Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What is the next generation of CV bikes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What is the next generation of CV bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-11, 08:57 AM
20grit
Curmudgeon in Training

Bikes: 1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 2010 Cannondale Trail SL, 1988 Peugeot Nice, 1992ish Stumpjumper Comp,1990's Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Mountain bikes that represented significant changes in design or those that set standards for design. Some of these are already in the classics realm. Others to follow.
Boutique stuff will always be collectible to some extent.
Road bikes that represented significant changes in design... The early carbon, some of the wackier carbon since. I don't think we'll be seeing the generic carbon stuff that is produced in bulk, but some of the more unique designs will likely fall into classic. The BMC Impec is a recent one that I could see falling into that category. I think it's an awesome bike.
Titanium bikes by innovators in the area. Throw in some oddities like the Colnago Bititanio just for effect.

Perhaps we'll be concentrating more on drive trains than frames. With newer IGH's, CVTs, electronic shifting, etc., I assume we'll have some focus on the ones that made it beyond the gimmick phases of life.
Old 08-22-11, 09:09 AM
stonefree
Icantre Member

Bikes: 2001 DBR Axis TT, 1998 Trek 5500 OCLV, 1993 Trek 1100, 1971 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1972 Gitane Attic Beater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to disparage any of the honorable participants, but C&Ver's may be a vanishing breed.

Case in point would be the Amsterdam sitch. Welcome to the twilight zone.....

https://thisbigcity.net/too-many-bicy...erdam-problem/
Old 08-22-11, 09:31 AM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by stonefree
Not to disparage any of the honorable participants, but C&Ver's may be a vanishing breed.

I somehow do not see this becoming a problem in any American cities anytime soon.

C&V will move ever so slowly towards whatever was popular 20+ years ago,it's no big mystery. Hold onto that Bianchi Pista for about fifteen more years, and it'll regain value. It'll lose it in the next five or ten.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 08-22-11, 09:33 AM
jhoops01

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '82 Trek 614, Cannondale Super V, '80s Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Early Kestrels.
Some aluminum CAAD's.
Trek 520's, again.
The Y-Foil (already a cult fave)
Bianchi Trofeos
Robbie, what in your opinion would make the Bianchi collectable? I've been looking for one in my size recently, just to add to my small, but growing collection.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 08-22-11, 09:43 AM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
First and second generation full suspension mountain bikes.

Any decent MTB with V-brakes and 8 speeds.

Some of the higher quality beach cruisers are more rolling pieces of design exercise than functional bikes. Perfect for collectors.

Fixed and single speed bikes, conversion or purpose-built. You may laugh, but old guys will always buy what they had or wanted as a kid.

Carbon bikes with bigass graphics. Kinda like the car collectors who buy the tailfin monsters of the 50's.
Old 08-22-11, 10:01 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Do you think my 1996 M2 Specialized Stumpjumper will be worth some money? Too busy riding it to care much now, but it would put a smile on my face if it went up in value.

There seems to be a big craze for "transportation" bicycles going on now, I would be you will see people digging these out of dumps in 20 years and selling them on a futuristic craig's list.

I think bikes like Rivendells will be worth quite a lot.
Old 08-22-11, 10:14 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 321 Posts

OK, what's it cost to ship a container here from Amsterdam?
Old 08-22-11, 10:38 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked 856 Times in 388 Posts
C40s for sure will be collectible, they are Colnagos and have a winning history to them.
Old 08-22-11, 11:08 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
C40s for sure will be collectible, they are Colnagos and have a winning history to them.
I'd agree. They are fantastic bikes.

I've been riding a Colnago Extreme Power this summer, and this has to have the stiffest bottom bracket and stays of any bike I've ridden.

Lots of positive comments as well.

I am certainly not worthy, but the bike is, that's for sure.
Old 08-22-11, 11:35 AM
mainstreetexile 
rain dog

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Admittedly, I don't know much about the stuff, but will Carbon Fiber bikes age that well? I thought that cf fatigues as it gets older and used more, doesn't it have a meager possibility of exploding?

My crystal ball indicates that C&V purchasing patterns will be similar in the future to what they are now, people will buy older (current now) high-end stuff from custom builders (Bilenky, Bob Jackson etc) or nice production bikes (Surly, Soma) and the stuff in between (Rivendell).
Old 08-22-11, 12:23 PM
Soma Roark

Bikes: Trek 600 Series, Miyata 610, Palo Alto Touring, Schwinn Paramountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No I think we need to set up an importer!!! We're coming to save you babies... just hang in there...
Me thinks I spy a Gazelle I want in there... which sells for $1K here new. How can they just abandon them...=*( They need one of those underground automatic parking machines from Japan.

