Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today? 2011 Edition.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today? 2011 Edition.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-11, 07:51 AM
Fizzaly
Stealing Spokes since 82'

Bikes: The always reliable kuwie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
41f Very warm back in shorts, I guess winter isn't even pretending anymore hit the low 60's over the weekend. Forecast shows snow later this week, ya right
Old 02-14-11, 07:53 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
-7C with a 13km/h head wind. The roads were clear down to the pavement, even the curb lane for several stretches. A relatively quick 52 minute commute with an average speed of 17.7km/h. I wasn't paying attention while blowing my nose and almost rode into a huge ice covered puddle. There were alot of those around this morning. A car on the other side of the road unleashed a tsunami at one particularly deep puddle.

I'll take the MUP home, it'll be slower but it will keep me and the bike less wet.
Old 02-14-11, 07:57 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very mild weather this am, upper 30's. The Southerly wind meant no headwind for me which was nice, and the light keeps creeping back into the morning. All around great ride.
Old 02-14-11, 08:10 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Posting here for only the third time this year. Hopefully all that icy stuff is behind us and we can get some normal Texas weather again. High 40s this morning; the merino wool jersey I got for Christmas under a windbreaker was just perfect. First commute since converting the handlebars to drops. Still a few adjustments to make but all in all an improvement.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 02-14-11, 08:13 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Tortuous commute for me this morning, even though the temps were relatively warm (mid 40s F). My legs were very tired after riding a lot of miles last week, including 60 on Sunday. Making matters worse was the wind, as it was howling out of the SW -- so I was bucking headwinds almost the entire way to work. It's supposed to be even windier this afternoon with gusts over 35 mph, but I'll have tailwinds at least part of the way.
Old 02-14-11, 09:01 AM
Rothaí

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z4

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks !

Originally Posted by FunkyStickman
Good deal! Glad to see you back on the bike.

My new upright riding position is a Godsend....No hand pain or numbness.
How much more upright are you ? I have a fairly low down profile on the bike (I go against the prevailing wind to work), but I find he left side of my left hand goes numb and needs to be "shaken out" now and then. I have a straight bar, was assuming if I had drops it would cure the numbness. Did you have to "come up" by much ?
Old 02-14-11, 09:45 AM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was in the mid to upper 40s F by the time I left home this morning. First ride to work in quite some time in just shorts. It was great! BTW, temps are soaring here. Forecast high is 64 today! That's crazy talk! Cooling down a little mid-week but then back up to 66 by Friday!

Did a little maintenance (new brake pads, cleaned and relubed the chain) and washed the bike this weekend. Amazing what a difference a couple hours putzing around working on the bike can make. Rode nicer, looked better, plus the new brake pads and cleaned up rims made for much better braking.

Probably the last time I do that with this bike, though. The LBS is supposed to be getting my LHT frame today, and I hope to pick it up in the next few days. Not sure when I'll get around to building it up since I need to juggle my schedule with the co-op's open hours, and I'll be out of town this coming weekend. Regardless, probably the last cleanup for my current ride. It's a donor bike for the LHT build.
Old 02-14-11, 10:08 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
it was 43 degrees this morning. commuting in shorts is glorious. the only problems were that the lakefront bike path is a MESS with all of the melting snow and there was a 15mph NW wind coming right at me, gusting up to 25mph.
Old 02-14-11, 10:31 AM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rothaí
How much more upright are you ? I have a fairly low down profile on the bike (I go against the prevailing wind to work), but I find he left side of my left hand goes numb and needs to be "shaken out" now and then. I have a straight bar, was assuming if I had drops it would cure the numbness. Did you have to "come up" by much ?
This bike is a size too small for me, and I was okay with being a little bent over, but as you noticed, lack of hand positions tend to make hands go numb if there's much weight on them. I bought a new rigid fork, and 100mm worth of spacers, figuring if it was too high, I could cut the fork down.

