Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

old sugino square taper bb replacement?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-11, 03:08 AM
dnomel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a pitted square taper "sugino mw 68" 114mm long asymmetric spindle (+3mm on the drive side) with a super mighty crank. I was thinking of trying a cheap shimano cartridge unit as a replacement and was wondering if anyone had any advice on which length might be close. I noticed that a cheaper un26? (113, 117.5mm) seems to come in different likely lengths than the un54? (115, 118mm) and don't know if either are symmetric or not. The inner chainring is close enough to the chainstay that I'm worried about getting the shorter lengths if they are symmetric, but also don't want to put things out of balance or widen any more than necessary.

I tried to search about iso and jis but only got more confused, at least regarding this particular spindle and crank. I'm assuming jis (shimano) spindle is ok. Even if the cranks are more like iso, my understanding is that they would just sit a little farther out on a jis spindle, so I'm mainly wondering about the asymmetric measurement.

Thanks for any advice or experience. I'm not looking to spend much and was also wondering about trying to grind and polish out the pits in the spindle races.
Old 01-31-11, 07:23 AM
rogerstg
Fred-ish

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The BBs you're looking at are symmetrical so you'll need to get a 117mm as an equivalent unit. The 117.5 or 118 should work out fine for you.
Old 01-31-11, 04:02 PM
mixtemaniac

Bikes: 1981 Sekai 1500 Mixte, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour Mixte, 1984 Peugeot Mixte, 1975 Gitane Grand Sport Deluxe Mixte, Motobecane Nomade II Mixte, 2001 Trek 520, 1974 Peugeot UO-18 Mixte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dnomel
I have a pitted square taper "sugino mw 68" 114mm long asymmetric spindle (+3mm on the drive side) with a super mighty crank. I was thinking of trying a cheap shimano cartridge unit as a replacement and was wondering if anyone had any advice on which length might be close. I noticed that a cheaper un26? (113, 117.5mm) seems to come in different likely lengths than the un54? (115, 118mm) and don't know if either are symmetric or not. The inner chainring is close enough to the chainstay that I'm worried about getting the shorter lengths if they are symmetric, but also don't want to put things out of balance or widen any more than necessary.

I tried to search about iso and jis but only got more confused, at least regarding this particular spindle and crank. I'm assuming jis (shimano) spindle is ok. Even if the cranks are more like iso, my understanding is that they would just sit a little farther out on a jis spindle, so I'm mainly wondering about the asymmetric measurement.

Thanks for any advice or experience. I'm not looking to spend much and was also wondering about trying to grind and polish out the pits in the spindle races.
The symmetrical cartridge ones will work fine, but get a bit longer like rogerstg pointed out. 117 or 118 should be a-ok. Or you can try tracking down a spindle at your local bike co-op or ebay. If the cups are still in good shape.

Definitely do not try to grind or polish out the pits. The bearings need to ride on a specific part of the spindle race and you will never get it smooth and even enough by hand. Likely, you'll also throw off how far the spindle sticks out of the cups.
Old 02-01-11, 12:15 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5790 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
If you can't find, or prefer not to use a cartridge BB, I can probably match it exactly for you in as SR loose cup and spindle BB of similar vintage. They're new and the cost is pretty low.

Let me know if your interested. I'd need all three spindle measurements, left to bearing lip, center, and right. I'll confirm stock and quote.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-02-11, 01:56 AM
dnomel

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
If you can't find, or prefer not to use a cartridge BB, I can probably match it exactly for you in as SR loose cup and spindle BB of similar vintage. They're new and the cost is pretty low.

Let me know if your interested. I'd need all three spindle measurements, left to bearing lip, center, and right. I'll confirm stock and quote.
Thanks, I'm used to and do like the old style bb's, but at this point I'm curious about the shimano cartridges and will probably give that a try as I have other bikes it may work on if it doesn't fit this setup. If the spacing doesn't work out it's good to know you may have some that you could measure.
Old 02-11-20, 06:29 AM
Narks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Token makes an assymetric cartridge bottom bracket thats about 115mm long, with ISO tapers. Its made for Campy Triple. This works well with my 1st generation Superbe cranks, which are essentially re-badged Sugino Mightys
Old 02-11-20, 07:36 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Zombie 9 yr old thread, though I do miss FBinNY but Andrew has ably filled his shoes.
FWIW dnomel lasted posted 6 yrs ago.
Old 02-11-20, 08:39 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Wow, didn't realize that FBinNY had his last post in March of last year.
Old 02-12-20, 03:52 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
But like a lot of zombie threads, there's a nugget here - that Token has available (or had) a 115 mm offset bb intended for Campagnolo triples. One or two other threads here are looking at at how to best install older Racing Triple chainsets. This is one of the ways - to have a second source for the original Campagnolo BB cartridge.