Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hi end frameset descriptions/comedy gold

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hi end frameset descriptions/comedy gold

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-11, 02:09 PM
viros20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
adding another

Pinarello Dogma 60.1 60HM1K

Dogma 60.1 is the beginning of a new generation of frames that will revolutionize the concept of racing bicycles. Dogma 60.1 is the first completely asymmetric racing frame. The parts on the right side have different shapes and sections than the parts on the left. This is a true innovation in the cycling world and the point of no return for fans of extreme performance.

The frame was developed starting from the highly successful Prince, Best Racing Bike of the World (USA) for 2008 and 2009 and Bike of the Year in Italy for 2008 and 2009. The fork, the rear and the basic shapes are derived from this very fortunate frame but with the application of new, incredible technologies: the completely asymmetric design, the EPS Wrinkle Free System construction process and the material used – the exclusive 60HM1K carbon by Torayca® with Nanoalloy™ that prevents sudden breakage. Last but not least is the exclusive Diamond finish, the worthy topping to an extraordinary project called Dogma 60.1.
Old 02-18-11, 03:47 PM
Mr. Cranky
No, not really.

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, ~2006 Specialized Sequoia, 1999 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwellman
Oh there most certainly is.
You're right, I'm sorry, I forgot where I was.
Old 02-18-11, 04:09 PM
kleinboogie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cranky
I found that video quite interesting and informative. There's no single "best" way to do things.
I did to. I found it a little funny how they fuzzy up their technology to fit into the perception of the day. Like the Cervelo guy saying "It's pretty much a monocoque design but with some little intelligence on how we're going to piece that together." Gold.
Old 02-19-11, 07:44 PM
alanknm

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by viros20
these are all real descriptions from the manufactures found online. I found them pretty funny, except Treks who need to step it up a bit.

Madone 6.9 SSL WSD

Lighter, faster, better. That was Trek's goal in creating their best-of-the-best Madone 6.9 SSL WSD. Handmade from OCLV2 SSL carbon, the frame is brutally efficient and amazingly light. Connecting the gorgeous frame to the fork is an E2 tapered head tube for scalpel-like steering. Flowing down, the down tube joins with an insanely stout 90mm-wide BB. This gives you the stiffest possible platform to launch attacks. Perhaps the most ingenious piece on this bike is the integrated seatmast that reduces weight and smooths the road underneath you for sublime comfort. A frameset of this level deserves only the best. It's loaded with top-of-the-line Bontrager XXX Lite carbon wheels, a full Dura-Ace gruppo and Race XXX Lite stem and bars that add the finishing touches of class.
It suddenly occurred to me.. this is for a ladies bike !!
Old 02-20-11, 12:18 PM
Atol

Bikes: CAAD9-6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alanknm
It suddenly occurred to me.. this is for a ladies bike !!
Old 02-26-11, 07:25 AM
chado445510
Raising the bar

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Allez Double (sold), 2009 Kestrel RT 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was reading through Bikes Direct, and they had one that made me chuckle. It is for their GTR Carbon Expert. It reads:

With Force Optimized full carbon monocoque construction, plus a host of other hard-racing, gram-shaving features, you can rest assured that that the GTR Expert Carbon can -- and will -- make up for any lapses in your own racing ability. You can thank us from the podium.
Old 02-26-11, 08:12 AM
dwellman
Godbotherer

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR300 (full SRAM Apex) 1996 Cannondale R800 (Full SRAM Rival), 1997 Cannondale R200 (Shimano Tiagra), 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1 (SRAM Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, at least it's somewhat honest. I think the worst offenders are the golf industry though. Bike marketing mumbo jumbo ain't got nothing on them.
Old 02-26-11, 08:19 AM
FrankBattle 
SilentRider

Bikes: Trek Madone SLR 7, Giant TCR Advanced Pro, Trek Domane SLR, Trek Emonda SLR Project One (x2), custom Bingham Built Titanium road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
Fuzzy logic and creative marketing. Simply a way to justify making the 2011 bikes more expensive than the 2010 bikes. You see the same nonsensical hype in golf clubs, tennis/racquetball rackets, car tires, athletic shoes, baseball bats and gloves...
I dunno what this thread is about, but I laughed out loud at this blurb. I actually work with [real] fuzzy logic concepts, and not 5 minutes ago, wrote "fuzzy logic" as a tool in my notebook.

.. carry on
Old 02-26-11, 08:31 AM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Reynolds
"Laterally stiff and vertically compliant"
Old 02-26-11, 09:02 AM
RunningPirate

Bikes: 1970? Dawes Galaxy (cannibalized), 197? Bob Jackson Frankenbike, 1989 Jamis Diablo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mouserue
It's like a monster truck you can pour into your face!

It's got ELECTROLYTES!!! What are electrolytes? I don't know but they're extremly AWESOME. And Brawndo is full of them! And they help plants grow, which is why you should drink BRAWNDO not water because water is from the toliet and I've never seen plants grow out of a toilet....

It's got caffeine. SUPER EXTRA CAFFEINE! And five kinds of sugar, which makes it DELICIOUS, and much better than other energy drinks that are NOT DELICIOUS.

Drinking it will make you wonder why you haven't crushed a human skull, with your BARE HANDS. But you won't have to because you'll already know what Brawndo TASTES, how that would FEEL, which is like having sex with a tractor-trailer in a parking lot!

GRRRRRRRRR!

I just split my pants like the incredible hulk, see that Brawndo will make you need new pants, and while you're out buying new pants you should buy new shoes, because you're going to wear out your shoes from KICKING EVERYONES ASS ALL THE TIME! Brawndo will make you want to KICK EVERYONES ASS ALL THE TIME, which might be good or bad, either way you're going to win, because Brawndo will make you WIN in things you're not supposed to win at! Like YELLING, Brawndo will make you WIN AT YELLING or maybe instead of YELLING something else, like JUMPING, or WAVING, because you'll be able to wave your hands REALLY FAST, and you'll probably become INVISIBLE which doesn't even make any sense.