Here's the bike before: the bar is about 1" below the saddle

And after. You can see with the trekking bars, the part you normally ride on isn't that much higher, and I don't really use the front of them. The good thing about trekking bars is that you can adjust the height a little by just rotating the bars. I added 4" of spacers, so now it's about 2-3" above the saddle.
Old 02-14-11, 11:37 AM
jdgesus 
sɹɐʇsɟoןןnɟsʇıbɟɯo

Bikes: fixed gear recumbent trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im officially sick of the rain.

next step is recumbent.

my bikes | bike blog | beer blog | work 1 | work 2
Old 02-14-11, 11:50 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
45F and rainy, extra cargo w/ kids' v-day paraphernalia for school
Old 02-14-11, 11:59 AM
Rothaí

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FunkyStickman

And after. You can see with the trekking bars, the part you normally ride on isn't that much higher, and I don't really use the front of them. The good thing about trekking bars is that you can adjust the height a little by just rotating the bars. I added 4" of spacers, so now it's about 2-3" above the saddle.
Your 'before' bar height looks much higher than mine...I don't think I could handle the wind like that.....I'm going to try drops ! As you say, it's the weight on the hands on a straight bar that's my problem. Thanks for the response and the photos !
Old 02-14-11, 01:49 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back on the topic... Upper 40s (F) and sunny. You gotta love NYC weather, I was freezing my a** off only three days ago. Right now it's 57F and sunny outside! I can't wait for the ride home, the day is also longer so if I sneak out 20 mins earlier it'd be lovely!
Old 02-14-11, 01:51 PM
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
29f, and a huge change from yesterday's 66f. They're calling for a high of 55f today, so the ride home should be more pleasant.
Old 02-14-11, 04:21 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
The ride home today was really fast and fun. +1C with a 30km/h tailwind. I got up to speeds I haven't seen since before the snow set in. 35km/h maximum speed on the road heading toward the park.

I figured once I got on the MUP I'd slow right down, nope. Despite looking bumpy I was able to go quite fast on the snow, seeing my speedo go over 30km/h several times. There were many spots where my tires punched through the snow to the pavement below. 1 or 2 degrees warmer and I think it would have been a very different ride.

The forecast has snow for mid-week, so it will be back to riding slower.
Old 02-14-11, 04:35 PM
JPprivate
Very, very Senior Member

Bikes: 2012 Surly Troll, 1999 Hardtail MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ran into a coyote, otherwise uneventful.
Old 02-14-11, 04:41 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by JPprivate
ran into a coyote, otherwise uneventful.
where do you ride in chicago? are you in the city? where did you see the coyote? was it inside a quizno's downtown? just be careful about the roving mountain lions in roscoe village.
Old 02-14-11, 05:56 PM
bengreen79
Allez means go.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It was cold, damp, windy and got dark too soon. But it was damn nice to be back on the bike after 2 1/2 months of winter hibernation!
Old 02-14-11, 06:19 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Not really excited to head out into the downpour
Old 02-14-11, 06:20 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Originally Posted by Steely Dan
where do you ride in chicago? are you in the city? where did you see the coyote? was it inside a quizno's downtown? just be careful about the roving mountain lions in roscoe village.
We actually have coyotes and cougars but I don't see the predators a fraction as much as the prey (deer and bunnies). But I do see them.
Old 02-14-11, 06:55 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,107 Posts
Picked up my traditional dozen pink roses and two mylar balloons on the way home. The roses snuggled into my pannier nicely but the balloons were flopping around quite a bit.
Old 02-14-11, 07:59 PM
BA Commuter
Comfortably Numb!

Bikes: Jamis Commuter 3.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not a good day! I came out a little early with plans to get home to cook a nice meal for me and my sweetheart and some <insert bad name> ****** nozzle stole my seat and seat post! My beloved Brooks B-17 Standard was gone!

I have been commuting to work for 5 years and work in a nice area. In fact, the bike rack is in a busy area and where the smokers take breaks from time to time. I reported it to security, but seriously doubt it will get resolved. However, there's a slight chance that a security camera will have the jack wagon on camera!

I had a couple of coworkers offer me a ride home. I accepted and threw the bike in the back of their SUV.

Thats' just so wrong!
Old 02-15-11, 01:09 AM
Rothaí

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Flew in on a tailwind !! (You have to love that completely false sensation of strength....it's only when you turn and cycle into the wind that the truth hits you !). With any luck it'll die down for the trip home.
Old 02-15-11, 06:37 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crazy weather.... 55F on the way home yesterday, 26F this morning.
Old 02-15-11, 07:23 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
blasted headwind!!!

Otherwise not a bad ride in, though it was gonna be cold so I overbundled. There was a fire somewhere downtown in DC, smelled all sorts of smoke coming down the Mall.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.