Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Best Recumbant for touring

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Best Recumbant for touring

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-12, 09:42 AM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chandltp
I'm glad someone mentioned a trike. I ordered and ICE Sprint RS that I'm planning to use for my distance rides/short tours, and it should arrive in about 1 1/2 weeks. I drove 3 hours and spend 5 hours test riding and that's the one I ended up liking the best..
A trike is on my wishlist now. The ones I want are pricey, so it may be quite a while.
Old 06-22-12, 11:23 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dcrowell
A trike is on my wishlist now. The ones I want are pricey, so it may be quite a while.
I saved for 3 years by taking jobs on the side. I didn't want to buy something I could just afford, I wanted to afford what I wanted. I bought what I could afford with my current bike. While it works, I wouldn't probably buy it again.

This time around I had the cash to buy exactly what I wanted.
Old 06-22-12, 12:39 PM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chandltp
I saved for 3 years by taking jobs on the side. I didn't want to buy something I could just afford, I wanted to afford what I wanted. I bought what I could afford with my current bike. While it works, I wouldn't probably buy it again.

This time around I had the cash to buy exactly what I wanted.
That's what I'm going to have to do. I don't/won't go into debt again. I just need to actually start saving the money instead of p*ssing it away on eating out and beer.
Old 06-22-12, 10:51 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I bought a Bacchetta Giro 20. One important reason was that I can get it onto the bus bicycle racks, as a back up, because of its short wheelbase. I've done centuries on it, and one thing I like is that it has a rack attachment that goes below the seat for extra panniers. I got the fenders and rear rack when I bought it. I'd love some lower gears, but its a rare hill I can't get up, and I've passed a lot of people walking their diamond frame bikes while I'm still pedaling up hill. I like it for commuting because it is more relaxing to ride home than my utility bike. It has one big drawback though. It's difficult to lock securely because of the stick-like geometry of the frame.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 06-22-12 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-24-12, 12:55 PM
trikerJudy

Bikes: recumbent terratrike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi I'm a newbie. For my recumbent trike they make head rest attachments to support the neck. Don't know if it will work on all bents
Old 06-26-12, 11:33 AM
delcrossv

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by trikerJudy
Hi I'm a newbie. For my recumbent trike they make head rest attachments to support the neck. Don't know if it will work on all bents
pretty much all lowracers have them. It goes by seat recline angle mostly.
Old 07-12-12, 09:46 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
IMHO a long wheel base bent is superior for touring. If you are going to a bent for the comfort, go all the way and buy a LWB bent. The riding position is far more open and relaxed too.
Old 08-20-12, 08:47 AM
rydabent
Banned

I too would go with a LWB bent for the ride and the available locations for bags. If same sized tires are a point with you the RANS Stratus with the two 26" wheels might be the one for you.
Old 08-21-12, 03:39 AM
simonch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the ultimate touring bicycle: Velokraft VK-3.
60 liters (16 gallons) of space in tailbox, enough space to mount side panniers. Full suspension, great aerodynamics, easy to ride, very comfortable.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
small-Velokraft-VK-3.jpg (100.5 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by simonch; 08-21-12 at 03:40 AM. Reason: photo added
Old 09-07-12, 11:57 AM
bear38

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok back again. I bought a bachetta Bella. It rides nice and I am enjoying it.
Old 09-08-12, 08:23 AM
vic303

Bikes: Schlitter Encore, RANS Seavo tandem, Fisher HKEK, Spec. Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bear38
Ok back again. I bought a bachetta Bella. It rides nice and I am enjoying it.
Great! Glad to hear you are enjoying the Bella!
Old 11-05-12, 05:35 PM
Ran Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bear38
Hey guys and gals, I am new to bents and want a longer bike and was wondering what would be the best bike to get for touring long distances. I want comfort and lots of gears. I do a lot of touring on my long haul trucker but want something more comfortable. My butt back and neck just won't take 100 mile rides anymore. I can pedal all day but the aches and pains kill me. I am 55 years old and want to ride long distances. Any names would help. I know it is a broad question but any suggestions would help. thanks
I have a Rans Stratus XP. It's a fantastic bike. I can't imagine anything more comfortable.
Old 11-08-12, 07:09 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
Pretty much every LBS in the country has access to ordering a Sun, including AFAIK the TourEasy LE. But the real McCoy would be better if you want a serious touring machine - Sun is cheaper but heavier.
Old 12-26-12, 01:57 PM
WPeabody 

Bikes: Terratrike Tour, recumbent tadpole tricycle.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
The Terratrike Tour was the best one I could find and afford, its base price is $1999. I had to order it online through Terratrike because after a few years of research and looking locally, no one dealt with them, unless I drove for many miles. The local REI was within easy triking distance, has readily worked on my trike, with good results. The longest ride I've done was 9 hours, and I was still comfortable, though sometimes sitting that long is a bit hard on my lower back. I'd get that same problem from driving a Mercury for 9 hours, too.
Old 12-27-12, 06:20 AM
rydabent
Banned

