Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

How to train your motorists not to kill you

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

How to train your motorists not to kill you

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-11, 01:34 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quite frankly, unless a motorist also rides a bike, they are untrainable.
Old 09-29-11, 01:45 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by scotton
So here is how I have won the hearts and minds on my local routes. It's called the smile and wave. It's pretty simple. When a motorist is coming towards you, or at a cross street waiting for you to cross, take your left hand off of the bars, extend it up to approximately ... etc
One of the things that grabs me every once in awhile. I'll hear a honking behind me, some yelling and an engine revving. I think here we go again, someone hassling me for no reason, and I raise my hand and give a half-hearted wave simply because it's better than any other reaction I can think of. Then as the automobile passes I see the passenger - often a young adult - with a big grin and thumbs up and sometimes another whoop. It happens too many times to be an aberration and it's always a vast relief that I hadn't reacted in some more grouchy manner. I honestly don't know if they simply switched countenance or were exuberant from the beginning, but in the final analysis it just doesn't matter.
Old 09-29-11, 01:58 PM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
.......Do you shave your legs to make yourself more "aero"?....
You don't shave your legs to make yourself more "aero"... (If you do you don't have a clue...)

You shave your legs to keep the hairs from pulling out more skin and tissue, otherwise great post.
Old 09-29-11, 01:59 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
Actually, from talking with a nurse a while back. That is just a myth, the hair on one's legs (male) will keep bacteria, etc. out. And make for longer healing times. Don't believe me call or drop into your neighborhood clinic and ask them.
You are saying that the hair is good? Not sure with your statement there.

However one thing I'd like to introduce to support the healing aspect of shaved legs is the fact that before any invasive surgery, one is "prep'ed," which usually includes shaving the area about to undergo that surgery.

For the record, I don't shave my legs... heck, I don't even shave my face.
Old 09-29-11, 02:11 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by SBRDude
Lots of assumptions here. People don't know their neighbors very well. People are going to the same place. People have the same schedules. People don't already try to be neighborly and helpful, carpool, etc. Public transportation is available. People don't already plan trips to do errands all in one shot instead of running in and out all day long from their house.
I'd say a few assumptions have been made, sure; but then again there is some basis for these assumptions... There are a lot of SOVs on the road, and folks indeed don't know their neighbors today as they may have in the past when it was more common to "share the load" for things like grocery runs... We do this only with our closest neighbor... so we do benefit a bit from that sharing. And I have to admit that my wife DOES go out, get something come back and go out again... she often doesn't consider the time and fuel expended on her errands. I tend to think the other way, due to a need to more efficiently use my limited time and effort on a bike. No doubt there are others like my wife... the classic "take the kids to school" shuffle is a great example... often school is not that far away, why not bike with the kids to school... opps have to use the car.

The fact is that we are an auto centric society in the US, and NOT thinking of using the car is counter to the convenience that is built in to so much of our environment by that auto centric design. But the other fact is that the resources to continue this modality are limited... yet, as a society, we treat them as if they are endless.
Old 09-29-11, 02:17 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
You are saying that the hair is good? Not sure with your statement there.

However one thing I'd like to introduce to support the healing aspect of shaved legs is the fact that before any invasive surgery, one is "prep'ed," which usually includes shaving the area about to undergo that surgery.

For the record, I don't shave my legs... heck, I don't even shave my face.
Yes, legs, etc. are shaved prior to surgery, but that is more so that the doctor can see what they're working on.
Old 09-29-11, 02:19 PM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Actually, from talking with a nurse a while back. That is just a myth, the hair on one's legs (male) will keep bacteria, etc. out. And make for longer healing times. Don't believe me call or drop into your neighborhood clinic and ask them
After several dozen, dozen crashes on the asphalt and the dirt I can state unequivically that that nurses head is up her ass. Without the hair you will sustain less skin and tissue loss, and you will heal quicker. 40+ years of personal experience trumps quasi-professional comments. And if you want to get confirmation, call any Pro rider and not some "healthcare professional" who probably has been afraid of bicycles since she was three......
Old 09-29-11, 02:21 PM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+100

