Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Visiting San Francisco next week, must see/do?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-12, 11:03 PM
fatallightning
Cat 666

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Going to be in SF 2/20-2/26, staying downtown/nob hill. I'll have a road bike in tow. And my lady, so multi hour epics are out of the question. Seems like the must to do loop, quick and hard, is the Marin loop. Anything else? Any must do hammer group rides or crits that week? I'm going to go to Hellyer and get a training session in too.
Old 02-16-12, 11:57 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Tunitas Creek to the coast and back from Palo Alto through the old growth. Ride over the GG Bridge. Take BART to the east bay and climb Mt. Diablo and check out the 100 miles of view. Ride out to Ocean Beach and have coffee at the Cliff House or Beach Chalet with the lady. Take the lady out to Bodega Bay. Go to Olema and see where the earth shifted 20 feet in 1906.

It's a long list.
Old 02-17-12, 09:30 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 893 Times in 458 Posts
For fun, ride across the Golden Gate, then through Sausalito on to Tiburon. Drink Margaritas in Tiburon . Ferry back.

You can rent a bike for your lady friend in China town and do it with her.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 02-17-12, 10:25 AM
Bostic

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
If you want to hammer the local steep hills here are two rides that hit a lot of them.

https://app.strava.com/rides/2469686
https://app.strava.com/rides/2456162
Old 02-17-12, 01:14 PM
ericm979

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll second Mt Diablo. The view is worth driving or taking BART out there.
Old 02-17-12, 05:57 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
I have only ridden out there once and that was on my wife's cousin's touring bike (an old steel Trek!) loaded down with all of our stuff whilst he rode his unladened Trek Madone, but +1 to RacerEx and the hills west of Palo Alto. Nice roads and very beautiful! We started in Woodside (he owns a house on a double lot ... I have no idea what he pays in property taxes!) and ended up well west of Skyline before turning back. I think that we rode Alpine, Honda, and Old Honda amongst other roads and it was very nice. Lots of short climbing, but nothing outrageous.

All of this is pretty far from where you will be staying, though.

From there I would get across the bridge ASAP and ride in Marin County.
Old 02-17-12, 06:22 PM
valygrl

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
30 mile loop with climbing, start/end location = Stanford Mall. Non-cycling g/f may be able to amuse herself there for 2-3 hours.

https://g.co/maps/jh3d3 or a little longer https://g.co/maps/vsam9

Racer Ex's Tunitas Creek is better, but it falls into the multi-hour epic category IMO. There's endless multi-hour epic climbing rides on the peninsula.
Old 02-17-12, 09:04 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 2,838 Times in 1,593 Posts
Since you plan on working out at Hellyer, the only day rental bikes are available is Saturday morning at the beginner session. https://www.ridethetrack.com/calendar.html

Here is the NCNCA racing calendar to see if anything works. https://ncnca.org/?q=event
Old 02-17-12, 09:22 PM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The Emperor Norton at Ghirardelli used to be a favorite of mine; alas, I think it has been discontinued. Still, I like their milk shakes. Oh, and I am never in to this stuff, but, on our last trip we took Toad's Tour. Maybe it was the people I was with, but, I liked it.