Also the RANS Stratus LE that was just upgraded to disc brakes would be an excellent ride. And the good thing about the LE it doesnt cost you your first born.
Old 12-31-12, 06:45 AM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oddball
Bacchetta Bella, https://bacchettabikes.com/bikes/touring/bella
I don't own one ( have a Giro 20). I've test ridden one before and they are very easy to learn. In my opinion Bacchettas are a good deal. Love mine.
Get a Terracycle Easy Reacher rack and a normal rear rack and you can haul 4 panniers. Bike is rated for 300lbs so you'll only hurt yourself, not the bike, if you overload it. Has mounts to upgrade to disks brakes if you want.
Agree. I have a Tour Easy. Buddy a Bella. I like the no nonsense design of the Bella, esp the 406 front and 26" rear wheels. The mesh/foam Coolback seat with seat back storage area is a hugely useful, comfortable design on both the TE and Bella. One of their best features for touring, and storage of shed clothing during winter rides. I once carried 4 extra liters of water in that space and could have toted 6.
Old 01-10-13, 08:59 AM
rydabent
Banned

Again the reason for a LWB is the extra length give you more locations for gear stowage. I also suggest the latest RANS Stratus LE with their disc brakes. The reason for being high on disc brakes if if you read cross country ride reports, every now and then there is the bad situation where the rim has failed because of brake wear on the rims. While you might not think this would happen, think about it. Cross country riders do get caught in the rain. The rain water carries grit and sand onto the rims and into the brake pads, and you get accelerated rim wear. A broken rim in the middle of bum diddle no where can really ruin a ride.

In addition the reason disc brakes are better is the fact that the rim can be built stronger and more aero since there is no brake rim area.
Old 01-12-13, 10:27 AM
palmersperry

Bikes: Focus Culebro, Corratec X-Vert Motion & Bacchetta Giro26

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Again the reason for a LWB is the extra length give you more locations for gear stowage.
My first 'bent was a SWB and had space for 4 rear panniers (2 actually at the rear, 2 under the seat) plus the top of the rear rack available. I'm struggling to see (a) where a LWB gets more space and (b) what I could've used it for!
Old 01-12-13, 11:05 AM
oddball

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Specialized Roubaix, Kona Jake the Snake, Cannondale Super V, Electra Straight 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lightfoot makes an under seat rack for its LWB recumbents that can hold four panniers. That plus a standard rear rack would give you space for six panniers. But I agree that's probably more than you'd want to pedal around with unless your touring in an undeveloped part of the world.

Theres also the issue of us taller riders. SWBs with sliding seats are adjusted pretty far back for those of us with long legs. My Bacchetta Giro 20 would probably not handle well with panniers on the back. A rear rack would actually place them behind the rear wheel. Proper weight distribution would help but there would still be some weight behind the rear wheel. If I needed to tour on it I would probably look at something like Radical Designs saddle bag type panniers and Arkels recumbent bags on an under seat rack
Old 01-26-13, 09:08 PM
EriktheFish
Silly Party Member

Bikes: Rans Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for the Rans Stratus XP as one of the best choices you can make for a touring machine! Mine has brought me coast to coast and all around. Here's my cousin sitting on mine:

Old 01-27-13, 09:41 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by palmersperry
My first 'bent was a SWB and had space for 4 rear panniers (2 actually at the rear, 2 under the seat) plus the top of the rear rack available. I'm struggling to see (a) where a LWB gets more space and (b) what I could've used it for!
You could probably put a front rack on a LWB bike. Now, that really doesn't answer the what would you put in it question.

David Byrne went around on his (SWB) Cruzbike Sofrider quite happily.

Moral of the story: If you want a LWB bike for touring, get a LWB. If you want a SWB, get a SWB.

Cheers,
Charles
Old 02-03-13, 03:21 PM
DogLeg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by simonch
This is the ultimate touring bicycle: Velokraft VK-3.
60 liters (16 gallons) of space in tailbox, enough space to mount side panniers. Full suspension, great aerodynamics, easy to ride, very comfortable.

Wow...that is a nice bike. I wonder how much it would cost?
Old 02-05-13, 12:36 PM
EriktheFish
Silly Party Member

Bikes: Rans Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The title of this Topic should actually read: "Best, Recumbent for Touring!".

I toured 1000's of miles on a beautiful Trek 720 touring bike. And after 1000's of more miles of touring on a recumbent, I can heartily recommend a recumbent (of most any design) to be the superior type of design for a touring machine. All day comfort, mile after mile for all parts of your body, and a riding position that allows you to see the landscape you are riding through makes a recumbent the "best" choice for touring, in my book.
Old 03-26-13, 08:32 AM
rydabent
Banned

erikthefish +1

I just cant imagine riding a DF bike cross country!! Comfort for long days is of course number 1. But a close second is the fact you are sitting back relaxed with your head upright so you can see the lay of the land. This is the main reason to tour. DF riders dont like to admit it but they do spend a lot of time looking at their front wheel.
Old 03-26-13, 09:06 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
erikthefish +1

I just cant imagine riding a DF bike cross country!! Comfort for long days is of course number 1. But a close second is the fact you are sitting back relaxed with your head upright so you can see the lay of the land. This is the main reason to tour. DF riders dont like to admit it but they do spend a lot of time looking at their front wheel.
My biggest problem is numb hands. I found that I could actually get quite comfortable on aerobars, but then I was really just staring at the front wheel (and if I actually wanted to see where I was going, my neck got quite sore). For taking in the scenery, I don't see how you can beat being 'bent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.