Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Spoiler. 3-week long century ride in the land of the surrender monkeys

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Spoiler. 3-week long century ride in the land of the surrender monkeys

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-12, 01:02 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Creatre
I feel like in Milan San Remo and yesterday's stage Fabian is holding back a bit. He's riding like 90% because he doesn't want a wheelsucker so he can eventually win the stage/sprint. But the thing is, no one can hold fabian's wheel if he guns it. If he went balls out that whole time yesterday, or in Milan San Remo, he would have won both of those. He's backing off the throttle a bit when people are bridging to him, when those people are at the max, if he kept full throttle he would get those wins simply by dropping them.
I think if you think this through a little bit more, you'll realize how foolish and illogical it is. But I'll give a hint: if he's only going 90% to try and get "wheel suckers" to pull through, and could win if he just went "balls out" the whole time, why would he be worried about wheelsuckers? Sheesh.

ETA: Sorry, not trying to be a jerk. I just find excessive Cancellara-fawning at the expense of common sense so tiresome. He's very strong, and his trick is a very good trick, but if anyone can make it to his wheel, he's not strong enough, and anyone who makes it to his wheel and doesn't take advantage of the fact that a huge attack is his only trick is a fool. Pulling through for Fabian Cancellara in any situation like that is just a boneheaded thing to do.

Last edited by grolby; 07-02-12 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-02-12, 01:26 PM
kindablue
Fly on the wall

Bikes: a few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by grolby
He's very strong, and his trick is a very good trick, but if anyone can make it to his wheel, he's not strong enough, and anyone who makes it to his wheel and doesn't take advantage of the fact that a huge attack is his only trick is a fool. Pulling through for Fabian Cancellara in any situation like that is just a boneheaded thing to do.
That's my thought. I would love to see Fabian on a team that could support his attacks, maybe anothestriding TT type that would throw in a spacer block so Fabian could get that 10m he needs for the attack to stick.

It really kills me in the classics season to see him more or less alone out there.

Wouldnt it be awesome if he won the tour? Not gonna happen though...
Old 07-02-12, 02:02 PM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think Fabian could use a few tips in "the art of the attack" from CDR or somesuch.

He's always seated, gradually winding it up from near the front. I can't recall seeing him do a classical, "out of the saddle balls-out sprint from 15 guys back" in order to get a clean gap.

Old 07-02-12, 02:13 PM
YMCA
starting pistol means war

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Creakyknees
I think Fabian could use a few tips in "the art of the attack"
He's always seated, gradually winding it up from near the front. I can't recall seeing him do a classical, "out of the saddle balls-out sprint from 15 guys back" in order to get a clean gap.

Even when he goes from 15 guys back, it seems to be in the saddle.
Almost like he's trying not to project his intentions, but there is always someone who can get there.

I like the "classical" attacks as you called them.
More showmanship involved
Old 07-02-12, 02:13 PM
HMF
SkinnyStrong

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

That's part of the trick, isn't it? He doesn't look like he's attacking when he's attacking, so it catches people off guard.

That's not to say he's not going "balls-out". He managed to drop Boonen in the 2010 Tour of Flanders while staying in the saddle and keeping it "balls-in", and he got a clean gap.

Then there's this:
Old 07-02-12, 02:25 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Cav is such a wheel sucker. He didn't take a single pull.
did you watch any cycling in the last 3 years?
Old 07-02-12, 02:39 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
Titled so to avoid traffic from the 41

Anyways, pick your GC favorites along with points favs, and stage contenders if you feel like it

GC:

1. Cuddles
2. Wiggo
3. S Sanchez

Prologue: meh

Stage 1: I say Gilbert gets first win of the year
Without the "surrender monkeys" we would still be an English colony...just saying!
Old 07-02-12, 02:39 PM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HMF
That's part of the trick, isn't it? He doesn't look like he's attacking when he's attacking, so it catches people off guard.

That's not to say he's not going "balls-out". He managed to drop Boonen in the 2010 Tour of Flanders while staying in the saddle and keeping it "balls-in", and he got a clean gap.

