Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Another batch of Einsteins and their pets!!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Another batch of Einsteins and their pets!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-11, 05:49 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1778 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 762 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
FIFY.

If you can't control your dog, it's going to get hurt. If your solution to the victim defending themselves from your uncontrolled animal is to attack them yourself, you're going to get hurt too.
+1 Physically, legally and/or monetarily.
Old 07-09-11, 02:09 PM
larwyn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Modifying quotes is about the stupidest thing I have ever seen anyone do on a message board.

If I ever get an out of control dog that chases you down and gnaws your leg half off, you are more than welcome to finish ripping that leg off and beat the dog to death with it. The dog that I actually do have is not out of control and will not bite you, if you kick him I will hurt you. If I get hurt in the process, that is okay, I'm willing to pay that price if some idiot chooses to abuse my pet.
Old 07-10-11, 05:00 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by larwyn
The dog that I actually do have is not out of control and will not bite you, if you kick him I will hurt you. If I get hurt in the process, that is okay, I'm willing to pay that price if some idiot chooses to abuse my pet.
If your dog is close enough for me to kick him while I'm riding, then you're the idiot.
Old 07-10-11, 06:53 AM
larwyn

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=KD5NRH;12905726]If your dog is close enough for me to kick him while I'm riding, then you're the idiot.[/QUOTE

I would have thought that I would be dealing with adults in the 50+ forum. I guess that 50+ must be in reference to something other than age?
I'm bored with your brainless crap. If you get close enough to my dog to kick him, all I can say is "Get off of my land!".
Old 07-11-11, 01:59 AM
KD5NRH

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would have thought that I would be dealing with adults in the 50+ forum. I guess that 50+ must be in reference to something other than age?
Apparently it's not the IQ requirement.
Old 07-11-11, 02:54 AM
kevin_stevens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well since you folks seem to know my dog better than I do, I guess I should thank you for informing me of his dark side.

We are not likely to find out anyway, as my dog does not run the streets off leash, though he does "raise a little cane" while running from one side of the house to the other in the back yard barking at pedestrians and bicyclists as they pass on the street. He is even louder when they happen to be traveling along the creek bed just over the back fence. I cannot fault him for guarding/protecting "his" back yard (actually, he is probably trying to say; "Come on!! Let's play!!!). But he is behind a 7 foot high fence (designed to keep deer out of the garden) and thankfully that fence protects him from all those who would kick at a playful animal as he has never shown any sign of violent aggression toward anyone or anything. But I do understand why you think I do not know my dog, if you attack him, he probably would hurt you trying to protect himself from you, so on that point I reckon I was wrong. If you speak softly and hold out your hand he would likely attempt to lick it, but from the tone here you would probably interpret his action as attempting to rip your arm off.

Obviously, I care enough about my dog to be a responsible dog owner. I do protect him with a sturdy fence, a strong leash and effective obedience training. I'm sorry to have joined in on this thread but I would protect my dog to the same degree as myself or any other member of my family and there are many more like me.

Just something to think about. It would not be wise to let your fear of dogs put you in danger of a confrontation with a protective dog owner.
You do not comprehend what is being said. YOU may know your dog. STRANGERS do not know your dog. It is not reasonable to EXPECT strangers to know your dog. It is not reasonable to burden strangers in public spaces with the RESPONSIBILITY of stopping and approaching every loose dog they encounter in the way that particular dog accepts being approached. That's why the law places that RESPONSIBILITY on the dog owner to control the animal.

The law also does not permit you to "protect my dog to the same degree as myself or any other member of my family". The law considers that a dog is not a person. It is, for almost all purposes, property. You can dislike that truth, but if you ignore it in your actions, you will be guilty of criminal assault charges at best.

I love dogs. I trained dogs for years in obedience, competition, agility, shutzhund, and correcting behavioral problems. I worked with Canine Companions for Independence in their puppy fostering/training program - for free. I am not afraid of dogs.

Your perspective of the "protective dog owner" is unfortunately accurate. There are a lot of dog owners that refuse to take responsibility for controlling, training, and supervising their animals, yet react violently when their "family" is menaced as a direct result of their failure. I can point them out to you virtually on sight at any novice obedience orientation. It's rather alarming.

KeS
Old 07-11-11, 07:21 AM
larwyn

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
Apparently it's not the IQ requirement.
My thoughts, exactly.......
Old 07-11-11, 09:02 AM
KillerBeagle
Rabid Member

Bikes: 2006 Trek 2100, 1973 Crescent Mark XX, 196x Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I read a lot about karma in this forum.

Yesterday I was riding with my niece on one of our regular routes. We were coming up to a place that has multiple loose dogs that frequently give chase. I have used a fair amount of Halt there, and already had the spray can out. I can't count the number of times we have had close calls there, but I do know that there were 3 instances where the owners stood and watched their dogs chase without taking any action.

