Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The little stuff you love...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

The little stuff you love...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-11, 12:36 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
You're good if you're heading south this afternoon.
ugh, and today I drove my car.
I've had stiff headwinds home (going south) for months, except last friday - last friday was glorious. Near-effortlessly holding ~20+ mi/hr on long flat stretches is really fun.
Old 05-16-11, 12:38 PM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need to get out of house a little earlier and maybe I can catch you...
I'm back to crossing McCart at Westcreek again (construction has made a mess at the north end of the park I was crossing), but I'm going to work an hour earlier than when I saw you that morning. I usually cross McCart before 5:30 am.
Old 05-16-11, 01:07 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Liked 424 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by pallen
ugh, and today I drove my car.
I've had stiff headwinds home (going south) for months, except last friday - last friday was glorious. Near-effortlessly holding ~20+ mi/hr on long flat stretches is really fun.
Today was a great commute, even with the headwind... it wasn't all that much really.

Originally Posted by Bud Bent
I'm back to crossing McCart at Westcreek again (construction has made a mess at the north end of the park I was crossing), but I'm going to work an hour earlier than when I saw you that morning. I usually cross McCart before 5:30 am.
I usually leave the house at 5:30. If I left less than a half hour earlier I would catch ya. The construction on Jennie Dr. is almost done- just some of the driveway aprons left. There is a mud bog at the end of the parking lot though where the park trail begins (on the north side of the park). I rode it this weekend. Once that mud gets cleaned up or dries out, it should be good riding down Jennie to Edgecliff. Not sure about Duringer. If you use Google Maps Bicycle option, it now shows the trail through the park as a bike path.

I'm glad they're fixing things up and they seem to be moving pretty fast on a lot of the projects but day to day seems like Russian Roulette in terms of which routes are clear and which are under construction.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Last edited by Doohickie; 05-16-11 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-16-11, 01:16 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Lately I've enjoyed smelling the honeysuckle, which is in full bloom. I like seeing young kids, who always look and often say something funny or nice. For every jerk who honks or yells "get off the road," I tend to get just many thumbs up and "atta boys" from other drivers. ... But tailwinds? I've never heard of such a thing.
Old 05-16-11, 01:27 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...Still, I love pedaling at dark-thirty in the morning, with very little traffic on the streets.
Yes! It works both ways. When working 2nd shift it was the ride home @ 11:30-12:45 AM...maybe 5 cars in the whole 20 miles. 1st shift going in is substantially more busy, but much less at 5:00 AM than it would be a couple hours later. There are stretches when all I can hear is the hum of my tires on the asphalt.

See turkeys, deer, geese, raccons, opossums, domestic bison, etc. Once on my way home on 2nd shift I came around a 90 degree bend in the middle of nowhere to roll up on a herd of donkeys. About 30 of them... Took me a couple of months searching local farms to find out where they came from. They looked at me w/ears forward so I knew I was ok. As I rode through the herd they gracefully moved out of my way. They may have a reputation for being stubborn, but they were very polite to me that night.
Old 05-16-11, 02:41 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Liked 433 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
. ... But tailwinds? I've never heard of such a thing.
They're for people who are going the opposite way that I am.
Old 05-16-11, 04:31 PM
JeremyLC

Bikes: 2008 Surly Cross Check, 2010 Fuji Track Comp

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Also, this guy jumping down from the window sill and running to the door to greet me when I get home. (Yes, cats do that, too, not just dogs! )

(Shown here inspecting my handlebars for defects or malfunctions.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
zoot_bars.jpg (48.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-16-11, 05:26 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Liked 2,496 Times in 1,287 Posts
I always loved watching nature, that's one of the reasons why I enjoy biking everyday. I never get bored looking at: forests, fields, the sky, trees, plants, lakes, swamps, rivers, stars, moon, sun, rain, mist, snow ice ,wildlife... I love to feel the wind, cool air in the early morning, I love to watch seasons and the changes that they bring to the landscape around me...spring, summer, fall, winter , every season has something interesting to offer. I am very lucky, the suburbs where I live have a lot of green spaces, ravines and nature. I see all kinds of wildlife: deer, coyotees, foxes, small game, birds, salmon spawning up the river in the fall. I purposly add extra miles to my commute just to enjoy all those things.
Old 05-16-11, 05:57 PM
rex_kramer
Acts 2:38

Bikes: '10 Marin Lucas Valley, '13 Scott Speedster 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colleen c
Going down the other side of the freeway overpass.
+1
Old 05-16-11, 05:58 PM
rex_kramer
Acts 2:38

Bikes: '10 Marin Lucas Valley, '13 Scott Speedster 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice tailwind for once today on my ride home. Without the storms, I'm always stuck riding into a prevailing headwind.
Old 05-16-11, 08:10 PM
Ira B