Then there's this:
That is absolutely my favorite bike racing clip of all time. And he almost pulled it off again on Sunday.

But. In 2007 he was clear with nobody on his wheel from over a K out. He got lucky / or / he wasn't as marked then as he is now. That same move doesn't work anymore.

When he dropped Tommeke in De Ronde, that was the steepest part of the hill, a pure power move. Legs v legs, Fabian wins.

But Sunday's finish was different; not even Gilbert could break away on the steepest part of the hill, and Fabian was still way back until he made his move at the switchback (which btw was the perfect spot to go).

I'm not suggesting that something as simple as "sprinting out of saddle" might've won him the stage... naaah ok, yes I am. Who knows.

/ back to my armchair.
Old 07-02-12, 02:40 PM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
did you watch any cycling in the last 3 years?
It was sarcasm. Playing off of the various "Sagan is a wheelsucker" comments yesterday.
Old 07-02-12, 02:42 PM
McTufferton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
I've tuned out already this year. Aint the same, without Contador and Andy. I am more excited about the Vuelta.

I hope anyone except Wiggins wins, b/c in case Wiggins does win, the British media is going to be absolutely intolerable for about 6 months after the Tour. I cancelled 2 subscriptions to Brit cycling mags after Froome came second in the Vuelta (really - under normal circumstances, who gives a crap about a second-place Vuelta finish?).
You're right... it's better.
Old 07-02-12, 04:44 PM
kindablue
Fly on the wall

Bikes: a few

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Needed to be embedded

Sounds strange but I think for some TT types, they can put power down much more comfortably and efficiently from the saddle. Its not really the sprint that he can do, its the 1k power. Maybe if he spent some time out of the saddle, that total 1k power would be less. I think he 'crescendo's' with those sort of attacks (aka he doesn't have a jump that would do enough damage for the energy it takes).

From all the titles that that guy carries, I trust that he is using himself as efficiently as he can.
Old 07-02-12, 04:56 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

It was sarcasm. Playing off of the various "Sagan is a wheelsucker" comments yesterday.
fail on my part...
That is absolutely my favorite bike racing clip of all time. And he almost pulled it off again on Sunday.

But. In 2007 he was clear with nobody on his wheel from over a K out. He got lucky / or / he wasn't as marked then as he is now. That same move doesn't work anymore.

When he dropped Tommeke in De Ronde, that was the steepest part of the hill, a pure power move. Legs v legs, Fabian wins.

But Sunday's finish was different; not even Gilbert could break away on the steepest part of the hill, and Fabian was still way back until he made his move at the switchback (which btw was the perfect spot to go).

I'm not suggesting that something as simple as "sprinting out of saddle" might've won him the stage... naaah ok, yes I am. Who knows.

/ back to my armchair.
tbf, Gilbert was way out of position on that hill. He used to be a real fighter, getting up there for the good positions. I was surprised to see Hincapie towing Cuddles up but that GIlbert was no where to be found

Going w/ Phil Gil tomorrow. Just 700m of drag racing upwards. Either that or Old Man Cuddles pulls something out of the bag

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Without the "surrender monkeys" we would still be an English colony...just saying!
speaking of English, what's a proletariat like yourself doing in the sanctum of the inner party?
Old 07-02-12, 05:02 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
I have always wondered how great Cancellera would be on the track in the pursuit.
Old 07-02-12, 08:16 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 103 Posts
Imagine a pro in a land speed record thing? The hour record is something like 50 mph and the guy that broke it "had to hold 270 watts" or something like that. The "dial it up to 400w" thing would hold true here.

The top speed one is over 80 mph but I think they had legitimate track kilo riders doing them. I remember reading their wattages and thinking "omg how do they accelerate once they get up to speed?!" It was something like 800w to get up to speed, 1000-1200 watts once up there, and a 1500-1600 watt kick. Something like that. I remember the 800w part and thinking "Um, okay, I can barely do that for about 20 seconds, this guy did it and then went even harder."
Old 07-02-12, 08:33 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk
I have always wondered how great Cancellera would be on the track in the pursuit.
Scary good.