The property is not visible until the last second because of a row of trees and shrubs that runs along the side of the property all the way to the road. There were a good number of cars parked on the street and I was thinking "oh great, a party, so the dogs will probably be out".

As we got past the trees and cars to where the place was visible, there was no house, just a smoking heap of charred materials. I felt awful - nobody should have to go through that - but then a fleeting thought of "karma" came to mind. Am I evil for even thinking that?
Old 07-11-11, 09:11 AM
KD5NRH

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerBeagle
As we got past the trees and cars to where the place was visible, there was no house, just a smoking heap of charred materials. I felt awful - nobody should have to go through that - but then a fleeting thought of "karma" came to mind. Am I evil for even thinking that?
Admit it; you were humming "Fire Water Burn" in between giggles for the rest of the ride.
Old 07-11-11, 09:19 AM
larwyn

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kevin_stevens
You do not comprehend what is being said. YOU may know your dog. STRANGERS do not know your dog. It is not reasonable to EXPECT strangers to know your dog. It is not reasonable to burden strangers in public spaces with the RESPONSIBILITY of stopping and approaching every loose dog they encounter in the way that particular dog accepts being approached. That's why the law places that RESPONSIBILITY on the dog owner to control the animal.

The law also does not permit you to "protect my dog to the same degree as myself or any other member of my family". The law considers that a dog is not a person. It is, for almost all purposes, property. You can dislike that truth, but if you ignore it in your actions, you will be guilty of criminal assault charges at best.

I love dogs. I trained dogs for years in obedience, competition, agility, shutzhund, and correcting behavioral problems. I worked with Canine Companions for Independence in their puppy fostering/training program - for free. I am not afraid of dogs.

Your perspective of the "protective dog owner" is unfortunately accurate. There are a lot of dog owners that refuse to take responsibility for controlling, training, and supervising their animals, yet react violently when their "family" is menaced as a direct result of their failure. I can point them out to you virtually on sight at any novice obedience orientation. It's rather alarming.

KeS
No, actually the only failure to comprehend here is those who fail to comprehend that the law does not "allow" or "permit" much of anything. All the law really does is provide a range of penalty for
infractions. The lawman generally shows up after the fact, writes up reports, and maybe issue citations and/or makes arrests. But, the damage has already been done. Probably nothing a doctor and/or dentist can not sort out.

Other than that, you are just about spot on. I can no more expect you to know and understand animals than either of us can expect automobile drivers to know and understand bicycle regulations. Around here most still think that bicyclists should be on the sidewalk. My original intention was simply to present the fact that abusing animals could be hazardous to your health. I was using myself as an example when I probably should have presented it from the bicyclist's perspective instead. I both ride a bicycle and own a dog. If I ever catch me kicking my dog, I will have to hurt me........

Last edited by larwyn; 07-11-11 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-11-11, 09:46 AM
larwyn

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I read a lot about karma in this forum.

Yesterday I was riding with my niece on one of our regular routes. We were coming up to a place that has multiple loose dogs that frequently give chase. I have used a fair amount of Halt there, and already had the spray can out. I can't count the number of times we have had close calls there, but I do know that there were 3 instances where the owners stood and watched their dogs chase without taking any action.

The property is not visible until the last second because of a row of trees and shrubs that runs along the side of the property all the way to the road. There were a good number of cars parked on the street and I was thinking "oh great, a party, so the dogs will probably be out".

Well now, I reckon that settles it. I'm convinced now. I think I'll shoot my dog and check smoke detectors around the house. I did not realize that owning dogs earned one such a fate.
Old 07-11-11, 10:07 AM
KillerBeagle
Rabid Member

Bikes: 2006 Trek 2100, 1973 Crescent Mark XX, 196x Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well now, I reckon that settles it. I'm convinced now. I think I'll shoot my dog and check smoke detectors around the house. I did not realize that owning dogs earned one such a fate.
My post had only to do with "Einsteins and their pets" and the folks in my post, not with any of your specifics, which I have not been following. I'm sorry if you took it as a message to you.
Old 07-11-11, 11:57 AM
larwyn

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My post had only to do with "Einsteins and their pets" and the folks in my post, not with any of your specifics, which I have not been following. I'm sorry if you took it as a message to you.
No problem, My reply was intended to be tongue in cheek and a bit sarcastic, but no offense was intended or taken on my part. No animals were harmed and the smoke detectors have not been re-tested.

I think I have ceased trying to really make any kind of a point here and simply find the ignorance, arrogance and self entitlement expressed by some members here here to be amusing and entertaining. It's certainly obvious that some here will not waiver on their belief that everyone, dogs, dog owners, motorists and pedestrians included, all are expected to clear the path for the mighty bicyclist. Thankfully, this does not include most.

The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.