Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone use Monster Powerbeat earphones?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anyone use Monster Powerbeat earphones?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-11, 12:48 AM
viros20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
started using these Yurbud Ironman Series Earphones... they work great as for not falling out. They were designed by an actual ironman triathlete. Hoping they dont wear out too quick like so many other headphones, got them at best buy and paid the extra 15.00 dollars for the 2 year warranty since i got tired of having to pay to replace so many headphones. Just found out REI also carries em which had I known I would of just bought them there since they have such an awesome return policy if they fail.

Old 11-18-11, 09:14 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Btw, for wind noise, try Sliptreamz. I just got me a pair but havent tried them out yet.
I have and tried them. I'll give them away.
Old 11-18-11, 09:22 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by ilovecycling
I'm kind of an audiophile and have a nice system in my car
Does not compute.

Monster is over-priced. Beats Audio, by Doc Dre, is... unfaithful. On the software side of things, they simply apply an EQ curve that they find favorable for music that they like. On the hardware side of things, they have a response that is not flat and is, again, tailored for primarily hip-hop.
Old 11-18-11, 10:41 AM
jair101

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just got Sennheiser CX680. Designed for sports - watertight, durable, etc. Probably best decision ever, as the sweat was going to destroy my better pair of IEMs very fast.
They are done in collaboration with Adidas. Link to the entire sports line:

https://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...nes_sport-line

To me it strikes the perfect balance between quality headphones -Sennheiser is a true brand, unlike Dr.Dre...lol, since when he is sound engineer, great price - you can get the top model for around $40 and the durability needed to survive the rough handling and sweat.
Old 11-18-11, 10:43 AM
savvy523

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had turbines, there was too much bass. Exchanged them for Bose MIE2, got them for 130$ with tax. Monster earphones require you to put them in your ear, can't hear anything, and that's kinda dangerous when you're riding on the road IMO.
Old 11-18-11, 12:14 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jair101
I just got Sennheiser CX680. Designed for sports - watertight, durable, etc. Probably best decision ever, as the sweat was going to destroy my better pair of IEMs very fast.
They are done in collaboration with Adidas. Link to the entire sports line:

https://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...nes_sport-line

To me it strikes the perfect balance between quality headphones -Sennheiser is a true brand, unlike Dr.Dre...lol, since when he is sound engineer, great price - you can get the top model for around $40 and the durability needed to survive the rough handling and sweat.
Don't kid yourself... Sennheiser sold out a long time ago, like in the 90s, and only their pro and high-end gears are still quality and worthy of the name. Their low-end stuff is no better than Skull Candy.
Old 11-18-11, 12:34 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
As a recovering audiophile, I just can't stand people wasting their hard earned money and being taken advantage of by those companies selling their over-priced products using strategies singularly targeting at people's ignorance. In the audio industry, Bose, Monster (Dr. Dre or not), Polk Audio, just to name a few, are the most egregious ones. I am not particularly object to the products they make, engineering a product is always a compromise between features and cost, some products will be less quality than others in any brand by any manufacturer. But what I have most problem with is how they market and the price they charge for their products. Branding such as Dr.Dre is just another example of their snake oil strategy.

To the OP, I agree with what a lot other people said here, getting a decent, non audiophile quality one would be all you need for riding because the presence of large ambient noise. The diminishing return point for a riding headphone is probably at $30. Personally, I have been using a bluetooth headphone by Sony Ericsson (https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Ericsson-...1640909&sr=8-2) connected to my iPhone for the last couple of years. I have been very happy with it. Apart from the convenience of not having to tether this to the phone, the other nice thing about this one is the receiver and the headphone comes with this are actually two parts, so you can plug in any other headphone into the bluetooth receiver if you want. When I am not riding (e.g. on the train or at home), I simply swap out with a better one (I am a Shure fan).
Old 11-18-11, 12:57 PM
SlickmisterN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Through-out my years of A/V and consumer electronics purchasing with consistent and constant use of various sound and video cables, Monster branded products are the only ones I've owned that will completely FAIL! Soldered wire separated within the cable's sheath on an original xbox component cable, huge stress on cable ends from constant plug-ins and pull-outs w/o proper support I suppose. Even a design I thought was impervious to the shortcomings of their ****ty manufacturing, an optical cable from them ceased to transmit light signal after just a few uses. Everything about their line-up is super gimmicky and under tested. Do not buy Monster anything, biggest snake oil company in the world. Price doesn't equate to quality in their case.

