Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-12, 08:33 PM
aztimm

Bikes: Specialized Tri Cross; Specialized Tarmac SL3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmets

If you've been following my posts around here, you'll see that I recently got a new bike. I moved from a cyclocross bike to a real road bike. Along with that, I'm gradually replacing nearly everything I have so it fits better with the road bike. My helmet is a mountain bike helmet; sure it still works fine, but it is 2-1/2 years old. Probably time to replace, especially to get something better.

I'm looking at spending about $100 (maybe up to $150 if I can be convinced of a fantastic product). Don't really want to skimp tho, because I want the helmet to do what it is supposed to if the unfortunate happens.

I've done some searching...mostly looking at some LG helmets just because I have some of their shorts and gloves. But I'm mostly open to anything around that price point.

Any recommendations?
Old 04-22-12, 08:35 PM
darb85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized Propero 2 110, Its basically thier Prevail(240 dollars) Thats a bit heavier. Its pretty much awesome.
Old 04-22-12, 08:38 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darb85
Specialized Propero 2 110, Its basically thier Prevail(240 dollars) Thats a bit heavier. Its pretty much awesome.
+1 good buy
Old 04-22-12, 08:47 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
The protection on $150 helmets is no better than on walmart helmets. What can be better is the fit, venting, weight and wind noise. And of course the street cred.

Don't pick out a helmet or brand without trying it on. They are like shoes, some brands will just feel better than others but you won't know with out trying them on. Also, I have been happier when I am near the top of the fit range for a helmets shell. Some will have 2 shell sizes and some 3.

For what it is worth I recently switched from a Bell to a Lazer O2. The Lazer is heavier but the fit system works so well that it actually feels lighter when I'm wearing it. But the main reason for the change is that the Lazer has the best venting that I've used and that's important to me because I sweat a lot.

I am keeping the Bell for cool weather and night rides because I will attach a light to it.

Last edited by canam73; 04-22-12 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-22-12, 08:49 PM
twodownzero

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ribble Nero Corsa, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Cannondale MT800, Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my Giro Ionos. Under $100 online if you look.

I love the ventilation.
Old 04-22-12, 09:18 PM
Chesha Neko

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twodownzero
I love my Giro Ionos. Under $100 online if you look.

I love the ventilation.
+1. They are on closeout right now now. Grab one before they sell out.
Old 04-22-12, 09:31 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A recent thing I discovered to when buying my last helmet is that when you try them on, make sure you try with your glasses on too. The Kask vertigo fits my head great, however, the glasses are hard to fit due to the retention system.
Old 04-22-12, 11:02 PM
aztimm

Bikes: Specialized Tri Cross; Specialized Tarmac SL3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darb85
Originally Posted by bianchi10
+1 good buy
Thanks for the tip! I ride a Specialized Tarmac, and the black one looks like it will go well with the bike.
I pick up the shoes I ordered from my shop this week, I'll check out helmets while I'm there.

Originally Posted by Silvercivic27
A recent thing I discovered to when buying my last helmet is that when you try them on, make sure you try with your glasses on too. The Kask vertigo fits my head great, however, the glasses are hard to fit due to the retention system.
Thanks for this too. I have noticed that I sometimes need to adjust my chinstrap for glasses (or lack of). But then again, I need to do that when my hair gets longer.

One last question. The mountain bike helmet I use has a visor. Is that ok to use on a road helmet? I kinda like it, especially for early morning/evening rides.
Old 04-22-12, 11:13 PM
twodownzero

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ribble Nero Corsa, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Cannondale MT800, Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aztimm
The mountain bike helmet I use has a visor. Is that ok to use on a road helmet? I kinda like it, especially for early morning/evening rides.
Hell no. See rule #35.
https://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Get yourself some good sunglasses.
Old 04-23-12, 12:18 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I tried on the Specialized Echelon. It was surprisingly comfortable and had better ventilation than some helmets. The price: $60. I'm looking to replace my Bell Alchera, but the under $100 Bell helmets (the Lumen) seem to have inferior ventilation to the Alchera. Not sure I can dig spending $100 on a helmet.
Old 04-23-12, 06:25 AM
whitemax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chesha Neko
+1. They are on closeout right now now. Grab one before they sell out.
On closeout from where???
Old 04-23-12, 06:38 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
^Probably many places; the model has been discontinued.
Old 04-23-12, 06:43 AM
roadrider63

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would also be one to recommend going somewhere so you can try them on. Get one you like so you know you'll wear it all the time. I have a bell sweep. I like it but feel it could use a bit more padding. Some areas, the foam rests directly on your head. I didn't get to try this one on as it was a crash replacement deal.

