Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Brooks saddle or just the proofhide?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-11, 09:10 AM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts

A Brooks England Flyer is on order for the commuter, but (butt) i have been thinking.

If I need to apply the proofhide to the saddle to break it in to fit my butt, why can't I just apply proofhide to the leather over my sitbones and break my butt in to fit the saddle that came with my bike?

For a savings of over 100-dollars.

Friday ponderings, thats all. The saddle I have is actually pretty comfy for commuting but I miss the ride I had on my schwinn, the torker is a bit stiff.
Old 05-13-11, 09:13 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Dissolve the proofide in DMSO before applying it to your butt

(ps-> I know that brookses can break in just fine w/ no treatment whatsoever and I believe the proofide is only for waterproofing; I have been using snoseal for that instead of the official product)
Old 05-13-11, 05:01 PM
lazlo
Seasoned Newbie

Bikes: 2008 Cross Check; Santana Sovereign

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never treated any of my Brooks, and they broke in fine after very few rides. Even riding in the rain, I've never found the saddle to get wet. I cover the top, and my fenders cover the bottom. The only time moisture is an issue is from sweat after 80-100 mi. in the summer. I'm more concerned about the leather drying out.
Old 05-13-11, 06:49 PM
Nigal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the proofhide on my Swift just for wate rproofness and to avoid dryingcracking. Even then ya only have to use it once or twice a year. the proofhide does nothing for breaking in. From what I have read the thinner seats such as the Swift and Swallow take longer to break in. The wider ones like the B17 are good to go right out of the box.
Old 05-13-11, 07:08 PM
Underground
Ride On.

Bikes: 2010 Trek 1.5, 2010 Specialized Langster, 2010 Specialized Hardrock Sport 29er, 2011 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
B17 good to go right out of the box? Mine was like concrete, and is just now starting to show signs of it starting to break in (after 100 miles).
Old 05-13-11, 07:11 PM
JPMacG

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
After 5000 miles, mine is still like a block of wood. But is is comfortable.
Old 05-13-11, 08:34 PM
azesty
Hot in China

Bikes: Giant Lava

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Leather varies a lot. I have a B17 and a Flyer. The leather on the flyer is much softer than the B17, but I have hear others where this is the opposite.

z
Old 05-13-11, 11:39 PM
Schwinnrider
Mirror slap survivor

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Proofide is only for waterproofing, or so I understand. Breaking in is done by riding. That being said, I have three B17s and they were all comfortable from the start.
Old 05-14-11, 08:51 AM
PaulH

Liked 96 Times in 65 Posts
I got a pre-aged B67. It worked fine from the start, and I've done nothing to it in the past three years and nearly 10,000 miles.

Paul
Old 05-14-11, 10:54 AM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnrider
Proofide is only for waterproofing, or so I understand. Breaking in is done by riding. That being said, I have three B17s and they were all comfortable from the start.
Waterproofing??? There is no such thing for leather. Making it for tad resistant to water, yes, but not waterproof.
Old 05-14-11, 11:48 AM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I proofided my brooks when I got it. It was a pre-aged but i still did it.
Old 05-14-11, 01:24 PM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Brooks Flyer that I've put about 600 miles into (about a month). At first the leather was incredibly rigid. I remember thinking that it felt just like sitting on hard plastic and had thoughts of returning it if it didn't improve. It has improved quite a bit by riding, and I think it will only continue to get better.

According to Sheldon Brown's site, you can use oil to help the break in process. Proofhide works also, but is much slower (again, according to SB's site).
Old 05-14-11, 08:30 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lazlo
I've never treated any of my Brooks, and they broke in fine after very few rides. Even riding in the rain, I've never found the saddle to get wet. I cover the top, and my fenders cover the bottom. The only time moisture is an issue is from sweat after 80-100 mi. in the summer. I'm more concerned about the leather drying out.
If you can't waterproof them, does that mean they have to be covered when you're not sitting on them? I ride to Dallas, put my bike on a bus, ride the bus, then ride my bike to work, where it is stashed in a place where it could get rained on. So would I have to be putting the cover on and pulling it off multiple times, until I lost it? Or can you ride with the waterproof cover on?
Old 05-14-11, 10:47 PM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by enigmaT120
If you can't waterproof them, does that mean they have to be covered when you're not sitting on them? I ride to Dallas, put my bike on a bus, ride the bus, then ride my bike to work, where it is stashed in a place where it could get rained on. So would I have to be putting the cover on and pulling it off multiple times, until I lost it? Or can you ride with the waterproof cover on?
You can ride with the waterproof cover on it. I'd get one if I were you since you like to stash your bike under a waterfall.
Old 05-15-11, 07:19 AM
warmachine

Bikes: specialized hemi, Cannondale trail 5 29er, and Dahon Vitesse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by enigmaT120
You can ride with the cover on, but the rivets will eventually wear holes in it.
Shopping bags work great though, and are easy to find laying around if it rains and
you don't have anything to cover your saddle with.