Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Choosing a LBS

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-05, 11:23 PM
KevinmH9

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Choosing a LBS

Within the small town I live in there are three local bikes shops in my general area. Within the time that I have gotten my bike I have been to all three to get my bike serviced. In my experience of going to these bike shops I have likes and dislikes from all three. For those of you who do have multiple bike shops in your area, do you go to just one shop you are familar with or do you go to all of them and really have no prefrence? Is there anything that you base your decison on when choosing your permanent bike shop, if you have one?
Old 07-31-05, 11:26 PM
Joeagain
Gone ridin'

Bikes: Trek 700, Trek 520, Iron Horse Outlaw, Fuci Manouli

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I went to between eight and ten different shops when I was looking, and decided upon just one. Can't help you on the part about "what made me decide on that particular one," as it was obvious which was the best.

Joe
Old 08-01-05, 08:46 AM
tom cotter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinmH9
Within the small town I live in there are three local bikes shops in my general area. Within the time that I have gotten my bike I have been to all three to get my bike serviced. In my experience of going to these bike shops I have likes and dislikes from all three. For those of you who do have multiple bike shops in your area, do you go to just one shop you are familar with or do you go to all of them and really have no prefrence? Is there anything that you base your decison on when choosing your permanent bike shop, if you have one?
There is a shop less than a mile from my house that I use to buy little things like tire tubes. The big stuff, bikes, trainers, clothing, the major bucks, all that biz goes to a shop 30 miles from my house. There must be a dozen shops that are closer, but none that give better service or care more about their customers.

I have three friends who are serious cyclist. We all use different shops for the same reason. We deal with those who treat us the best. Or make us feel the most comfortable. For us, cost is a secondary factor.

I realize this doesn't answer your question. Only you can answer your question.
Old 08-01-05, 11:39 AM
7stitches

Bikes: Trek road bike, Cannondale(ancient) just purchased a Gary Fisher HKEK "05"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The first bike was from a shop that had a staff that was rude. I've heard this from others that shop there too. My parents bought the bike there, so I had no say in the matter. The current place I shop at has a highly trained, friendly staff. They must have been pretty annoyed with all my repeated visits and questions, but never showed it once. I was in there about 30 times in a 8 month period trying to choose the best bike for me. My advice to you is go with the place that feels right for you. Not everyone has the same experience at the same store.
Old 08-01-05, 02:04 PM
hi565
By-Tor...or the Snow Dog?

Bikes: Bianchi Cross Concept, Flyte Srs-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 3 shops in my relative area.

One is a small shop, doesnt carry that many bikes. Can do any fixing needed. Dont hanve many products (such as jerseys/shorts etc.) I know the owner well ive tried to apply to work there. I go there if I cant go to my other shop and I need a wheel trued or ajdusted, dont realy bring anything major to them anymore.

Next I have a shop that is bigger than the first one has a good selection or bikes and not that many products but ok. They can do anyfixing needed as with the first shop. But I dotn really care for them. The one thing that happened was there was this one salesman who Twice didnt know what the hell he was tlaking about. That turned me off.

Then my last shop. Belmont Wheel Works. Best shop around. Although it is further away, they have the best biek selection, best product selection, do the best work on my bike, and has the best customer service. The people there no the most out of my shops. It is a really big shop but they are great.

Now having a huge shop doesnt mean you are the best shop. I would say try them all and see how they interact with you and how they handle situations and is the over all best shop for you.
Old 08-01-05, 03:06 PM
drumbum

Bikes: Moots CX, Redline CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another thing to consider are wait times. Have you tested how long it generally takes them to repair things?
Old 08-01-05, 03:15 PM
anthropete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have three LBS in my town. One of them happens to be Performance and I usually go there when purchasing equipment b/c they always have the cheapest prices. When it comes to repairs and maintainance I call around to see what they charge and how long it will take.

Pete
https://www.viovio.com/anthropete
Old 08-01-05, 03:54 PM
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two bike shops in town. One is both owned and managed by friends whom I knew before getting on the bike. The other is newer. Most of my (substantially discounted) business goes to my friends. I do enough at the other shop that they know I am a customer though. I don't believe in burning bridges.
Old 08-02-05, 12:24 PM
Fredmertz51

Bikes: Actual 10-speed Olmo road, Bianchi BUSS, Kona A-Ha, Schwinn Moab 2 rain bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Service first, attitude a very close second, if you like the first two, prices won't really matter.