Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bibs versus cycling shorts?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bibs versus cycling shorts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-11, 11:56 PM
Shuagster
Boricua Newb Roadie

Bikes: CAAD10 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bengreen79
I just got my first pair of bibs about a week ago when bonktown had some Castelli's for $50. They're a little warmer than shorts. I think the best part was once I got my "organs" in place, there was no adjusting them later. They don't shift around like shorts can.
+1
Old 07-26-11, 02:10 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
There's a reason why people who ride bikes for a living wear bibs. If you don't know the reason stick with shorts. Personally, I have not worn shorts since about the mid-80's. I wouldn't wear shorts on a ride if you gave them to me.
Old 07-26-11, 04:46 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 619 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
There's a reason why people who ride bikes for a living wear bibs. If you don't know the reason stick with shorts. Personally, I have not worn shorts since about the mid-80's. I wouldn't wear shorts on a ride if you gave them to me.
Because their sponsors tell them to. When I raced a lot, we used the sponsors equipment, and when we got caught using something else because it was better, we got yelled at.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-26-11, 05:03 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bought shorts when i first started. later i bought my first pair of bibs. never bought another pair of shorts. never plan to. yes, the bibs are that much better.
Old 07-26-11, 05:10 AM
scirocco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I now have equal numbers of shorts and bibs and wear them 50/50. The bibs do kind of keep everything packaged up more nicely, but the shorts are easier for bathroom breaks.

Personally I don't think there's that much between them, especially if you are skinny and don't have issues with a massive gut or butt causing plumbers crack. You do have to compare apples with apples though; you can't compare $15 bargain pairs of shorts with top-of-the range Assos or Castelli bibs.
Old 07-26-11, 05:32 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Because their sponsors tell them to. When I raced a lot, we used the sponsors equipment, and when we got caught using something else because it was better, we got yelled at.
Clothing manufacturers make both. If a rider wants shorts, they will get them shorts. I rode professionally. Trust me on this.

For example, Nike makes swift bibs and shorts. https://shop.teamradioshack.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=2

If you were a really good rider, not only would you not get yelled at, your mechanic (if you were good enough to be on a team with mechanics) could make the noncomplying part look like the sponsor's model. You can trust me on that too.

Last edited by roadwarrior; 07-26-11 at 05:41 AM.
Old 07-26-11, 11:16 AM
hokie cycler

Bikes: 2018 Giant Stance 1, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2004 LeMond Nevada City, 1980 Peugeot Course single speed, 1978 Peugeot AO-8

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I made the switch to bibs this year and would not go back. The bathroom break issue always come up and It's not that big a deal. I've never had an issue with the straps rubbing. Way more comfortable.
Old 07-26-11, 12:49 PM
AMAlex

Bikes: Felt F60

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rangerdavid
bought shorts when i first started. later i bought my first pair of bibs. never bought another pair of shorts. never plan to. yes, the bibs are that much better.
Same story here. Haven't worn shorts from the day I started wearing bibs. And for those people with the nipple rub issue, rub on a little vaseline, works like magic.
Old 07-26-11, 01:20 PM
marcosbullock
Jinja

Bikes: Giant TCR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's a bit of a stretch that men with long mustaches and sinister chuckles sat in a room together and invented the bib just so we'd have something else to buy. They stay in place better, some have pockets to hold a key or phone or such, and they allow belly breathing much better than shorts. For some the extra convenience is a big deal, for others it's not. Either way, they won't make or break a cyclists career.
Old 07-26-11, 02:19 PM
Socalfriendly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kenji666
This has been covered ad nauseum on here, but I was wondering what is the advantage of bibs over normal cycling shorts? Bibs are more expensive. I am fairly fit, so my shorts stay up. The shoulder straps seem like they'd be uncomfortable. Help me to understand why I should join the bib crowd.
Interesting replies against bibs so far. The bottom line is this: A proper fitting set of bibs are like a proper fitting pair of shoes - Bliss.

The compressive feel of bibs, plus the straps holding it all in place (especially the chamois) cannot be matched by shorts. Restroom concerns are a non-issue, as you just have to learn how to do it. As for "Straps digging in," well, you have the wrong size and brand. You have to try these things before you buy.

I too was part of the riding shorts dogma until I tried a set of bibs. I have never looked back and ride bibs exclusively.

If you are still not convinced of the benefits of bibs for comfortable and long distance riding, ask why all of the Pro Peleton wears them.
Old 07-26-11, 02:35 PM
ddimick

Bikes: 2011 Look 566 Ultegra, 2010 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never felt any discomfort whatsoever from bib straps, and they are more comfortable for me on longer rides. Short rides (<45 miles, for me) it doesn't matter.

There is normally no bio-break issue for dudes. Ladies may have a different opinion.
Old 07-26-11, 03:44 PM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every old guy I've ever run across who thought bibs were stupid had #1 a gut #2 saggy shorts and #3 a nasty hairy back that showed when they got in the drops. If I didn't know better I would think they were closet bent riders.
Old 07-26-11, 03:46 PM
con
Older I get, faster I was

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My take on the subject

I will only ride in bibs, love ‘um.

