Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Peugeot Grinder UO-8

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Peugeot Grinder UO-8

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-12, 07:28 PM
jptwins

Bikes: Boulder AllRoad67cm; 1990 Nobilette 65cm;Fuji S12-S LTD 63cm; xtracycle; panasonic gran tourer 68cm

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peugeot Grinder UO-8

About a 6 months ago, a friend dropped off a 1975 Peugeot UO-8 frame. Initially I thought it would make a great city porteur bike, and posted about it, but it wasn't in the greatest of shape, and with all the French sizings, I chose to just hang it up and not do anything.

A few months later, ColonelJLloyd put up a very tall 22.0 stem with 25.4 clamp for sale, and i thought, "Maybe I'll give this puppy a try. And why not make an off road bike?" Using the stem and a moustache handlebar I had on hand, along with some random cheap plastic brake levers and half a stem shifter, I had the cockpit figured out. I didn't want to deal with a cotter press spindle, and since my minimal amount of effort couldn't get the drive side of the BB shell out, i just bought a replacement spindle that had the same rough dimensions. The Shimano 600 crank i had on hand (bought form Orrery) works fine for now. With some crappy old 40mm tires and a cheap wheelset, I was pretty much good to go. the 25.8 seatpost was the only other tricky thing.

I finished back in March, but was in the middle of so many other bike projects, that this just got hung up without really being ridden. sad, i know.

here's some pictures of the first ride in the Boston area's own Cutler Park, which was wonderful for the greenery, the emptiness and just the sheer joy of off roading!

The tall stem here is necessary, because even at 25" the frame is too small:

You can see that even with 40mm knobby tires, i still have clearance on the DiaCompe brakes!

My only issue is that there is only barely enough clearance for the rear tire up near the chainstay bridge and BB (oh, and the cheap wheelset that went out of true after the first barrage of bumps). I would love to be able to move the center of the rear wheel further back, but am using this (see below) for my derailleur hanger. Is there a better option that doesn't sacrifice that 10mm of space and allows me to jam the QR all the way back?

What I realized riding on a bike with tires this big and full is how fun real off roading is.
Old 06-09-12, 07:50 PM
drrobwave

Bikes: Miyata Team Carbon 1993. 1988 Dave Scott Ironman expert, 1994 Bridgestone X0-3, & Cannondale R700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
interesting build, its a amazing you have that much tire space. Do you have to put the wheel in with the tire flat? Your issue with the derailleur ​is one I'd like to know how to solve too - make it a SS is all I know.
Old 06-09-12, 08:11 PM
02Pilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As someone who has also lavished considerable attention on building a custom bike based on a forlorn entry-level French frame, I applaud your efforts.
Old 06-11-12, 05:28 AM
jptwins

Bikes: Boulder AllRoad67cm; 1990 Nobilette 65cm;Fuji S12-S LTD 63cm; xtracycle; panasonic gran tourer 68cm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drrobwave
interesting build, its a amazing you have that much tire space. Do you have to put the wheel in with the tire flat? Your issue with the derailleur ​is one I'd like to know how to solve too - make it a SS is all I know.
Yes, the rear tire needs to be almost completely deflated to get in/out, but it rides so nice and cushy, that the extra effort is worth it. And i agree that a SS would solve the problem. I also thought about an unconventional SS in the back and a derailleur in the front for when i need to get up the hills.

while truing the wheels post ride i realized how cheap the wheelset was, so I've now got a slightly better (and even less French) Suntour set in.

Originally Posted by 02Pilot
As someone who has also lavished considerable attention on building a custom bike based on a forlorn entry-level French frame, I applaud your efforts.
Any pictures? sounds like a cool project.
Old 06-11-12, 05:56 AM
02Pilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jptwins
Any pictures? sounds like a cool project.

Full details and pics are here: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...g-and-rambling
Old 06-11-12, 09:40 AM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jptwins
I would love to be able to move the center of the rear wheel further back, but am using this (see below) for my derailleur hanger. Is there a better option that doesn't sacrifice that 10mm of space and allows me to jam the QR all the way back?
The Japanese made/make backwards hangers for bikes with rear facing dropouts (which are still common on cheap bikes in Asia)

pic from disraeligears

Not sure where you could find one in the U.S. and it would defeat the point of having a quick release.
Old 06-11-12, 09:58 AM
Kevin stafford

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 10 Posts
Maybe you could try removing the pich bolt and nut from the hanger, and try using just the QR to hold it, they clamp pretty tight. It would be a little tedious to align everything while you close the QR, but would probably hold OK
Old 06-11-12, 10:12 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Cool bike. That does look like fun!
Old 06-11-12, 10:16 AM
jptwins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mos6502,

I might just try taking the hanger i have and seeing if i can flip it around. This bike is pieced together, i figure why not. especially if it gives me the extra clearance. I don't plan on removing the wheels much anyways.

kevin,
i thought about that as well, or even drilling another little hole and tapping it for the pinch bolt. however, i'm not sure my drill could get through that chunk of steel there...

thanks guys! i'll let you know what how it goes.
Old 06-11-12, 10:20 AM
jptwins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
Cool bike. That does look like fun!
thanks again for the stem justin. that small purchase went a long way!
Old 06-11-12, 10:37 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 2,996 Times in 1,842 Posts
That looks cool.

Old 06-11-12, 10:43 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 98 Posts
Would not worry about the tyre clearance and having to deflate it to remove it... odds are that when you remove it it will have flatted.

Old 06-18-12, 02:42 PM
jptwins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I put on another tougher wheelset, and flipped the derailleur hanger around. It looks a bit goofy (well, this whole bike is kind of goofy), but it shifts better now, and I have more like 7-8mm of tire clearance now. perfect to fill with mud!

thanks for the help guys!