Also I'd include Ebisu (I haven't heard anyone mention them) but I've always liked their simplicity. Maybe CV will just have more prominent subgroups. I don't see myself getting into CF at all, and probably not much other than steel, and lugged for sure. I was perusing the "gas-pipe" thread and really liked the Gazelle/Raleigh DL-1/and I forgot something else, those black mixte-ish city bikes. Surprised to see that the Gazelle was made in the late 90s and still in production today.

Last edited by Soma Roark; 08-22-11 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-22-11, 10:18 PM
fuji86

Bikes: 1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 2015 Bianchi Kuma 27.2 24 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Down the road, and it's just my opinion, it's a matter of what type of bike ? For road bikes, steel lugged frames continue to be the C&V. If carbon or aluminum frames last to be in ride-able condition maybe C&V because of materials ? Mountain bikes, anything that is rigid forks and hardtail. The trouble with road bikes today, if it's steel, the tubes aren't welded together to be anything special on cheap Chinese bikes, that unless the weld was dressed to be a fluid and consistent seamless beautiful weld. Anything else would be a frame that the bike is meant to be repaired and ridden until those parts are worn out, more function, do the welds still hold together to ride it ? With today's road bikes, I reason and would think aluminum with exceptionally consistent welds would be considered C&V, as carbon has planned obsolescence built into the frame material ? Personally I wouldn't ride carbon on anything but a freshly paved asphalt road if I were trying to keep it beautiful for 25+ years down the road if it were ever going to be a C&V ? Carbon frame couldn't have scratches, chips and nicks in it. Aluminum, that would have to be pristine, almost virgin too. Steel stands the test of time, just looking at the pics here on the forums, there have been literally rusty anchors restored into gorgeous C&V bikes. I'm not so certain one could do that with a slightly damaged carbon or aluminum frame ? The lugged frame eliminates a weld having to be uniform and superior in appearance. Today's bikes with their welds, that's almost like saying nice scar on a Super Model, just doesn't work when you're scrutinizing something for flawlessness, mastery of workmanship. I have 4 bikes, an 86 lugged Fuji, the bike in comparison to everything I bought after it is like comparing a Monet/Da Vinci to a paint by numbers Britto. I don't know if anyone is familiar with how Britto does his paintings, but he draws out the shapes and then turns it over to $ 15/hour painters that are probably in between construction jobs, repainting drywall in apartments, literally the old paint by number products.

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/2010-06...-trump-talent/

The 1997 Fuji MX-200 and 2003 Haro Backtrail X1 have nicely dressed and uniform welds for budget bikes, but the 2010 Vilano SS/FG, well, it was slapped together, quick and dirty to be sold for whatever it would go for ? I'm not as concerned about the Vilano for relative beauty, quality or longevity, it's purely functional. And the day I have to replace wheel hubs or bottom bracket, that might be the day when I spend more fixing it than the bike is worth ? The particular Vilano I bought claims to be chromoly frame with a steel fork, but as ugly as the welds are, I can't imagine it being a chromoly frame. Hi ten steel ? That makes more sense to weld it hastily. I could literally see a kid riding it until it wore out and would go no further and then getting off of it and leaving it where it dropped/died and catching a bus the rest of the way to the destination. Well it's not that bad, but the way some feel about a Wal-Mart bike, those people understand what I'm talking about. I'd never litter the environment with the Vilano, as long as it's repairable and if it wasn't, well, at least make an effort to leave it by a big green dumpster in case someone else could rescue it ?
Old 08-22-11, 11:32 PM
javal

Bikes: Monark sportser 1970, Monark sportser 1970ish, Monark folder, Mustand 1985, Monark Tempo 1999, Monark 318 1975, Crescent 319 1979, Crescent 325 c:a 1965, Crescent Starren 2002 (hybrid/sport), Nordstjernan 1960`s cruiser.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tugrul
I don't really keep records of these things, but it feels like STI road bikes from the 1990s rarely show up on craigslist.

I don't know if hybrids wiped out a segment of the drop bar market, or if they are still in use, or if they just haven't hung in the garages long enough.

