Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Attempting to kill a seatpost with Oxalic Acid

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Attempting to kill a seatpost with Oxalic Acid

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-10, 03:02 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 643 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Okay, lye scares you; and it should. It may still be the solution.

I'm thinking as a first step you need to find a place where a little fugitive lye won't a complete and catastrophic disaster. A bath tub, maybe? Next, you need to get some kind of a plug into the tube, below the remains of the post, so the lye doesn't leak through, run away, and cause problems. Then you make a weak lye-water solution and pour a little of it into the tube, and wait. Ideally you use only just barely enough lye to do the job so that by the time you're done, the acid has been neutralized by the aluminum it has dissolved.

That said, how about one of you scientist type guys critique my method?
Lye is not acid, its just the opposite, its a base. So the neutralizing step after OA is backwards. I have touted many chemical uses on this list, but I would not recommend using lye. YMMV.

+1 Find a machine shop.
Old 11-17-10, 06:09 PM
Iowegian

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Hacksaw 4 slots through the post 90 degrees apart from each other then use a pipe wrench. If the post is truly cut all the way or nearly all the way through, it should break into 4 pieces that can removed 1 by 1. It's easier to get a lot of torque with a pipe wrench than with vice grips and you can position the jaws so that they push the post towards the center to help break the pieces apart and away from the frame. At this point, I wouldn't expect the post to ever turn so you'll probably have to take it out in pieces..

Or take it to a machine shop. Estimates are usually free.
Old 11-17-10, 06:33 PM
sjpitts 

Bikes: 90 Bridgestone MB2/3, 97 Lemond Zurich, 97 Waterford 2200, 95 Mondonico Futura Leggero

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you have an inch of seatpost sticking out you could try and drill a hole through the sides of the post-- something that you could put a steel bar through to help you twist the seat post. Then put securely grab the seat post and bar in a bench mounted vise and rotate the frame-- after cooling the seat post down with dry ice.

If you can't secure the seat post in the vise and keep it from rotating I don't know how you could ever break it free.
Old 11-17-10, 08:47 PM
tashi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
I twisted, sawed, hammered with punches, used crap like liquid wrench and still couldn't get a seatpost out. When I plugged the top of the seatpost with caulk and filled the seat tube with lye, the post came right out.

Lotsa popping, hissing and gassing though. That stuff is scary. Be careful.
Old 11-17-10, 09:17 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Machine shop. Those guys are artists. They'll guarantee their work. They'll do a fine job. After I've finally made that decision, it always becomes clear it was the only way. Take it in and forget about it.
Old 11-18-10, 12:11 AM
snarkypup

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Sports: The Root Beer Bomber

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also advocate against lye. It's so dangerous, and you have to consider what you will do with the remainder. Just a simple mistake can have horrible consequences. My mother was nearly blinded as a child after spilling lye from a shelf into her eyes. Serious, scary stuff. A machine shop might cost $20 more, but you won't accidentally blind anyone by going there .
Old 11-18-10, 04:42 AM
ftwelder

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by snarkypup
A machine shop might cost $20 more, but you won't accidentally blind anyone by going there .

I guess I will have to clean house if you ever make plans to come to my shop.

I remove stuck posts all the time. I have a lathe that has been modified and made into a dedicated seat tube reaming machine. I am working on a device that uses mechanical action to remove them (grab and pull)

I watched 30 seconds of Kurts video and came up with a potential solution.
Old 11-18-10, 06:44 AM
Amani576
Buh'wah?!

Bikes: 2014 Giant Trance

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ftwelder
I remove stuck posts all the time. I have a lathe that has been modified and made into a dedicated seat tube reaming machine. I am working on a device that uses mechanical action to remove them (grab and pull)

I watched 30 seconds of Kurts video and came up with a potential solution.
If you weren't so far away I'd probably let you do it. But I don't have the money to ship a tandem frame from NC to Vermont.
I'll probably call a local machine shop in a few days. Find out if there's a waiting period or anything for whichever I choose to do it.
-Gene-
Old 11-18-10, 07:48 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Lye is not acid, its just the opposite, its a base.
Thanks, I know I knew that once. I've edited my original post.
Old 11-18-10, 02:04 PM
ftwelder

OK, I made a portable seat post puller. I just can't stand seeing you guys suffer.. It weighs 20 lbs but it's smaller than a tandem. I used it on one of mine and it works fine. I guess how it attaches to the post depends on what's ;eft of the post. I made a claw also not shown

IMG_3888 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

IMG_3887 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr
Old 11-18-10, 02:28 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 2,218 Times in 572 Posts
Nice work. Now head to patent office! How much load do you suppose the hook/claw could take?

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 11-18-10, 03:17 PM
SteveSGP

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1976 Gitane Tour de France

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I realize you're past this point but I had a seat post severely stuck in an old Fuji frame and got it out with one of these,

Mine is similar to that but about 24" long, a pipe wrench with a standard 90 degree head would be better, basically once it's properly adjusted it just gets tighter the harder you push on it and it'll twist almost anything.

