Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Baby Colnago Super project (circa 1974)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Baby Colnago Super project (circa 1974)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-12, 05:54 AM
whatwolf
Unimatrix Zero

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's looking great! I'm excited to see when it's down to the metal.

Funny that we're working on such similar bikes simultaneously in totally different ways Mine also is pinned, stamped in the same place with same stamp (though upside down), and the cut-outs are spades, obviously. No chain peg though.
Old 06-28-12, 06:42 AM
23skidoo
Gone World Hepster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Jeff, do you also need a cable stop to go with the top tube clips I'm going to send you for this project?
Old 06-28-12, 12:16 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by whatwolf
That's looking great! I'm excited to see when it's down to the metal.
Me, too - I love the look of a bare frame. It's really cool to see all the detail and workmanship a paint job covers up.

Funny that we're working on such similar bikes simultaneously in totally different ways Mine also is pinned, stamped in the same place with same stamp (though upside down), and the cut-outs are spades, obviously. No chain peg though.
It is, isn't it? And I was sure yours was built similarly - again, just seeing that nice treatment to the seatlug showed quality. The Colner will be a very nice ride when complete

DD
Old 06-28-12, 12:21 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by 23skidoo
Jeff, do you also need a cable stop to go with the top tube clips I'm going to send you for this project?
Richard,

I won't since the frame has a brazed on cable stop, but I will be needing another set of top tube clips The ones I got from you were for the Guerciotti and now I have another frame that needs them!

Fun piecing this stuff together, ain't it? I need to find another Italian BB, NR rear derailleur (got an FD off Ebay the other day) and I got lucky and it looks like I have the bar/stem combo sorted as of this morning.

At least I'm good in the wheels department - at least in that area, I must have subconsciously been anticipating a couple 70s bike projects

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 06-29-12 at 12:04 AM.
Old 06-28-12, 01:36 PM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by KvltBryce
Will media blasting remove any of the chrome?
I've used soda blasting and does not harm chrome, or metal. Just removes paint and grime. Will not remove rust, though.

Last edited by Michael Angelo; 06-28-12 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-28-12, 02:12 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3466 Post(s)
Liked 2,840 Times in 2,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Hmmmmm.....

I just noticed that this frame has a chain-peg. None of my Colnagos - not even the '83 Mexico - have one. Added later?

DD
Aftermarket, not original.
Old 06-28-12, 06:02 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by repechage
Aftermarket, not original.
Thank you - time to break out the Dremel again

DD
Old 06-28-12, 06:11 PM
Alex Moll

Bikes: 54 R.O. Harrison, 56 W. F. Holdsworth, 59 Sauvage-Lejuene campeur,63 Jack Taylor Tourist,74 & 78 Davidson, 80 Colnago Super, 82 Merckx Professional, 92 Rain City Steelhead, 08 Rivendell AHH, 2011 Rivendell Custom, 2014 Woodrup/Sayles custom 650b

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
You really oughta change your handle to Dremel Dude. You could be the poster child for that company!
Old 06-28-12, 06:21 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Alex Moll
You really oughta change your handle to Dremel Dude. You could be the poster child for that company!
Hah - with my luck, I'd get sued for using their name without permission

BTW, folks: Alex is working on a neat project at the same time I'm playing with this one; we've both been able to assist the other on parts, info and details. Pretty cool when it works out like that, isn't it?

Thanks, brother!

DD
Old 06-28-12, 09:26 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

If these fit, they're the "payment" for this Saturday's bead-blasting services:

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 07-02-12 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-28-12, 09:58 PM
Andycapp

Bikes: Tommasini Super Prestige, Kamra Triathlee, Nishiki Tri-A equipe', Sakai 2000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
^
Old 06-28-12, 10:04 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

^ Yeah, I thought you'd approve

Cross your fingers...

DD
Old 06-29-12, 01:35 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Here I was believing I'd also have to source a headset for this build - then I remembered this:

I pulled this from last year's Box O' Crap

Test-fitted tonight - perfect!

DD
Old 06-29-12, 03:04 AM
ftwelder

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I admire your workmanship and patience. I am looking forward to your progress!
Old 06-29-12, 09:21 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by ftwelder
I admire your workmanship and patience. I am looking forward to your progress!
Thank you, Frank - from a man of your talent and expertise, that's some high praise

I'm slow, though. If I ever opened my own restoration shop, I'd get flamed like Cyclart for speed of service!

DD
Old 06-29-12, 09:34 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
Say D. Dude. Can you paint a frame for me?

no hurry. really...
Old 06-29-12, 09:36 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3466 Post(s)
Liked 2,840 Times in 2,002 Posts
I would consider checking the alignment of the frame before you set about refinishing it, it most probably took a hit of some sort, it may have been aligned before the last repaint but there is no worry about messing with the finish if any alignment is done before its new suit is applied.

