Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

What should a hybrid weigh?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

What should a hybrid weigh?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-11, 07:09 PM
alanknm

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not only lower rolling resistance (at least on smooth roads) but you reduce the chances of getting a pinch flat.

And yes parts can be very expensive. That's why the one thing I did spend money on was a pair of clipless pedals and MTB shoes. The pedals were $60 and the shoes about $160. The shoes I can use on any MTB that has SPD MTB pedals so there wasn't any money wasted.
Old 04-30-11, 12:55 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Talldog
The reality is that it is a $300 bike. There is no point in upgrading it. It's actually silly, . A carbon fork would cost 2/3's of the original price of the bike. A decent wheelset would cost more than the bike. If his budget for a bike is $300 then be happy with a $300 bike. It makes little sense to buy a $300 bike and spend $500 or more upgrading it. If his budget was really $800 then start with an $800 bike. Piecemealing it after the fact cost twice as much to obtain the same components that were readily available on a slightly more expensive bike to start with. Unless of course he knows a legitimate way to get the parts for no cost. Maybe the lawsuit over the front tire will be turn into an unexpected financial windfall,
Completely true.
I was merely talking in general and not about this specific bike, though.
Parts are mostly but not always more expensive than a complete bike.
I bought my bike completely seperate in parts ordered through webshops and I came out at roughly the same price as comparable bikes at various LBS's around here.
I did buy a lot of parts from a few years back with huge discount ... for instance I bought a Shimano 105 triple crank for $70.
Old 04-30-11, 01:48 AM
hyroad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mine, fuji absolute 2.0, weighs around 24 lbs
Old 04-30-11, 01:55 AM
Ghost09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi :-) maybe this site will help you to find weight-answers ;-) its very interesting to see how much all the parts weigh...good luck https://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings.php
Old 04-30-11, 02:47 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg
Please disregard my dark kitchen..
I'll take a better picture tomorrow.

https://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...t/photo-25.jpg
I went for a 30 mile ride today with the new tires. The rolling resistance on them are great! But it was cold out, so the air in the tires contracted, which means that they weren't at the full 80psi. It even started snowing when I was 3 miles from home .

I took a picture of my bike for you guys. Here's a better one:
Old 04-30-11, 03:28 PM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Now there's a picture of a bike
Old 04-30-11, 03:49 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbojonez
That is much to heavy. I would sue them for selling you a heavy bike, there is no excuse for that.
Hahahahaha!

Do you really have to bring that into this?

Don't worry, it just means you came in with a splash and people know you now. Lots of people post for 6 months and people are asking them, "Who are you again?" Don't worry, it's all good.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 04-30-11, 03:57 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
Now there's a picture of a bike
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Doohickie
Don't worry, it just means you came in with a splash and people know you now. Lots of people post for 6 months and people are asking them, "Who are you again?" Don't worry, it's all good.
Thanks, that's really nice of you to say. I was just pissed off when I said that, because I didn't get to ride that day...
Old 04-30-11, 08:34 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

I think we all know you're a pretty good guy.

Old 04-30-11, 08:48 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think we all know you're a pretty good guy.
Thank you. It means a lot to me. I sent you an email about something because you seem pretty knowledgeable about bikes, and my question doesn't really warrant a new thread. I have too low of a post count, so I can't do what I originally planned; I wanted to send you a PM about it...
Old 04-30-11, 09:16 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

I think you could have posted it here in this thread. I responded with an email.

Old 05-04-11, 03:50 PM
Praxis
Not a legend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My circa 1990 hybrid with steel frame and components (handlebar, stem, cranks, etc.) weighs about 30 pounds. Funny thing: I was looking forward to losing some weight in the drop bar conversion, since the new handlebars for example are way lighter. So for kicks I weighed everything, and between the threaded to threadless converter, stem, brifters, cross levers, and handlebars--it weighs about the same. Still like 'em though.
Old 05-04-11, 09:38 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 902 Posts
I think you could have posted it here in this thread. I responded with an email.
He can also message you by clicking on your profile and leaving you a profile message.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 05-05-11, 03:35 AM
Fiery

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
But it was cold out, so the air in the tires contracted, which means that they weren't at the full 80psi.
There's no need actually for them to be pumped up at max pressure, especially since you're quite small. With lower pressure you'll have better grip, slightly less rolling resistance (believe it or not) and a much more comfortable ride.
Old 05-05-11, 09:56 AM
edenooch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why i used to hike alot 'ultralight' was the game...Now it seems is the yway go to with a bike. my hybrid weighed 29lbs stock ive changed teh stem and pedals. the stem was such a difference maker. it feels so much more nimble when cornering...

next im looking into wheels...any one recommend a light set of 35's?
Old 05-05-11, 11:24 AM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by edenooch
It feels so much more nimble when cornering...
Putting on a new stem made cornering easier? What size/angle stem did you put on?
Old 05-05-11, 11:40 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 99 Posts
My old Trek 7500 came in at 26 pounds with a rear rack and fenders after some significant upgrades... pretty much replaced everything around the frame and fork and it started life as a 32 pound bike that sold for $500.00 but was equipped with some pretty nice level components.

My monster cross weighs < 24 pounds and it is a steel frame and this includes the weight of the rack and partial fenders... this is a custom frame and fork that cost $1600.00 new.

My hardtail is steel (custom) and weighs 24 pounds... it was a $3000.00 bike when new and the fork weighs < 3 pounds and was a $600.00 touch.

Around here the lightest it gets are for my vintage road bikes... one is a fixed gear and the other is geared and both hit the curb at about 21 pounds.