I'd imagine you could damage the seat tube as well if it was really rusty and the frame wasn't really strong though.
Old 11-18-10, 03:19 PM
SteveSGP

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1976 Gitane Tour de France

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OK, I made a portable seat post puller. I just can't stand seeing you guys suffer.. It weighs 20 lbs but it's smaller than a tandem. I used it on one of mine and it works fine. I guess how it attaches to the post depends on what's ;eft of the post. I made a claw also not shown

IMG_3888 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

IMG_3887 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr
That is brilliant!
Old 11-18-10, 04:07 PM
ftwelder

Originally Posted by gaucho777
Nice work. Now head to patent office! How much load do you suppose the hook/claw could take?
That hook is part of a cheezy tie-down strap. May be 500 lbs or so. It has something like a 12:1 ratio. I used it standing upright but it would be better with a bracket mounting it to a corner post. Like on of those aluminum can crushers.

I have invented plenty of things and filed patents. In Fact, a one of a kind prototype bike with a unique suspension system I designed was recently stolen. I am much happier letting the stuff go.
Old 11-18-10, 04:22 PM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
That hook is part of a cheezy tie-down strap. May be 500 lbs or so. It has something like a 12:1 ratio. I used it standing upright but it would be better with a bracket mounting it to a corner post. Like on of those aluminum can crushers.

I have invented plenty of things and filed patents. In Fact, a one of a kind prototype bike with a unique suspension system I designed was recently stolen. I am much happier letting the stuff go.
that cantilever seatpost extractor doodad is pretty sweet!!!
Old 11-18-10, 04:39 PM
tugrul

Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
OK, I made a portable seat post puller.
Damn, next time you need to use that thing, take a video so we can all share in the celebration.
Old 11-18-10, 04:43 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 485 Post(s)
Quoted: 3845 Post(s)
Liked 6,915 Times in 2,671 Posts
Frank, is there a possibility that the hold of the seatpost in the seat tube would be stronger than the braze on the seat cluster or BB lug, in which case those lugs would give way before the seatpost does?! I'm mostly thinking of my experience with a stuck stem on my Raleigh Super Course MkII; I had a wheel in the forks and the stem in a vise, trying to apply some serious torque, when one of the fork dropouts came out (and it had very little brazing material on it!).

Neal
Old 11-18-10, 05:00 PM
Iowegian

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
^ I like using a 2x4 just below the fork crown (with a spare hub mounted in the fork). I suppose this could crack the fork crown or crush the fork tubes but it's worked for me so far.
Old 11-18-10, 09:05 PM
ftwelder

Originally Posted by nlerner
Frank, is there a possibility that the hold of the seatpost in the seat tube would be stronger than the braze on the seat cluster or BB lug, in which case those lugs would give way before the seatpost does?! I'm mostly thinking of my experience with a stuck stem on my Raleigh Super Course MkII; I had a wheel in the forks and the stem in a vise, trying to apply some serious torque, when one of the fork dropouts came out (and it had very little brazing material on it!).

Neal
It seems to not stress the frame very much. This bike, my Schwinn 1976 Voyageur, I had been riding for two months with the binder loose and regular soakings of oil and it wasn't moving. This thing popped it right out. It really takes very little effort. I would venture that riding the bike is far worse for it.
Old 11-18-10, 09:17 PM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I have a lathe that has been modified and made into a dedicated seat tube reaming machine.
Now that is manly.
Old 06-09-11, 07:21 PM
Amani576
Buh'wah?!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
BACK FROM THE DEAD!
Okay... I took a break from this project. But it's my only one, now... And that %%$#%@#$%# post is still in there.
I thought seriously about a machine shop, but had another suggestion from a senior mechanic.
A cylinder hone. Cause that's probably what a machine shop would do anyways.
I'm just wondering if, while a cylinder hone (brake cylinder hone) is designed for honing steel, I might be putting the poor thing through absolute hell. The inside of it is just scary. Maybe if I run a 1" drill bit down into it first? I have access to all of these tools now, and that would help clean up/thin out the inside before taking the hone to it.
Think I should do that? I could do it next week.
I'm just sick of this project hanging around. I have the money now to devote to it. And it's (almost) summer for crying out loud.
-Gene-
Old 06-09-11, 07:41 PM
Veloh

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Take a look at this:
https://www.the-climb.net/2011/06/mur...acid-pt-3.html
Be careful if you're going to try but it might be worthwhile. Just let it soak and the aluminum should slowly die.
Old 06-09-11, 07:46 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7397 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,499 Posts
What about reaming it out? It would cost some money in tools, but it would be safe, as the only chemical you would need is cutting oil.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-09-11, 07:56 PM
Amani576
Buh'wah?!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's the problem. I just can't justify the money on a tool I'm only gonna use this one time. And beside that, a reamer costs substantially more than a hone, so even though I'll likely only be using this hone one time, if I don't break it, I'll have it since it's a tool that pertains to my job. It might take longer, but with a drill and some music, I could make it work.
I'd do the muriatic acid, but if I'm gonna go dangerous chemicals, I'd just mess with lye and get it over with.
-Gene-
Old 06-09-11, 08:09 PM
Alan Edwards

Bikes: 84' Ciocc, 79' Shogun 1000, 76' KHS Gran Sport, 96' Schwinn Super Sport,

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with Tom, beg, barrow or buy some drill bits and drill out the post a little at a time. If you touch or cut the tube stop drilling and start chipping out the post with a small screwdriver. Get it together soon, you have a girlfriend willing to go with you, before it gets cold.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.