Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Glucosamine and Chondroitin cholesterol

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-12, 10:59 PM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Ive been taking this supplement for some time (joint pain in the fingers) and I just got my blood work back and my cholesterol has increased quite a bit. A quick google search shows many people taking this have reported the same. Has this happened to anybody here, cycling specific? Many of the accounts were sedentary arthritis suffers. I ride 200-250 miles a month and eat fairly well (I will admit occasionally Ill say screw it and eat some crap because I know Ill be riding- but not to often). Usually my levels are Ok but this spike is a first.

Thanks

Last edited by Mike F; 06-08-12 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-08-12, 11:49 PM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I take plain Glucosamine tablets for my sore joints too. I have a bunch of MSM that I may substitute the glucosamine with.
Not even sure if this stuff works, some days my knee is fine, sometimes its sore.(maybe not as bad)
I've never heard about this before, I'm going to keep an eye on this thread to see some of the other replies.
Old 06-09-12, 03:51 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Analyse your diet in more detail. Cycling doesn't necessarily mean you will cancel out the cholesterol in the crap you are eating.

I am a long-term glucosamine user and my cholesterol readings have gone down over the past eight years.
Old 06-09-12, 05:32 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I take glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM everyday. I just had cholesterol/lipid levels checked and they were normal and the same as when I was not taking that stuff. Doesn't mean it isn't affecting you, but FYI. I've never heard of it increasing cholesterol levels before.
Old 06-09-12, 06:10 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I tried this with no appreciable improvement of my joint pain. What did help was massage therapy, and even moreso, acupuncture. Joint pain is in my ankles/feet, and has improved dramatically over five treatments. I wasted 20 years on Western medicine looking for the answer to my joint pain. A pill never did it, not even fish oil.

We all react differently though, so the big pill may be your answer. A more direct solution worked for me.
Old 06-09-12, 06:30 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
FWIW, there have been a number of recent studies that show that glucosamine and chondroitin to nothing of benefit for joints or joint pain. I suggest researching this a bit. https://arthritis.webmd.com/tc/glucos...topic-overview
Old 06-09-12, 06:50 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been taking it for years. My C is very low, with no issues. Watch your diet!! That affects cholesterol more than a supplement.
Old 06-09-12, 06:56 AM
zigmeister

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Looigi
FWIW, there have been a number of recent studies that show that glucosamine and chondroitin to nothing of benefit for joints or joint pain. I suggest researching this a bit. https://arthritis.webmd.com/tc/glucos...topic-overview
This. And there is no study showing a relation of the supplement and cholesterol.

Used the stuff, never found any benefit.

Also, my orthopedic guy said the only brand he would recommend is CosaminDS. Best quality, but it might still not do anything for you.
Old 06-09-12, 07:41 AM
rogerstg
Fred-ish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That article addressed it's effect on osteoarthritis, not general joint pain from physical activity. Apples and oranges.
Old 06-09-12, 08:30 AM
Mike F

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rangerdavid
I've been taking it for years. My C is very low, with no issues. Watch your diet!! That affects cholesterol more than a supplement.
As much as I hate to hear that, I believe you are correct. I was just checking anything new I was doing since the last test. After reading further, it seems the jury is out on this. I suspect that my love for cheese and the highly processed sandwich meat are contributing factors also Thanks for the replay's all.
Old 06-09-12, 09:55 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A pet peeve of mine is that googling something does not qualify as medical "research". Everyone's an expert with the Internet in 2012. The above is not a jab at anyone in particular, just a general comment.
Old 06-09-12, 10:10 AM
Germanicus
Delusional Laserbrain

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Tricross, 1993 Giant Iguana rebuild w/ singlespeed drive train

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe you need a targeted diet. Eat more oatmeal, whole grains and cold water fish etc.. You might consider taking Fish oil or flaxseed tablets too.

And yeah, I'll just chime in that Glucosimine is one of those supplements that has very little clinical evidence to back up the claims. I know people who swear it helps them so maybe it's fine. I don't know what the cause of your joint pain is, but I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and it doesn't do anything at all for my joint pain. I have found that regular exercise is the best thing for arthritis to keep the joints strong and mobile.
Old 06-09-12, 11:21 AM
todayilearned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike F
Ive been taking this supplement for some time (joint pain in the fingers) and I just got my blood work back and my cholesterol has increased quite a bit. A quick google search shows many people taking this have reported the same. Has this happened to anybody here, cycling specific? Many of the accounts were sedentary arthritis suffers. I ride 200-250 miles a month and eat fairly well (I will admit occasionally Ill say screw it and eat some crap because I know Ill be riding- but not to often). Usually my levels are Ok but this spike is a first.

