Insanity Happens...

Bikes: Trek 1.5T

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Indiana - Hilly Hundred

Anyone doing the hilly this year?

I'm debating going for it despite my lack of seat time. Any advice to help me get ready?
Old 08-12-11, 08:17 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Linky?
Old 08-12-11, 12:39 PM
the_goob
Insanity Happens...

Bikes: Trek 1.5T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://tinyurl.com/3exjjly
Old 08-22-11, 04:40 PM
1991318is1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the hilly doesn't have to be a brutal ride a lot of people go just to have a good time , that's what i plan on doing . im new to road so is my buddy im taking so we are going to take it easy and camp.
Old 08-24-11, 02:24 PM
DyingBreed

Bikes: 2000 Cannondale R800 Triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there will be many riders there, a real variety of people and riders and skills. The scenary is awesome!
Old 08-27-11, 12:39 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Linky?
https://www.hillyhundred.org/

I'm registered - starting riding them in 1976 and have missed only a few.
Will be riding my long wheelbase 'bent with a friend on Saturday and on Sunday will share our 'bent tandem with my stoker/wife. She's volunteering at the lunch SAG on Saturday. Our friend will be with us both days.
I won't be surprised if we walk Mt. Tabor on Sunday. Lots and lots and lots of folks walking up hills at the Hilly, especially Mt. Tabor.
Multiple SAGS with live music and refreshments (including a tasty lunch both days).
This is a very Hilly ride! And great fun.
Old 08-27-11, 07:04 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Gearing.
Old 08-29-11, 09:10 AM
Consularrider

Bikes: Surly Pugsley, Jamis Renegade, Kona Rove, Salsa Pistola, Raleigh M60, Raleigh Sport Touring Team USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've signed up. Rode it three years (1985, 1986 and 1987), then left town. Came back to ride in 2006, but missed it due to illess. I was just in Bloomington checking out riding from the southwest side to Ellettsville for the start. Should give me a pair of 75 mile days. I got the miles and hills in this year, so should be in fairly good shape.
Old 08-30-11, 02:00 PM
skol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its a blast - sign up now for motivation! Then get riding .SAGS are great and come up often..just take your time and have fun
Old 09-02-11, 09:06 AM
tjspahr
My leg made the cover!

Bikes: Trek, Arbourne, BMC, Orbea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@ the_**** - I never really considered the Hilly as a ride to "train" for. If you can't make it up a hill(s), walk it. Just follow proper riding etiquette, which is outlined before you can pick up your registration packet.

The danger isn't the hills. The danger is the number of "occasional" riders that show up, make stupid moves, have no clue how to handle a bike regardless of the number of people around them, and that are totally oblivious to their surrondings.

That's what makes me not want to do it.
Old 09-11-11, 04:45 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My son and I are signed up. We are Hilly Hundred virgins.
Old 05-28-12, 06:31 PM
vanwormer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The Hilly is wonderful! Did my first one at 65 when I retired. My granddaughter challenged me to keep up with her. What a blast.
Old 05-28-12, 07:33 PM
Indy_Rider
Banned

Bikes: 2000 Fisher Paragon, 2005 Giant OCR2, 2006 Bianchi SASS, numerous others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspahr
@ the_**** - I never really considered the Hilly as a ride to "train" for. If you can't make it up a hill(s), walk it. Just follow proper riding etiquette, which is outlined before you can pick up your registration packet.

The danger isn't the hills. The danger is the number of "occasional" riders that show up, make stupid moves, have no clue how to handle a bike regardless of the number of people around them, and that are totally oblivious to their surrondings.

That's what makes me not want to do it.
So basically a tougher version of the Indianapolis NITE ride. Will mark this ride off my list of ones to do then.

RAIN is one that is on my list, one of these days. That one, I think you probably want to train for.
https://www.bloomingtonbicycleclub.org/events.php

Last edited by Indy_Rider; 05-28-12 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-05-12, 12:58 PM
mattntp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode my first hilly last year, and didn't walk a hill. I went into it with over 2000 miles ridden last season. It was challenging, but not as hard as I had expected. Don't be scared to go, you will have plenty of company if you do have to walk any hills.
Old 06-05-12, 08:25 PM
tjspahr
My leg made the cover!

Bikes: Trek, Arbourne, BMC, Orbea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Indy_Rider
So basically a tougher version of the Indianapolis NITE ride. Will mark this ride off my list of ones to do then.

RAIN is one that is on my list, one of these days. That one, I think you probably want to train for.
https://www.bloomingtonbicycleclub.org/events.php
I've honestly never done the NITE ride. All my friends do it, and it seems like they have fun, but I think that is in large part to the "pre-ride" festivities...relaxing and chilling with cycling buds. I'm a little less interested since they have moved the start from Major Taylor Velodrome to IUPUI. I liked the idea of having ride like this that also served double duty in promoting different aspects of cycling.

With respect to RAIN, "training" really depends on what you want to do. If you want to finish high, a personal SAG is a must. If you want to be with the fastest group, it is almost going to mandate you take hand-ups from the SAG. It's fun and challenging, and for me was always about beating the previous time. You need to be comfortable riding in a pack, because I'd estimate 100-150 riders stay together for the first 50 or so miles, and you will be averaging 25-28 mph. The cool thing is that you will do almost no work for that 2 hours. The worst part is getting around Indy...traffic, stop lights, crappy pavement. Once you get back on 40 (around New Palestine or Greenfield), it's flat, straight, and relatively good pavement...

If you do it, it's definitely worth staying at St. Mary's. It's cheap, the rooms are decent, and you aren't running all over the place to get to the start. BTW, start placement is critical if you want to be in the fast group. If you aren't near the front at the start, it's going to be almost impossible to fight your way up there. Plan to be at the line an hour before the start if you want to be with the initial lead group.
Old 06-05-12, 09:37 PM
SwampDude

Bikes: All Treks - fitness and road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done the Hilly lots of time, so I know of what I speak. It is a challenging, downright daunting 2 days for anyone NOT in decent bicycling shape. Yet, it is one of the most fun, rewarding 100 miles you'll ever do if the weather is clear. I've completed the Hilly with little training, and it almost did me in. I've done it in very good shape, and it was pleasantly difficult. The hills are endless, and several of them will test your climbing legs a bunch. If you've logged lots of miles, it will be a great experience.

Put in enough miles for the legs to be in good shape. Ride a triple crank if you have one, and a 'granny' gear on the cassette will make Mt. Tabor and Greasy Creek much easier. The hard-core guys/gals ride double crank flat land bikes and barely grunt as their pace line humms by (passing without warning, of course).

The sags are top notch, as are the lunches. Live music, thousands of cyclists of every size, shape and description riding every kind of bike imaginable make the Hilly a super event. The Saturday night 'assembly' with entertainment and a slide show of pics taken throughout the day is a blast. Motels fill up early, so make reservations in Bloomington now!
Old 06-05-12, 09:48 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 1,110 Posts
The Hilly is a party on wheels. It's extremely well organized and supported. It's a weekend to enjoy watching other cyclists, enjoy fall weather, and use your summer of cycling to get over the hills. It's not a place to go if you're going to be annoyed to share the road with thousands of cyclists of all abilities.

Lunch Saturday traditionally features fried chicken and ice cream - that pretty much says it all.