Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

My 1st 2 day ride on the Kingpin (with piccys to keep Sunny happy)

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-11, 10:22 AM
Russcoles11

Bikes: Royal Enfield Revelation, Dawes Kingpin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last weekend the monthly Origami ride was at Windsor. I planned ahead and took some time off work to go to it. I decided to use the opportunity to test my touring build 1975 Kingpin on its 1st 2 day ride and cycle home afterwards to Bristol.
I took the train from Bristol Temple Meads at 7:30am with changes at Reading and Slough to get to Windsor in plenty of time for the ride.

Loaded up Kingpin outside Temple Meads Station

The Weather was perfect and as a result the turnout was huge. large numbers of Brommies and a selection of other folders including 2 Stridas. After gathering and having coffee we headed through Windsor to the Great Park.

The route then took us past Ascot racecourse to a Pub for lunch then back towards the river Thames and then back towards Windsor via Eton. I however left the ride soon after we reached the river as I needed to make it to Reading for my overnight stay.
I headed along the river Thames to Maidenhead then along a combination of Sustrans routes and the A4 getting to Reading just as it was getting dark.

In the morning it was light rain
The weather forecast had said no rain til lunchtime in Reading and by then I had planned to be well outside the area affected by rain. My route was pretty much made up as I went along so I started on NCN4 towards the center of reading then switched to using the roads more through Reading and on to Theale where I rejoined the NCN4 on the Kennet and Avon Canal towpath. The weather by now had cleared up and it was sunny for the rest of the day

I stayed on the towpath to Newbury but was slowed significantly bu a Kayak Race which meant dismounting at every lock to get past the competitors running past carrying their boats.

To make up some time I decided to try a stretch of A4 from Newbury but found the headwind a bit of a pain with the road being so exposed. I did however as a result come accross this morale lifting sign

Old 03-15-11, 10:23 AM
Russcoles11

Bikes: Royal Enfield Revelation, Dawes Kingpin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I went back to the NCN4 which by now was on country lanes. Time was however not on my side so I made a decision to head more to the north so that if I wasn't going to make Bristol, I would at least be able to get to a train station at Swindon or Chippenham. At a little Village called Bedwyn I left the NCN4 and took the NCN403 to Marlbourgh through the Savernake Forrest.

The route through the forrest had some awesome descents but also some nasty ascents. It made a nice change after so much canal towpath though. From Marlbourgh I followed the A4 to Calne with some detours on country lanes at times. I could have detoured to the stone circle at Avebury but as I had been there a few weeks ago I didn't bother. I did however pass a lot of other neolithic sites including Silbury Hill

Silbury hill is a manmade mound the purpose of which is unknown but dates to the neolithic era.

From Silbury Hill to Calne was the best downhill stretch I have ever come across. I wouldn't suggest doing this road in the other direction. Check out the name of the road

From Calne I rejoined the NCN403 for some disused Railway all the way to Chippenham. By now it was getting dark so I abandoned my goal of getting to Bristol and took the train.

Over all, a fantastic Ride. I could probably have packed lighter. I could have set out earlier from Reading but despite this I had fun and the Kingpin performed extremely well.
Old 03-15-11, 10:44 AM
jerrysimon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Nice illustrated journey thanks.

Jerry
Old 03-15-11, 08:32 PM
SunnyFlorida

Bikes: Sun Miami Trike - 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, yes. I like the pics, especially of the mound. Wow!! That little Kingpin of yours really got a work out - and you too.

I'm glad you enjoyed your ride.