....
Old 01-26-11, 11:37 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 1,709 Posts
^ Smart woman - when it comes to saddles, comfort is the bottom line (no pun intended).

DD
Old 01-27-11, 12:02 PM
jecksida

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok, i've got 2 more aero levers i am considering.........

opinions please???

campagnolo athena aero levers, NOS, see below. i really like the classic look of these, i think they are from ~1990.....

Orion Aero Levers..... NOS... expensive, but i like these a LOT.... i don't know anything about them, never heard of them.

i'm ok with buying expensive parts, like maybe these levers that i posted.... if they are GOOOD parts.... i just want to make sure they are quality.... so let me know what you think of them!

i am not necessarily worried about spending too much on the bike.... since i already have... and for right now, it's just not about the money...... and i know it sounds emotional or weird to some people.... but this is one of the only things that makes me happy right now. and...so, i just want to build this bike in whatever way i want, and whatever feels right to me.... i guess that's just something i need right now. and i will never tell anyone how much i end up spending on this bike, because i am sure no one would really understand anyway. it's crazy! but i have to do it, for me.
Old 01-27-11, 12:09 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13023 Post(s)
Liked 7,950 Times in 4,226 Posts
I'd go with the Athenas.

I'm not sure how I feel about plastic brake levers like those Modolos. They sure do look interesting, though.
Old 01-27-11, 12:10 PM
triplebutted

Bikes: Lemond, Gios, Fuji, Trek, too many to write

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have small hands and I love the way brifters feel cause of the long lever and close to the bar itself. The only thing that was close to that was the old 600 Aeros. But I've seen the new Sram 500 aero levers that are the same exact as brifters but without the shifter part.
Old 01-27-11, 12:12 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
when it comes to saddles, comfort is the bottom line (no pun intended).
Coincidental or not, I love terrible puns.
Originally Posted by jecksida
i will never tell anyone how much i end up spending on this bike, because i am sure no one would really understand anyway. it's crazy! but i have to do it, for me.
Oh don't worry. This place is like AA for bike people. I'm sure every one of us has spent too much on a bike at some point, some of us way too much, and usually one of our first ones. It's all about what makes you happy. That's what hobbies should be about. Now the model train guys, those I don't get. $1,000s and 1000s of hours of work for something that goes in circles around fake trees and mountains in your basement? But hey, as long as it makes them happy, good for them.
Old 01-27-11, 12:23 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
For comfort and performance, I second the suggestion of Shimano SLR levers:

https://the-bici.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=23

These are probably just as good, because they are spring loaded, and they are all white! Careful, though, the levers will scratch easily:

https://the-bici.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=26

I've got a set of 105 SLR levers with white hoods. Hoods need some clean up (white gets dirty fast) and the levers have a few scratches, but not bad overall. PM me if interested.
Old 01-27-11, 12:26 PM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I've got Athena levers on my RRA and like them, so if you can get them for a decent price, go for it. If the Athenas aren't a one-off single set up for sale, PM me with the info as I could use a backup set...
Old 01-27-11, 12:35 PM
3speed

Originally Posted by triplebutted
I have small hands and I love the way brifters feel cause of the long lever and close to the bar itself. The only thing that was close to that was the old 600 Aeros. But I've seen the new Sram 500 aero levers that are the same exact as brifters but without the shifter part.
Compact levers offered by some companies are great for that too. I picked up some Cane Creek SRC-5C levers simply because it was a Great price on them still in the box. I don't even have particularly small hands, and can use regular levers fine, but I think I'll go with compact from now on when it's an option in the levers I want. There's just no sense in reaching farther than you have to and it feels a little better to have the lever right there close to where your hand is at rest.

Jecksida, if you don't mind using newer levers, I would say at least look at the SRC-5C by Cane Creek. I've never used them so I could be wrong, but to me those Orions don't look like they'd be terribly effective/easy to pull from the top of the hoods.

Last edited by 3speed; 01-27-11 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-27-11, 12:44 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Ooooh, those white levers are so tempting. I need some to go with my white calipers shown below.

Here's a pic of 1051 vs 1052 levers on the same bar, 1051 in the foreground. 1052s have the control area much closer to the drops. Braking from the drops on 1052s is a whole other world.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 01-27-11 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-27-11, 12:59 PM
3speed

Oh Gosh, Lester, clean those hoods!
Old 01-27-11, 01:06 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Maybe come springtime. I'm always wearing gloves these days, so not gonna worry about it.