But if that doesn't happen you'll probably just end up RUNNING SOMEWHERE, which is good if you like RUNNING, but even if you don't run it'll make you WIN AT EXERCISE.
....and don't forget to watch our New Years Eve special, where we'll pay a semi-unknown guy to jump a MOTORCYCLE over a SEA of LAVA and land someplace ELSE!
Old 02-26-11, 09:04 AM
Crappymonkey
Guitar Master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I ever start a bike company I'll hire Rip Glitter to write my copy...

Rip Glitter Guitar Reviews
Old 02-26-11, 09:07 AM
RunningPirate

Bikes: 1970? Dawes Galaxy (cannibalized), 197? Bob Jackson Frankenbike, 1989 Jamis Diablo

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by alanknm
I can't wait until next year when they add photon torpedos, ion cannons and a free Energizer Bunny with every frame.
I should think they would have already have those by now...hell, my Raleigh came with a built-in Illudium Q36 Explosive Space Modulator...
Old 02-26-11, 09:31 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by viros20

Ever dream of riding the best climbing bike to the top of Tourmalet? Sprinting for the green jersey with a bike possessed of unmatched efficiency?

It's possible on a SuperSix.
If you're A. Contador or T. Hushovd. Otherwise, incorrect.
Old 02-26-11, 09:42 AM
Scrockern8r

Bikes: '77 Traveller III '05 Rockhopper.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crappymonkey
If I ever start a bike company I'll hire Rip Glitter to write my copy...

Rip Glitter Guitar Reviews
Awesome!
Old 02-26-11, 12:01 PM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
"Laterally stiff and vertically compliant"
Those are my favorite ones! "Stiff yet compliant" Hard, yet soft...
Old 02-26-11, 12:26 PM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fox Farm
Those are my favorite ones! "Stiff yet compliant" Hard, yet soft...
Crunchy on the outside, but soft and gooey on the inside
Old 02-26-11, 01:35 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
"Host Carbon fabric also help slow the onset of muscle fatigue as well as block electronic interference from power lines and cell phone towers that can hinder your bike's performance" - WTF?

This is from a carbon jersey ad. I had no idea that power lines were hindering my bike's performance. If I buy this jersey I guess it will block all electronic interference and make my bike faster. Awesome! Maybe now I can get rid of my tin foil hat.
Old 02-26-11, 02:28 PM
Nerull

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
"Host Carbon fabric also help slow the onset of muscle fatigue as well as block electronic interference from power lines and cell phone towers that can hinder your bike's performance" - WTF?

This is from a carbon jersey ad. I had no idea that power lines were hindering my bike's performance. If I buy this jersey I guess it will block all electronic interference and make my bike faster. Awesome! Maybe now I can get rid of my tin foil hat.
Carbon fiber is conductive, and can act as a Faraday cage (To the annoyance of many R/C aircraft pilots), so I suspect they're tapping into the tinfoil hat market that sells things like this: https://www.lessemf.com/personal.html
Old 02-26-11, 02:59 PM
bsektzer

Bikes: Pinarello Paris/Ui2, BMC TeamMachine SLR01/Campy Record EPS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some of this stuff is truly hilarious, but there is a darker side that I do find frightening.

Were there not empiric evidence that this sort of hyperbolic, half-baked buffalo biscuits has a positive effect on the bottom line of these companies, the people paid to produce it would soon be marching off to the unemployment office.

Like it or not, P.T. Barnum was right about a few things at least.
Old 02-26-11, 03:11 PM
Daytrip
Medicinal Cyclist

Bikes: 2003 Klein Q Carbon Race; 2009 Giant OCR-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mouserue
It's like a monster truck you can pour into your face!

It's got ELECTROLYTES!!! What are electrolytes? I don't know but they're extremly AWESOME. And Brawndo is full of them! And they help plants grow, which is why you should drink BRAWNDO not water because water is from the toliet and I've never seen plants grow out of a toilet....

It's got caffeine. SUPER EXTRA CAFFEINE! And five kinds of sugar, which makes it DELICIOUS, and much better than other energy drinks that are NOT DELICIOUS.

Drinking it will make you wonder why you haven't crushed a human skull, with your BARE HANDS. But you won't have to because you'll already know what Brawndo TASTES, how that would FEEL, which is like having sex with a tractor-trailer in a parking lot!

GRRRRRRRRR!

I just split my pants like the incredible hulk, see that Brawndo will make you need new pants, and while you're out buying new pants you should buy new shoes, because you're going to wear out your shoes from KICKING EVERYONES ASS ALL THE TIME! Brawndo will make you want to KICK EVERYONES ASS ALL THE TIME, which might be good or bad, either way you're going to win, because Brawndo will make you WIN in things you're not supposed to win at! Like YELLING, Brawndo will make you WIN AT YELLING or maybe instead of YELLING something else, like JUMPING, or WAVING, because you'll be able to wave your hands REALLY FAST, and you'll probably become INVISIBLE which doesn't even make any sense.

But if that doesn't happen you'll probably just end up RUNNING SOMEWHERE, which is good if you like RUNNING, but even if you don't run it'll make you WIN AT EXERCISE.
Copywriter's been sampling the merchandise, apparently. Bad idea for a drug dealer.
Old 02-26-11, 09:09 PM
techlogik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 02-26-11, 09:27 PM
Yangster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love those on my bike...
Built to go... FAST!

short and sweet and it brings out what it gives.