My old bicycle shorts are now relegated to motorcycle use only; they are great on long tours under riding pants.
Old 07-26-11, 03:49 PM
Vicelord
Banned

Bikes: BMC RoadRacer SL01, Kona Kula FrankensteinDeluxe, Schwinn Powerglide.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
My 1980 Assos had a cord. None of my other 50 pairs did since they invented elastic ..... Maybe that's your waistband problem, cords aren't very forgiving..
I won't wear shorts because I'm afraid of my weiner getting caught in the cord while I'm riding. That's a pain I don't want to experience.
Old 07-26-11, 04:28 PM
Nelson M

Bikes: Cervelo S2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am new to bibs and it's bibs only for me. Whatever you do, getup on your pedals in a climb or sit back after a sprint, you do notneed pull the short to make sure everything is a the right place
Old 07-26-11, 06:47 PM
DC_United_Fan

Bikes: IRO SS / Trek 2.1 / Trek 5.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shouldberiding
Then...why...are you asking?

Here, I'll do the search for you.
This

And This

Originally Posted by Vicelord
I won't wear shorts because I'm afraid of my weiner getting caught in the cord while I'm riding. That's a pain I don't want to experience.
NOT this...that's quite long cord you have going on there...
Old 07-26-11, 08:55 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The last time I wore a pair of my shorts, I wished I had chosen my bibs instead. Especially when I tried to sit back down after getting out of the saddle and the saddle nose caught on the back edge of the chamois/pad.
Old 07-26-11, 09:10 PM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Clothing manufacturers make both. If a rider wants shorts, they will get them shorts. I rode professionally. Trust me on this.

For example, Nike makes swift bibs and shorts. https://shop.teamradioshack.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=2

If you were a really good rider, not only would you not get yelled at, your mechanic (if you were good enough to be on a team with mechanics) could make the noncomplying part look like the sponsor's model. You can trust me on that too.
one thing i've always wondered is how do they fake saddles? like what if a rider's sponsors was fizik, but they only like a san marco regal. Do the sponsors just turn a blind eye to it?
Old 07-26-11, 09:31 PM
sharpsandflatts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shorts are for fat freds with hairy legs

/thread
Old 07-27-11, 02:26 AM
coldehammer

Bikes: Bianchi Axis, De Rosa Merak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I 41st the practice of using bibs. I also never went back to using shorts after I rode with my first pair of bibs. I think it really depends on personal preference and type of riding.

Some of the benefits of bibs I found:

Mile 30: You suck in your flexing abs and feel the wind go between your abs and your front bib panels - pure bliss and self motivation that you're a superhero. (You can never feel that in your shorts, sorry shorties)

Hill Climb: You feel the slight nudge of the suspender panels on your shoulders asking for mercy and your mind goes, HTFU suspenders, feel my wrath!

Mile 52: You're doing high rpms on your charity ride and the cyclist drafting in back of you is slowing down. . .what's wrong? Oh, he/she is adjusting their shorts that's cinching at their waist side. Oh wells, they like wearing shorts. Time to kick my 53t in high gear!

OP, let us know how you decide to roll. . . .
Old 07-27-11, 02:51 PM
clx1

Bikes: COLNAGO CLX AND ENIGMA ECHO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Proper Road cyclists wear Bibs, end of!
Old 07-27-11, 03:49 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6823 Post(s)
Liked 5,538 Times in 3,261 Posts
Originally Posted by clx1
I have stated my preference but this is simply

Incorrect.

There is probably less than a handful of "more" Proper Road cyclists than EventServices participating on this board. He states he prefers shorts. That's not gonna change my mind but his opinion is to be reckoned with. I believe member Homebrew is also a Proper Road cyclist and his stated preference is also for shorts.

This is a matter of personal preference, plain & simple.

As I entered into middle age and my middle expanded shorts were uncomfortable and began to inhibit my riding. Bibs solved this for me. End of!
Old 07-27-11, 03:57 PM
kenji666

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by clx1
I guess that makes me an improper road cyclist.

BTW, I've never had a problem with my shorts falling down, but I also don't have a gut either.
No plumber's a$$ here.
Old 07-27-11, 04:16 PM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Probably been said already, but whatever. I still have my first nice pair of shorts, Specialized Pro Roubaix shorts. 3 years old, still in great shape, and never had any issues when I wore them regularly. Earlier this year i bought a pair of Capo Martello bibs. Haven't worn the shorts outside since, just on the trainer. Bibs are more comfortable, keep everything in place, don't need to be pulled up, and look better IMO. I think that those of you with rubbing issues are wearing the wrong size, or need to try a different manufacture, because the Capo ones are pure comfort. I'll put 'em on, leave to ride a half hour later for a couple hours, get home, cool off, eventually take a shower, and thats when the bibs come off. I honestly can't tell that they are on. No marks on my skin, no shaffed nurps, nothin'.

That all being said, wear shorts if you want, just try to avoid plumbers crack please.
Old 07-27-11, 04:38 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6823 Post(s)
Liked 5,538 Times in 3,261 Posts
Originally Posted by kenji666
I guess that makes me an improper road cyclist.

BTW, I've never had a problem with my shorts falling down, but I also don't have a gut either.
No plumber's a$$ here.
This is all fine. You are probably still quite young and that's very nice but as one grows up sometimes he grows out, too. So keep an open mind.

However you seem to start threads with the answer already in yer head. What's up with that? Why ask the question?

Answer: Trolling or validation.

There's no good answer here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.