Pretty sure my last bell helmet saved me some serious head trauma when I was hit from behind by a pick-up truck
Old 04-23-12, 07:32 AM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My $30 Bell Solar did what it was supposed to do when I Tombayed about a month ago. I gave it a huge Thank-you and goodbye kiss when I threw it in the trash after my ride. Next day I replaced it with another $30 Bell Solar.
Old 04-23-12, 07:50 AM
Right Said Fred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trust but verify when it comes to helmet features. I recently weighed my $30 Bell and found that at 234 grams, it's lighter than Bell's top of the line Volt by about 60 grams. So make sure if you think you are paying a premium for certain features that you are actually getting them, not just spending more money for the sake of it. Weight at least is easy to quantify. Not sure how you compare intangibles like fit and ventilation without really trying the helmet out for an extended test.
Old 04-23-12, 08:03 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
+ 2 great helmet and very comfortable. You wont even know it's on your head.
Old 04-23-12, 12:18 PM
VeeDubOne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you've been following my posts around here, you'll see that I recently got a new bike. I moved from a cyclocross bike to a real road bike. Along with that, I'm gradually replacing nearly everything I have so it fits better with the road bike. My helmet is a mountain bike helmet; sure it still works fine, but it is 2-1/2 years old. Probably time to replace, especially to get something better.

I'm looking at spending about $100 (maybe up to $150 if I can be convinced of a fantastic product). Don't really want to skimp tho, because I want the helmet to do what it is supposed to if the unfortunate happens.

I've done some searching...mostly looking at some LG helmets just because I have some of their shorts and gloves. But I'm mostly open to anything around that price point.

Any recommendations?
I'd bought an LG Exo Nerve recently and returned it, as it just didn't feel right...seemed to sit too high on my noggin. Returned it and got a Giro that I've used before and know it fits. I also realized that, as far as helmets, it makes sense to try and buy at an LBS, especially if you are trying a different brand. Its mostly about the fit and look, within a price point, though.
Old 04-23-12, 12:30 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by twodownzero
Hell no. See rule #35.
https://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Get yourself some good sunglasses.
I rock the visor on my Bell Slant. Bell fits my head well, and the visor help keep the camera from moving. Seriously, the difference between 17 vents and 23 vents is so negligible. It's not like you're wearing a latex skull cap.

Rule 35 is rendered moot as wearing a cycling cap under your helmet achieves new levels of ridiculosity. That's like Albert Pujols wearing his soft cap under his batting helmet. Looks damn silly.

I guess if you're a pro cyclist it's ok, but if you're not, well then do the math.
Old 04-23-12, 12:42 PM
cjbohl

Bikes: 2012 Novara Randonee, 1991 Diamondback Override,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like Lazer helmets for example theLazer O2 oxygen . They are not always easy to find buit niether are hidden jems
Old 04-23-12, 01:34 PM
whitemax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RTDub
I rock the visor on my Bell Slant. Bell fits my head well, and the visor help keep the camera from moving. Seriously, the difference between 17 vents and 23 vents is so negligible. It's not like you're wearing a latex skull cap.

Rule 35 is rendered moot as wearing a cycling cap under your helmet achieves new levels of ridiculosity. That's like Albert Pujols wearing his soft cap under his batting helmet. Looks damn silly.

I guess if you're a pro cyclist it's ok, but if you're not, well then do the math.
It's not ok for an amateur to wear a cycling cap to keep the sun out of the eyes?
Old 04-23-12, 01:47 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by whitemax
It's not ok for an amateur to wear a cycling cap to keep the sun out of the eyes?
It will still look just as silly. It looks silly on pros. Just commenting on the vehemence with which some defend and quote the Rules, as it is clearly tongue in cheek for the most part. Sometimes it is hard to tell in the Roadie world what is real and what is not.

Personally, I think a helmet visor looks better than a cap.
Old 04-23-12, 02:03 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
One last question. The mountain bike helmet I use has a visor. Is that ok to use on a road helmet? I kinda like it, especially for early morning/evening rides.
I haven't seen a visor on an MTB helmet that isn't removable. If you are that concerned about appearance, spend the money on a new helmet, if not use the one you have. I remove the visor from my helmet if I am going to do a long ride and will be using the aero bars for most of the ride only because I don't have to stretch my neck as high to see ahead of me. I have a Giro Indicator and it works just fine in the Florida heat.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 04-23-12, 03:28 PM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RTDub
I guess you're a little younger than I am. But, there was a time when every ballplayer wore his regular cap under his helmet. They'd remove the helmet if they reached base safely and hand it to the bat boy. I guess it started changing in the late 60s and early 70s when everyone started wearing the ear flap helmets, after a couple of bad beanings. Then, the safety benefit of wearing one on the basepaths took hold some time later.