Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Comparable Hybrids

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Comparable Hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-12, 08:33 AM
El_Guapo

Bikes: 2012 Trek 8.3 DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Comparable Hybrids

It seems that Trek is really taking the lead among the big bike companies with their dual sport line. I have an 2012 8.3 ds myself which I absolutely love, however, I would like to have an extra bike in my stable. Can anyone recommend a bike that would be comparable to a Trek 8.3 or 8.5 ds from among the competitors, say Specialized for example? I thing Giant's Roam series would be similar to the ds, but I'm not sure about some of the other brands since many don't push their bikes as such.
Old 04-08-12, 07:15 PM
El_Guapo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bueller...Bueller?
Old 04-08-12, 11:05 PM
a1penguin

Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
What kind of bike are you trying to purchase? Another mountain bike? What is your budget? I think the Giant Roam is close to the Trek 8.x. Have you test ridden this bike? Did it feel like the DS?
Old 04-09-12, 08:14 AM
El_Guapo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by a1penguin
What kind of bike are you trying to purchase? Another mountain bike? What is your budget? I think the Giant Roam is close to the Trek 8.x. Have you test ridden this bike? Did it feel like the DS?
I would prefer another hybrid. I get very bored when I ride with friends on roads that I've already driven in my car a million times. I prefer the freedom that having a hybrid allows me, being able to zip off on an interesting side trail just because it looks like fun. I did try the Giant and I liked it. It felt good. However, some of the bike websites are a bit fuzzy as to which class of bikes would be comparable to my 8.3 ds. For example, one site lists a class of bikes referred to as road/path/dirt but they look nothing at all like mine so I'm wondering whether they are more similar to the Trek FX series and not up to the more punishing treatment? Thus far, I have taken my 8.3 through hell and back on some of my rides and I'm looking for another bike that can handle the same level of abuse without having to commit to a full mountainbike.

Last edited by El_Guapo; 04-09-12 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-09-12, 08:32 AM
badger1

Liked 1,238 Times in 625 Posts
Ummm, just off the top of my head:

Trek: DS
Specialized: Crosstrail
Giant: Roam (unfortunately, the U.S. does not get the Roam XR series)
Scott: Sportster (I think it's called)

... all pretty much the same; pick by personal preference/geometry etc.

The problem, in N.A., is that in general this bike species is not as popular/well-developed as in Europe, where they are known as "cross" (not to be confused with cyclocross) bikes (with rigid forks, they tend to be called "trekking bikes"). The concept of an "all-around" (another common marketing term in Germany) bike is not nearly as popular -- indeed, is (without any justification whatsoever) often sneered at.

For some examples of the Euro approach, take a look at the websites of Stevens, Cube, or Focus, to see just how "high end" such bikes can be. For example:

https://www.stevensbikes.de/2012/inde...=CA&lang=en_US
Old 04-09-12, 08:59 AM
jbchybridrider 

Liked 398 Times in 152 Posts
Why buy a second bike for the same style of riding, get something to expand your interest in cycling and as you've said your not interested in road riding maybe get a proper MTB for really getting out offroad and keep the hybrid for lighter trail riding like rail trails and pathways with smoother narrower tires. Thats' my 2cents worth.
Old 04-10-12, 01:28 AM
a1penguin

Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Aha. You don't want a full mountain bike. Perhaps you should consider a fixed fork mountain bike? You won't be able to take a hybrid on the really rough trails that you take your fat tire suspension MTB on. As you know, a suspension (or both front and rear suspensions) will handle really rough roads. A fat tire, non-suspension bike will be able to handle medium rough roads. Hybrids might be OK for unpaved fire roads. Bike manufacturers all call these bikes slightly different things. Hybrid is a pretty generic term; some hybrids are geared like MTB and have fatter tires. Other try to be more like road bikes. I think you should go to lots of bike stores, look at bikes and ask what kinds of roads the bikes are best suited. Then test ride and pick.