Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

I tell ya, we don't get no respect.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

I tell ya, we don't get no respect.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-11, 01:55 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4315 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 971 Posts
Originally Posted by SBRDude
That's not accurate. Poor people tend to pay a higher percentage of their income on consumption taxes than higher income earners, but they do not pay the "brunt" of all consumption taxes.
"Brunt" an appropriate word. They might not pay the most in absolute terms but this means that poor people will experience the worst result of an increase.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...w=1280&bih=687

The worst part or chief impact of a specified thing
Old 09-28-11, 02:00 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Hippiebrian
and to state that gas must be subsidized and kept inexpensive becaust the poor NEED cheap gas is, in my opinion,
No one is stating this.

however getting the infrastructure for the poor (and everyone else) to be able to quit the oil habit is the ONLY real answer
There you go. Most people who say raise gas taxes don't seem to realize that something else also needs to be done at the same time.

Though, it still might be cheaper to subsidize fuel prices!

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-28-11 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-28-11, 02:09 PM
SBRDude
Godfather of Soul

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex, 2010 Specialized Tricross Expert,2008 Gary Fischer Hi Fi Carbon, 2002 Specialized S-Works hard tail, 1990 Kestrel KM 40

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mnemia
I have to somewhat disagree with this particular part of your post, though my disagreement probably hinges mainly on what you mean by "quick and easy".
I know I wasn't clear, but I was referring to the idea of taxing the "hell" out of gas in an effort to discourage driving, which as suggested by the member I was quoting in an earlier post.
Old 09-28-11, 02:11 PM
Hippiebrian

Bikes: Raleigh Sojourn, '67 Raleigh Super Course, old Gary Fisher Mamba, and a generic Chinese folder

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
No one is stating this.

There you go. Most people who say raise gas taxes don't seem to realize that something else also needs to be done at the same time.

Though, it still might be cheaper to subsidize fuel prices!
Actually, though not directlly everyone who says that the poor NEED to be able to afford to drive is saying this.
Old 09-28-11, 02:13 PM
SBRDude
Godfather of Soul

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex, 2010 Specialized Tricross Expert,2008 Gary Fischer Hi Fi Carbon, 2002 Specialized S-Works hard tail, 1990 Kestrel KM 40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Brunt" an appropriate word. They might not pay the most in absolute terms but this means that poor people will experience the worst result of an increase.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...w=1280&bih=687
The word is fine, but the way you used it originally was inaccurate. Your comment is now more accurate.

Also, it would do you well to pay more attention to what you write instead of the pretentious inclusion of google searches as a pretense for distracting your earlier misstatement. Good grief.
Old 09-28-11, 03:11 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
So, raising prices by choice without trying doing something else to help poor people is the same as something that happens outside of one's control? Really?
It was already stated that there would be allowances for the truly needy. Raising the tax on burning oil for basic transportation would allow us to better modulate the price shocks we are subject to now, which hurts everybody starting with the poor.

As the price of oil increases, less money is left to spend in other areas of the economy and those people suffer losses in income and jobs. This blow to the economy reduces demand for oil, allowing prices to drop slightly or hold steady, giving consumers little incentive to make any changes to their oil burning lifestyle, and leaves us in the same fix. Eventually, prices do / will continue to rise, and the cycle repeats. We need a plan to get ourselves off oil!

These price shocks are what hurt us the most, since they deter people from making any changes to the status quo, leaving us quite unprepared for the future without cheap oil. The money taken in could also be used to fund the development of alternatives, and offer incentives for using them, helping us make a smoother transition.
Old 09-28-11, 04:39 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Right. But instead of preparing for the inevitable, many would rather we fight (sometimes even militarily) to keep gas prices as low as possible right now, in an effort to avoid even the slightest immediate pain. So, instead of making gradual changes to our transportation choices and habits, (which for many folks means driving oversized gas powered vehicles for every little trip, often with only the driver on board) we risk setting ourselves up for a much more painful situation as the flow of CHEAP oil continues to peter out.
Every time I point this out to anyone, I get called an idiot. It's amazing how many people firmly believe that we are ENTITLED to our current lifestyle, and that God will never let us run out of oil.

Sigh.
Old 09-28-11, 04:54 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trust me, after paying the ex wife I'm poor. I have also been homeless, and in the early 90's was making 13,000 a year and owned no car. I made sure I lived close enough to walk (at the time).

I currently do not drive, and haven't for almost a year now. No one NEEDS to drive. Also, no one needs to make assumptions about anyone because they might not happen to agree with what they post.