The dirt in the pic that bugs me most is on my pretty white brakes.
Old 01-27-11, 02:38 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
+1 on the Athenas.
+1 on the Shimano SLR levers.
-10 for those Modolo Orions. Those appear to be gray versions of the black Modolo Kronos aero levers. They look all Star Trek Klingon cool, but they are lousy performing levers mechanically. Sorry.
Old 01-27-11, 03:18 PM
jecksida

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ahhhhhh, the modolos are lousy performing expensive brakes?? that is such a bummer. oh well. i still like the campy athena brakes, and they are a LOT cheaper.....
Old 01-27-11, 03:28 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
Oh don't worry. This place is like AA for bike people. I'm sure every one of us has spent too much on a bike at some point, some of us way too much, and usually one of our first ones.
I think you got a fair deal on a particular Club Fuji I'm thinking about. Delivered at that...sheesh
Old 01-27-11, 03:34 PM
Oregon Southpaw
Larger Chainring

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn Circuit. Bike-Boom-Puegeot. First "real bike" Trek 720 Hybrid in gross disrepair.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Keep it all pink. So sweet. So Portland.

Also keep it locked up, that kind of bike would be more likely stolen than a newer crabon-type bike in certain parts of pdx.
Old 01-27-11, 05:59 PM
jecksida

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i will keep it locked up for sure...... actually, i am terrified at the idea of leaving it anywhere, even locked up. so far i havent really had a chance to ride it.... and if i do, i plan to only take it inside with me... like my work is 2 miles away, so i can bring it inside.... or otherwise just riding for fun, and taking it back home when i'm done.....

i guess a good lock will be safe enough, but i still hate the idea of leaving it out....
Old 01-27-11, 06:08 PM
3speed

Originally Posted by khatfull
I think you got a fair deal on a particular Club Fuji I'm thinking about. Delivered at that...sheesh
Haha, I didn't say anything about the Fuji. Wait, is there something I should know about the Fuji? My regret of that bike is actually that it's too nice. I found myself not riding it out of fear of something happening after I chipped the paint on the chain stay. And I can't put it in a bike rack if I stop somewhere.
Old 01-27-11, 07:20 PM
snarkypup

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Sports: The Root Beer Bomber

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you buy tires, remember that the marked width is not necessarily the actual width. I bought Panaracer Pasellas marked as 28s for my Panasonic when the bike was new to me. The narrow tires that were on there scared me to death. Put the wider ones on, and they wouldn't fit inside the danged calipers. Let's just say that if they were actually 28s, I'll eat them. Now I have 23mm CSTs on there, and they are fine. Just be careful as you go up in size to make sure they will actually fit your bike! And frankly, the narrow tires just take some getting used to, and you'll be fine. Now I love my 23mm tires. They don't bother me at all.
Old 01-27-11, 10:42 PM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Athenas are nice, but the hoods of Shimano aero levers generally feel better on the hands.
Old 01-28-11, 08:47 AM
OzarkKing

Bikes: 1987 Fuji Titanium, 1983 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1977 Panasonic Touring Deluxe, 1994 Mountain Cycle San Andreas

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
After seeing your bike, I immediately began looking for one for a friend who is in the market for a bike and her favorite color is purple...I stumbled onto this tragedy which confirms that your bike is quite desirable (although note the unfortunate prior owner locked up only the back tire):
https://bikesandthecity.blogspot.com/...nchi-eros.html
Remember: protection is prevention and bikes/babies can be expensive.
Old 01-28-11, 10:24 AM
jecksida

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ahhhhhhh....so sad!!!! i feel like the more i invest MYSELF in this bike (not even money.... just love).... the more likely it is to be desirable.... like it has some blinking sign on it that says STEAL ME...... i hate the idea of leaving it anywhere, even locked up!!!
and the funny thing is, my bike is actually an entry-level bianchi..... it really isn't necessarily SPECIAL.... but maybe somewhat rare, especially in such a small size (48cm). it is hard to find a bike being so short, apparently!
however, i think you can find one for your friend! i don't know the name of this color, but it's definitely PURPLE (not pink ).... and its a bianchi sport sx. good luck in searching for one! it took me several months, but i managed to find it. i used google, and would search "bianchi sport sx craigslist" in 2-3 days, and i would set the search to find items posted within the last week.... so it was locating craigslist adds all over the US.... i bought mine from NY and had it shipped to me.
Old 01-28-11, 10:39 AM
jecksida

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
also, thanks for the info on the tire sizes, snarky.... i really like how these narrow tires look, so i am going to ride on them for a while and see how it goes. if it's all i know, it probably won't bother me anyway.... they are 23..... if i go up a size, it would probably just be 25.