Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Finally, My First Tour ever~! The GAP - This June

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Finally, My First Tour ever~! The GAP - This June

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-12, 11:39 AM
jagraham
Senior Moment Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Part 2

Things were pretty uneventful the remainder of the trip. We rescued a painted turtle from the perils of the towpath. We stopped for very good frozen custard in Canal Fulton. I felt like I was reenacting the scene where the hunter shot Bambi's mother when I told Peter that the canal boat replica's hull was concrete and not wood like he thought it was... such sacrilege! We saw canal mules, a black squirrel (rare in my area), Canada geese (without green cards) and ducks, goslings and ducklings (tasty, tasty ducklings). We saw the beauty of water irises and arrowhead plants, wild roses, dame's rocket (Peter's favorite), honeysuckle, wild grape vines, poison ivy contrasted with fetid, algae covered pools of stagnant water laced with soda bottles, old tires, construction waste and even a trashed toilet. I found that Peter kept his "trike grin" over the entire two days out. You could tell by the smiles of the people we passed.

... and I got it straight from the horse's mouth that Peter is going to have a successful tour of the Great Allegheny Passage!

Last edited by jagraham; 05-15-12 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-15-12, 04:27 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by jagraham

... Peter is going to have a successful tour of the Great Allegheny Passage!
This is the take away from your post. Peter is going to have a great time, perhaps stretching himself a bit in ways he never expected he would. You captured him very well in the photo.

BTW that bridge leads to another trail on the other side of the river, one that runs from south of Canal Fulton. I believe it's the Old Muskegon Trail, and it's bikeable. It's possible to ride them as a loop.

Old 05-15-12, 04:34 PM
Neil_B

BTW, I very much want to at least ride a day with Peter C, but I can't manage it. Camping is out since I my quads aren't working and I'd never be able to get up from the tent. Also the drive is very long for someone who isn't entirely comfortable behind the wheel. Peter_C, win one for the Gimper!

Old 05-15-12, 10:56 PM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Gee, what a neat and interesting write-up~! Much, much better than I can do! I think that Jagraham should be my ghost-writer, or at least my photographer and editor!! After reading her write-up, it makes me want to do what she did! Oh - wait, I did do what she did!?! Plus, her photos are way cooler than mine too.

Win one for the 'Gimper' - nice one Neil :-) The question is, which 'Gimper' did you mean?? You, or me?? Or, perhaps I need to win two? Course, we need to define 'win'? A good time? Just 'finishing'? Simply not dying? Hehe - a little of all three me thinks.

By the way - rumor has Neil coming to Ohio (maybe) this summer? How many think if he does, he should visit Peter??? Why, maybe Jagraham might even have a reason to drive over this way again, and we could all go on an overnight ride/camp trip together??
Old 05-16-12, 09:47 AM
thestoutdog
Non sibi sed patriae

Bikes: 2012 Surly Ogre (Shrek), 1985 Raleigh Kodiak, 1995 Specialized Hard Rock, 2009 Citizen Miami

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter_C
By the way - rumor has Neil coming to Ohio (maybe) this summer? How many think if he does, he should visit Peter??? Why, maybe Jagraham might even have a reason to drive over this way again, and we could all go on an overnight ride/camp trip together??
I think its a great idea and time permitting (we're moving), I will ride with you all.

Walk More
Bike More
Hike More
Move More
Eat Less.

https://thestoutdog.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TheStoutdog
Old 05-16-12, 10:10 AM
Neil_B

My coming out depends on job, money, and recovery (mine, not the economy.) But I'd asked for the last week of July as vacation. Lets see.

Old 05-16-12, 10:11 AM
Neil_B

Oh, and take the canal boat ride at Canal Fulton sometime!

Old 05-16-12, 11:48 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Neil_B
BTW, in McKeesport, the trail splits and rejoins at Boston. Which side is the group riding on? The flatter and less scenic stays on McKeesport streets. The nicer, but more rolling, crosses the river earlier and goes through Dead Man's Hollow nature preserve.
If it were me and I was pulling that trailer, I'd forego the scenic side to avoid the climb and descent outside of McKeesport.
Old 05-16-12, 02:25 PM
jagraham
Senior Moment Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Altair 4
If it were me and I was pulling that trailer, I'd forego the scenic side to avoid the climb and descent outside of McKeesport.
Ssssh! I'm going to plead selective memory and tell Peter I forgot about Dead Man's Hollow (and the couple of flyover bridges along the Homestead-McKeesport route, too). They are easily handled, and that segment is so very little % of the total trip. Scenic and paved, too. You do trust me, Peter, don't you? We're about evenly matched and I'm not dreading this.
Old 05-16-12, 02:43 PM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by Altair 4
Its a little bitty one. Peter_C has gears. He'll have to use them, that's all.

BTW, Dead Man's Hollow is cursed for Bike Forums posters. Neilfein and I got soaked in a rain squall there in 2008. In 2009 I had severe cramping as I rode on the Bike Forums GAP/C & O trip. And Sayre Kulp got drenched in the first band of what turned out to be a day of rain as he slogged onto Connellsville.

