Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Steven Covey

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Steven Covey

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-12, 06:12 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Steven Covey

Misspelled his first name-should be Stephen.

Author of The 7 habits of highly effective people..............has died from a cycling accident this past April

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ntcmp=features

Stephen R. Covey, author of "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" as well as three other books that have all sold more than a million copies, has died. He was 79.

In a statement sent to employees of a Utah consulting firm Covey co-founded, his family said the writer and motivational speaker died at a hospital in Idaho Falls, Idaho, early Monday due to complications from a bicycle accident in April.

"In his final hours, he was surrounded by his loving wife and each one of his children and their spouses, just as he always wanted," the family said.

Covey was hospitalized after being knocked unconscious in the bicycle accident on a steep road in the foothills of Provo, Utah, about 45 miles south of Salt Lake City.

At the time, his publicist, Debra Lund, said doctors had not found any signs of long-term damage to his head.

"He just lost control on his bike and crashed," Lund said. "He was wearing a helmet, which is good news."

Covey is the author of "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" and co-founder of Utah-based professional services company FranklinCovey.

Catherine Sagers, Covey's daughter, told The Salt Lake Tribune in April that her father had suffered some bleeding on his brain after the bicycle accident.

Read more: https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...#ixzz20pnZ0x7o

Last edited by jppe; 07-16-12 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-16-12, 07:23 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
... books and the Franklin-Covey Organizers were a big part of our lives.
Agreed. Prayers for him, where ever he is now, and for his family.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 07-16-12, 10:11 PM
Banded Krait

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, very sorry to hear this. His book, The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, had a deep impact on me. It was highly original, well written, and chock-full of very good, very helpful ideas. He built a multi-million dollar "empire" upon it.

The New York Times has a nice writeup about Covey: https://tinyurl.com/d96be48
Old 07-17-12, 10:32 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I looked at the initial article about his accident. From the description I suspect his helmet was not properly fitted, as when he crashed he has a large hematoma on his forehead. Before my next ride I'm going to make sure my helmet is totally dialed in, and so should you.

Old 07-17-12, 10:51 AM
jim p

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is very sad that we lose good people. Prayers are sent for him and his family.

I know that helmets help to prevent some injuries but they just can't prevent all injuries. I have often wondered why we don't have better helmets which cover more of the forehead and also the sides of our heads. I remember the last crash that I had that I was sliding along with my lip touching the asphalt and I had to rotate my head forward so that the helmet would be sliding on the asphalt instead of my lip. A dog trying to not get hit by a car took my front wheel out and just like touching wheels in a pace line things got real ugly fast.
Old 07-17-12, 11:26 AM
Blanchje

Bikes: GT Carbon Grade, Jamis Nova Pro, Giant Sedona

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sorry for his family's loss but I salute him for being out there at 79. If that's how I end up I'll take it.
Old 07-17-12, 06:53 PM
Timtruro

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
He must have been an avid biker, sad for his family, but he did live a full life and for that they can be grateful.
Old 07-18-12, 05:43 PM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blanchje
I'm sorry for his family's loss but I salute him for being out there at 79. If that's how I end up I'll take it.
+1!
Old 07-22-12, 06:22 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Sad to read this. I never, ever read self-help books but somehow a friend of mine convinced me to buy the audiotape from his original books and I listened to it while on a long drive. Really like it; I still think of some of the things he wrote in that book. He built quite an empire based on it...