Once the 1980s entrench themselves as C&V, I'm not sure what there is to move on to.
I think thats already ongoing. The 90´s frames with modern build-up are serious performance bikes.
Old 08-23-11, 12:00 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
haha, someday fixies will be C&V
Old 08-23-11, 06:35 AM
strock 

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think it's partly a question of what we grow up with -- the nostalgia factor, if you will. And it's partly a question of scarcity, which depends to some extent on what changes are made in materials and design. If Scwhinn were still producing Varsinentals and Paramounts, for example, the same bikes from previous decades might not command the attention that they currently do. So, I think a lot will depend on whether or not -- and if so, how -- future bikes and components differ from those produced today and in the recent past.
Old 08-23-11, 07:14 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 1,065 Times in 545 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying Merkel
Carbon bikes with bigass graphics. Kinda like the car collectors who buy the tailfin monsters of the 50's.
I see these in the same view as we look at the outrageous "Miami Vice" colors of the late 1980s. But I agree, that whatever is popular now, but maybe out of reach cost-wise, will be popular with collectors in the future, as they attain more disposable income and try to recapture their youth. After all, how many of the threads here start out with "I always wanted one of these when I was a kid, but couldn't afford it..."?
Old 08-23-11, 07:50 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
I see these in the same view as we look at the outrageous "Miami Vice" colors of the late 1980s. But I agree, that whatever is popular now, but maybe out of reach cost-wise, will be popular with collectors in the future, as they attain more disposable income and try to recapture their youth. After all, how many of the threads here start out with "I always wanted one of these when I was a kid, but couldn't afford it..."?
And that latter point will always outweigh our pro-lugged steel bigotry. Collectors always start with what they wanted, but couldn't have, in their youth. Which means carbon fiber bikes.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 08-23-11, 07:59 AM
horribleoldman

Bikes: Somec Promax, Philips 3-Speed, Spec. Crux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The following will be sought out by New England collectors, heck some already are. The millage in your locale will vary.
Indy Fab
Seven
Merlin
Fat Chance
Peter Mooney
Ant Bikes
Geek House
Igleheart
Hot Tubes
Rhygin
Old 08-23-11, 09:04 AM
RavingManiac

Bikes: 90 Raleigh Chill MTB, 92 Trek 1200, 2004 Trek 2300, 67 Sports, 70 Sports, 71 Philips, Lotus Challenger, 74 Super Course, Univega Gran Tourismo, Nishiki Seral

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ftwelder
Anything that is popular now will be collectable then. If it's still around.
If it's still around may be the most significant factor. I know nothing about CF, is there a natural degradation that occurs over time rendering these frames useless in the future?
Old 08-23-11, 09:45 AM
mapleleafs-13 

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto, Pinarello Montello, Bianchi Celeste

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz

I would definitely want one of these!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COLNAGO-C40-...#ht_929wt_1153
Old 08-23-11, 09:03 PM
Soma Roark

Bikes: Trek 600 Series, Miyata 610, Palo Alto Touring, Schwinn Paramountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Although when people talk about the resurgence of city bikes, they seem to be all made of steel at the very least, and are modeled after the Dutch production bikes (Public bikes come to mind), and relatively affordable. If that gets people to think about steel again, maybe we're in for another golden age... and perhaps CV won't really change that much... (wishful thinking). Anyway, as mentioned before, an Ebisu by Jitensha Studio... me likey.

Old 08-23-11, 09:25 PM
cbresciani

Bikes: Colnago C40 HP, De Rosa-Primato, Titus Ti FCR, MOOTS YBB-SL, Pogliaghi Pista

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleleafs-13
I would definitely want one of these!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COLNAGO-C40-...#ht_929wt_1153
That bike is sweet!
Old 08-23-11, 11:02 PM
sillygolem
No Money and No Sense

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RavingManiac
If it's still around may be the most significant factor. I know nothing about CF, is there a natural degradation that occurs over time rendering these frames useless in the future?
Epoxies in CF can break down from UV exposure and humidity, which means if you leave one outside it will eventually break down. A bike stored inside will last a very long time. Some CF is now vintage, and most of the problems associated with it are from poor construction techniques at the time rather than the material itself.

Also, there's a huge push to develop CF manufacturing which may bring it down to the price of steel. Maybe in 20 years aluminum will be collectible because it will be obsolete.
Old 08-24-11, 02:01 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
My choice is any Trek Madone with USPS colors. I know they made a ton of them but it represents a piece of American history.

(edit)

Almost forgot to say, as you can see from my signature I'm into steel. I like the Trek not because it's CF but what it represents.
Old 08-24-11, 05:43 AM
kingsting
Bicycle Repairman

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
English three-speeds and roadsters have been quietly gaining in popularity over the last 5 or so years. Has anybody else noticed all the Dutch bikes, especially loop-frame ladies bikes that have been showing up in droves in magazine, internet, and television ads lately?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.