If a motorist waits for me to cross an intersection I'll give them a wave, smile and a thank you.
I agree 100% as well. I often will take 10-25 mile walks as well, and when even someone yields right of way to me I nod my head in "Thanks", and often these same people will pull over when passing me in the future and offer me a ride. Sometimes I will even accept the ride for a mile or two to take the opportunity to speak with them and introduce myself. I have made dozens of friends this way.
Old 09-29-11, 02:34 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'd say a few assumptions have been made, sure; but then again there is some basis for these assumptions... There are a lot of SOVs on the road, and folks indeed don't know their neighbors today as they may have in the past when it was more common to "share the load" for things like grocery runs... We do this only with our closest neighbor... so we do benefit a bit from that sharing. And I have to admit that my wife DOES go out, get something come back and go out again... she often doesn't consider the time and fuel expended on her errands. I tend to think the other way, due to a need to more efficiently use my limited time and effort on a bike. No doubt there are others like my wife... the classic "take the kids to school" shuffle is a great example... often school is not that far away, why not bike with the kids to school... opps have to use the car.

The fact is that we are an auto centric society in the US, and NOT thinking of using the car is counter to the convenience that is built in to so much of our environment by that auto centric design. But the other fact is that the resources to continue this modality are limited... yet, as a society, we treat them as if they are endless.
Agreed, sadly I only know 3 or 4 of my neighbors in the building that I live in. Today sadly is different from when a lot of us were kids. Where we as kids knew every kid in the neighborhood and usually played with them. And the parents knew each other. Today where even though the kids may or may not know each other the adults more often then not don't know each other. Other then maybe to wave as they pass each other in the hall/breezeway parking lot. IF they do that much. Sadly in the world that we live in today everyone is in a hurry to get where they're going as quickly as they can and to hell with anyone that they may meet.

Exactly, most of the cars that pass me on my ride are SOV's. And even if most of them are not going to the exact same places there still really isn't any reason that those people who live close to each other can't double up and carpool.

My maternal grandmother was one of those people. If a store across town had something that she wanted and they charged $0.05 less then the store right down the street from her. Instead of walking to that store she'd get in her car and drive across town to "save" that $0.05. Not taking into consideration that she would end up spending more driving her car then she "saved."

Agreed, as has been suggested not only in the thread with Bike Tennessee Mom being harassed by her local police/elected officials about allowing her daughter to ride her bike one mile by herself to and from school. Schools should be encouraging students and parents to bike to school.

Exactly, how many commercials do we see that tell people that they "need" a car to be a mature, productive adult. Or what about the Mazda "Zoom, Zoom" commercials? Aren't they telling their customers that "hey if you buy a Mazda you can go really fast?" Again, exactly, do we really need 4+ lane, high speed "highways" connecting one side of town to the other? Do we really need to have high speed roads anywhere within the city limits? Why can't the high speed roads be left to the interstate system and the lower speed limits within city limits?
Old 09-29-11, 03:14 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Most excellent troll. You just made this roadie cry.
Old 09-29-11, 03:32 PM
SBRDude
Godfather of Soul

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex, 2010 Specialized Tricross Expert,2008 Gary Fischer Hi Fi Carbon, 2002 Specialized S-Works hard tail, 1990 Kestrel KM 40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I live in a neighborhood that takes me about 7-10 minutes to get to the nearest shopping areas, and since I am too lazy and bored to make several trips to stores, I usually wait until I can run a few errands and then do them all at once. But, I often have a relatively tight schedule and I seriously doubt I could share shopping trips with any of my neighbors. On the other hand, since I am a little league coach and some of the kids are in my neighborhood, I do try to take some of them with me so their parents won't have to make unnecessary trips (the other parent can then pick them up on their way home or I can bring them back, but parents usually want to watch the kids play). Where I live, it's not feasible for kids to ride to the schools - the roads are winding, hilly, and have no shoulder. I am an experienced rider and feel comfortable riding there, but I wouldn't want kids to do it, especially not young ones. As far as knowing my neighbors, of course I don't know them all, but I know a lot of them and one of the reasons I like living where I do is because of the community. There is zero public transportation where I live and none nearby. My guess is that you'd have to go about 2 or 3 miles to find a bus, at a minimum.