Just sayin'.
Go figure

....and drivers', not just of gas-guzzling SUVs', but all motorized vehicles, call cyclists' elitist. There is something really messed up about that.

I have NEVER driven a car. At first, it was just because of my health. But after finally convincing the state medical board to approve my wanting to take a drivers' test, I did a complete about-face. I scoff at those that are too lazy to go anywhere without driving to their destination.

If the public transportation infrastructure is weak, living near it won't do much good.
Old 09-28-11, 04:55 PM
njkayaker

Also, it would do you well to pay more attention to what you write instead of the pretentious inclusion of google
searches as a pretense for distracting your earlier misstatement. Good grief.
Talk about pretentious! Sheesh. What is wrong with you?

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-28-11 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-28-11, 05:24 PM
njkayaker

It was already stated that there would be allowances for the truly needy.
As far as I recall, no one actually said there would be any sort of "allowances". The best we got was that they would be able to use whatever public transportation might exist. That is, people were specific about raising gas taxes and quite vague on anything else.
Old 09-28-11, 08:07 PM
SBRDude
Godfather of Soul

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talk about pretentious! Sheesh. What is wrong with you?
Now, that's funny. Good one.
Old 09-28-11, 08:15 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

As far as I recall, no one actually said there would be any sort of "allowances". The best we got was that they would be able to use whatever public transportation might exist. That is, people were specific about raising gas taxes and quite vague on anything else.
Sure they have, try to keep up boy!

My preference would be to raise gas taxes and then offset the hit taken by the poor in some other way. We could lower payroll taxes to match the "average" consumption tax paid by someone, for example. Or we could just go for a full negative income tax below certain incomes. So there are plenty of ways we could reduce this problem of consumption taxes being overly regressive...
That's why some favor a larger tax on driving. (which could have allowances for the poor) It makes changing ones gas burning habits more appealing, and the money could go towards funding development of alternatives.
Actually, with a properly implemented program low income drivers would be better off than they are with our present system, where no matter how much fuel costs go up, they get squat.
Old 09-28-11, 08:54 PM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You nailed it when you used the word "fluff."
Buffaloans know they will be under snow 3-4 months out of the year. Then there is the mud and muck season to contend with... you don't expect them to actually take bikes seriously, do you?
Old 09-29-11, 04:23 AM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dahut
Buffaloans know they will be under snow 3-4 months out of the year. Then there is the mud and muck season to contend with... you don't expect them to actually take bikes seriously, do you?
Why not? I do. The problem as stated was that gas prices are too high. So we have 8-9 months of cycling weather. One can easily cut 66-75% of their gasoline bill by cycling. Solves the issue of paying too much for gas quite nicely.
Old 09-29-11, 06:21 AM
njkayaker

Sure they have, try to keep up boy!
Some people didn't at all. People often make the "raise gas taxes" suggestion without any apparent clue that there could be problems doing that. It might be better if they looked a bit deeper.

============

Originally Posted by GraysonPeddie
I'd say force the $7/gallon of gas down every drivers' throats and let them complain for 2 years. How's that?
No suggestion that the problem might be more complicated than that.

What about poor people who have to drive?
Here's where the problem starts in this country. No one HAS to drive. Owning a car is a luxury or a convienience at best, not a requirement. Until we start treating it as such, the problem will continue.

Once the poor (that's most of us as, let's face it, there really isn't much of a middle class anymore) quit driving and start putting pressure on the public transportation and cycling infrastructures, the emphasis will always be where the money is, in the auto and oil industries.

We really need to get rid of oil subsidies and tax the he...double hockey sticks out of gasoline in order to get people out of their cars. If we can pry their fat a$$es out of the seats, that is...
This is better but it's a similar idea of "just let people suffer" for some indeterminate period (and things will magically improve).

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-29-11 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-29-11, 07:21 AM
Hippiebrian

Bikes: Raleigh Sojourn, '67 Raleigh Super Course, old Gary Fisher Mamba, and a generic Chinese folder

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dahut
Take bikes seriously in the summer, take public transportation seriously in the winter...problem solved.
Old 09-29-11, 07:59 AM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
meh. In our current political climate, it is far more likely the gas tax will be done away with entirely than raised.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 09-29-11, 08:23 AM
SBRDude
Godfather of Soul

