Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bike lock wars

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Bike lock wars

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-12, 01:41 PM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
Bike lock wars

We moved to the current office building around Thanksgiving and until a few weeks ago I have not seen another bike in the bike rack.

We are in an office park, accountants, engineers, etc with very little "customer" traffic, so I just have a very small cable on my commuter bike.

The next bike to show up had a larger cable.

Another bike showed up today that I have not seen before, with an even bigger and just out of the box cable lock.

I wonder if they are consciously buying bigger cables and subcribing to the theory that the bike thief will take the easiest to steal? As my bike hasn't been stolen in 5 months of being parked there every day I'm not worried. But it got me thinking about other places where people commute, do you see escalating lock sizes?
Old 05-22-12, 01:48 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess bigger is better, or something like that?
Old 05-22-12, 01:50 PM
Sir_Eats_Alot

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure about your area, but in New York, I would say most people carry the heaviest lock they are comfortable with.. My heaviest lock is heavier than all my bikes.
Old 05-22-12, 02:31 PM
Tuc
collector

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cable envy?
Old 05-22-12, 02:32 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Personally I would opt for a bigger lock. Do what I do -- buy a very strong lock and cable and keep it attached to the rack when you leave work for the day. That way you don't have to lug it around. Keep the small cable lock in your seat bag in case you need to make a quick stop somewhere.
Old 05-22-12, 02:38 PM
ryanwood

Bikes: surly cross check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you could always buy one of these: https://www.kryptonitelock.com/Pages/...PNumber=999492 and leave it attached to the rack when you head home
Old 05-22-12, 04:18 PM
erg79

Bikes: 2012 Jamis Coda Comp; early 80s Univega Nuovo Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanwood
you could always buy one of these: https://www.kryptonitelock.com/Pages/...PNumber=999492 and leave it attached to the rack when you head home
I like that idea. And be sure to put up this next to your lock:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Challenge_accepted.jpg (28.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-22-12, 04:53 PM
thestoutdog
Non sibi sed patriae

Bikes: 2012 Surly Ogre (Shrek), 1985 Raleigh Kodiak, 1995 Specialized Hard Rock, 2009 Citizen Miami

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erg79
I like that idea. And be sure to put up this next to your lock:

Walk More
Bike More
Hike More
Move More
Eat Less.

https://thestoutdog.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TheStoutdog
Old 05-22-12, 05:02 PM
EXCALIBUR
Proud To Be An American

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress SX 2006 Giant OCR 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently locked my bike at the bike rack outiside a well known store in Honolulu. I locked my back wheel Sheldon Brown style with an Onguard Pitbull Mini lock and had the front wheel secured with the 4' cable from the mini. I was in the store for only 5 minutes. When I came out, I discovered the cable had been cleanly cut (bolt cutters?), and the front wheel quick release and u-brake had been undone. I was lucky that my bike was not stolen and I was able to ride home. The point is, any cable and lock can be defeated and only buys you time. At the very least, a cable lock or cable should only be used for the most minimal, if there is such a thing, theft situations. Good luck out there, and watch your bike at all times.
Old 05-22-12, 06:52 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
Lock Litter, that's how I'm starting to think when I see bike racks and lockup places with dozens of locks and few bikes.

I've got a teeny tiny combination cable lock, you could probably cut it with a pair of plastic scissors. I use that one or a slightly bigger one when I'm riding locally, I call it my Port-a-John lock, good enough when I just a thin door away.

I don't think there is a macho lock competition happening in the OP, just people using what they've got. Just for grins add a leather shoe lace and tie the bike to the rack with a bow knot just to see if anyone notices. You could also mess with their heads and see if a LBS has a broken heavy lock that you could have, then just lay it on the ground next to the rack just to see if any gossip gets back to you through the office grapevine ( I appear to be in a strange mood tonight, oh well, let it roll.)
Old 05-23-12, 12:53 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by treebound
Lock Litter, that's how I'm starting to think when I see bike racks and lockup places with dozens of locks and few bikes.

I've got a teeny tiny combination cable lock, you could probably cut it with a pair of plastic scissors. I use that one or a slightly bigger one when I'm riding locally, I call it my Port-a-John lock, good enough when I just a thin door away.

I don't think there is a macho lock competition happening in the OP, just people using what they've got. Just for grins add a leather shoe lace and tie the bike to the rack with a bow knot just to see if anyone notices. You could also mess with their heads and see if a LBS has a broken heavy lock that you could have, then just lay it on the ground next to the rack just to see if any gossip gets back to you through the office grapevine ( I appear to be in a strange mood tonight, oh well, let it roll.)
Agree! They revamped our bike cage at work a few months back, cutting off all the old locks (after giving more than a months notice). Already almost every single slot has a lock hanging from it. This is especially annoying to me, as I don't even bother to use a lock at work. The cage requires a key to get into already and only about 20 people use it. I don't figure any other bicycle commuter who works at the hospital is going to steal my bike and no one else can get to it, so what's the point in locking it? I've taken to swinging some of the locks over to an adjoining slot so someones lock isn't banging against my $200 front cargo rack when I put my bike in there.

Every other bike in the cage is locked up (even some seriously ugly beaters), mostly with U-locks.
Old 05-23-12, 09:27 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Abus 'bordo' folding link lock. + a chain lock, are my new favorites..

got another bike built with a ring lock.+ a chain.. ring lock stays on the seat stays.
Old 05-23-12, 10:11 AM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuc
cable envy?
Exactly.

But I'm thinking of adding to the lock litter, and keeping the smaller cable lock for grocery store/errand stops.