Anyway, we could argue about this all night, but I just get tired of the self-righteous rhetoric used by some people (not you) to bash situations they really don't even understand. Sure, there are lots of stupid and lazy suburbanites, but there are also a lot of idiot cyclists and it doesn't make any sense to pretend that either of them are representative of their larger communities. It's just more of the 'us vs. them' finger pointing.
Old 09-29-11, 03:35 PM
scotton
noodly appendage

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
As the OP, let me clarify a few misconceptions that seem to have arisen from my original post.

I'm a roadie (apparently a long winded one).

I know why cyclists shave their legs, I was poking fun at the people that don't seem to understand why they do it, they just got a free razor in their "New Roadie Bag". If you crash often enough to justify shaving your legs and you don't draw a paycheck from riding your bike, please wear a warning flag on your back that says "I am a crash monkey with poor bike handling skills" so that other cyclists know to avoid you.

I don't really care where you ride in the lane. I general ride on the part with the fewest potholes.

I don't care what you wear, but you have to admit that your Team Astana "kit" looks ridiculous to most humans as well as a lot of dogs.

If you got a smile from my post, I'm glad. If you got irate and defensive from my post, you were probably the target audience.

It doesn't have to always be bro rage and lane angst, with the Alpe d'Huez grimace and the Italian hand gestures. It's only us versus them if you decide that there is an us and a them.

I reserve the right to have this post deleted the next time some half-drunk roofer puts me into a tree, but until then the smiling and waving makes me feel good on the bike, and I hope it is raising my local level of bike awareness.

Love, peace and chicken grease.
Old 09-29-11, 03:38 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
I wave at motorists who honk or yell at me. I feel compelled to do something, and rather than do that, I just smile & wave. If their window is open I might add, "I love you!"

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 09-29-11, 03:55 PM
genec
genec

As the OP, let me clarify a few misconceptions that seem to have arisen from my original post.

I know why cyclists shave their legs, I was poking fun at the people that don't seem to understand why they do it, they just got a free razor in their "New Roadie Bag". If you crash often enough to justify shaving your legs and you don't draw a paycheck from riding your bike, please wear a warning flag on your back that says "I am a crash monkey with poor bike handling skills" so that other cyclists know to avoid you.

I don't really care where you ride in the lane. I general ride on the part with the fewest potholes.

I don't care what you wear, but you have to admit that your Team Astana "kit" looks ridiculous to most humans as well as a lot of dogs.

If you got a smile from my post, I'm glad. If you got irate and defensive from my post, you were probably the target audience.

It doesn't have to always be bro rage and lane angst, with the Alpe d'Huez grimace and the Italian hand gestures. It's only us versus them if you decide that there is an us and a them.

I reserve the right to have this post deleted the next time some half-drunk roofer puts me into a tree, but until then the smiling and waving makes me feel good on the bike, and I hope it is raising my local level of bike awareness.

Made me smile actually... it was well written and hit a few good strong points.

RE the "us and them" part... If motorists have already decided it is "they against us," that pretty much puts you in an "us" position whether you want to be or not.

I know I often try to clown it up a bit on the road to keep things light, but when I get confronted with the beer bottles and nasty comments in spite of my good nature'd approach... well I suppose I become "one of us" by default.
Old 09-29-11, 04:06 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by SBRDude
I live in a neighborhood that takes me about 7-10 minutes to get to the nearest shopping areas, and since I am too lazy and bored to make several trips to stores, I usually wait until I can run a few errands and then do them all at once. But, I often have a relatively tight schedule and I seriously doubt I could share shopping trips with any of my neighbors. On the other hand, since I am a little league coach and some of the kids are in my neighborhood, I do try to take some of them with me so their parents won't have to make unnecessary trips (the other parent can then pick them up on their way home or I can bring them back, but parents usually want to watch the kids play). Where I live, it's not feasible for kids to ride to the schools - the roads are winding, hilly, and have no shoulder. I am an experienced rider and feel comfortable riding there, but I wouldn't want kids to do it, especially not young ones. As far as knowing my neighbors, of course I don't know them all, but I know a lot of them and one of the reasons I like living where I do is because of the community. There is zero public transportation where I live and none nearby. My guess is that you'd have to go about 2 or 3 miles to find a bus, at a minimum.