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take bikes seriously in the summer, take public transportation seriously in the winter...problem solved.
What do you do with the public transportation system in the summer when everyone is riding their bike? Still pay those employees? Still drive those polluting buses around town without passengers?
Old 09-29-11, 08:31 AM
No Whey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gcottay
It's not news, just television.
+1
Old 09-29-11, 08:35 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Originally Posted by Poguemahone
meh. In our current political climate, it is far more likely the gas tax will be done away with entirely than raised.
Agreed. Short term “solutions” are popular even if the cost to our future well being may be great.
Old 09-29-11, 08:56 AM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mithrandir
Why not? I do. The problem as stated was that gas prices are too high. So we have 8-9 months of cycling weather. One can easily cut 66-75% of their gasoline bill by cycling. Solves the issue of paying too much for gas quite nicely.
But you had it right initially - cycling is the Rodney Dangerfield of transportation. What, 1% of commuters are on bikes? Maybe less? Something like that.
Alright, you take it seriously. I get that. But odds are, not enough of the right people do. We'll deal with gas prices in a myriad of ways, or move to anything but cycling. Its gonna be a last resort for Americans.

I know you were being tongue in cheek at the outset, but we pretty much knew the truth.
Old 09-29-11, 12:23 PM
mnemia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do you do with the public transportation system in the summer when everyone is riding their bike? Still pay those employees? Still drive those polluting buses around town without passengers?
Public transportation and bikes are complementary solutions, not competing ones. Intermodal transit (e.g., bikes on buses or trains, or lots of convenient secure bike parking at train stations) is a great way to greatly extend the range of bikes without having to run public transit lines everywhere. People could bike a mile or less to a transit line from their houses and then bike a similar distance on the other end to their workplace. This would work quite well if public transit systems were more developed in more place in the U.S. And there is no reason people can't bike short distances in the winter, especially with bike infrastructure that is actually maintained well (ie, not just used as a snow storage area when roads are cleared).
Old 09-29-11, 12:31 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Public transportation and bikes are complementary solutions, not competing ones. Intermodal transit (e.g., bikes on buses or trains, or lots of convenient secure bike parking at train stations) is a great way to greatly extend the range of bikes without having to run public transit lines everywhere. People could bike a mile or less to a transit line from their houses and then bike a similar distance on the other end to their workplace. This would work quite well if public transit systems were more developed in more place in the U.S. And there is no reason people can't bike short distances in the winter, especially with bike infrastructure that is actually maintained well (ie, not just used as a snow storage area when roads are cleared).
Amen to that.

I tried to use our local train system to augment my cycling range a few years ago, only to discover that the last evening train only ran right at 5:30... I typically work until 6:00. Even if I tried to catch the first train to work, and left with the last train, I still could not put in 8 hours, and this wasn't even leaving time for me to bike commute from the office to the station... talk about messed up system. Public transit in the US is really often a joke, so some politician can "check off the box," while driving to their office.
Old 09-29-11, 12:40 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
Go figure

....and drivers', not just of gas-guzzling SUVs', but all motorized vehicles, call cyclists' elitist. There is something really messed up about that.

Much of the elitist reputation is deserved. Just look at how many people here say they want "$10 gas" to discourage driving, usually via gas taxes. As if giving money to the Feds encourages them to spend it more wisely.

We have been in the process or slowly adjusting our transportation matrix for amost 4 decades now..with smaller cars, better fuel efficiency, multimodal shipping; and i don't see this process stopping anytime soon. Our overall energy efficiency has improved as well, such that our energy bill is now a much smaller %age of GDP than it was decades ago. This process will also continue.
Old 09-29-11, 12:48 PM
mnemia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Amen to that.

I tried to use our local train system to augment my cycling range a few years ago, only to discover that the last evening train only ran right at 5:30... I typically work until 6:00. Even if I tried to catch the first train to work, and left with the last train, I still could not put in 8 hours, and this wasn't even leaving time for me to bike commute from the office to the station... talk about messed up system. Public transit in the US is really often a joke, so some politician can "check off the box," while driving to their office.
Agreed. It certainly has to run frequently, at convenient times, and reliably in order for people to see it as a viable alternative. That means that it a) has to have a critical mass of people for whom driving is NOT more convenient, and b) a good chunk of upfront investment before the ticket money starts rolling in. It's sort of like how roads wouldn't be so useful or so utilized if they didn't go everywhere: you have to have a certain critical mass in place before the utility of the system greatly increases. Unfortunately, a lot of U.S. public transit systems aren't treated that way: if they don't immediately make money, they cut back on service, etc, which causes them to become less useful and lose more money, etc. Having lived in Japan and used their train + bike system, what we have here is indeed a joke in comparison.

Americans, I believe, would gladly utilize public transit, if public transit were better, nicer, and more convenient. Especially if the alternative is spending an hour in a freeway traffic jam every day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.