Old 05-16-12, 05:09 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Peter and Judy, great reports and great pictures! I wish I was on the GAP ride with you folks and look forward to the stories.
Old 05-16-12, 05:32 PM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Neil_B
Oh, and take the canal boat ride at Canal Fulton sometime!
In the fake concrete boat??? Why??
Old 05-16-12, 05:34 PM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jagraham
Ssssh! I'm going to plead selective memory and tell Peter I forgot about Dead Man's Hollow (and the couple of flyover bridges along the Homestead-McKeesport route, too). They are easily handled, and that segment is so very little % of the total trip. Scenic and paved, too. You do trust me, Peter, don't you? We're about evenly matched and I'm not dreading this.
I'm with you Judy~! I was going to say, where-ever I am pointed, that is the way I'll be going. In for a penny, in for a pound!
Old 05-16-12, 05:39 PM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I actually hope to do it again this summer. Am already trying to decide when

Sounds like rain jackets will be a good idea then
Old 05-16-12, 06:01 PM
Neil_B

In the fake concrete boat??? Why??
Because its a fun trip?

Old 05-16-12, 06:36 PM
Neil_B

I actually hope to do it again this summer. Am already trying to decide when

Sounds like rain jackets will be a good idea then
What the well dressed Neils on Wheels were wearing that rainy May 2007:

We both wore light jackets as much to keep warm as anything. The rain was refreshing. However it made the railroad tracks near Cumberland slippery, as I found out a few minutes after the above photo was taken.

That said, we might as well have ridden without jackets, as the light nylon shells we wore did not keep us dry. Note how wet I look in this post-rain photo:

Old 05-16-12, 09:11 PM
Sayre Kulp 
Bulky Bullet

Bikes: Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recommend fenders for the trikers. Jus' sayin'....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
5053649728_94e00b1bf3_b.jpg (103.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 06-15-12, 06:18 PM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My first tour was a success~!

While I am working on a write-up about it, I thought I'd at least give you all a link to the 145 photos I took of the trip.

https://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/...20Ride%202012/

Again, I went from Homestead, PA to Cumberland, MD, then got a ride back to Meyersdale, PA and round back to Connellsville, PA before calling it done. My trike did great, and I didn't bring anything that I regretted bringing either. I did take 5.5 days to make it to Cumberland, about 2 days longer than most. But I enjoyed going at my own pace, and having more time in the day to do other stuff besides ride, make camp, eat, sleep, wake, break camp, and repeat.

One person did say to me that the above is what touring is all about! Well, not in my book~! I want to stop and read all the signs, I want to be able to take a break any time I see an inviting/pretty area, I want to be able to take the time to chat with other through-riders, whether I see one in a day, or five.

By all means, the riding itself is a joy! But to me, just focusing on hurry, hurry, hurry to camp, to sleep, to break camp, and to ride again - multiple days in a row?? That's not for me! I want the 'pace' to just happen. If it means I only get 11 miles one day, then so be it. Who knows when I'll be able to take this trip again?? So I want to make the most of it, and I did...

The group split into two smaller groups on the second day. One group which needed to be done and home on Monday, and the other group, which had three people in it, that had more flexible schedules.

In closing, if you're thinking of trying a tour, I say go for it!! Just try to allow extra time, or else have the ability to be flexible, so if you want a rest day, or wish to sight-see more than you thought, you'll be able to do so.
Old 06-15-12, 06:22 PM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Awesome Peter....Awesome!

I look forward to reading your write up and looking at the pictures..... but will do it while at work to pass the 8-10 hour work day before riding!
Old 06-15-12, 08:09 PM
thestoutdog
Non sibi sed patriae

Bikes: 2012 Surly Ogre (Shrek), 1985 Raleigh Kodiak, 1995 Specialized Hard Rock, 2009 Citizen Miami

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations, it looks like a blast! Thanks for all the pictures.

Walk More
Bike More
Hike More
Move More
Eat Less.

https://thestoutdog.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TheStoutdog
Old 06-16-12, 07:54 AM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I enjoyed your pictures and look forward to your tour report. You sound much like my husband, he too likes to read every sign, talk to as many people as he can, and look at all the sights. I have the tendency to say: "Okay, break time over, let's go!"
Old 06-16-12, 08:55 AM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by goldfinch
I enjoyed your pictures and look forward to your tour report. You sound much like my husband, he too likes to read every sign, talk to as many people as he can, and look at all the sights. I have the tendency to say: "Okay, break time over, let's go!"
Hehe-yup!! That's what happened to me multiple times. To me, chatting with others is an important part of my day. But my tour-mates sorta thought differently at times.
Old 06-17-12, 09:21 AM
jagraham
Senior Moment Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hehe-yup!! That's what happened to me multiple times. To me, chatting with others is an important part of my day. But my tour-mates sorta thought differently at times.
Yes, Peter - the day we HAD to push thru to Confluence from Connellsville (and we managed to beat out the storm -- eating 'za at Lucky Dog and coming home to a dry tent). At avg. 4 mph and near 30 miles, it was a long day.