Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Zombie Apocalypse

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Zombie Apocalypse

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-11, 03:38 PM
cyclist5
Will ride anywhere

Bikes: 2009 Trek XO-1, 2006 Trek 7000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zombie Apocalypse

So in my speech class I've given several speeches. All revolving around bicycling or zombies. For my final I need to incorporate an aspect of both into some part of the last speech. So, in a zombie apocalypse, would a bike be useful and if so what kind? This is for a grade guys so shout out some great Car-Free Living - Zombie apocalypse edition ideas
Old 04-11-11, 04:25 PM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If there are a lot of zombies, they can block gas stations.
Old 04-11-11, 04:37 PM
Spudd

Bikes: Norco VFR D3, CCM Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zombies aren't that quick, you should be able to outrun them easily on a bike. Bikes FTW!
Old 04-11-11, 04:39 PM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...bie-apocalypse

there is a whole thread on the best bike for the zombie apocalypse. have fun.
Old 04-11-11, 04:43 PM
memnoch_proxy
nw commuter

Bikes: trek antelope, trek 3900

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got an undead problem that won't go away? Consider our new bike powered chainsaw attachments for your commute? Thanks for Shopping S-Mart!
Old 04-11-11, 05:32 PM
Smallwheels

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Knobby tires give better traction over zombie bodies and the dead bodies of other victims. Mountain bikes would be better.

Use an internal geared hub so that when you roll over zombies their fingers won't get caught in the derailleur and stop you.
Old 04-11-11, 05:39 PM
crazyotte
Reppin' the hacks

Bikes: '07 Diamondback Respones XE-based frankenbike (since deceased). '92 Schwinn Hurricane. '97 Trek 800.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In a non-humorous note (if thats possible with the subject matter), bikes can be ridden near-silently in very non-populous regions.
Old 04-11-11, 06:16 PM
cyclist5
Will ride anywhere

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All such good points. But what about carrying guns and survival gear? People tour with stuff but in addition to all the stuff you need on a cross-country ride you need guns and ammo. B.O.B trailer?
Old 04-11-11, 11:46 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would agree that IGHs are way better for dealing with zombies. You don't want to be messing with a touchy derailleur with indexed or friction gearing while you're trying to reload and ride at the same time.

And while we're on the subject of reloading, I'd use automatics rather than revolvers for obvious reasons.

BTW, is this actually a serious academic program that will lead to something of substance?
Old 04-12-11, 04:44 AM
cyclist5
Will ride anywhere

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a basic speech class. It's a gen ed requirement. Last class I need to graduate with a bio degree and go to grad school in neurophysiology. Professor doesn't care what we do our speeches on as long as they are the right kind of speech. 1st speech was on the cycling commuting. 2nd was a persuasive speech about why the class would not survive the zombie apocalypse. 3rd speech needs to a plan-of-action speech, what needs to be done to fix the problem addressed in the persuasive speech. To make things interesting I wanted to include an element of my 1st speech in the final one.
Old 04-12-11, 07:35 AM
velocycling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You do not have to give speech as far fetched as zombies and cycling. All you have to do is look to Japan. This is real world not some Hollywood movie. Ppl were buying bikes to get around Tokyo because of the transit shutdown. Now ppl in Earthquake area are including bike in the emergency kits.

https://m.sfgate.com/sfchron/db_26994...l=true#display

Reality is more scary than fiction...

Last edited by velocycling; 04-12-11 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-12-11, 08:20 AM
cyclist5
Will ride anywhere

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh i know. I picked the zombies to amuse the class because everyone was giving these serious problems and half-assed solutions. I decided to brighten the mood. As for the situation in Japan that place has a much larger cycling community than we do here in the States. I read somewhere 15% of their population bikes vs 3% here. Having been there and studying that culture for over 10 years I know how good their roads are but how much they depend on subway/trains. My connection with the bikes for the zombie apocalypse was you go faster on a bike than you do running from zombies.

To all of you sugggesting that huge bike with insane monstertruck tires, wtf? Why would we run over dead bodies? I agree, kevlar tires would be much smarter. My opinion is to have speed so you can get away from zombies and make your way to a place of refuge.
Old 04-12-11, 01:28 PM
BWWpat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zombies cant swim.
Get a boat.
Old 04-12-11, 03:43 PM
cyclist5
Will ride anywhere

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exactly! The Zombie Apocalypse and biking is simply to get away from zombies for enough time. As for a boat, they still need gas. And if a sailboat they are harder to fix than a bike, which are also much more abundant to cannibalize for parts.