I think it's pretty funny that people would believe they know better than Fabian how Fabian should race his bike. I'd have to defer to the guy. He's probably one of the most marked people in bike racing.

FWIW, at times I drop people and get separation without getting out of the saddle. Often it gives you an extra second of hesitation before folks react.

Peter Sagan picks good wheels, but he's still got some learning to do. Next year...he's going to be scary.

Last edited by Racer Ex; 07-02-12 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-02-12, 08:52 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I spent the day reading some good FB arguments amongst track sprinters talking about how Cavendish can't even pull out an endurance medal at the Olympics, and how female track riders have better 200 times than the pro tour sprinters. Good stuff. These weren't 41 guys arguing either. Stars and stripes. Track sprinters get worked up.
Old 07-02-12, 09:29 PM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Like Ex said, i think Fabian knows what hes doing. Im not sure what all the fluff is about yesterdays stage...of course sagan sat on fabians wheel. Why wouldnt he? He wanted the stage win and doesnt care about gc, and fabian wanted a few seconds
to stay in yellow a few more days and possibly the stage for the cherry on top.
Old 07-03-12, 07:44 AM
jwible
Draught

Bikes: N-1 where N = number needed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PSA for today: Don't chop Cavs wheel.
Old 07-03-12, 08:44 AM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
I think if you think this through a little bit more, you'll realize how foolish and illogical it is. But I'll give a hint: if he's only going 90% to try and get "wheel suckers" to pull through, and could win if he just went "balls out" the whole time, why would he be worried about wheelsuckers? Sheesh.

ETA: Sorry, not trying to be a jerk. I just find excessive Cancellara-fawning at the expense of common sense so tiresome. He's very strong, and his trick is a very good trick, but if anyone can make it to his wheel, he's not strong enough, and anyone who makes it to his wheel and doesn't take advantage of the fact that a huge attack is his only trick is a fool. Pulling through for Fabian Cancellara in any situation like that is just a boneheaded thing to do.
This is not foolish and illogical. He's just lacking the confidence right now to go full out because of his crash. Instead of being confident that he can ride away from everyone, he's hesitating, and worrying about who's on his wheel. This gives Sagan or whoever a chance to recover. Once they have a chance to recover it's game over. If he kept going full bore, those guys wouldn't recover and eventually be dropped. Just because someone is strong enough to close the gap on Cancellara, doesn't mean they are strong enough to hold that pace after the catch.

It's the same thing for climbers. They all think they need to "attack" in order to win climbing stages. That's not necessarily what you have to do. Riding a hard tempo on the front will drop guys too, and often times its more successful to drop people if you are strong than trying to be punchy, and then everyone follows and you all play chicken and recover for a while.
Old 07-03-12, 11:12 AM
HMF
SkinnyStrong

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just watched the stage 3 finish in flemish. Did you know that "chickendance" is the same in flemish as it is in english? cray.
Old 07-03-12, 11:12 AM
climber7

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Xenith Comp

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Peter Sagan picks good wheels, but he's still got some learning to do. Next year...he's going to be scary.
...next year?
Old 07-03-12, 11:15 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Originally Posted by HMF
I just watched the stage 3 finish in flemish. Did you know that "chickendance" is the same in flemish as it is in english? cray.
i'm pretty sure you meant Dutch or Flemish Dutch. Flemish is a group of people.
Originally Posted by climber7
...next year?
well, no wins in the classics yet, but there are a few more left (San Sebastian, two in Quebec, and Lombardia) plus the Olympics & World Championships.
Old 07-03-12, 11:18 AM
HMF
SkinnyStrong

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i'm pretty sure you meant Dutch or Flemish Dutch. Flemish is a group of people.

well, no wins in the classics yet, but there are a few more left (San Sebastian, two in Quebec, and Lombardia) plus the Olympics & World Championships.
yea, I did. I was pretty sure I was getting something wrong.
Old 07-03-12, 11:19 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

jus yanking your chain

though a lot of people make that mistake, which is on par with calling what we speak in the United States as "American."
Old 07-03-12, 11:51 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jus yanking your chain

though a lot of people make that mistake, which is on par with calling what we speak in the United States as "American."
I speak American...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.