Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Crank Bros Quattro SL

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Crank Bros Quattro SL

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-12, 07:23 AM
bigrunbike

Bikes: 1995 Bianchi Campione 'd Italia 1993 Trek 750 Hybrid 1997 Giant Sedona MTB 2015 Diamondback Overdrive Comp 29er 2012 Custom Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crank Bros Quattro SL

Been out of cycling for a few years, but getting back in. Back in the day, LOOK was the pedal of choice. Still have a pair on my '95 Bianchi. Tried SPDs and didn't really care for them, I lean toward a larger platform. So I ordered a pair of CB QUATTRO SLs on sale at Nashbar. Tried them out the first time last night on my hybrid. After one ride I really like them. I've read reliability is an issue with Eggbeaters in general, seems you either love them or hate them. Wondering why the Quattro was discontinued, low sales or reliability issues? As I said, I like a little more under my feet, so the regular road Eggbeater is out. I guess I could try the Candys even though they are a MTB pedal, I generally ride alone, so not concerned with what the bike world snobs think. I'm currently building a new road bike, and looking for a pedal system for it, I like wearing shoes I can walk in, I'm about too old and crippled to walk in the LOOKs. If you give positive feedback on the Quattros, may order 2 or 3 sets for the future. Price is hard to beat, no pun intended. Thanks
Old 02-16-12, 07:56 AM
Wesley36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I might have to check it out, I use Quattros and it would be nice to have a spare set. I am a big fan of the Quattros. My understanding is that it was CB's first real venture into the world of road biking, and after a couple of years they decided to focus on MTB, phasing out the Quattros. Anyone else have more details?
Old 02-16-12, 07:57 AM
Chinaman101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had them on my bike for a few years, got them on sale from bonktown (well, back then there was only steepandcheap). Went with them because my wife loved the eggbeaters on her mountain bike. Not sure why CB discontinued them, but if you look at their site they don't have any road pedals listed, so maybe they decided to focus on MTB/Downhill?

I don't have anything to compare them to as they were my first clipless pedals, but haven't had any issues with them. There's plenty of float for me and I like the double sided entry. My quattros came with the 3 hole adaptor - https://crankbrothers.com/accessories_3hole_cleat.php, and they're pretty easy to walk in. I'm not a hardcore rider though, I log maybe a couple hundred miles a month. Just my $0.02.

Where did you find them on Nashbar? I did a search and nothing came up. I'd be interested in picking up another set as well.
Old 02-16-12, 08:52 AM
bigrunbike

Bikes: 1995 Bianchi Campione 'd Italia 1993 Trek 750 Hybrid 1997 Giant Sedona MTB 2015 Diamondback Overdrive Comp 29er 2012 Custom Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AMAZING! I did a search also and they have disappeared. Must have sold out. I actually bought them thru a link on Amazon, I tried that too - nothing. They came from Nashbar, that was just last week. That's how my luck goes -HA. Oh well there was a few sets on ebay this weekend. I guess $60 was too hard for people to resist. Candys may be the only option. As I said in the OP, I may be the old guy everybody makes fun of for having MTB pedals on a road bike. I'm getting to the age where functionality trumps style
Old 02-16-12, 09:04 AM
bigrunbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Called Nashbar, they are totally out of them. Oh well, maybe enough people will respond to this thread and someone from CB will read it and they'll put them back in production and then.....I'll saddle my unicorn and ride around the world at peace!
Old 02-16-12, 10:12 AM
Handelfan

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Tarmac Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had Quattros for a couple years. Loved them at first. I do like the big platform. One thing that's been bugging me lately is the cleat design, for two reasons:

a. Part of the large platform is that horseshoe-shaped plastic guard around the cleat, so when you walk, you don't walk on the cleat. As a result, the guard (which holds your foot tight to the pedal) wears out pretty quickly, long before the cleat. You also cannot buy the cleat and plastic guard separately (that I know of), so you have to just buy new cleats.

b. They changed the design from a 3 screw setup to a 2-screw setup. Since this change, I seem to have trouble engaging my pedal. I used to be able to just stomp in after a traffic signal, now it seems I have to fiddle around. Maybe my technique has degraded, I don't know. Also, I have occasionally lost one of the screws while riding, and so you can't disengage the pedal when you need to. What happens is that the cleat stays clipped in, and the shoe rotates out without it. That couldn't happen with the old 3-hole design.

My first set also just started falling apart on me. CB did take them back and rebuild them for free, however. Haven't had that problem since.

I'm also thinking lately that there is a little TOO MUCH float. I thought about switching to LOOKS myself.
Old 02-16-12, 12:25 PM
deyendznyr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had the Quattros a few years ago. I remember them being super easy to get in and out of, and easy to walk in. The cleats will wear out, but I don't remember them wearing out any faster than the LOOK cleats I use now.
Old 02-16-12, 12:52 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Liked 4,294 Times in 1,582 Posts
I've got the old yellow Candy Cs on my commuter. I'd guess I've put about 5000 miles on them with just a couple of grease changes. They're not a bad pedal. I've got Egg Beaters on all my other bikes. I might get Candy 2 or Candy 3 next time I need a pedal. The Egg Beater 2 and 3 models have been reliable for me.
Old 02-16-12, 12:53 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Liked 304 Times in 144 Posts
There are a number of SPD road pedals available. I use eggbeaters and Wellgo W41. The Shimano A520 has a lot of fans.
Old 02-16-12, 06:21 PM
sideshow_bob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ran them for a few years, including on track bikes. They were decent pedals. However the 2 hole cleats which go into a 3 hole adapter were lame. Seriously make a proper cleat for them.

In a proper eggbeater you have true 4 side engagement which is unrestricted. In the Quattro the eggbeater turns inside the surround resulting in times when engagement was more difficult. I think the design would have been better if the eggbeater was fixed in the plastic surround ie not moving independently of it. YMMV
Old 02-17-12, 07:49 AM
forkball

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had Candy's on all my bikes, mtn and road until this past season. I still love them. The only reason I switched was that I felt the bigger platform of the Look's I went with would be better on the new road bike I got.

Anyway, I never had reliability issues. I regreased them with the kit you can get from CB once on my road bike. Probably had 10k miles on them before I did that. Yeah I probably should have done it sooner too. That's it, no other maintenance except cleaning.

I can't speak to the Quattro. I did use a Quattro cleat adapter on my road shoes in order to walk around.

It just seems CB doesn't really want to have a position in the road market. I like the Look's I got but the single side engagement is a PITA. The Candy's were awesome in terms of just slipping into the clip.
Old 02-17-12, 09:09 AM
telebianchi

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
You can still get the proper 3-hole cleats to use with a road shoe. They work with any CB pedal (quattro, candy, egg beater).
https://www.amazon.com/Crank-Brothers.../dp/B000WS8J9O
Old 02-17-12, 11:10 PM
roshea
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Quattros are no longer made, so you only find them on closeout or occasionally on ebay now. I like them because I can use any of my 4 pairs of bike shoes with any of my 3 bikes (MTB with Eggbeaters and 2 road bikes with Quattros).

I have had problems with the metal side plates on Quattros bending, which leads to cleats getting stuck in the pedals. I got some spare side plates from Crank Bros' local distributor but have used all of them now. I'm down to 1 pair of working Quattros now (and 2 other pairs cannibalised for parts) and have put Candy pedals on the wet weather bike. Not sure what I'll do when the last pair of Quattros is no longer fixable; maybe Candy pedals on the good roadie.