Bikes: 84 Raleigh Technium- 89 Shogun Mt. Bike-96 Miyata 914

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Racing rabbits I startle alongside the road.
The fresh salt air.
The smell of the forest after the rain.
The downhill run into Coupeville.
Evenings nice enough to ride my road bike.
The way I feel the next day after a brisk ride home the night before.
Old 05-16-11, 08:25 PM
Titmawz

Bikes: Raleigh Record Ace, Windsor The Hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The simple pleasure of riding my bike =)
Old 05-16-11, 08:29 PM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
short stretch of road that borders the alfalfa fields with swather running mmmmmmm... good time to ride slower.
Old 05-16-11, 09:01 PM
Titmawz

Bikes: Raleigh Record Ace, Windsor The Hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heard once a small child riding on the sidewalk with her little pink bike with tassels and side wheels tell her mom "I want to get one of those bikes when I grow up"... That comment made my day and put a tear in my eye =D
Old 05-16-11, 09:05 PM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seeing a couple riding a tandem always puts a smile to my face. Trying to keep up with them quickly wipes that away.
Old 05-16-11, 09:25 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

The snowy egret and the blue heron.

(Finally got a picture of both of them together.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00045.jpg (101.1 KB, 76 views)

Old 05-17-11, 07:21 AM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually leave the house at 5:30. If I left less than a half hour earlier I would catch ya.
Wow, we're within a mile of each other at 5:30 am then. If they would ever close that one block gap between Risinger Road and Carolina Drive, I'd be riding right past your house, rather than doing that jaunt down Sycamore School Road.
Old 05-17-11, 07:33 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
If I have a morning headwind, it'll have flipped around and be an evening headwind. The wind here is nearly always from the west which is a headwind on the way home. The best I can hope for is that sometimes there's no wind at all in the morning. I do get tailwinds sometimes when the weather is highly variable, which means that most of the time that means it's accompanied by rain, but 3 or 4 times a year I will get a tailwind and otherwise decent weather.

Just riding my bike is enough. It also helps that since getting back in the saddle my blood pressure WITHOUT meds is down to below what I could get it to with meds but no riding.
Old 05-17-11, 08:19 AM
Tourfan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Effortlessly tailing a roadie at 40kph on a mountain bike, and pretending it was me and not the roaring tailwind.
Old 05-17-11, 08:29 AM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
Took a 3/4 mile detour this morning for a coffee, and found myself going by a 1/3 mile stretch of lilacs in bloom on the right of the bike lane, all different colors.
Old 05-17-11, 08:45 AM
mttx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At this time in Ottawa, ON it is the Canadian Tulips Festival. Riding along the canal with all the tulips blooming is beautiful.

https://www.tulipfestival.ca/
Old 05-17-11, 08:58 AM
Glynis27
Spinning @ 33 RPM

Bikes: '89 Fuji Saratoga, '97 Schwinn Mesa SS, '07 Felt F1X, '10 Transition TransAM, '11 Soma Analog SS

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I love being led down the trail by a bat or two on my way home at night. They fly directly in front of me about 10' away. I assume they are catching bugs that are attracted by my headlight. They lead the way for a mile or two, completely silently, and then disappear. I enjoy seeing all the other animals too; deer, bunnies, birds singing, opossums, toads, skunks, owls, squirrels, etc. This time of year all the frogs and toads are singing too. It's almost deafening in spots.

I love being the only one on the trail for miles. I love when the temperature drops low enough on the ride home that I don't get overheated and I can find a fast, comfortable pace. I love when the weather calls for thunderstorms and instead it ends up just being a light mist. I love finding a new route that I didn't know about previously.
Old 05-17-11, 09:22 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Liked 433 Times in 298 Posts
Loved going outside to check the temperature and finding I had dressed right for the wildly fluctuating temperatures we've been having. And I get to take my first ride in the dark with the replacement Magicshine battery tonight too!
Old 05-17-11, 09:23 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Titmawz
Heard once a small child riding on the sidewalk with her little pink bike with tassels and side wheels tell her mom "I want to get one of those bikes when I grow up"... That comment made my day and put a tear in my eye =D
I sometimes get "Cool bike!" from kids around here. Makes my day, particularly considering that it's a black commuter with fenders, racks, panniers and stuff. Once some kid said to me that he'd like to be bale to haul stuff on his bike too

Originally Posted by Titmawz
The simple pleasure of riding my bike =)
Yup. That's pretty much it.
Old 05-17-11, 11:10 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Wow, we're within a mile of each other at 5:30 am then. If they would ever close that one block gap between Risinger Road and Carolina Drive, I'd be riding right past your house, rather than doing that jaunt down Sycamore School Road.
BTW, I did the jaunt through Westcreek Park on the way home yesterday. The only "construction" to ride over is maybe 5-10 feet of stone at the end of Duringer, where it meets Jennie. The mud bog at the end of the parking lot is dry.... for now.

As for stuff I love, I passed a friend of mine out with her daughter, both on bikes. They did 8 miles together; the daughter's already riding her age! How awesome is that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.