Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

wtfbbq my pedals wont come off!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

wtfbbq my pedals wont come off!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-11, 02:13 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6856 Post(s)
Liked 5,555 Times in 3,274 Posts
Originally Posted by rogerstg
A little heat will let it come off easily.
A long as it's the Reverend...

Old 06-30-11, 02:47 PM
Nerull

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by flatlander_48
When installing pedals (and I do it fairly frequently as I have a BreakAway), I never use a wrench. Hand tight is enough. In a probably less than a mile they will be tight. Even with that, 2 months later they are very tight. And yes, I use grease when I put them together...
If you do this and don't get them quite tight enough, the forces on the pedal will loosen them rather than tighten them and are quite likely to strip the threads out of your crankarms. It is very important that your pedals are sufficiently tightened before riding. Yes, they will self tighten, but only if they are tight to start with.

I've also seen very seized pedals take the crank threads - which are a softer metal than the pedal spindle - out with them when removed.

Last edited by Nerull; 06-30-11 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-30-11, 04:00 PM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nerull
If you do this and don't get them quite tight enough, the forces on the pedal will loosen them rather than tighten them and are quite likely to strip the threads out of your crankarms. It is very important that your pedals are sufficiently tightened before riding. Yes, they will self tighten, but only if they are tight to start with.

I've also seen very seized pedals take the crank threads - which are a softer metal than the pedal spindle - out with them when removed.
No, been doing this for 6 years. The bike usually comes apart 2 to 4 times per year; sometimes more. Maybe what you said would be true if took a long time for the pedal to tighten from the rotation, but it doesn't...
Old 06-30-11, 04:10 PM
Nerull

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
No, been doing this for 6 years. The bike usually comes apart 2 to 4 times per year; sometimes more. Maybe what you said would be true if took a long time for the pedal to tighten from the rotation, but it doesn't...
Keeping on giving out that advice then. Selling new cranks to people who's pedals fall out from undertightening is good business for bike shops.
Old 06-30-11, 04:34 PM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Keeping on giving out that advice then. Selling new cranks to people who's pedals fall out from undertightening is good business for bike shops.
It is a statement of fact and not advice. If nothing has happened in 6 years (1 year on a double crank and currently 5 years on a triple) I don't think it's a problem. And, the reason I switched cranks was to be able to get enough cadence to stay upright on short steep uphill sections and not have to worry about unclipping fast enough.

Besides, how would you get the pedals to go backwards enough so that they would fall out? You would have to sit and spin backwards for a long time. Is that how you ride?!?!
Old 06-30-11, 04:44 PM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im thinking a little beer. or fourloko and a couple of friends...were about to figure this out...or buy a new bike....sl4?
Old 06-30-11, 04:46 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6856 Post(s)
Liked 5,555 Times in 3,274 Posts
Originally Posted by DropDeadFred
im thinking a little beer. or fourloko and a couple of friends...were about to figure this out...or buy a new bike....sl4?
A man with a plan! Buy a new bike!
Old 06-30-11, 05:20 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
seems easier...80$ pedals...200$ shoes = new 2400$ bike....isnt that what this is about...excuses to buy something new? seems easier than "accidentally" crashing...
Old 06-30-11, 07:41 PM
Nerull

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It is a statement of fact and not advice. If nothing has happened in 6 years (1 year on a double crank and currently 5 years on a triple) I don't think it's a problem. And, the reason I switched cranks was to be able to get enough cadence to stay upright on short steep uphill sections and not have to worry about unclipping fast enough.

Besides, how would you get the pedals to go backwards enough so that they would fall out? You would have to sit and spin backwards for a long time. Is that how you ride?!?!
A loose pedal will tend to rotate in the direction that makes it loose, not tight, when pedaling forward. A completely unrelated process causes tight pedals to become even tighter while riding, but this ONLY happens when the pedals are sufficiently tight to start with. Otherwise normal pedaling will work to loosen the pedals. This happens often more often than you would think, resulting in trashed cranksets (Unless you install a helicoil, anyway). Park Tool recommends 360 inch-pounds of torque for any pedal installation.

Put your bike up in a stand and try it. Get a pedal loose, and turn the cranks forward. Put a finger on the spindle to simulate some bearing drag and, well, look at that! Your pedal comes out!

Last edited by Nerull; 06-30-11 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-30-11, 07:50 PM
kuan
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Position the wrench close enough to the crankarm so you can squeeze it with both hands. This generally provides enough force to remove anything not installed with an impact wrench.
Old 07-01-11, 06:11 AM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A loose pedal will tend to rotate in the direction that makes it loose, not tight, when pedaling forward. A completely unrelated process causes tight pedals to become even tighter while riding, but this ONLY happens when the pedals are sufficiently tight to start with. Otherwise normal pedaling will work to loosen the pedals. This happens often more often than you would think, resulting in trashed cranksets (Unless you install a helicoil, anyway). Park Tool recommends 360 inch-pounds of torque for any pedal installation.