29 pounds is a more than acceptable weight for a mid level hybrid bicycle and the cost of a bike really starts to climb quickly when you start shaving weight... at the extreme ultralight end they say that every pound you take off a bike costs $1000.00

I build touring bikes and tandems and when people ask how much they weigh we tell them they weigh as much as they need to for the demands of the build...

We have built racing tandems that curb out under 40 pounds... put two strong riders on one of these and you can cruise at 30 mph all day.
Old 05-05-11, 12:54 PM
EsoxLucius

Bikes: 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2009 Jamis Coda Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 2009 Jamis Coda Comp weighs 30 1/2 lbs. with two aluminium bottle cages and two CamelBak Podium Chill water bottles full of water, a CygoLite MiliOn 150 USB headlight in a TerraCycle multipurpose accessory mount, two taillights with 2 AAA batteries each, small seat post bag, bike multitool, Profile Design Boxer bar ends, and a Profile Design Jammer GT aerobar.
Old 05-08-11, 05:29 PM
goagain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a newbie and wondering if anyone knows the weights of these women's bikes, for comparison:

Giant Cypress W (alum. w/ suspension fork) vs Cypress ST W (cromo with rigid fork) and
Giant Sedona W (alum. w/ suspension fork) vs Sedona ST W (cromo with rigid fork).
These are entry level ($330-400) hybrid bikes. The manufacturer won't give the weights and the bike shops won't tell me. I know at this price, these aren't lightweight bikes, but I'd like a comparison of the alum vs. cromo models. Trying to decide which to buy.

Also please comment on the following advice I've received:

For low end bikes, aluminum frame bikes often weigh about as much as, or maybe more than, steel/cromo ones because:
1. Aluminum is not nearly as strong as steel, so the alum frame has to be made of thicker metal than steel ones, which increases the weight.
2. The aluminum ones need suspension forks, which add significantly to the weight. Aluminum is more stiff than steel, which doesn't require a suspension fork. Any suspension fork on a $400 bike is cheap and next to worthless.
Therefore: Get the cromo model with the rigid fork. It will ride better and doesn't have wasted added weight. (and it's $70 cheaper )

I have no personal knowledge of the above (except that steel is stronger), but this makes sense to me.
HOWEVER: Most of the entry level hybrids are aluminum with suspension forks, and that's what the bike shops push. If the steel ones are actually better, why aren't more available? I know they charge more for the alum/suspension forks, but still.

Please help! I haven't ridden in years but want a basic bike for casual riding around the block or in a park, pavement or smooth path, maybe a very short group ride if I get good enough. More interested in ease of pedaling than speed. I'm leaning toward the cromo/rigid because of the above, but I'd like others' thoughts as well before I purchase. I only know what I've been told and probably won't be buying another bike after this one. I'm "older." *sigh*

I know I need to try them out, but that would be a brief ride probably in the parking lot and won't really tell this newbie much. Thanks for any insights you can provide.
I also looked at the Treks 700 and 7000, WSD, but they didn't seem to have as good of specs and cost a little more, plus there's no dealer nearby.
Old 05-09-11, 08:15 AM
Agent Cooper

Bikes: '04 Cannondale T800, '00 Raleigh M80

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
How much should a hybrid weigh?

A bit more than a road bike, and smidge less than a mountain bike.
Old 05-09-11, 08:28 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Agent Cooper
How much should a hybrid weigh?

A bit more than a road bike, and smidge less than a mountain bike.
Depends on the mountainbike.
This one, for instance, weighs 8.5kg: https://www.cube.eu/hardtail/hpc-series/elite-hpc-sl/

I don't remember the weight of jbchybridrider's hybrid bike exactly but it was something like 7,5kg which is lighter than most roadbikes.
So basicly ... there ain't no tellin'
Old 05-09-11, 10:40 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
Depends on the mountainbike.
This one, for instance, weighs 8.5kg: https://www.cube.eu/hardtail/hpc-series/elite-hpc-sl/

I don't remember the weight of jbchybridrider's hybrid bike exactly but it was something like 7,5kg which is lighter than most roadbikes.
So basicly ... there ain't no tellin'
8.163kg to be exact with the 23mm road tires thats the lightest I can get it without spending a crap load of more money on it.
My road bike is 6.8kg give or take a few grams thats on bathroom scales weighing me and the bike working out the difference. I took the JBC to a bike shop and hung it from there scales.
Now I dont worry to much about the weight of my hybrid any more whatever I have to add such as lights or different tires to make it a usable everyday bike then thats it.
Old 05-12-11, 09:51 PM
rlim

Bikes: Vintage Guerciotti Strada SL, Guerciotti Ares, and Motobecane Cafe Century Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently bought a Motobecane Cafe Century Pro Hybrid which weighed in at 19.5 lbs. I was quite impressed with this bike as i was able to keep up with my cycling buddies at the local bike club who rode fancier carbon and titanium bikes. I swapped out the 700 x 28 tires for 700 x23 tires and it felt a lot more responsive.
Old 05-12-11, 10:30 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13022 Post(s)
Liked 7,948 Times in 4,225 Posts
I've been on LOTS of hybrids that weigh more than my rigid Mongoose MTB.

and it ain't even a lightweight at 24-25 lbs depending on wheels/tires.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 05-12-11 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-12-11, 11:37 PM
ATX 6Speed
Habitual (Bike) Tweaker

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Allez Comp E5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My hybrid is currently tipping the scales at just under 22lbs. For a 61cm bike I'm happy with that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.