Thanks
What was the value?

What was the last thing you ate before getting blood work and what time was it?

Dietary modifications help but it's not like HMG-CoA reductase is going to stop making cholesterol in your body.
Old 06-09-12, 11:28 AM
Mike F

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by todayilearned
What was the value?

What was the last thing you ate before getting blood work and what time was it?

Dietary modifications help but it's not like HMG-CoA reductase is going to stop making cholesterol in your body.
203 -2011 to 229 -2012

Pizza (fasting test so I wanted to fill up)
Old 06-09-12, 11:32 AM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike F
As much as I hate to hear that, I believe you are correct. I was just checking anything new I was doing since the last test. After reading further, it seems the jury is out on this. I suspect that my love for cheese and the highly processed sandwich meat are contributing factors also Thanks for the replay's all.
I have the same vices. I cut out the home made sandwiches, & cut down in my cheese intake substantially.
I used to got to the deli every week, & load up on meats, & cheese, 7 take a nice "Manwich" to work everyday too.
While I haven't gone for a C test, I have found it's easier for me to lose, & keep off the extra weight.

Originally Posted by Germanicus
Maybe you need a targeted diet. Eat more oatmeal, whole grains and cold water fish etc.. You might consider taking Fish oil or flaxseed tablets too.

And yeah, I'll just chime in that Glucosimine is one of those supplements that has very little clinical evidence to back up the claims. I know people who swear it helps them so maybe it's fine. I don't know what the cause of your joint pain is, but I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and it doesn't do anything at all for my joint pain. I have found that regular exercise is the best thing for arthritis to keep the joints strong and mobile.
+1
I'm pretty sure what I have is Rheumatoid Arthritis too. It's hereditary, & is showing up in my knees even though I'm just over 30.
I credit it to me doing hardwood flooring for 5 years too, my back is another story. It likes to act up when it's cold, or if I do anything too strenuous.
I find when I bike it feels fine, when I don't, things seem to "seize" up on me.

I'll finish up what even pain meds I have, I probably just stop taking them all together.
The $$$ spent on them should go to my bikes anyways!
They are after all the best pain relief I've found.
Old 06-09-12, 12:57 PM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
I never had much effect from glucosamine. However, I do take fish oil which helps with the cholesterol balance and does seem to help my joints.
Old 06-09-12, 01:03 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Works for me. Worked for my friend's dog, big time.

Dogs don't get the placebo effect.
Old 06-09-12, 01:12 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad

You're confusing yourself with me.

It works for me, and the reason I started taking it years ago is that it helped a friend's dog who I knew wouldn't get the placebo effect.
Old 06-09-12, 01:23 PM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've had great results for dogs too!
The only difference is they know when to "ease up". I tend to push it even when I know it's going to hurt more afterwards.
This stuff called Recovery(liver flavor for dogs, fruits humans) also works great for pets, & humans. It's expensive so I just us it sparingly.
Old 06-09-12, 01:30 PM
hanknstein
Cranky

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Glocosamine w Chondoitin has worked for my knees too (never tried just the glucosamine). My cholesterol has been creeping up over the years and I recently have been eating Vegan. The diet definitely affected my blood numbers: triglycerides & ldl dropped 25% in 3 months.
Old 06-09-12, 02:44 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
What does work in spades is Anatabloc but it's not cheap.
Old 06-09-12, 08:18 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
+1 for Fish Oil great stuff.
Sorry, I don't date dogs or take their placebos.
Old 06-09-12, 08:31 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad

**bingo**
Old 06-09-12, 09:04 PM
foresthill

Bikes: MTB: Stumpjumper FSR, Road: De Rosa King 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had heard this in the past, too, but my hand doctor disagrees strongly. I went in with some unexplained hand pain, and tried it on his recommendation. Helped a lot within a few weeks.
Old 06-10-12, 02:36 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I take it as a preventive measure. I don't have rheumatism, but I do develop hip joint and knee pain if I miss taking it for a week or longer. YMMV.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.