Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What do you do when real winter hits?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What do you do when real winter hits?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-12, 02:21 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22715 Post(s)
Liked 9,077 Times in 4,217 Posts
Lots of options. I generally will ride on the roads as long as they are not ice or snow covered. Who cares about a little salt?

It's a tool, not a jewel.

Of course there are rollers, spin class, etc.
Old 01-18-12, 02:36 PM
pdxtex
Portland, OR, USA

Bikes: kona paddywagon, trek 2.1, lemond nevada city, gt zrx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
its easy to get cabin fever in the dead of real deal gloomy winter. id suggest taking up a snow sport if money and topography are in your favor. otherwise, beer and xbox?? trainers seem dull and the only other alternative i see if you must remain indoors is spin class at the gym. that got me through a few winters pretty well. otherwise yahoos around here will just tell you that harden up bit.
Old 01-18-12, 02:43 PM
climber7

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Xenith Comp

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i don't have a rain bike/snow bike/whatever. i just have a bike. i take a few minutes to wash it off (water + rag, or hose outside in the summer), but i figure a little dirt or salt won't kill it anyway. nice mountain bikes are carbon, just like road bikes...you think they'd make those if they were really that delicate?

if the roads and skies are clear, i'll go outside (with a lot of clothing on). if not - or if i just don't feel like being cold - trainer or rollers.
Old 01-18-12, 02:50 PM
pdxtex
Portland, OR, USA

Bikes: kona paddywagon, trek 2.1, lemond nevada city, gt zrx

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
like your money, its best to diversify your sports portfolio. i shall duck for cover after i say this but there are more sports other then road cycling which are fun...........*whoosh, there goes a shoe*.......
Old 01-18-12, 02:52 PM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by climber7
i don't have a rain bike/snow bike/whatever. i just have a bike. i take a few minutes to wash it off (water + rag, or hose outside in the summer), but i figure a little dirt or salt won't kill it anyway. nice mountain bikes are carbon, just like road bikes...you think they'd make those if they were really that delicate?

if the roads and skies are clear, i'll go outside (with a lot of clothing on). if not - or if i just don't feel like being cold - trainer or rollers.
It's not a question of durability, for me anyways. I just like different tires for different things. Plus I can't put bags or fenders on my road bike, and sometimes I need those things in the winter.
Old 01-18-12, 07:22 PM
Handelfan

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Tarmac Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, there are places in California that have "real" winters. Not where I live, of course....... The most wintery we get here is rainy, and maybe 20 degrees.

I did live in Minnesota for a few years though, and have in-laws there.
Old 01-18-12, 07:51 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked 2,424 Times in 906 Posts
After taking the last 6-7 winters off, I'm back to taking spin classes once or twice a week. Definitely keeps the cardio on the map. I had enough in the tank to do a decent 35-miler in mid-January went we got a break in the wx.
Old 01-18-12, 07:59 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Throw the bike in the garage, and do this.

Old 01-18-12, 08:11 PM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Swim more, actually. Swimming is hard as **** even with correct technique, and winter is a perfect excuse to really improve at it.
Old 01-18-12, 08:20 PM
Debusama

Bikes: Elephant custom road bike, 08 Redline D440, Motobecane Fantom cross Uno.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Real winter hit my town this morning (5-inches of snow with more on the way). I know we need the snow-pack in the mountains the local economy feels the pain when the weather doesn't behave as expected. I had been doing two or three short trail rides throughout the week, a long road ride during the weekends, which I've not been able to do in January with any regularity since I lived in Arizona. In my area they use gravel rather than salt. I remember seeing fairly new cars driving around with the doors rusted out when I lived near Chicago where they seem to go a little salt-crazy. I'm glad they don't do that here. When the snow does thaw but roads are still wet and covered in gravel, the only thing is do differently is put my cheap OEM wheels back on so as not to grind away the braking surface on my good wheels and make sure to wipe the bike down after every ride.
Old 01-18-12, 08:30 PM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Real winter has already hit.

Answer: HTFU.
You live in Knoxville...STFU!
Old 01-18-12, 08:48 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2347 Post(s)
Liked 5,235 Times in 1,834 Posts
I ride outside all winter long. But my Madone 5.9 does get the winter off. If the roads are clear I ride my "beater" LeMond. If there is a small amount of snow or wet roads I ride my Kona Jake the Snake currently equipped with fenders, knobbies, and lights. If the roads are real nasty it is the studded,snow tire equipped MB with fenders and lights. The only time I don't ride is when road conditions are just too bad to get traction or too dangerous due to traffic conditions.
Old 01-18-12, 09:10 PM
M_Wales
Retired USAF, C-130 Guy

Bikes: Shopping

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ride the trainer, computer gaming, drink beer and watch more hockey.
Old 01-18-12, 10:39 PM
escarpment

Bikes: cannondale crit 3.0, specialized allez, old giant mtb/hybrid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I also live in chicago and I commuted almost every day last year, Just on my beater bike... Although when there is snow on the roads I stick to the EL. Every once in a while I will take out my road bike, The feel is just too enticing to pass up for months straight.
Old 01-18-12, 10:52 PM
EdgewaterDude

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another Chicgoan here. I've found that the worst part of winter riding is taking care of the bike. I'm mostly too lazy to have to clean things; I just want to grab the damn bike and ride, you know?

I rode home in that 'storm' we had last week, and within a few days, I had surface rust on my chain-ring, cog, and chain. I hate schlepping my bike upstairs to do a proper cleaning and lubing, but it has to be done. It's pretty much the only time I clean, really. As you can imagine, if you ride enough in the winter, your components will be toast, very fast.
Old 01-19-12, 01:56 AM
a1penguin

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by nosaj
I chortle at the people south of the Mason Dixon line and in the Northwest who think they have real winters.
You move to the Bay Area and see how much of a wimp you are after 5 years living here. You wouldn't believe what the locals call "snow". I was sitting in the coffee shop one Saturday morning. It was a raining day. Then it turned into freezing rain and some local says... "Look, it's snowing out". I almost fell off my chair laughing.

I didn't want to lose my fitness over the winter after working so hard to acquire it (even if it's not all that great). I can't stand the gym. So I got a hybrid bike with disc brakes and plan or commuting the entire winter. So far, I'm doing fine with the rides home at 37-40ºF. Since it hasn't rained here yet, I'm not sure if I have all the proper gear for staying dry.
Old 01-19-12, 02:04 AM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
March is right around the corner. Hang in there and then post a, "WHAT do you do when it's to hot to ride" thread!..
Old 01-19-12, 02:12 AM
NathanC
Shut up legs

Bikes: Merckx

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ride as per normal.