Buy SHURE headphones, I've had mine for years and if you're an audiophile the SQ is seriously worth the ~$300 price point. Just my .02c

Last edited by SlickmisterN; 11-18-11 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-18-11, 05:29 PM
jair101

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dalava
Don't kid yourself... Sennheiser sold out a long time ago, like in the 90s, and only their pro and high-end gears are still quality and worthy of the name. Their low-end stuff is no better than Skull Candy.
That might very well be true. But please, everyone, focus on the subject: good headphones for cycling. $300 Shure's ARE NOT good for cycling as well as all mentioned above $50. My personal opinion of course, there are people here spending 10k for bike, so for them replacing a $300 headphone each month could be peanuts.

The sennheisers I mentioned are durable enough, which given the circumstances should come above SQ.
Old 11-18-11, 06:02 PM
fishymamba

Bikes: CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
The headphones I use on bike rides are the Philips SHE 9550. $30 for two pairs at Costco! They do block some outside noise so be careful! And I actually like the sound they put out.

By the way way these headphones are the longest last headphones I have ever had, have lasted me well over a year even though I abuse them a lot. My Shures only lasted 6 months! And they were over $400!
Old 11-19-11, 04:30 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Look ... I'm an audiophile ... but I don't understand why people would want to ride around on their bikes with expensive "audiophile" earplugs.
You are on a bike ... the wind is gusting around your ears ... traffic and other noises are all around.
You basicly have two options:
1) wear a very soundproof pair of headphones that block out all exterior noise ... this is an option but I believe hearing a bit of outside noise while riding a bike can be beneficial. On top of that they will be huge and heavy.
2) do not care about sound quality too much and just use cheap $20 earplugs with little hooks to stay in your ears.

I use option 2.
Face it: no earplug or headphone will ever be able to really give an "audiophile" experience like fine speakers in a fine room will give. Therefore I believe all this "expensive earplugs" business is pretty silly.

Last edited by AdelaaR; 11-19-11 at 04:34 AM.
Old 11-19-11, 06:28 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by AdelaaR
Face it: no earplug or headphone will ever be able to really give an "audiophile" experience like fine speakers in a fine room will give. Therefore I believe all this "expensive earplugs" business is pretty silly.
Unmitigated BS - headphones have a hard time with the type of soundstaging that we associate with a free-standing system, but in most other aspects they excel for a fraction of the money.
Old 11-19-11, 08:52 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Unmitigated BS - headphones have a hard time with the type of soundstaging that we associate with a free-standing system, but in most other aspects they excel for a fraction of the money.
Headphones can be great to some extend if you care for precision and not for soundstage, but that doesn't take away that you either will end up with small headphones that have wind gusting around them or huge closed type headphones that will completely isolate your ears.
I don't think a bicycle is the right place to be an audiophile and even audiophiles can just simply listen to music from time to time, right?
Old 11-19-11, 09:03 AM
rokphotography

Bikes: BMC SR02, 07 Cannondale Capo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hate all you want, but Sennheisers will put your $100-$150 Shures to shame on the road. I use these and they never slip out.

https://www.sennheiserusa.com/sport-e...-adidas_504042

You dont want sound isolation when you're outside walking, running, biking. On a plane or train? Yes. Next to a car, no.