Anyway, we could argue about this all night, but I just get tired of the self-righteous rhetoric used by some people (not you) to bash situations they really don't even understand. Sure, there are lots of stupid and lazy suburbanites, but there are also a lot of idiot cyclists and it doesn't make any sense to pretend that either of them are representative of their larger communities. It's just more of the 'us vs. them' finger pointing.
Sure, generalization is just that... it is a wide brush that paints a big picture that may not directly apply to any of us, but probably covers something that we can relate to. I don't for instance have 2.5 kids (as the US census once declared... ) in fact I know of no one with .5 kids... yet the picture painted by the US census did tend to somewhat cover what most of us consider "the normal situation."

Of course individually our mileage may vary... but the truth is that our autocentric society has painted (to continue to use that metaphor) us into some rather amusing corners... such that people may drive just blocks for a 6 pack, or that neighborhood schools are actually across town, or that the very traffic we worry about our kids encountering at school is parents dropping off kids.

Somehow we have to modify this picture... and cycling as often as possible for local errands is just one way to do this modification. On an individual level, we may not all be able to make the same changes... and certainly don't live the same lives... but a change in attitude is the first step. And moving away from autocentric thinking IS a change in attitude.
Old 09-29-11, 04:18 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,591 Times in 1,073 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
Some posters may be "untrainable" about living in the world of reality and may be unable to recognize their own lack of empathy for anyone else's living situation but their own.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 09-29-11 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-29-11, 04:19 PM
stonefree
Icantre Member

Bikes: 2001 DBR Axis TT, 1998 Trek 5500 OCLV, 1993 Trek 1100, 1971 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1972 Gitane Attic Beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
This is carved in stone somewhere.

Waving doesn't help that much, but I do it anyway. Waving them by only works about half the time.
Old 09-29-11, 05:06 PM
SBRDude
Godfather of Soul

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex, 2010 Specialized Tricross Expert,2008 Gary Fischer Hi Fi Carbon, 2002 Specialized S-Works hard tail, 1990 Kestrel KM 40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure, generalization is just that... it is a wide brush that paints a big picture that may not directly apply to any of us, but probably covers something that we can relate to. I don't for instance have 2.5 kids (as the US census once declared... ) in fact I know of no one with .5 kids... yet the picture painted by the US census did tend to somewhat cover what most of us consider "the normal situation."

Of course individually our mileage may vary... but the truth is that our autocentric society has painted (to continue to use that metaphor) us into some rather amusing corners... such that people may drive just blocks for a 6 pack, or that neighborhood schools are actually across town, or that the very traffic we worry about our kids encountering at school is parents dropping off kids.

Somehow we have to modify this picture... and cycling as often as possible for local errands is just one way to do this modification. On an individual level, we may not all be able to make the same changes... and certainly don't live the same lives... but a change in attitude is the first step. And moving away from autocentric thinking IS a change in attitude.
I'm pretty sure we agree on most of this and I heartily agree that changing attitudes is a very good first step. My only disagreement is the generalization part. I do agree that usually where there is smoke there is fire, but my point is that when criticizing the "other" group, the worst of that other group is sometimes trumped up as the generalization when it's usually not that way at all. That's when generalizations become inaccurate and unfair stereotypes, and begin to work against solutions that benefit everyone.
Old 09-29-11, 06:33 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

now you went and pissed off roofers, chicken hawks and PETA!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 09-29-11, 07:30 PM
jakub.ner

Bikes: 2 Xootr Swifts, Dahon Curve, Oxford Winter Beater.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 09-29-11, 09:31 PM
scotton
noodly appendage

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
now you went and pissed off roofers, chicken hawks and PETA!
I knew if I tried hard enough I could find a common ground for drunk roofers and PETA to sing Koom By Yah around the campfire. But I will never apologize to poultry (even though some of my breast friends are chickens).