In terms of local club rides, could we incorporate zombie hunting into them? Instead of mileage we'd keep track of zombie kills.
Old 04-12-11, 04:20 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BWWpat
Zombies cant swim.
Get a boat.
I think it's vampires that can't swim.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-12-11, 10:34 PM
Hippiebrian

Bikes: Raleigh Sojourn, '67 Raleigh Super Course, old Gary Fisher Mamba, and a generic Chinese folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every time I walk into the control room at work at 3 am, I fear the zombie apocalypse has already started...
Old 04-13-11, 11:30 AM
BWWpat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im sure zombies cant swim, they move too slow and are full of holes.

This should work!

And if some how zombies learn to outrun your bike or are suddenly able to swim?
Break out some fancy dance moves like MJ, zombies cant help but bust a move.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2505_02.jpg (62.7 KB, 12 views)
Old 04-13-11, 01:02 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I think it's vampires that can't swim.
They don't need to.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 04-13-11, 02:56 PM
megarot
this side up

Bikes: Nothing.. last bike stolen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your riding with bullhorns I would imagine you could strap your automatic guns to the undersides and pull the trigger not the brake
Old 04-18-11, 01:49 AM
memnoch_proxy
nw commuter

Bikes: trek antelope, trek 3900

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bull-horn mounted! I'd put some large wald baskets on the back for carrying ammo. I wonder if you would rig a chain feed from front panniers... And what about riding an Xtra and having a tail gunner?
Old 04-18-11, 03:29 AM
cyclist5
Will ride anywhere

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do they make carbon fiber guns? I wouldn't want to give up a lightweight bike just because the zombies are running amock
Old 04-20-11, 06:07 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Oh, no. According to the Honda commercial I just saw, now Zombies are buying their own cars!

But then again, many cyclists have long suspected that some motorists are zombies.

I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 04-20-11, 06:32 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 133 Times in 99 Posts
The key to surviving the zombie apocalypse is to put as much distance between the zombies and yourself and the problem with this is although zombies do not move quickly they never stop moving and will gain on you when you take time to rest.

A shuffling zombie can only move as fast as I do on foot which is roughly 3km per hour or about 75 km in 24 hours while on my bike I can ride at least 100 km per day and even as far as 200 at much better speeds. A healthy human can walk 75 km in 12 hours and perhaps a little farther but maintaining this pace over an extended period will be very difficult as you will also have to carry weapons and supplies.

In riding you may find yourself moving into other zombie infested areas so in escaping one group of zombies you may find others so you want to avoid populated and previously populated areas.

Zombies lose their sense of sight rather quickly as the eyes dehydrate but retain a keen sense of smell and this is their primary way of locating potential prey... masking your scent with something like smoke could prevent some zombies from catching your scent.

All in all, it takes 1-2 years for a zombie to decompose to the point where they are no longer a threat but most perish much sooner as with a lack of eyesight and no sense to their physical limits (they do not possess superhuman strength), end up taking themselves out.

Zombies pose less of a threat here in the north as at least in winter, without any circulation, they freeze solid and are then easily dispatched.

They can survive long periods of being frozen so when spring thaws come many frozen, albeit freezer burned zombies will resume their hunt for more brains.

By staying in more remote areas and having some wide open spaces you should also be able to see zombies at a distance and for this a long range rifle is an excellent tool as you can dispatch an undead brain eater from about 1000 yards and save the short range ammo for melee situations. A shotgun is best for these situations.

When it comes to friends... you only have them until they are infected and you should show mercy when your friends are bitten or scratched as there is no known cure for zombieitis. Mercy would be capping their ass immediately and taking any of their stuff you may find useful as they won't need it and the other zombies don't use tools.

This is what gets many people... human sympathy and some thought that their friends will somehow beat the odds and survive a zombie attack makes them hold back and not put them out of their misery right away.
Old 04-20-11, 08:42 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
The key to surviving the zombie apocalypse is to put as much distance between the zombies and yourself and the problem with this is although zombies do not move quickly they never stop moving and will gain on you when you take time to rest.

So we can assume a zombie on a bicycle would be a masher rather than a spinner. How are they on hills?

Old 04-20-11, 09:35 PM
ace587

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spudd
Zombies aren't that quick, you should be able to outrun them easily on a bike. Bikes FTW!

not if they are special zombies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.