Monster uses their hype to get you to buy their headphones which value is 1/3 of their cost. I would prefer to get Ultimate Ears for in ear monitoring, Allen & Heath for DJ use, or Sennheisers for all you real audiophiles.
Old 11-19-11, 09:06 AM
rokphotography

Bikes: BMC SR02, 07 Cannondale Capo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
Not true. Next to the Bose ie2 and Shure SE (mobile) line, this series of Sennheisers puts on more sound clarity, mid range and lows without the muds and highs that are not ear drum stabbing. I've returned both headphones above for the "sport" tuned Sennheisers. The only thing that separates the more expensive of this group is isolation, which again no one wants when riding unless they are suicidal.
Old 11-19-11, 09:13 AM
jwible
Draught

Bikes: N-1 where N = number needed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for Shures. I used them under my motorcycle helmets. Great for wind noise isolation and audio clarity. But if you have really small ear canals -- like a q-tip would barely fit -- then the isolation models may not work for you.
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rokphotography
which again no one wants when riding unless they are suicidal.
I agree with your take on Sennheiser but dude, keep your safety nanny opinions to yourself. Many of us have ridden for years with visual skills even if you cannot.
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
...which again no one wants when riding unless they are suicidal.
People seem to believe that not hearing while cycling is dangerous.
Consider this: when riding your car, do you ever listen for other cars?
Old 11-19-11, 10:13 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
1) wear a very soundproof pair of headphones that block out all exterior noise ... this is an option but I believe hearing a bit of outside noise while riding a bike can be beneficial. On top of that they will be huge and heavy.
2) do not care about sound quality too much and just use cheap $20 earplugs with little hooks to stay in your ears.

I use option 2.
I also choose 2, this is just common sense. Using higher quality noise-cancelling buds I tend to leave one out which defeats the purpose. But I think the dangers of not hearing are overstated and it all comes down to personal choice.

But I guess that doesn't really help OP with his question. It's good to know that Shure is legitimately high quality, Sennheisers are also recommended and that some of the others are mostly hyped.
Old 11-19-11, 10:43 AM
dalava

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not true. Next to the Bose ie2 and Shure SE (mobile) line, this series of Sennheisers puts on more sound clarity, mid range and lows without the muds and highs that are not ear drum stabbing. I've returned both headphones above for the "sport" tuned Sennheisers. The only thing that separates the more expensive of this group is isolation, which again no one wants when riding unless they are suicidal.
I wouldn't call them the pinnacle of audio quality in headphone, as much as I am generally a Shure fan.
Old 11-19-11, 12:11 PM
justkeepedaling

Bikes: CAAD 10, Cervelo P2 SL, Focus RG-700, Quintana Roo #101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just use crap Sony earbuds when I bike because the wind is going to f* up the sound anyways. IEM's are fine, but I'd prefer to leave one of them out so I can hear a bit. I can ride perfectly fine without hearing, but there are many times that a small rustle up ahead results in a deer jumping out. I prefer to have some sort of external noise hearing.

On the topic of speaker vs headphone, I have two very nice speaker configurations and my older audiophile friend is OCD with many many more. You probably have never heard an Orpheus system or a Stax SR-009 electrostatic with proper supporting tube amps. Try it sometime, will blow your mind
Old 11-19-11, 01:19 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like i said in my original post, my klipsch customs are really good. I was just looking to see what people thought about the dre's. I prefer a noise canceling earbud but I only use the right side allowing me to still hear my surroundings. My earbuds never fall out on me, though they may lose their week and I may have to reach up and push them in to seal again when I'm sweating during the summer.
Old 11-19-11, 07:12 PM
WhyFi

Headphones can be great to some extend if you care for precision and not for soundstage, but that doesn't take away that you either will end up with small headphones that have wind gusting around them or huge closed type headphones that will completely isolate your ears.
I don't think a bicycle is the right place to be an audiophile and even audiophiles can just simply listen to music from time to time, right?
Your comment, the one that I quoted, wasn't situationally qualified and I wasn't responding as such. Either you're backtracking now or your command of language stinks.
Old 11-19-11, 07:43 PM
idc

Bikes: quite a few

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you ever cycled around drivers in the USA?

And yes I do take sound cues from other vehicles. Like horn sounds. Especially from semi-trailers.
Old 11-19-11, 07:51 PM
WhyFi

If a car nudges you when you're in your car, it's not a big deal. Little different when you're on the bike, isn't it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.