By the way, I never wave motorists by. Has a very matador vibe, and I'm dressed silly enough as it is.
Old 09-29-11, 09:51 PM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love cycling. I love ride bikes, fixing bikes, watching bikes on TV. When it comes to bikes, I'm in. However, I don't subscribe to the bike vs car war that some people are constantly beating the drum for.

Don't get me wrong. I have been run into the ditch twice, doored a few times, swerved into, been used for beer bottle target practice, etc. But the fact of the matter is, I have 5 bikes and 2 cars, and I would give up all 5 bikes before I would consider giving up either car. So if we are at war, I'm not sure whose side I'm on. And just to blur the lines even further, 90% of the open garages I ride past have bikes in them. And cars. What the what?

Here is an uncomfortable truth. As much as I love cycling, a lot of cyclist are "ducci baggos". Have you ever referred to your wattage, and you aren't an electrician? Do you shave your legs to make yourself more "aero"? Do you refer to clothing as "kit"?

Guess what. You may be a ducci baggo. And that's fine. I love that there is a group of people making me look less like a dork for wearing black lycra shorts every morning.
But think on this. If we are at war, it is a war of sticks and rocks versus tanks and bazookas. Do we really need our fellow cavemen pissing off the guys in the tanks?

So here is how I have won the hearts and minds on my local routes. It's called the smile and wave. It's pretty simple. When a motorist is coming towards you, or at a cross street waiting for you to cross, take your left hand off of the bars, extend it up to approximately ear height and rotate the wrist 2-5 times. Try to keep your hand relaxed to prevent cramping. Now for the hard part. Simultaneously, lift the corners of your mouth and show a few teeth. The expression I shoot for is "Hey! I'm on a bike! Isn't that fun?! Yippee!" You will feel like a doofus at first, but remember this: you are wearing skin tight clothes, shoes that you can't walk in and a plastic hat. You gave up on cool when you left the house. A finger flick or micro-head bob will not get you the results we are shooting for. Every dead squirrel on the road flicked and bobbed, and look what it did for them. If they would have smiled and waved, they would still be alive.

I have gotten to the point where only one old man in a white Dodge pickup won't smile and wave back. So I've cut down on the number of people that might knock me into a ditch some day to one. I like those odds.

If you are halfway up a wall, in granny gear and starting to think about hiking the rest of the way, you get a pass. No one wants to see the expression you are going to try to pass off as a smile.

Golf used to be a dork sport, too, until Tiger came along. Lance tried to un-dork cycling, and he has helped humanize it for a lot of America. Walk into a cattlemen's bar in Lubbock and ask the old men if they know who Lance Armstrong is and most of them will at least know what sport he's famous for. But it still takes effort from the grassroots. If you insist on wearing the silly clothes, at least try to appear friendly and self-depreciating.

And if you ride in my neck of the woods, please wave to the motorists. It took a long time to train them.
Been doing it for a long time. I dont own any 'silly' clothes, either.
I also ring-a-ding my bell when approaching peds.

Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 09-29-11, 11:00 PM
Daves_Not_Here
On your right

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great post!! I don't know which is more hilarious, the original post, obviously written by a roadie in full self-deprecation mode ... or ... the condescending retorts from the Reading Incomprehension Dullards and Panties In A Bunch Society

Oh my God -- I LOVE you guys -- you never disappoint!!
Old 09-30-11, 09:19 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Chuckle. You write an "us vs. them" piece then play holier-than-thou with all the people who took it as an "us vs. them" piece.

What a tool.

Regardless, I don't really feel the need to thank people for doing what they're supposed to do anyway, whether I'm wearing cut-off shorts, rain gear, or my super hero costume.
Old 09-30-11, 09:33 AM
twentysixtwo
Endurance junkie

Bikes: '93 GT Pantera, '03 Fuji Marseille, '05 Klein Attitude, Dahon Impulse, Bike Friday Family Triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+100

I always try to give a quick and friendly wave to drivers. I figure it personalizes me and they are going to be more considerate of a person than of an object or faceless rider....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.