Put your bike up in a stand and try it. Get a pedal loose, and turn the cranks forward. Put a finger on the spindle to simulate some bearing drag and, well, look at that! Your pedal comes out!
Then one of 2 things:
  • Left and right hand threads should be swapped (which they are not, so that should tell you something)
  • Forces that act to loosen the pedals are less than the forces that act to tighten them; net effect is that the pedal tightens

As I said, in 6 years of doing this, I have not NOT a pedal loosen. I do not use a wrench on the pedals, except for removing them. The pedals start as hand tight. That is NOT to say loose; only as tight as you can do by hand.
Old 07-01-11, 07:19 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo
A long as it's the Reverend...
Amen! Can I get a witness?
Old 07-01-11, 10:02 AM
lunacycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This method works every time:

1. Stand the bike on the ground. Make sure chain is on the big ring so you don't hack up your leg (see step 4 below).
2. Rotate cranks so right crank arm is pointed forward.
3. Take your 15mm open-end wrench, put it on the flats of the right pedal spindle with the handle pointing back towards the bike. You may need to adjust the rotation of the cranks depending on where the flats are located. As long as the end of the wrench is in front of the bottom bracket this method will work.
4. Hold on to the handlebars, and step down carefully on the wrench. Be aware that the wrench tends to fall off the spindle when it comes loose, so try not to nick your crank arm.

Repeat for left side, with left crank arm facing forward.

If your pedals only accommodate an 8mm allen wrench, then try stepping on that using your heel. Slide a piece of pipe over the wrench to gain more leverage, if needed.
Old 07-01-11, 10:53 AM
Nerull

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Then one of 2 things:
  • Left and right hand threads should be swapped (which they are not, so that should tell you something)
  • Forces that act to loosen the pedals are less than the forces that act to tighten them; net effect is that the pedal tightens

As I said, in 6 years of doing this, I have not NOT a pedal loosen. I do not use a wrench on the pedals, except for removing them. The pedals start as hand tight. That is NOT to say loose; only as tight as you can do by hand.
Once, they were swapped. The problem is, the effect that causes a tight pedal to tighten causes a tight pedal to loosen if you reverse the threading, even though the rotational forces on the pedal are trying to tighten it. It likely wouldn't cause the pedal to back all the way out, since once the pedal loosens up the effect goes away, but a loose pedal, even if it doesn't come all the way out, is very hard on threads.

And, as I'll say yet again, the effect that causes the pedals to tighten ONLY WORKS WHEN THE PEDALS ARE SUFFICIENTLY TIGHT TO BEGIN WITH. If pedals are not tight enough, the forces that act to loosen the pedals will not be less than the forces that act to tighten them. The pedal will back itself out, fall out, destroy the crank threads, and ruin your day. I've seen it happen. Every bike shop sees it happen. That you get lucky doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
Old 07-01-11, 12:28 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

nothing a friend and a jillion pounds of torque couldn't fix
Old 07-01-11, 12:30 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
mmmm, Twizzlers.

Lubed it up right nice before installing this time?
Old 07-01-11, 12:30 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
indeed!....i looked away for two seconds and my friend installed the right side pedal on the inside of the crank..........its obvious I only used him for his brute strength...
Old 07-01-11, 12:56 PM
kudude
slow up hills

Bikes: Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jeez. OP, got the pedals out yet?

edit: should refresh before replying
Old 07-01-11, 03:35 PM
Greg_R

Bikes: Surly LHT set up for commuting

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great news! Now go get theses 2 items:
https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-PW-4...9555928&sr=8-3
https://www.amazon.com/CRC-SL3121-Mar...=pd_sim_auto_1

I like the marine grease because it will not wash or melt out. Thinner grease works out and then you've got another stuck pedal.
Old 07-01-11, 03:37 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for all the advice
Old 07-01-11, 04:38 PM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Once, they were swapped. The problem is, the effect that causes a tight pedal to tighten causes a tight pedal to loosen if you reverse the threading, even though the rotational forces on the pedal are trying to tighten it. It likely wouldn't cause the pedal to back all the way out, since once the pedal loosens up the effect goes away, but a loose pedal, even if it doesn't come all the way out, is very hard on threads.

And, as I'll say yet again, the effect that causes the pedals to tighten ONLY WORKS WHEN THE PEDALS ARE SUFFICIENTLY TIGHT TO BEGIN WITH. If pedals are not tight enough, the forces that act to loosen the pedals will not be less than the forces that act to tighten them. The pedal will back itself out, fall out, destroy the crank threads, and ruin your day. I've seen it happen. Every bike shop sees it happen. That you get lucky doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
Statistically, 6 years and 6-7000 miles is beyond luck...
Old 07-01-11, 04:59 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
Put the chain on the big ring before you do anything else. It will help save your knuckles when it does finaly break free.
Or shins.
Really hard to get the grease out of the wound too.