And of course in being aware of the episodes that Shnibop faced, check all the threadings, and seat post fit.
Test, don't guess.
Old 06-29-12, 09:40 AM
Snydermann
Lotus Monomaniac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
At the powder coating refinish shop we used rubber (not the cheap vinyl stuff) electrical tape as a blast resist to protect chrome and other surfaces. While the duct tape will work, it is not as blast resistant and can be more difficult to remove than the rubber tape.
Old 06-29-12, 06:17 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by rootboy
Say D. Dude. Can you paint a frame for me?

no hurry. really...
I don't think you want me to do that just yet - I might have some idea how to prep the metal, but putting colors down onto it is a whole 'nother ball of wax

DD
Old 06-29-12, 06:21 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by repechage
I would consider checking the alignment of the frame before you set about refinishing it, it most probably took a hit of some sort, it may have been aligned before the last repaint but there is no worry about messing with the finish if any alignment is done before its new suit is applied.

And of course in being aware of the episodes that Shnibop faced, check all the threadings, and seat post fit.
Test, don't guess.
Seller - a respectable C&V member - did an alignment check and said it checked out fine. I will run a string around it for posterity's sake, though, to ensure everyone is happy knowing it's straight.

I've stuck in a seatpost and stem as well as threaded stuff into every orifice on the frame - yes, even the dropout and gear lever boss threads are in super shape. I did this the other day to ensure the bead-blasting doesn't mess up the threads (this was Andy's suggestion - I didn't even know we had to protect the threads).

Everything checks out great. In fact, I was impressed that I could thread both BB cups in by hand up to the final turns on both sides. I really liked that

DD
Old 06-29-12, 10:17 PM
BlueDevil63 
my name is Jim

Bikes: too many or not enough

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 93 Posts
Actually I did NOT do a full frame alignment check. I did check fork alignment:

and rear dropout alignment:

I also checked that fork was straight. I got this as a complete bike and there was no obvious misalignment. I think it would be wise to do a quick alignment check. I don't expect you will find any serious issues.

As DD mentions all threads were fine during disassembly and seatpost and stem removed easily. No sign of internal rust whatsoever.

Seller - a respectable C&V member - did an alignment check and said it checked out fine. I will run a string around it for posterity's sake, though, to ensure everyone is happy knowing it's straight.

I've stuck in a seatpost and stem as well as threaded stuff into every orifice on the frame - yes, even the dropout and gear lever boss threads are in super shape. I did this the other day to ensure the bead-blasting doesn't mess up the threads (this was Andy's suggestion - I didn't even know we had to protect the threads).

Everything checks out great. In fact, I was impressed that I could thread both BB cups in by hand up to the final turns on both sides. I really liked that

DD
70 Pogliaghi ItalCorse, 72 De Rosa, 72 Masi Gran Criterium, 75 Masi Gran Criterium, 77 Melton, 79 Bianchi Super Leggera, 79 Gios Super Record, 81 Picchio Special, 82 Guerciotti Super Record, 82 Colnago Profil CX, 83 Colnago Superissimo, 84 Fuso

Old 06-30-12, 12:06 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

^ I just re-read BD's PM and he's correct - rear triangle and fork alignment is what he referred to in the PM. In any case, the damage to the top and down tubes was disclosed and since I've decided this frame will be painted by Elliott Bay Bicycles (same folks who restored my 56cm Super), they will automatically check/fix any alignment issues if found.

Additionally, as BD states, there is no internal rust visible. A very sound frame on all accounts.

This frame and the Guerciotti - and a spare, chrome fork for a test-shot of the chrome's durability during the bead-blast - are stowed in my car and ready for the trip tomorrow. I should have naked-frame pics up either tomorrow evening or sometime during the day Sunday.

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 06-30-12 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06-30-12, 08:59 AM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
The timeline suggests in '74 the tangs could have holes or clovers.
Where? I can't find that info? I don't see why '73 isn't plausible.
The fork details are interesting - holes in the fork tang but not in the sides of the crown points.
Old 07-01-12, 12:46 AM
Andycapp

Bikes: Tommasini Super Prestige, Kamra Triathlee, Nishiki Tri-A equipe', Sakai 2000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just got home from a great evening with DD bead-blasting these frame. It was pretty slow going and because of that he decided we should just hit up the lugs, tight spots and any surface rust. He will use paint stripper on the remaining areas. Here's a couple of crappy cell phone pics. I'm sure DD will post some better quality images soon. The crome took a little work but came off with out much issue once I got an "edge" I was able to focus on and get "under" it, so that answers that question.

My take on the job was two pair of awesome C/V shoes and a nice Italian dinner. Spending the evening talking about past and current projects and generally bike-geekin' with DD was made it all worth while in it's own right.

-Andy
Old 07-01-12, 02:49 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

0140 and I just go home - been driving since 0600, watching vintage racing cars at Pacific Raceway with Scozim and bead-blasting bike frames and forks with Andycapp. It's been a full day - one of those rare days one feels they squashed a week's worth of experiences into

More tomorrow, but two big and hearty thanks go out to Scott and Andy: you guys both really hooked me up with some unforgettably fun and cool experiences today!

I am off for a shower and then bed. I'm beat - but in a good way

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 07-02-12 at 08:54 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.